• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I'm definitely glad I didn't listen to some of the people on the internet who are trashing on the game as a whole. Yeah, it has issues, but nothing big enough to detract from the main draw, which is its gameplay. I don't think this is "another Bethesda failure" as some people are claiming. Granted, I also really enjoyed 76, so maybe I just have poor taste in videogames.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Avalanche is really bad at designing trophies. There's always one or two that are either easily missable or pracically almost missable (i.e. you'll need to be aware of the trophy during your playthrough, otherwise it'll be a pain in the ass to complete later) (there were some in Mad Max that involved a lot of random encounters and farming ...)

Like, apparently there's a trophy that can only be completed at a single location (kill a Crusher with your Phoenix) - that location is intended to be somewhat inaccessible for vehicles (you can't even warp in your car).

If you complete that location without using your car, you'll have to restart the game.

So, for any completionists, read up on the "CRUSHED" trophy beforehand.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Also, FPS games where you can double jump and actualy pull yourself up ledges will ruin other FPS games for me, for a while.

Like returning to Horizon after completing BotW.

Ghostwriter74

Oct 27, 2017
Like, apparently there's a trophy that can only be completed at a single location (kill a Crusher with your Phoenix) - that location is intended to be somewhat inaccessible for vehicles (you can't even warp in your car).

If you complete that location without using your car, you'll have to restart the game.

Wrong. There is another Location near a Mission with a Mutant Nest. I got my Trophy at this Location.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Only done the immediate intro but certainly enjoy the feel of it so far, though now I've been spat out into the wilderness I immediately came upon a large sentinel type machine coming down to earth.

It's beam one-shot me but I respawned and chipped it down, eventually blowing it up. It said there were 3 containers dropped from it but I can't see anything marked, nor see any obvious containers around when I look in the immediate vicinity or wreckage.

Not sure what I'm even looking for, anyone give me a nudge? Dumped like 60% of my ammo into that thing so, not sure what for lol.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Only done the immediate intro but certainly enjoy the feel of it so far, though now I've been spat out into the wilderness I immediately came upon a large sentinel type machine coming down to earth.

It's beam one-shot me but I respawned and chipped it down, eventually blowing it up. It said there were 3 containers dropped from it but I can't see anything marked, nor see any obvious containers around when I look in the immediate vicinity or wreckage.

Not sure what I'm even looking for, anyone give me a nudge? Dumped like 60% of my ammo into that thing so, not sure what for lol.

The organogenesis diamond on your map are missions. If you're not sure what to do, those should at least give you some direction.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The organogenesis diamond on your map are missions. If you're not sure what to do, those should at least give you some direction.
Oh sure, have the three markers on the compass. I just mean I was driving to one, saw this giant diamond space robot fly down, went and killed it and it says there's three containers I now have to find - but I can't see them?

Edit: I've got it. Pink boxes around the location, couple on the roof and road a bit away. Thought they were on or close to the Sentinel!

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Going into an outpost in the next Far Cry is certainly not gonna feel the same after this,that's for sure......time to step up your game Ubisoft.

Jan 11, 2019
Goddamnit, the only thing I can think about is go home after work and clear the map. This game makes me feel like a goddamn kid again. Haven't felt that way in years. :)

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of lame shit is this? He always said he enjoyed it, it's literally in the headline

I grow tired of people using hyperbole to get points across to the level where it becomes clickbaity. Reading an article with someone saying they feel like garbage would have me think you'd stop playing or need a timeout to recompose yourself after being hurt. Not dive right into writing about toilets.

If people want to have serious conversations about things stop being so hyperbolic in the way you frame your points. A massive problem with the wider internet right now.

Oct 25, 2017
I grow tired of people using hyperbole to get points across to the level where it becomes clickbaity. Reading an article with someone saying they feel like garbage would have me think you'd stop playing or need a timeout to recompose yourself after being hurt. Not dive right into writing about toilets.

If people want to have serious conversations about things stop being so hyperbolic in the way you frame your points.
The headline is "Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage". So him enjoying it is right in there and you probably shouldn't complain about "clickbait" if you leave that part out.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The headline is "Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage". So him enjoying it is right in there and you probably shouldn't complain about "clickbait" if you leave that part out.

Well, maybe it's just a translation error going across the seas into Europe, but when I feel like garbage or absolute trash I don't tend to be in the mood to play or support the said thing that makes me feel that way.

Hence why I often question the sincerity of the points people make when they appear hyperbolic. Even if you've got an objectively good point to make, don't window dress it in hyperbole.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The game is a lot of fun even with his shortcomings, i really love the fact that you can upgrade basically everything, the sense of progression is really strong in this game and nightmare difficulty is hard enough to make you use all of your ability.

Also people listen to me, you have to start your adventure with the old scientist missions so you can unlock the project from him so you can highlight loot with the concentration, it's a game changer during exploration.

The gunplay and movement is so far better compared with games like far cry that even repetitive things become fun, i was bored with the last far cry like 15 hours in...

P.s. for people who like kinetic fps with good movements and weapon feedback, don't sleep on shadow warrior 2.

Jan 11, 2019
is really strong in this game and nightmare difficulty is hard enough to make you use all of your ability.

Also people listen to me, you have to start your adventure with the old scientist missions so you can unlock the project from him so you can highlight loot with the concentration, it's a game changer during exploration.

LIES! You have to start with the guy in Gunbarrel so you get the Shotgun as early as possible! Then don't do any side missions and go straight to Kvasir. :)

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Decided to rent it from Redbox last night and man the combat is super good. It just clicks and feels smooth, don't really care for the story at all. I've been doing Ark's and doing side missions here and there.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe it's just a translation error going across the seas into Europe, but when I feel like garbage or absolute trash I don't tend to be in the mood to play or support the said thing that makes me feel that way.

Hence why I often question the sincerity of the points people make when they appear hyperbolic. Even if you've got an objectively good point to make, don't window dress it in hyperbole.

It's not hyperbolic at all imo. The article backs up the title perfectly.

Him enjoying the game despite feeling this way is not a contradiction, either. If you've been made to feel garbage about something your entire life, you get used to it.

Last edited:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The bug that keeps changing my Ranger armour to the Nicholas Raine armour everytime I exit a vehicle is so annoying, how did this make it past testing.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Played about an hour or so after getting my copy today.

This is just what I wanted and I enjoyed every minute.

It's a bit rough around the edges but I dig the atmosphere and the combat feels great. There is lots to do and lots of systems to dig into.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't think i've seen this mentioned, but if you change the time of day in photo mode, it stays that time of day when you leave photo mode. So if you hate / love playing during a specific time of day, you can change it via photo mode.
I noticed this last night. Then I kept playing with it and it crashed my game. Hasn't crashed it since though. I mess with that all the time now.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Is it just me or are hitboxes slightly too small for an FPS of this speed? I keep missing shots with KBM that probably would have hit in other FPS games.
It's the sort of thing that probably won't be noticed when played on a controller since autoaim will correct your aim towards the center of the enemy's model anyway.
Makes me think like the game wasn't properly playtested with KBM.

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing the game on the Xbox One X but I was curious how it would look on on a native 1080P screen so got the Xbox One S out of storage and hooked it up in my PSVR gaming setup area with a 1080P TV and the game looks so much better. The scaling is what murders the visual quality on a 4K screen in my experience. I mean it's still not an amazing looking game or anything but I see a marked improvement and it plays fine. Is it even a native 1080P on the Xbox One S or is it dynamic or 900P or something? In any case it looks better than playing on a 4K screen, for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Something I meant to ask yesterday... how do Augmentations work?

I bought a weapon aug, now I have 1/10 in my inventory. Do I need to apply it to something?

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game due to the fact someone online said some of the characters in the towns are named after wrestling moves and wrestlers and due to the fact that Power Trip has music in it. I hope I get some of the goodness tonight

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
LIES! You have to start with the guy in Gunbarrel so you get the Shotgun as early as possible! Then don't do any side missions and go straight to Kvasir. :)

Hah, that's exactly what I did last night, so now I have the shotgun and the two upgrade paths available. The third character I'll get around to, she doesn't seem to have as many useful upgrades.

The more I play, the more I'm really digging the game, it's a lot of fun.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I love the enemy AI encounters, where I'm able to be inventive with doling out carnage but the second I have to engage in the open world itself (driving, traveling from point a to b, etc) at any capacity kills all my motivation and momentum; fuck I do not care for the open world portion of this game. If I could just go from mission to mission in from a hub, that be significantly more tolerable. I really enjoy shooting things in this game but that's it, and that's fine, I guess. Glad I was able to get this on the cheap.

This is another one of those games/sequels that feel like it should have been released 4-5 years ago, because of a lot of the design choices are kind of past due.

Oct 25, 2017
If I could just go from mission to mission in from a hub, that be significantly more tolerable

Haha, they actually updated the first game with just this thing, basically a level select. T was a bit odd because the game had to offer up load outs that kind of approximated what you might have had for any given area, but it worked alright.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the author who said Rage 2 made him feel like garbage was able to get over it days later to write about a bathroom

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/14/18623122/rage-2-environment-building-impressions-bathroom

As for the game itself don't think I'll try it for a while, Doom/Wolfenstein seems like the FPS game to beat still.

There's an interesting write-up about the mutant design that references Plante's article and details the what and why of the design, how it compares to other games that also seemingly use mutant tropes, without being overly critical or expressing "outrage".

https://www.plentyofhominids.com/bl...-misrepresenting-genetic-conditions-14may2019

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an interesting write-up about the mutant design that references Plante's article and details the what and why of the design, how it compares to other games that also seemingly use mutant tropes, without being overly critical or expressing "outrage".

https://www.plentyofhominids.com/bl...-misrepresenting-genetic-conditions-14may2019

That is a weak as hell "Gotcha", person laid out clearly their thoughts.

Thinking the author was veering into some hyperbole is not saying the author didn't have some points worth discussing. That was all my impressions were given the quick turnaround to write about pretty pointless observations after tackling something they stated made them feel like garbage (more serious).

I don't think I'm the only person out there that thought some of the framings of the original article veered into hyperbole, but that's just my read of some of it.

I also didn't think it was outrage, nor did I use that word. Some of it's quite interesting to see why someone would play a game like this and feel that way, while I wouldn't think twice about mutant or alien design. But I question the extent of just how "garbage" someone may have felt because to me that's a really powerful and derogatory expression of emotion. I also struggle to connect how something that could make me personally feel like garbage, would be something I could overcome to keep invested in.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking the author was veering into some hyperbole is not saying the author didn't have some points worth discussing. That was all my impressions were given the quick turnaround to write about pretty pointless observations after tackling something they stated made them feel like garbage (more serious).

I don't think I'm the only person out there that thought some of the framings of the original article veered into hyperbole, but that's just my read of some of it.

I also didn't think it was outrage, nor did I use that word. Some of it's quite interesting to see why someone would play a game like this and feel that way, while I wouldn't think twice about mutant or alien design. But I question the extent of just how "garbage" someone may have felt because to me that's a really powerful and derogatory expression of emotion. I also struggle to connect how something that could make me personally feel like garbage, would be something I could overcome to keep invested in.
Your main hangup seem to be over the use of the word "garbage". I mean it's been slang for not feeling good or not a good feeling for forever. How many times people have said "I ate/drank some blank, now i feel like garabage", do you chastise them if the later ate the same thing again?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your main hangup seem to be over the use of the word "garbage". I mean it's been slang for not feeling good or not a good feeling for forever. How many times people have said "I ate/drank some blank, now i feel like garabage", do you chastise them if the later ate the same thing again?

Garbage to me is pretty dehumanzing, yes, so maybe that is my fault. But the article also mentions the term subhuman, mental health disorders and a few other things.

So maybe I was taking the way it was framed more seriously than the author? In which case to me, that is what hyperbole can be. Writing something that implies a real moral conundrum, then appearing to almost not quite fall into the expectation of what you wrote?

I mean, if the article is to be compared to eating some food you didn't like, then trying it again, that undermines how serious it is framed does it not? I don't see how you could compare mental health disorders and what it is to be treated as subhuman, to eating brussel sprouts, not liking them, but then trying them again a week later?

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Garbage to me is pretty dehumanzing, yes, so maybe that is my fault. But the article also mentions the term subhuman, mental health disorders and a few other things.

So maybe I was taking the way it was framed more seriously than the author? In which case to me, that is what hyperbole can be. Writing something that implies a real moral conundrum, then appearing to almost not quite fall into the expectation of what you wrote?

I mean, if the article is to be compared to eating some food you didn't like, then trying it again, that undermines how serious it is framed does it not? I don't see how you could compare mental health disorders and what it is to be treated as subhuman, to eating brussel sprouts, not liking them, but then trying them again a week later?

That's a terrible analogy because the article isn't comparing the game to garbage but that it makes the writer of that article feel like garbage to see how cleft palate is represented in the game world. Unless you can feel like brussell sprouts that analogy isn't working.

The article writer clearly laid out that they were having fun with the game but personally didn't like encountering the design choice of using genetic conditions that aren't uncommon to designate them as mutants and bad guys, and that it's a trope seen elsewhere and kinda gross, especially if you're a person who has/had a cleft palate. The article even mentions how they interviewed the studio director and they it wasn't meant that way but how they could see it being interpreted so, and even gave excuses as to why they might not have made changes to the design so far in.

It's not 'This game is garbage' or 'People who made or enjoy this game are garbage' it's 'I'm having fun but my personal experience with a cleft palate makes me feel like garbage that anyone with a cleft palate in this game appears to be a mutant bad guy to kill'. That's not hyperbole, it's a nuanced personal opinion. It's also an interesting critical perspective because just like the studio director said, if that's not your world you just may not notice.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There's a whole thread about the "Garbage" article. I feel like all this talk should be taken there.

Anyway, got that double jump last night which is really nice. When you start combining all these powers it really feels like it's opening up alot. Also did some Bash TV... the npcs there sure are something.