• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Beat the game just recently. Like the reviews said, mediocre open world, great gameplay. Just the same activities peppered all over the game world, no variation, no fun or memorable side quests, just clear this area or blow that up. Only one vehicle in the whole game that can be upgraded so activities that reward vehicle upgrade parts feel pointless pretty fast, then the only way to get weapon and power upgrades is through those chests, which are tedious to track down.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of NPCs you can talk with that will give you a location on the map to go to and a reward for completing the objective, which is typically for clearing out an outpost anyway. Like Lug Nuts where an NPC told me the location of a nest of mutants to clear out with a massive one at the end. Drove to it, but got caught in the middle of a Goon/Immortal Shrouded shootout where they were killing each other but happy to also shoot at me, went through the tunnels shooting mutants and faced the big guy at the end. Was a pretty decent side mission even though I clipped through the world at one point and needed to restart a checkpoint.

But the majority of NPC dialogue is overly long and means nothing in the long run as there's no real twists in their story. Like a guy told me his grandma was a ranger and asked me to go convince her to move in with him because he was worried about her. Found her, Ranger body hidden by light environmental puzzle, she dead. And that was it, no going back to tell the grandson she's dead, nothing else to the story, her body was just part of a checklist of collectibles and the NPC dialogue existed only to point me in the right direction and was waaaaay too much talking for what essentially meant nothing.

What cracks me up is for how bad the writing is overall, they must've had a super bored writing intern that they weren't sure what to do with because of all the unneeded named characters that sound like they came from a pro-wrestling name generator (Bruise Armbar is my current favorite), all the way too lengthy lines of dialogue, and that the junk you find is almost all named. Someone went through and named all the junk even though it's all worth the same amount and represented by the same graphical box.

If you go back to Wellspring, it's that guy standing to the left side of the entrance. But boy oh boy is the dialogue terrible. "Oh no granny is dead oh nooooo." And then he moves on and repeats phrases "hey did you check on granny?". It's atrocious, so maybe skip it 😂

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy open world games. I don't mind taking a break from story missions to do some shallow checklist activities - it can even be enjoyable - but seriously, did they design and implement all of the mundane, repetitive filler first, and then realize they had no time left to create the story missions? There is so little content beyond the open world bloat; it's a bit shocking.

Plus, nothing ever happens when traveling from point A to point B. Where are the random events? Vehicular ambushes? Anything of interest, whatsoever? Unless I was trying to take out a convoy, I never had any reason to fire my vehicular weapons. Enemy vehicles will drive by and never engage; if parked by the side of the road they'll just sit there.

I don't imagine anyone bought this game for the story, but why did they even bother bringing back characters from the first game? I remember being so annoyed at the original RAGE; setting up character after character to be major players in the story, only to unceremoniously abandon all of them a few missions later. I assumed they were looking to remedy that in RAGE 2, but it's even worse here.

This game is such a shame. The combat is great and wonderfully satisfying, but it's let down by everything around it.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but a lot of the side stuff feels like it could be their own main mission. People looking just at the number of main missions are really doing the game a disservice.
Where are you finding this side stuff? Because it's all the same stuff over and over again for me, destroying convoys, copy pasted bosses, clearing enemy outposts, clearing enemy outposts but also blowing up gas tanks, and clearing enemy outposts and also opening a gate.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
my copy shipped from gamefly.........was actually a lot quicker than i was expecting since i didn't get a second game back in a timely fashion.

Looking forward to giving this a go and seeing how much the open world really messed with the design even more. Because the original Rage suffered even in that small of an open environment.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I absolutely love this game. I really hope they have new game plus lined up as part of their plans for updates. It would be a blast to crack this up to max difficulty with everything unlocked from the start

Same here. I've got 2 zones left to clear out, and them I'm done until DLC or new game plus hits. Really hoping for a new game plus, as this is one game I'd love to roll through again at max power for everything.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've put about 4-5 hours into the game so far, unlocked 3 arks and finally just went to the first main mission guy, John.

The game looks just like it plays. Segments of the game look great while a lot of the rest of the game looks bland. Muddy textures, bland and generic environments. Its very inconsistent.

Like everyone else has said, gun play is top notch. The weapons feel hefty and they pack a punch. Yet on the downside, I feel like when we get shot at, our life drains so fast and the feedback beyond the beeping sound isnt very good.

I cant put my finger on it, but this doesnt feel like the first game at all. I know the tone is going for "wacky fun" but it feels very "borderlands" than Rage. Rage 1 felt a lot more like an RPG than this one. The world in the first was more interesting and felt connected.

The driving feels fine but the world lacks interests and so far I haven't done any races yet but I liked upgrading the car in the first one.

Like the recent Prey game, this only feels like a sequel to Rage in name. Still enjoying it somewhat though.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
You'll find this game at half price pretty soon, seems like it tanked hard. I know I'm waiting for a deep discount.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Where are you finding this side stuff? Because it's all the same stuff over and over again for me, destroying convoys, copy pasted bosses, clearing enemy outposts, clearing enemy outposts but also blowing up gas tanks, and clearing enemy outposts and also opening a gate.

I was early on in the game when I said this but I'll stand by it. Those "copy paste" bosses have elaborate areas attached to them and I feel like some of the ark areas and outposts are nicely fleshed out. Sure there isn't much story but I like the world they have built. I actually don't like using the copter as it eliminates taking in the world they have built.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I keep spawning at the same location now. The last place I cleared was an ark in the Dune Sea and it spawns me there regardless of where I was previously. I crashed an Icarus in The Wilds, and it respawned me in the same ark way down in the Dune Sea.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
If you go back to Wellspring, it's that guy standing to the left side of the entrance. But boy oh boy is the dialogue terrible. "Oh no granny is dead oh nooooo." And then he moves on and repeats phrases "hey did you check on granny?". It's atrocious, so maybe skip it 😂

This is my shocked face

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me, because I don't give a shit about the wingstick. That will be the last set of upgrades I ever do.

I am almost at the end, just one more mission before the last one unlocks. I still have not seen the "cheat wizard" so oh well.

I've had a blast. Went through the first set of story missions right away, then found all of the arks, then spent the last few days running from point to point open-world style. I know there are plans to keep this game updated, so I'll be coming back after every update.

Menu still sucks after the 1+ gig update on Xbox One X which I don't even know what it did.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to be having the opposite reaction to a lot of people. The more I play the game, the more I like it.

It's all mindless open world grind, but the combat is fantastic. I'm just not getting tired of wandering around and exploring. I don't want it to end.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I seem to be having the opposite reaction to a lot of people. The more I play the game, the more I like it.

It's all mindless open world grind, but the combat is fantastic. I'm just not getting tired of wandering around and exploring. I don't want it to end.

I'm with you. The wasteland is really cool and it reminds me so much of Mad Max. While the driving is nothing to write home about I feel like it is the only way to experience the world. The copter is a mistake and shouldn't be in the game.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I must be dumb, blind and deaf, because even with a guide the spy drone tropy is a total pain in the ass for me. Is there good guide that shows which log nr is in which destination? I don't want to drive to every location again

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any completion tracking in-game, or do I just have to see what's not ticked? I'm coming up to the end and wondering if i've done most of the world.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah that's my take on it too though I completely get the criticisms of it. I'm still getting all the arks and playing with the new powers/guns while doing outposts on the way and enjoying it. But I also typically like most Avalanche open world games where they give you a bunch of great toys to play in their shallow sandboxes.

Is there any completion tracking in-game, or do I just have to see what's not ticked? I'm coming up to the end and wondering if i've done most of the world.

There's statistics but they're pretty broken.

Volkoff

Oct 27, 2017
Yo-hio
Yeah that's my take on it too though I completely get the criticisms of it. I'm still getting all the arks and playing with the new powers/guns while doing outposts on the way and enjoying it. But I also typically like most Avalanche open world games where they give you a bunch of great toys to play in their shallow sandboxes.

There's statistics but they're pretty broken.

Broken indeed. Using the suspend/resume (Xbox one), the game thinks I've already put 48+ hours into it. I can assure you, I have not.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
About 5 hours into the game I realized that this game essentially had no story so I just put on a podcast while I finished it.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm very curious if Avalanche is responsible for the driving. Mad Max's driving felt so good and Rage 2's is just completely stiff and underwhelming. Can't fathom how they could forgot how to make an excellent driving system in the same gen.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Finished the game today,cleared 95% of the optional outposts etc.Certainly the worst campaign I've ever played in an open world game(or probably any game tbh),just a few outpost clearing missions tacked together,really not sure what they were thinking.The shooting was sublime and the weapons lots of fun.
A very strange game overall.....my thoughts on it are very mixed.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
the person in charge of hiding storage containers are up on crimes against humanity right?

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaaand finished! I hope the DLC is beefy and adds a lot to do, because I had fun playing this almost every day since release. Guess I'll shelve it until the next update.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Is there a second map at some point in the story? I feel like I'm emptying this one out pretty fast.

And you're all wrong about wingsticks, they're great. They felt more integral to the experience in Rage 1 I'll admit, if only because they didn't give you all the superpowers.

The menus though, lol. Maybe I'm just a dumbass but it took several hours more than it should have before I realized there was ANOTHER set of nested menus that allowed you to get "perks" or whatever for all your nanotrite abilities. My face when I realized I could shave down the cooldown on Slam by like 15 seconds ...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is there a second map at some point in the story? I feel like I'm emptying this one out pretty fast.

And you're all wrong about wingsticks, they're great. They felt more integral to the experience in Rage 1 I'll admit, if only because they didn't give you all the superpowers.

The menus though, lol. Maybe I'm just a dumbass but it took several hours more than it should have before I realized there was ANOTHER set of nested menus that allowed you to get "perks" or whatever for all your nanotrite abilities. My face when I realized I could shave down the cooldown on Slam by like 15 seconds ...
The menus in this game are atrocious.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
reading the topic and i think i'm the only one with ZERO problem with menus and upgrade system...(playing on pc)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK

No,just one map.I did virtually everything and it took me just over 22hrs which is pretty quick for an open world game.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
When I am in combat I am having the time of my life but everything else is tedious as fuck

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
YES, who OKed this design, you can handcap yourself so easily.....I know because I did it.

Darg

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My statistics page is just greyed out, I cannot click on it. But the save file says 20 hours play time when i have played no more than 5 hours.

Also has anyone had an issue with clearing objectives at a camp? I think the place is called Stilltown and I can get the collectables but I cannot do the 'eliminate all enemies', I have been around the camp with a fine-tooth comb and cannot find another soul in that place. I have even gone away and come back and cleared it again but the objective never clears.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you. The wasteland is really cool and it reminds me so much of Mad Max. While the driving is nothing to write home about I feel like it is the only way to experience the world. The copter is a mistake and shouldn't be in the game.

I'm with you regarding using the car. The Icarus completely ruins the scale of the world AND only helps point out that the engine wasn't designed for the draw distances enabled by flight. The game world LODs don't hold up at all when you're up high.

I thought the Icarus was a godsend at first, but after an hour or so, i missed the feeling of being grounded in the world that the car brings. It felt a lot to me like when flying mounts were introduced in World of Warcraft. I thought it was something i wanted, but i went back to terrestrial mounts because it really felt like the best way to experience the world that was crafted.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I'm with you regarding using the car. The Icarus completely ruins the scale of the world AND only helps point out that the engine wasn't designed for the draw distances enabled by flight. The game world LODs don't hold up at all when you're up high.

I thought the Icarus was a godsend at first, but after an hour or so, i missed the feeling of being grounded in the world that the car brings. It felt a lot to me like when flying mounts were introduced in World of Warcraft. I thought it was something i wanted, but i went back to terrestrial mounts because it really felt like the best way to experience the world that was crafted.

Yeah, I used it to get all the Arks but it feels like the game absolutely wasn't designed for the copter. Would've been nice it they'd added some guns and flying enemy types or something, but that would probably break the game since it's make conveys a joke and enemies don't seem to really look up when I fly over camps.

YES, who OKed this design, you can handcap yourself so easily.....I know because I did it.

I was about 4 hours in and hit the wrong button and was trying to figure out if I missed a tutorial that told be about the sub menus because man the timer reductions are sure welcome.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well, took back my rental and gave myself a couple days to reflect on my time with it. The shooting is butter smooth and amazing, I like the abilities and some of the set pieces for gun fights, the world is pretty and I love the smooth frames on my pro. That said, everything else is just...lifeless? The open world feels empty, boxes either have money or a predictable upgrade, the support characters are uninteresting and the MC is bland as all get out.

Too much on my plate right now, going back to finish the last quarter of days gone. This is fun and I'll be back on the cheaps, just so much more interesting stuff to play right now.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The more I play of this game the more I feel like this game is a failure as both a sequel to Rage and a follow-up to Mad Max. I played the shit out of both of those games but damn this is never hitting the high points of either of them.

The shooting sections are just nowhere near as well crafted and fun as Rage's were and the world design is nowhere near as fun to just driver around and explore as Mad Max's. I don't think I'm going to finish this one, I might just go back and replay those two games tbh.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game after 15 hours. I don't mind it being short as I don't have enough time for long af games anymore. I enjoyed what I played and I believe is a solid 7.8/10 game.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what's the best layout for key bindings on M/K. Feels awkward as fuck with the standard layout but I can't seem to get it to feel natural. Feels overwhelming tbh

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
My statistics page is just greyed out, I cannot click on it. But the save file says 20 hours play time when i have played no more than 5 hours.

Also has anyone had an issue with clearing objectives at a camp? I think the place is called Stilltown and I can get the collectables but I cannot do the 'eliminate all enemies', I have been around the camp with a fine-tooth comb and cannot find another soul in that place. I have even gone away and come back and cleared it again but the objective never clears.

They're probably stuck inside a building (that you can't get in), happened to me a couple of times.