• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Are you sure that resolution scaling is turned off? I'm running everything high on a 1060 max q at 1080p and I'm getting 50-60fps, the lowest it dipped was 47fps, but with resolution scaling on it turns into a blurry mess with locked 60fps (probably running at 720p God knows lol)
Initially resolution scaling was on and my eyes experienced the pain. Once disabled, together with TAA, image quality improved a lot.

Also disabled ambient occlusion and gained a lot in performance. Worth it, to be honest, as it does not add that much to the presentation.

The game is great fun but I swear I remember Mad Max looking much better...

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hell of a time getting this to run with an RX 580 and 16GB of RAM. Which should not be an issue.

It seems like when I boot it up it'll "stick" to around 60fps but if I change even one graphic setting then everything drops to like 15fps (or worse) and it's unplayable. Changing settings back to what they were when I started doesn't fix it and I have to close out and restart the entire game then.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My system:

Core i7 8700K
GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung EVO 860 SSD

Right now I'm running the game at 1440P without resolution scaling, High preset with SSAO set to Medium, Chromatic Abberation turned off and Anti-Aliasing set to FXAA only. I started there just to be safe and to try to retain a locked 60fps.

My report?

I really feel like my system should tear through this game with ease, but it doesn't. I definitely get drops into the mid to low 50's at random times and I'm not even running the game at Ultra. It seems pretty fun so far, but it's certainly not much of a looker. I really do feel like they need to optimize this a bit better. Mad Max looked better on PC and ran significantly better too, even on lesser hardware.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like if I make settings changes to what the game SHOULD run at, the whole thing goes haywire and I get a 24fps mess. Then I restart the game and at that point everything I changed before is now working.

Restarted after my last post and now I'm getting 80-90fps so I have no idea wtf is going on.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I really wish they patch this game hard and improve it on the technical side. The gameplay deserves it... It's so much fun.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gtx 1080
20gb ram
sshd
win 10

Getting pretty mediocre performance. Is there a way to fix the god awful aim acceleration or force the game to use Nvidia fast vsync vs the crappy ingame vsync?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Runs like arse on my aging system. i7 2600k and a GTX 970 at 1080p. Most games still run ok for me but even on Low/Off I ain't sticking 60fps with this one. Right now it's just set to high with 80% scaling and I'm just accepting the stuttering and dips. When I ADS with the shotgun, that wave effect tanks the game down to at least 40fps every single time. It's annoying.

Reading some of the other comments with way more powerful systems though, I'm not surprised. Seems like it needs some patching.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting a bug where even on fullscreen the curser can click the taskbar and minimize the game?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about eight hours in, and I just don't know what to do with the settings. I usually find a sweet spot to keep 60fps but this is grating. Older CPU i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, Titan X installed on an SSD.

High preset, DOF off, CA off, Motion Blur off, Resolution Scaling 85%, Auto.

1080p, I'm getting drops to 47ish FPS when anything crazy happens. I'm heartily enjoying this game but it feels like the universe is telling me it's time to upgrade. I'm holding out for Cyberpunk but this has been performing terribly!

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
RTX 2080
20gb RAM
1440p
SSD

Getting about 80-100fps at Ultra settings.

Surprised to see complaints about performance, I guess this game really sings on higher ends GPUs, because this is running beautifully for me. There are actually various older games that don't run nearly as nicely as this game does on my hardware.

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
GTX 1080
Ryzen 5 2600x
16GB RAM
SSD
1440p

Everything on ultra bar shadow resolution which. No drops under 60fps in the first two hours of actual gameplay but drops into the 40's during cutscenes. Looks and feels great however.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
for some reason the game doesn't detect gsync/freesync and therefore just caps to the system visible 60fps instead of 75fps.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Rage 2 PC Hotfix:

Today, we will be deploying a minor PC hotfix very shortly that will address the following issues:
  • Removes Denuvo DRM (We saw a few requests.)
  • Enables Crash Reporter for error reporting
  • Fixes occasional crash related to Scaleform
  • Fixes occasional crash on startup
  • Fixes issue where Bethesda.net users would always default to English
  • Razer Chroma effects enabled by default

https://steamcommunity.com/games/548570/announcements/detail/2565275416672419265

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I just finished the first mission blackout and gotta say im pretty unimpressed. Sure the Gunplay is good but it's not amazing. Im seeing so many other things that it's totally souring my exp with the game. Examples:

-Performance is shit for a vulkan game
-Visuals are shit (Mad Max is so much better - Hell even Rage 1 looked better)
-Shadows are blocky as fuck on any setting. Surprised noone has mentioned/seen this yet.
-There is bad pop-in, esp with shadows and foilage.
-There is something funky with their GI - either its broken or the game is actually designed to change hue's/gradients as you enter separate sections. It can be light blue in an elevator - walk 2 seconds and its pitch black This really annoys me as the change is instant.
-Menu is badly designed and laggy (Not sure how they missed that in testing)

In its current state, it's a bad PC port. I would not pay full price for this and frankly I expected much better from a RAGE game.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

just a few i'm sure ;)

Completely unrelated to a version from the Bethesda net launcher that doesn't have Denuvo making it out into the wild I'm sure.

"Wait, you guys don't like Denuvo? Oh man, maybe we should have checked beforehand." - Todd
D6tW726UEAE7kmv.png

Invis

Oct 27, 2017
Performance for the most part is very solid for me on a mix of High/Ultra settings, averaging around 70fps. Running at 1440p with a GTX1080 and 7700K.

However I'm getting abysmal drops, sometimes down into the low 20s for explosions, or even the melee special move (forget what its called). I've paused my game during one of these explosions and was getting 27fps, and dropped all settings to the lowest and the FPS only went up to 31. So there is certainly something going on with the explosion effects that's causing crazy drops.

Anyone else getting this or just me?

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So, I got around to playing some more Rage 2 after the hotfix. I there's definitely some FPS increase, but not much. Testing on my Ryzen 1700 + GTX 1080 Ti setup, which everything maxed, and motion blur/CA/Res Scale off, I was able to average 40FPS at 4K. That's not bad. Now I have to drag my main PC over to the 4K TV to test since it has my RTX 2080 Ti.

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
Did anyone else experience stuttering while driving through the open world? I had the steam version but refunded it because of the stuttering. If so has it improved since the removal of Denuvo? I cannot stand stuttering.
I have quite a powerful rig and was playing in 3440*1440 at around 90-100 FPS. During gun fights everything was fine but as soon as I got into the vehicle there was stuttering.

This is not my video but the frame time graph says everything. It´s really that bad for me, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjMQowtMOk&feature=youtu.be

My rig:
RTX 2080Ti
i7 5960x@ 4,2 Ghz
32 GB Ram 3000 Mhz CL14
Game was installed on a Samsung SSD Evo 850
Windows 10 1809 with latest updates
Driver version 430.64

Edit: I´m really trying not to hate on this game but what did they think about the image quality for PC gamers playing on monitors and sitting reasonably close to their displays. It´s one of the most blurry games I´ve played in a long time. After disabling DoF, TAA + FXAA and chromatic abberation the blur was mostly gone. However as expected the game is super aliased and also unacceptable. Reshade is no option under Vulkan and Nvidia´s experimental freestyle settings somehow distort the image. As you can probably expect I´m super disappointed with the technical side of things.

Last edited:

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
So anyone at all get dynamic resoljution working (aka set to auto and not manual)? Mine does not work at all.
no, and thought I did not pixel count it, but it feels when I set it to auto, it always run at the lowest resolution according to my scale slider, even at 50%, I am running 2080ti and i7 9700k, should have enough head room there.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to get this game to run at a steady 60fps at anything other than Low with literally every setting turned off. I've tried every possible combination, the auto-setting wants to set it at High based on my system specs, but the fps literally goes down to single digits and it's like playing underwater.

Am I crazy or are these specs not enough to get this game running? This game isn't THAT gorgeous, everything else I've thrown at this thing I can run at 60 and at least on High. Last game I played was the latest Tomb Raider and it looked amazing

RX 580 4GB
I5-7400
16gb RAM

At my wits end here, especially reading every response saying runs so smooth, amazing optimization, etc

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
I have no idea how to get this game to run at a steady 60fps at anything other than Low with literally every setting turned off. I've tried every possible combination, the auto-setting wants to set it at High based on my system specs, but the fps literally goes down to single digits and it's like playing underwater.

Am I crazy or are these specs not enough to get this game running? This game isn't THAT gorgeous, everything else I've thrown at this thing I can run at 60 and at least on High. Last game I played was the latest Tomb Raider and it looked amazing

RX 580 4GB
I5-7400
16gb RAM

At my wits end here, especially reading every response saying runs so smooth, amazing optimization, etc

Try windowed? Bethesda's games don't work in full screen for me

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I updated my NVIDIA driver today and now Afterburner doesn't work. Anybody have that issue? The on-screen display isn't showing and framelimiting isn't working. It was fine before.

430.64 GPU driver, 4.6.2 Beta 1 Afterburner and 7.2.2 RTSS.

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
I updated my NVIDIA driver today and now Afterburner doesn't work. Anybody have that issue? The on-screen display isn't showing and framelimiting isn't working. It was fine before.

430.64 GPU driver, 4.6.2 Beta 1 Afterburner and 7.2.2 RTSS.

Set the application detection level to "High" in RTSS.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about eight hours in, and I just don't know what to do with the settings. I usually find a sweet spot to keep 60fps but this is grating. Older CPU i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, Titan X installed on an SSD.

High preset, DOF off, CA off, Motion Blur off, Resolution Scaling 85%, Auto.

1080p, I'm getting drops to 47ish FPS when anything crazy happens. I'm heartily enjoying this game but it feels like the universe is telling me it's time to upgrade. I'm holding out for Cyberpunk but this has been performing terribly!
That doesn't sound promising for my 3570k and 1080 Ti :(. Does the high preset get rid of the pop in issues I see with the console versions?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on running the game at 1440p on my 1070. The framerate is all over the place. I got to the Mutant Bash TV section and my framerate tanked there for some odd reason. I also walked out of an ark and found some smaller robot enemy and while fighting him in a pretty empty spot my framerate tanked again. This game is a fucking GPU hog and it doesn't even look that good.

I just dropped it down to 1080p and with everything maxed I never dip below 60fps. It's like the game was designed to run at 1080p like the console versions.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
So anyone at all get dynamic resoljution working (aka set to auto and not manual)? Mine does not work at all.

Nope. I have it set to auto and the resolution scaler to 84% (of 1080p - so 900p) and the fps cap to 60 and it still doesn't work, like the image doesn't seem to do any obvious sharpening depending on the load.

i still get occasional fps drops in to the high 50s (57-58fps).

Also there's no option to set the monitor frequency so when I have my fps vsync'd for gsync/freesync it caps to the OS visible 60hz and not 75Hz.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out Avalanche made a PC game that needs me to literally unplug my second monitor in order to play

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm running low 90s at 1080p, ultra settings with my Alienware R4 (i7-7700 + GTX1070 + 16GB RAM).

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to disable the film grain or whatever garbage post processing there is? The game still looks blurry to me towards the edges of the screen. I've disabled chromatic aberration and motion blur already.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on running the game at 1440p on my 1070. The framerate is all over the place. I got to the Mutant Bash TV section and my framerate tanked there for some odd reason. I also walked out of an ark and found some smaller robot enemy and while fighting him in a pretty empty spot my framerate tanked again. This game is a fucking GPU hog and it doesn't even look that good.

I just dropped it down to 1080p and with everything maxed I never dip below 60fps. It's like the game was designed to run at 1080p like the console versions.

this is the game that made me upgrade my gpu. i got a 2080 on the way soon.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyone else get weird stutter/judder when using a mouse? The stuttering goes away completely when using a controller.

Edit: Also, the automatic resolution scaling definitely works, it just doesn't seem to work while you're standing still.

Is there a way to disable the film grain or whatever garbage post processing there is? The game still looks blurry to me towards the edges of the screen. I've disabled chromatic aberration and motion blur already.
Depth of field set to off will get rid of the blur around the edges.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I guess if you are still rocking an i5 and GTX 970 you're better off with the Pro/X1X versions if you want to play in 1080p/60?

Or did the patches somehow improve performance?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Avalanche Studios has released a new patch that officially adds support for AMD's new FidelityFX technology. FidelityFX is a collection of high-quality post-process effects that automatically collapse multiple effects into fewer shader passes to reduce overhead and free up your GPU.

Basically, think of FidelityFX as an advanced sharpening post-process effect that can improve the image/visuals, especially if you're playing a game with an awful TAA implementation.

Now what's really interesting here is that the game lets you enable/disable this option even if you own an NVIDIA graphics card. However, and as you may have guessed, this setting does not appear to work on NVIDIA's hardware.
Top notch programming effort.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get weird stutter/judder when using a mouse? The stuttering goes away completely when using a controller.

Edit: Also, the automatic resolution scaling definitely works, it just doesn't seem to work while you're standing still.

Depth of field set to off will get rid of the blur around the edges.

The usual way I fix this issue (it's happened in a few games) is turning the in game mouse sensitivity all the way to 0, and the mouse software itself up as high as you need to compensate.

Also playing with polling rate sometimes helps.