• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predictions

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • 85-89

Votes: 89 16.8%
  • 81-84

Votes: 216 40.8%
  • Below 81

Votes: 208 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn this year is just not amazing at all. A lot of games falling into that "OK" range and very few things knocking it out of the park.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Any mention of console performance in any of the reviews? (X1X specifically if possible -- none of the few I read mention it). I'd like to pick it on console but if perf. is inconsistent or whatever, then PC it is. Though I'd assume it has to be a rock solid 60fps given the choice they made but I'd like some confirmation first, haha.

Bethesda has very specifically only given out PC code and is keeping the console version VERY close to it's chest.

Jeff says in the GB Quick Look that he has heard some very bad things (sub HD resolutions, poor performance, etc.) but nothing confirmed.

I wouldn't even think about touching this on console until others get their hands on it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I was always a bit skeptical about the open world being fun to explore since Avalanche was at the helm, JC2 is one of my favorite sandbox games but without those core fundamentals of traversal endemic to that series the open world is very cookie cutter and copy+pasted, which is of course understandable given the size but again, I understand why Avalanche isn't winning many hearts with the open world design in Rage 2. It would've been interesting had Bethesda collaborated with them directly to craft an interesting post apocalyptic environment to explore, Bethesda at least knows how to make that aspect engaging. Interesting and unique landmarks are essential for rewarding exploration, it's a shame this seems so dull on that front.

Oh well, I'll still give it a Redbox rental for the Doom gunplay, need something to tide me over until the Quest release next week.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bethesda has very specifically only given out PC code and is keeping the console version VERY close to it's chest.

Jeff says in the GB Quick Look that he has heard some very bad things (sub HD resolutions, poor performance, etc.) but nothing confirmed.
really?? that's interesting

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think the post apocalypse is so over done in games and movies......yet,I can't get enough of it,lol.I'm looking forward to jumping into this tomorrow and I never play games on release day.My next most hyped game coming is Dying Light 2...another post apocalypse game!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I think the post apocalypse is so over done in games and movies......yet,I can't get enough of it,lol.I'm looking forward to jumping into this tomorrow and I never play games on release day.My next most hyped game coming is Dying Light 2...another post apocalypse game!

I agree with you. It's like zombies. I can't get enough of both in gaming and other media. Meanwhile, they've been overdone.

I don't game a lot anymore, and the only two games that have held my interest for a while (and that I've thoroughly beaten) this year have been post-apocalyptic: Days Gone and New Dawn. And Rage 2 is something I've also been really looking forward to. Will probably be the next game I beat too.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brother bought this game blindly lol. I'm playing it for the id combat and hopefully an stable framerate on X.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Wait, no HDR? For the resolution to be so low I was expecting at least HDR because of the color palette of the game. That is so disappointing. I might cancel now.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Looks like one to avoid until it's heavily discounted. I'll play a bit of Mad Max and Doom instead.
what is the purpose of this post, the
I'm fairly confident if you created a poll for the users here over which is the best between the games mentioned and RDR2, RDR2 would win out pretty easily.

Every game has somebody that loves it and they are especially vocal when they love a game that most don't.
Did you even read the post??? That wasn't even the subject of the post.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
RAGE 2
2 hours played / refunded via Steam
V9jR154.jpg

The game gave a poor first impression. As I neared the 2 hour mark (the max playtime allowed for refunds on Steam), the overwhelming urge was to refund and buy later for less.

MAIN REASONS

Observations about gameplay in general. For context, I was playing on Hard.
  • Enemy AI so far reminds me of Anthem - they don't move much, don't have satisfying feedback when shot - although headshot kills are really satisfying.
  • The environments feel very bland: visually and interaction wise.
  • Pacing is clunky: stuck in a room while a hologram NPC slowly unloads dialogue, can't leave room until it ends. Could have been done on the go considering how long you drive/run through empty space in opening hours.
  • Cutscene direction is static, they feel drawn out and laborious to get through.
  • The open world feels bloated in size. I had to drive through a lot of empty space during the second stage of one of the first 3 quests on the map.
  • Visuals and general presentation do not match the vibrant presentation of the launch trailers.

Nitpicks that might be resolved as abilities upgrade, maybe HUD updates later, etc...
  • Ammo and other pickups are hard to see.
  • Ammo feels too scarce at the start, but I could be missing it due to the above (I checked menus and found now way to highlight it further).
  • Hit feedback on enemies in general feels too low.
    • For instance, I was fighting an enemy tower that dropped on the map (an open world encounter type event) and while the reticle went red to show me I was on a target that could be shot, there was no dmg indication as I shot it. No dmg numbers, no visual feedback. Suddenly after x amount of dmg the tower animated to show dmg had been done. Just felt unresponsive, not fun.

UI and HUD.
  • Menu design feels very dated - like they took a mid 2000s style PC menu design and slapped some visual effects on it to make it seem modern.
  • Menus are clunky to move through, not intuitive.
  • Menus are laggy, and visual effects compound this feel.
---

I obviously didn't give the game a fair shake overall, 2 hours is not enough. I didn't upgrade any fun abilities, or try anything beyond the first two starter weapons. I didn't reach the point I could engage with combat in a way that the pre-release footage and gifs in this thread show as being so fun.

But I FELT that 2 hour timer near max, and I nothing had compelled me that £40 was an entry fee worth paying. I think a game not doing that in 2 hours is a fair reason to not buy at launch.

I'm going to wait till it drops to £20 or lower and try it again, I'm sure it gets better when the combat opens up, but I feel no motivation to spend £40 bade on the 2 hours I already spent.

Last edited:

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Seems competent but not something I need to go out of my way to be a part of day 1. This spring and summer are helping me eat in to my backlog.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Going to play this myself. I just don't trust reviewers anymore, particularly for FPS games. When stuff like Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein TNO end up scoring worse than Fallout 4 I know that the reviewers are looking for different things to me.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Going to play this myself. I just don't trust reviewers anymore, particularly for FPS games. When stuff like Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein TNO end up scoring worse than Fallout 4 I know that the reviewers are looking for different things to me.

I also enjoyed Days Gone way more than reviewers did, as seems is the consensus in the OT thread. Super happy that it should be under 20 hours to do most of Rage2 too. Every AA(A) game doesn't need to be a 40+ hour epic.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019

Same here.

It always worries me when I read reviewers say that developers asked for their input on games at E3 and what they'd like to see in the game.

Often times what these people want and like isn't in tune with what most players really want.

I heard Gearbox was asking for advice at the BL3 stream too, and several people I listened to on podcasts in the weeks afterwards admitted to never even playing BL1 or 2. Why should they be giving advice?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Watching the Giant Bomb quicklook now.

Seems like another big AAA game that turned out so-so this year. Will probably pick up in a deep sale, I had some dumb fun with the first one.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
agreed

hoping to have an enjoyable time with Judgment next

I can at least say if you enjoyed other Yakuza games you'll almost certainly enjoy Judgment (I loved it). Aside from Capcom's releases and a couple of indie games (Katana Zero) I only have Sekiro left to play for games I actually want in the first half of the year. Can't say I'm complaining though, means I actually finish more games than I buy for once!

JedWhitaker

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If Bethesda sold this game as a budget title at say $29.99 new, it would have gotten pretty decent reviews. Asking double that is far too much. There are so many moments that make this feel like a not fully baked budget game, of course that's most AAA games at release these days for some reason...

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One example... out of how many?
Plenty. Both good and bad reception games has fallen the opposite because that's just opinion and tastes. One man's meat is another man's poision, and with video games offering so much varied playstyle between even the same genre titles it is always hard to say that reviewers or community is right. No one is wrong though, that's for sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty. Both good and bad reception games has fallen the opposite because that's just opinion and tastes. One man's meat is another man's poision, and with video games offering so much varied playstyle between even the same genre titles it is always hard to say that reviewers or community is right. No one is wrong though, that's for sure.
I don't see it, personally. In my experience, the community is pretty accurate in the majority of call outs.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opencritic at 73.
Yeah, below 80 was almost a given and my pick. Either it was going to be mediocre with some good parts, or absolutely fantastic getting a 90+ metacritic case, latter of which would had bleed into the trailers for sure.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I was convinced I was going to preorder it but I did say I was going to wait until some more reviews dropped today to make my final decision. I am glad I did.
Today some more reviews dropped, along with some additional videos, which includes the Giant Bomb look that I watched in its entirety, and now I am going to hold off until it is on sale.

I still want to play the game and I do believe I will enjoy it. I just am not convinced I am going to feel fulfilled spending the full $60 on it, and that is a damn shame.
Why oh why did they insist on making it an "open world" game. And I do put it in quotes on purpose. This game would have been so, so, So much better served as a linear experience. Take the time spent to make it an open world, eliminate it and the vehicles completely, and just focus on the iD gunplay gameplay in linear experiences.

I have no doubt it will be an enjoyable game to play 50-75% of the time. I just have doubts I would not regret spending $60 for that 50--75% of fun. The open world traversal just looks so lifeless and uninspiring to me.

Shit would be different if money was not tight for me. I can also no doubt say that. I have purchased games in the past I was remotely interested in. Times have changed for me at least right now. So I need to be hyper critical of what I spend my money on. What would have once been an already purchase now turns into a wait a month or two and hope it goes on sale.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019

Pretty much this. 2019 has been between great (8-8.5/10) to excellent (9-9.5/10) for me with Days Gone as being the best of the bunch with a 9.5/10 and my current 2019 game of the year. Rage 2 will be an easy 9/10 for me. Right up my alley. It's all about different tastes and opinions.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It does look fun...But I don't know how long it will last. Just like Crackdown 3. This year is a bummer for me so far. But I still need to try Sekiro at some point.