• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predictions

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • 85-89

Votes: 89 16.8%
  • 81-84

Votes: 216 40.8%
  • Below 81

Votes: 208 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People miss so many great games based on a number and at the same time support crap based on the same flawed system. If you are remotely interested rent the game, create your own opinion, reviews are toxic for both gamers and devs. I do wonder how many here read the actual review instead of scrolling, seeing the number and come straight here to write hate.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Days Gone and this game have cemented that I should ignore the mainstream review sites and watch gameplay vids.

I loved Days Gone in the end, and within the first 3 hours I'm loving Rage 2.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to switch timezones to like aus/nz and DL this game earlier?

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone and this game have cemented that I should ignore the mainstream review sites and watch gameplay vids.

Yeah it certainly seems like reviewers are significant more down on formulaic games these days and are looking for something new and exciting. Frankly I'm alright with that but sometimes a solid game that doesn't think too far out of the box is just what the doctor ordered.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Loved rage 1 , loved mad max and I have a feeling I will love this too. I think as in growing older my tastes seem to be the opposite of mainstream press . Yes there are some genuine 10/10 games I absolutely love (like god of war, red dead), but for the most part I'm enjoying a lot of 7/8 games more then those rated 9/10.

You are missing some truely amazing games if your only buying 8 > games .

Days gone is the perfect example , yes it has issues but so far it's my game of the year .

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what I figured, great mechanics built around Ubisoft open world. Ah well, still have Youngblood to look forward to.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
This is the narrative more and more I share the exact same sentiment regarding Horizon and Days Gone. I can't wait to play Days Gone each day however Horizon is boring.
That is why i say do not take reviews as gospel watch it and see if it resonates with you. Because games are not cheap but everyone has different tastes so one person 9 will be another persons 6 and vice versa

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

More like reviewers are tired of seeing the same games or poor design. Rage 2 screams bargain bin after one month top.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Today I learnt that Mad Max recieved a 69 Metacritic score and I am completely baffled. That game is awesome !

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Darn, guess I'll wait for a big discount. I was already leaning towards that, but I was hoping to be surprised.

been watching it on twitch for a while now and it looks uninspired and slow

Yeah, that kind of surprised me. I'd only seen the heavily edited trailers, and I was telling my cousin about it and wanted to show him some of the high-speed action, and so I looked up a full gameplay demo and... well, it was action, but it wasn't exactly thrilling.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah it certainly seems like reviewers are significant more down on formulaic games these days and are looking for something new and exciting. Frankly I'm alright with that but sometimes a solid game that doesn't think too far out of the box is just what the doctor ordered.

i don't know. i think it's more that they're down on the also-rans. ac: odyssey & rdr2 were each as formulaic as it gets. but (along with their super-high-end production values, of course) they're games in series that were formulaic before it became a formula :) ...

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

Seems fine to me.
Is this a silver-bullet to counter all the arguments against the game? You haven't played the game, therefore you cannot discuss it.

I wonder.. are reviewers are a bunch of Rage 2 haters, or there is something wrong with that game's design...

Reviewed have the right to criticize the game and voice their opinion since they've played it. Users who are jumping on a forum before the game has even released to criticize it cannot.

Yes, you cannot criticize a game without playing it. Seems pretty clear why.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The more I watch this on Twitch, the more it seems like a hard pass until it's on sale. It looks like they wasted great gunplay on a game that suffers from all the worst aspects of tired open world game design. The world looks huge just for sake of being huge and giving you enough space to justify vehicles, all while not giving you much interesting to do in the world and instead only repeating the same open world tropes.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Seems fine to me.

Reviewed have the right to criticize the game and voice their opinion since they've played it. Users who are jumping on a forum before the game has even released to criticize it cannot.

Until you've played Big Rigs, you cannot criticize it. Until then, its just another game?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People, good games review well. Good open world games review well, makin an open world does not make it automatically better or worse , it always comes down to execution. Ubisoft open world review well ,sell well and are good games. Just because something like Rage 2 and Days Gone did not set the world on fire , does not mean those games are pieces of shit , nor it means those games were unfair judged by reviewers. Mediocre to OK games happen all the the, be it multi platform or exclusive and thats ok.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Similar to movies, I pay little attention to what critics like. I like to judge for myself.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I can see this being a new Mad Max, where its poor aspects are almost entirely unimportant as the core gameplay is way too enjoyable to actually care about those flaws.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I watch this on Twitch, the more it seems like a hard pass until it's on sale. It looks like they wasted great gunplay on a game that suffers from all the worst aspects of tired open world game design. The world looks huge just for sake of being huge and giving you enough space to justify vehicles, all while not giving you much interesting to do in the world and instead only repeating the same open world tropes.

Yeah, the previous gameplay vids I watched did a good job editing out the boring bits. The ratio of driving to action is much higher than I wanted. The camps are too spread out, and when the action starts it's usually over too quickly. And the driving looks exceedingly dull. Surprised that Avalanche didn't place greater focus on what worked.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I can see this being a new Mad Max, where its poor aspects are almost entirely unimportant as the core gameplay is way too enjoyable to actually care about those flaws.

frankly, Mad Max was way better than Rage 2, Rage 2 doesn´t come together, progression is jumbled, main story is a joke, activities highly repetitive, action only happens in set places which negates the whole open world. the shooting condenses itself in 3-5minute outposts, after that you drive around again. the game is just boring as a result. the cardboard cutout NPCs who speak sloooooowly are also not helping

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Today I learnt that Mad Max recieved a 69 Metacritic score and I am completely baffled. That game is awesome !

wasn't until years later people were like "yeah, that was kind of cool", casebook example of a sleeper i suppose

picked it up a year or three ago for like $5 and was pretty surprised what i stumbled into. wasn't amazing or anything but nowhere near as mediocre as i was lead to believe. i guess a Mad Max game was kind of redundant in the 2010s flood of open world/post apocalyptic games

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Game looks like a really boring open world emptiness simulator, seriously the actual good open world games can be counted on one hand, i hope this crappy game design dies soon we definitely need more FPS like DOOM and less like this.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

I don't know how far you are in, but Mad Max gets really boring and extremely repepetitive after a few hours. And the melee/freeflow combat also isn't really good. So yeah, I totally get the 69. I would rate it even lower personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems fine to me.

Ever considered using other people's opinions to justify your own? What about spectating someone play to see whether you like visuals, characters, story, quest design. Evaluating the technical state of the game: buggy, frame-rate problems, network problems, state of AI etc. Looking at the features of the game: does it have co-op, does it have online, does it support controller on PC, is it full of QTE etc.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
i don't know. i think it's more that they're down on the also-rans. ac: odyssey & rdr2 were each as formulaic as it gets. but (along with their super-high-end production values, of course) they're games in series that were formulaic before it became a formula :) ...

Assassin's Creed is about as far away from formulaic as it gets these days. Its a sistemic game with a mind blowing scope that radically changed its own series formula just a game ago. Its like games that do what AC does are all over the fence. They're absolutely not. Ubisoft is actually being rated below what it deserves the past couple of years

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Man, watching footage of this, it's nothing like I imagined. All the trailers made it look like a fast-paced and colorful, with wacky weapons and incredible action.

But watching the actual gameplay... this just looks like a video game. Like there was a spontaneous explosion of atoms and then Rage 2 appeared.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Man, watching footage of this, it's nothing like I imagined. All the trailers made it look like a fast-paced and colorful, with wacky weapons and incredible action.

But watching the actual gameplay... this just looks like a video game. Like there was a spontaneous explosion of atoms and then Rage 2 appeared.

Yes, agreed. The reality of this game is that they made a sequel to Rage... and just threw some pink in it... for reasons. It seems weird that they would seemingly make a game that is so true to Rage considering that game was neither a critical darling nor was it a sales juggernaut.

Decided to check out Metacritic's user reviews as I saw that Rage 2 is currently hovering in the 4.0 range. Hilariously the first review was about how the game has Denuvo on PC (which I'm not a fan of but review bombing isn't going to make it go away) and requires you to install a free launcher (God forbid!) though many of the other negative reviews were surprisingly reasonable. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the shooting is good. The thing I saw pretty consistently among the negative reviews was that the world is empty and the game overall is boring which seems pretty consistent with what critics are saying.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not only have we long be conditioned to see things under 80 as bad, breaking it up in weighted quartiles/quintiles/whatever you want is helpful for parsing larger amounts of info, while still allowing for as much granular nuance as anyone could want. If someone can find that half the things in a game are bad, and someone else can find that none of the things in a game are bad, yeah, a 7.5 sounds about right to me. Numbers are a way to save time when assessing quality, and frankly, the modern scoring structure that games use (connection to things like bonuses aside) works pretty great.

If someone wants to go around saying that being in the mathematical middle (a coldly clinical approach which I mostly see from people who otherwise decry quantifying quality) - a 5 - is what the mark of a middling game, go nuts I guess, but don't expect others to use that same system, because it doesn't make sense. Having "half of everything was good and half of everything was bad" equal "squarely in the middle" isn't how society works, it isn't how quality works, it doesn't allow for any more range of nuance that the "7.5=middling" system lacks, and it doesn't consider the true full scope of just how bad things can truly get.

Well I believe anything that gets you away from actual opinions, views and discussion points is overall a negative

Dismissing a game for getting an aggregate of 71/100 is something a lot of people might do, however had they actually read the reviews, they might have realised it was actually a game they would really enjoy

There is nothing wrong with using scores as a jumping off point, but a lot of people don't do that, they just say (preemptively, before reviews are even out) "I'll skip if it's a 75 or under"

If review scores were banned, and we were only allowed to review games with prose, then I would imagine fewer people would end up playing games they don't enjoy

Look at RDR2, it's got amazing scores, and a lot of people agree it's an amazing game, but there are also loads of people just on Era who didn't like it or hated it. Some of that is being swept away with hype but some of that is blindly buying games that score 90 plus assuming it's objectively great, then being stung when they realise there is almost nothing in the game they enjoy. Maybe had they read the actual reviews and not just snippets in a review thread they'd have been able to tell the game wasn't for them

It happens the other way too, I ignored Resi 6 for ages because of the reviews, but in reality, I can acknowledge the flaws and focus on the parts of the game I think are great (controls, moveset, combat) so to me that was always going to be a game I would enjoy, though I completely understand the people that didn't like it, and that kind of nuance is completely lost when you have to give a game a score out of 100, and then lost another order of magnitude when that score is thrown in with dozens of other scores to find an overall aggregate

I can tell Rage 2 will be a game I'll enjoy because I've read the reviews and I know I'll be able to put up with the parts of the game people think are less than stellar. I didn't need any scores or an aggregate to get that information

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No one is conditioned to think under 70 is bad by the scores alone.

What happens is people play the 7/10 games, and some more often find them lacking to the point they have a dull time, while others more often find something that amounts to more than the sum of its parts.

And after a while, the former realize many or even most 7/10 games have issues they can't look past, while the latter know they will be able to enjoy the majority of them.

These games aren't "underrated", they usually do have flaws that deserve a lower score. Rage 2 has a lot of issues, but some people can look past them.

Of course reviewers who look for flaws are going to find them and list them, and reviewers tend to play more games than your average gamer. So flaws become more apparent.

There are many factors at play here. It's reviews stating flaws, rating games based on flaws and positives, but some games amount to more than that sum.

Sometimes that is hard to see when you can't see past the flaws, and some people can't do that, and I think being in a profession where you actively look for flaws and positives will make it harder for reviewers to recognize "more than the sum" titles.

There's no real issue here, imo. Rage 2 looks fun, I think I'll enjoy it, but the 2 hours I spent and the reviews prove it ver likely won't be worth full price.

7/10 is fair: open world IS a step back in many ways, NPCs DO reel off slow dialogue while you stand in locked rooms, you DO drive through masses of empty space between tiny bouts of combat, etc...

If these things don't bother you, great, but they are poor aspects of design. Being able to look past them doesn't make them good aspects.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one is conditioned to think under 70 is bad by the scores alone.

What happens it people playe the 7/10 games, and some find them lacking to the point they have a dull time, while others find something that amounts to more than the sum of its parts.

And after a while, the former realize many or even most 7/10 games have issues they can't look past, while the latter know they will be able to enjoy the majority of them.

These games aren't "underrated", they usually do have flaws that deserve a lower score. Rage 2 has a lot of issues, but some people can look passed them.

Damn right.

The original Nier wasn't underrated, it was a masterpiece.