• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predictions

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • 85-89

Votes: 89 16.8%
  • 81-84

Votes: 216 40.8%
  • Below 81

Votes: 208 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems decent. If the shooting is good that's fine for me.
This is where I am, but I'm not paying £40 knowing that things like the laggy UI, bloated open world, and poor delivery of dialogue/story will bother me in between all the shootbang.

£20 or less (maybe £25, we'll see) and I'm in.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is rage 2 and days gone considered divisive games? In my mind those games are ok, theyre fine , serviceable . First nier i would say is divisive , deadly premonition is divisive maybe GTA 4 is divisive? IDK

On era? I would say so, based on comments in this thread

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I got the steelbook and the game for free since my cousin just wanted the talking head from the Collector's Edition.

So.....guess I'm playing it lol. Unfortunate that the score is lower but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it! Especially since it's free.

satsuma

Nov 3, 2017
This is where I am, but I'm not paying £40 knowing that things like the laggy UI, bloated open world, and poor delivery of dialogue/story will bother me in between all the shootbang.

£20 or less (maybe £25, we'll see) and I'm in.
Good point. Price will drop soonish I would imagine.

Fox Blood

Oct 30, 2017
Just a heads up to UK Era folks, it's £35 on currys website with code 'RAGE10' (today only) if anyone's tempted at that price. I'm really on the fence :(

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible gunplay, decent driving. Bland world and characters... sounds like Rage! One of my first and favorite PS3 platinums. Can't wait to pick it up later today.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trailers looked very cool.

Disappointing to see the reviews aren't as good as I had hoped. I did not expect a masterpiece but would have been happy with an 8/10.

And predictably, another game which suffers for being open world in nature!

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence about this game and the reviews and Twitch streams haven't done anything to change my mind. I think at this point I'll just play some stuff on Game Pass and hope this goes on sale in a couple months for 30 or 40 bucks.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Trailers looked very cool.
The trailers were definitely trying to make up for something that wasn't there in the actual game. It's like they looked at RAGE 2 and said to themselves "I have no idea how we're supposed to market this", so they pulled an Andrew WK song out of their ass and turned what little sense of humor the game does have up to 11, but only for the trailer.

On the other hand, someone that thought the trailers were stupid as hell might like the flatter tone the game really does have.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I traded MGSV in for Mad Max and had more fun with it, even though Era/Old Place wasnt so hot on it. Im feeling like RAGE 2 is mirroring Mad Max here from the comments.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I traded MGSV in for Mad Max and had more fun with it, even though Era/Old Place wasnt so hot on it. Im feeling like RAGE 2 mirroring Mad Max here from the comments.
If you liked Mad Max, the only way I can see you not liking RAGE 2 is if you just don't like first-person shooters and liked Mad Max more for its brawler-style combat. Otherwise, it's pretty much a mini-sequel to that game transplanted into another genre.

As a shooter, I think RAGE 2 is significantly more polished and has much more depth than Mad Max did as a beat-em-up or whatever you want to call it.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen I'd be shocked it reviewed over 80 MC. I looooved Mad Max so I thought this was an easy get for me. The lackluster combat and long stretches of empty roads turns me off.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Found a Bethesda key for £25 on ebay (last one, soz), so fuck it. I'm going to give it a chance despite my poor first impressions. I need a new FPS right now.

From what I've seen I'd be shocked it reviewed over 80 MC. I looooved Mad Max so I thought this was an easy get for me. The lackluster combat and long stretches of empty roads turns me off.
The combat is supposed to be very good. That's the game's saving grace, it seems.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
If you liked Mad Max, the only way I can see you not liking RAGE 2 is if you just don't like first-person shooters and liked Mad Max more for its brawler-style combat. Otherwise, it's pretty much a mini-sequel to that game transplanted into another genre.

As a shooter, I think RAGE 2 is significantly more polished and has much more depth than Mad Max did as a beat-em-up or whatever you want to call it.

I did like the Batman-like combat, but I can enjoy FPS's too. May only gripe with Mad Max was the lack of variety to the strongholds or whatever they were called

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I did like the Batman-like combat, but I can enjoy FPS's too. May only gripe with Mad Max was the lack of variety to the strongholds or whatever they were called
The strongholds are pretty much the same thing here over again, just a bit larger to accommodate your more capable movement abilities and faster speed.

But it's the same rhythm of running in, killing all the enemies, and then searching around the corpses to check off the different types of loot lying around. Then you get a checkmark on the map icon so you can ignore it. Same as Mad Max.

Oct 27, 2017
Questions!

1) How interesting is the world? And by that I don't mean 'how full of stuff to do is it' I mean how does it feel, is it interesting to look at, does it feel like a place? For reference, I loved Mad Max, I loved that whole dried up sea bed aesthetic. There were long stretches of nothing interspersed with the odd rusting boat hull, but it was still a wonderful place to inhabit I thought. I also love Days Gone, that's such a fantastic world to simply exist in, despite the fact that there perhaps isn't much to do within it. How does it feel traversing in Rage 2 basically, is there value in the journey not just the destination?

2) Similar to the above perhaps, when you get somewhere to fight how hand crafted does the area feel? I thought Mad Max had some really lovely unique strongholds and little side bases to raid, each one felt like it's own place despite you doing all the same stuff in each one. Same with Days Gone, the locations are a joy to explore. How does Rage 2 handle this? The videos I've watched make the outposts look a little generic (ugh, sorry but I can't think of another word) I suppose, just random piles of concrete and steel. Do any of them take place in interesting locales from the old world for example?

Thanks in advance.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

mad max was one of the best free flow combat in the market, without bullshit teleport and where positioning was actually important to chain combos, also the melee was heavy and grounded as fuck, for me was more fun than arkham or sleeping dogs game in the combat department.

shame for the lack of more various animation for melee and finishers.

combat in general was very good in mad max.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Played a few hours this morning and it's a typical generic open world game which good shooting mechanics. It not a bad game per day.

I am glad I am a gamer who players a reasonable number of games on rotation, as It would drive me insane playing these types of games one at a time. It just AAA gaming by the numbers which the vast majority of single player games have become. But as don't really do GAAS or Multiplayer games there is little alternative to get my AAA fix.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
72 out of 32 reviews is just embarrassing.
How is this embarrassing? a 72 is a solid score. People tend to think of ratings as their school grade system - anything below a 70 is a failure. This just is not the case. There are games that are pretty fucking good that are sitting between 60-80 on these sites. I just don't understand how a score that is nearly 3/4 is bad...

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Hahaha.

Looks like it's getting the lukewarm shrug it deserves.

Notice a lot of reviews mentioning how dull and unnecessary the open world is.

Ahh man, it's a real burden being right all the time.

Can't help but read this in comic book guys voice

Played for a few more hours and I'm digging it, though it's particularly up my street as I'm a sucker for frenetic gunplay and skill trees

I did Far Cry New Dawn recently and the contrast is interesting. They're two sides of the same coin with one rewarding stealth and the other rewarding mayhem. That game has the better story and dialogue for sure, and is overall better, an 8 tho this games 7 (though I'm in the '7 is a good score' camp - but this one is so far more immediately satisfying

So far I don't dislike the world. It's got that BOTW like 'what's that in the distance?' quality. But I've barely scratched the surface.

I'm looking forward to being super powered up and absolutely mullering some goons

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
How is this embarrassing? a 72 is a solid score. People tend to think of ratings as their school grade system - anything below a 70 is a failure. This just is not the case. There are games that are pretty fucking good that are sitting between 60-80 on these sites. I just don't understand how a score that is nearly 3/4 is bad...

Well technically this is true, think of games that get scored 55 or 60 out of 100, or another game that gets 2/4 stars. They're across the board deeply flawed games. The blame is on reviewers though. If reviewers would use the ENTIRE scale where a mediocre game is a 50/100, then something like a 70/100 isn't such a travesty. We're simply conditioned through experience to believe that only 80% or above on a 100 point scale is even work considering.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate the 'have you played it' comment. No i dont have to actually play every shitty or mediocre game out there to know im not going to like it.
giphy.gif

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
6/10 from Metro.

Rage 2 In Short: As a first person shooter, Rage 2 has some of the best action of the year but as an open world adventure it squanders everything on a listless story campaign and banal mission design.

Pros: Excellent gunplay and a huge range of interesting and impactful abilities, weapons, and upgrades.

Cons: Terrible use of the open world environment, with banal, repetitive missions and an overly short campaign. So-so vehicle combat and a weak script that never lands its jokes. Score: 6/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/15/rage-2-review-not-angry-just-disappointed-9541522/?ito=cbshare