• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Dishonored 2 had no marketing. Prey had no marketing. Wolfenstein 2 had no marketing. Rage 2 had no marketing.

But sure, let's mock a journalist..

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
What is the bait in that title? If anything includes the most pertinent information for most people.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the stuff they've done like having the Danny Dyer voiceover cheat, the Dreamcast and the Walmart controller and it's endeared me towards the game in some way. But if you asked me to tell you when it was releasing before that article, I'd have had no fuckin' idea. So the article's fair in my opinion.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Listen RAGE 2 social media person. I am day 1, but only because I fucking marked that as "RAGE 2 release day"

otherwise, I would literally forget.

Step your marketing game up Bethesda,it isn't cause you make single-player games other than TES/Fallout they sell like shit - YOU DO NOT ADVERTISE THEM

Oct 27, 2017
I find it really difficult to believe that on a forum like this, this many people didn't know the release date for a game made by both ID and Avalanche.

Where was the early access? Where were the previews, dev streams, any sort of presentation after E3 and before the trailer yesterday? In order to get hyped, people on Twitch today are stuck streaming the first game, which is nothing like the second and we know how it ends.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Didn't Rage 2 get some new trailers last week? Hell the only reason I even knew the game was out this month was because I paid a quick visit to its Wikipedia page.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's low effort. I actually thought the game was gonna be out, like, close to the end of the year or something.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The first two sentences of the article are "I play video games and write about them for a living, so that means for roughly 14 hours a day, on my computer or my phone, I am scouring for stories. And this is why I find it genuinely surprising that until yesterday, I had no idea that Bethesda's Rage 2 comes out just four days from now."

There's no clickbait or ambiguity here.

The idea that someone who does this 14 hours a day had no idea about the release date is laughable. You would have to be very poor at your job to miss it.

For a casual gamer? Plausible.

For a heavy gamer? Unlikely. There are the dashboard ads on console, digital store ads, YT content, Twitter feeds, etc.

For a professional? Impossible. Bethesda's PR team has sent out comms to streamers, influencers, and media.

The first two sentences of the story contradict each other.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. that reporter is great. he is no jason schrier but hes no boogie either.

such a classless response from the twitter rep.

May 9, 2018
The idea that someone who does this 14 hours a day had no idea about the release date is laughable. You would have to be very poor at your job to miss it.

For a heavy gamer? Unlikely. There are the dashboard ads on console, digital store ads, YT content, Twitter feeds, etc.

For a professional? Impossible. Bethesda's PR team has sent out comms to streamers, influencers, and media.

None of that addresses the nature/"clickbaityness" of the headline. (per the other comments in this very thread, the headline is a fair opinion)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Jason Schreier chimes in

Bethesda's continued disdain for the press is pretty gross. From blacklisting outlets it doesn't like (they haven't responded to a single Kotaku email for 4.5 years and counting) to tweets trying to drag journalists, it's Trump-esque (fitting, since a Trump is on Zenimax's board)

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The marketing has been fine for this, plenty of trailers, adverts etc (I'm surprised so many here don't know the game is coming because it feels like a new trailer is released every week) but that's a shit comeback from the Rage twitter account.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely had no idea that Rage 2 was coming out in 4 days, I thought it was coming out in like a month or two

What a asshole response from their Twitter

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely not click bait, and that community manager for Rage seems like a hostile prick.

Oct 27, 2017

Obviously they sent nothing to him, if they don't even know who he is.

And I agree that 14 hours a day scouring for stories, instead of going to Amazon or Best Buy for 30 seconds to look up upcoming releases, is poor performance. But it's not like he didn't tell people who he was or how he goes about his job.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I find it really difficult to believe that on a forum like this, this many people didn't know the release date for a game made by both ID and Avalanche.

I don't really follow either brands and only just found out game is coming out in 4 days in this very thread. I only saw the initial trailer and glanced at some threads.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a useful reminder to me that
A) Rage 2 comes out next week and
B) Bethesda are awful so I probably won't buy it at least not anytime soon

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda's marketing sucks. Why can't they realize it? I follow so many gaming outlets, youtube/twitch channels, forums,..etc. and I forgot that Rage 2 comes out in few days!

If this was a Ubisoft game, even my grandma would know about it.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought this was months away. That headline was helpful. I have to keep reminding myself John Wick is next week.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I play video games and write about them for a living, so that means for roughly 14 hours a day, on my computer or my phone, I am scouring for stories.

To be honest, I have taken an interest in Rage 2, enjoying the footage and I think it looks like a fun game. But what he's saying here isn't that crazy: I probably follow all the same gaming media types the writer does and I'm on Twitter more than I'd like to admit and no one's really talked about anything regarding this game. Granted, I don't really follow streaming culture that deep, either, and it sounds like they're STILL salty at Kotaku, but all I've ever seen were like what Bethesda put out which wasn't much.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not clickbait, and pretty shitty.
I'm sure it sounded better in his/her head though. Probably thought it was a personal account.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I wouldn't say the article is clickbait so much as a thin excuse for the author to shit on Bethesda. Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but in an article that was actually written thoughtfully & with actual original journalism instead of a mish-mash of recent slip-ups.

Also, idk about any of the rest of you, but I've been getting Rage 2 ads every day on youtube for weeks (yes I don't use adblock on youtube to support creators), so maybe he was just looking in the wrong places? Maybe he could have reached out to Bethesda for comment?

Not trying to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt, but this is a legitimately poorly written article.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
In fairness, the blacklist was due to Prey (2017) leaks
Yeah, I get that. Jason's tweet is a bit disingenuous as it goes beyond just 'disliking' Kotaku. I'm pretty sure anyone wouldn't want the project they've spent time on leaking out of the blue like that, so Bethesda's move here is entirely fair. I do feel bad for the rest of the journalists over at Kotaku, though, but the blacklist makes perfect sense.

To my knowledge, I think the only outlets they've blacklisted is Kotaku? Would appreciate if anyone could elaborate on this.