• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the shitshow 76 was and how many issues it exposed within the client (a client that cant even handle game purchasing, mind you) this is pretty puzzling. Bethesda has the absolute worst client in the business

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll give Bethesda my credit card details, what could go wrong?

Fanta

May 27, 2018
After the performance of Fallout 76 and how much of a disaster the Bethesda Launcher is, I don't see how RAGE will fair any better, especially being single player.

Rip I guess

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Is it safe to purchase it from Bethesda store or should I be afraid of someone swatting me?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
After FO76 fiasco, I would think Bethesda had learned their lesson. Guess not.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 'no Steam no buy' movement is one of the cringiest in gaming.

Yup. Steam fanatics should get used to this as the technology to make a digital storefront is near turnkey at this point so basically every publisher is going to end up with their own.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Poor Fallout 76 sales have not discouraged them. They are doubling down and I believe Steam is out. Maybe this one won't hurt, but DOOM? ESVI? If they stick to it, much like EA they have the IP to drive their own store IMO.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more of these stores acted as actual stores and not "launchers". I love the idea of shopping at different digital stores, but I don't want to have to run them when I launch a game.

Maybe Microsoft can get everyone on board that new Windows Installer package format that they are starting to use for enterprise stuff. MSIX. Can update apps without any store or whatever, can be from the web.

I certainly like the way the MS Store works, download something and never have to open it again. Let the OS manage the app. Having a nice library view is nice though, but that shouldn't be tied to a storefront.

But I guess companies want you to engage in their ecosystem as much as possible. Meh.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Steam fanatics should get used to this as the technology to make a digital storefront is near turnkey at this point so basically every publisher is going to end up with their own.
I think it's cool for publishers to have their own.

But they are all worse that Steam.

I'd prefer they all take the Ubisoft route of having and heavily pushing their own, but still make their games available on Steam.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This might prevent me from buying the game, at least on PC.

Valve screwed up. People can defend Steam all they want, but the proof is in the pudding. Their new initiative is just too late.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
And there goes my purchase, will maybe grab it on PS4 when it hits lower price.

edit: Bethesda. Sell me a Steam key so you don't get hit w/ the 30%.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sucks. As a user, the proliferation of this shit is awful. If it worked like Ubisoft games on Steam where it launches the game through their proprietary launcher I'd consider it, but like this? Fuck that. They may get me with Doom down the line, but they won't wrestle me onto their platform with this.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly like the way the MS Store works, download something and never have to open it again. Let the OS manage the app. Having a nice library view is nice though, but that shouldn't be tied to a storefront.

But I guess companies want you to engage in their ecosystem as much as possible. Meh.
What? UWP? That's even worse than Epic moneyhatting developers or Bethesda and their buggy software.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People continue to think "no steam no buy" means the game has to only be on steam. That'll never get old lol.

"Whats the big deal it's just another set of credentials" - console gamer

Yeah seriously lol.

They'll change their tune when the streaming future hits though and you need 23 stream clients to play everything. And PC gamers will laugh and go "it's not so fun is it?"

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main reason for me and a lot of people to hate games outside of steam:
- Stores not using currencies of the country I am buying it from (I dont pay for games in dollar here in Brazil, but my own currency. This means I pay less than the normal game price most of the time and don´t pay extra taxes).
- Refunding is super easy on Steam.
- Friend List/Games already on Steam.

So, yeah, a game not available also on Steam is a fucking pain in the ass.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Between this and the Epic news, I think that we're starting to see the beginning of the end of Steam's absolute dominance on PC. Of course Steam will always be a central platform in PC gaming, but it's just not the one stop shop it used to be and I think developers will continue to move in other directions away from it.

This. AAA games especially will appear on the platform in fewer and fewer numbers.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda launcher? lol

I don't really care for Rage 2 at all, but I'll be ticked off if/when TES6 is launched exclusively on their shitty launcher.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me of BO4 on bnet and how it meant cratering sales and Activision hating money

We saw how that turned out. People will get the games they want where they are. Rage is probably not going to be the one game to bring them over but Doom Eternal and TES6 are going to ensure the store's success

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I can't take anyone saying "its good to have competition" seriously when we have so many launchers already, lol.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think it's cool for publishers to have their own.

But they are all worse that Steam.

I'd prefer they all take the Ubisoft route of having and heavily pushing their own, but still make their games available on Steam.

This is why that no Steam no buy "movement" exists, lol. There was a thread on this as well, but the other storefronts need to step their game up as far as useability and functionality go before people will switch over. They can't just rely on their exclusives to pull people in like consoles, this is an open market not a closed.

You gotta offer them features, make it appealing to users and devs, it seems these others always fuck up one or the other.

I'll gladly switch if one is better, hands down, until then, I despise clutter. I'll buy their big games off their store if I'm interested but it won't make me use their service as my main PC platform.

I can't take anyone saying "its good to have competition" seriously when we have so many launchers already, lol.

It's basically a meme in gaming communities at this point. Half the time the competition they site isn't beneficial or they are not even understanding how it works. They say it just to say it I guess.

Competition would be great, if the Bethesda launcher was a full featured platform like Steam and offered more featurss, not far less. Hell they don't even have a functioning friends list.

That would, you know, force the current market leader into improving their features and such, as opposed to simply forcing people to download software they don't want to play your game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.