• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I know there's some valid criticism of Steam but I really don't like how fractured the PC marketplace is getting.. It was ok when it was just Steam, GOG and Origin - but now we're getting the Epic store, Bethesda, W10 store etc..

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Very saddened by the No Steam no buy crowd.

Competition is good for everyone. Monopoly is not.

Getting this one on day 1. :)

Yeah but I'd assume you know how poorly setup that launcher is right? It would be different, but you can't refund properly on their end, you can't install and uninstall some games (76) without it breaking everything. It's not secure as I'm pretty sure there's no 2FA, you can't add your own games.

Origin has some of these things mainly being much more stable, it has 2FA, and you can add your own games. The UI doesn't suck, like there's a lot more pros to Origin then Bethesda's Launcher.

Bethesda tarnished the ever loving hell out of their brand being like this so it really only is their fault to blame for the backlash.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Let's look at what competition your company's Origin has brought the PC space in the last 7-8 years.

- Origin was first to have a meaningful refund system that Valve copied/improved on eventually.

and that's it. In 8 years. Stunning display of competition.
Even that one thing is a net positive though? Just because the alternatives suck doesn't mean they can't be done better.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
because most are cheap-ass and just want the game itself, not the extra stuff. that's not how you make people jump from one
platform to another. maybe in consoles that could work and even then, it usually isn't the case. even when so many extras come with an xbox version, most people will buy it from the market leader just 'cause there are just twice as many systems out there.

so yeah, it makes the most sense that they offer a game instead of just extras, because if they're just going to offer extras, there are way less incentives to jump ship.
I'm not sure I follow.

But to clarify. I wasn't talking about stuff as in in-game content or some stupid digital artbook. I was talking about store features, better prices, some kind of reward program for buying from their store, etc.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Jesus... what would happen if all these storefronts actually did have their own fullscreen "Big Picture" launchers... we'd need a separate launcher to launch the launchers...

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I want TES VI on Steam so I'm going to have to skip this. Same with any other Bethesda games exclusive on their launcher.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's look at what competition your company's Origin has brought the PC space in the last 7-8 years.

- Origin was first to have a meaningful refund system that Valve copied/improved on eventually.

Origin Access and Premier?
uPlay's ability to turn reward points/achievements into 20% discounts on their store?
GOG allowing you to get a DRM copy of a game if you own the game on another platform (Steam)?
Battle.net with built-in party system (before Steam updated friends) and Facebook streaming?

Just because these other launchers don't have 1:1 feature parity with Steam doesn't mean that they don't offer some interesting features or perks. I don't lose a step when I have to use Origin to play Battlefield or Battle.net to play Destiny.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

I love how Origin still runs like complete dumpster. In fact it seems to get worse over time.

Why don't people want "competition" again?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even that one thing is a net positive though? Just because the alternatives suck doesn't mean they can't be done better.

Sure if the end goal is just to make Steam better then it served some use. But considering how we still can't play EA games on Steam 7+ years later was all of those games worth 1 improved feature? If you're someone who uses Origin wouldn't you be pissed at how little has been added to the client after all this time?

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I was on the fence about this one so this pushes me to skip. If it reviews great I'll grab it when it's 50% off a month later

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I got my gaming PC in early 2012. Steam looks and functions the exact same way now as it did back then.
No reason to change much. it's a solid product with a ton of amazing functionality. Feels like product built by people who are not afraid for their job security so they don't try to redesign shit every 6 months just for the sake of it.

Everything is tidy and organized, not a fucking chaos of pretty banners of different sizes barely put together.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
There's definetly stuff I would like Steam to change but this isn't going to make any change happen. It's just making things worse for Bethesda to make more money.

I don't play AAA games on PC but this isn't good for consumers at all

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I got my gaming PC in early 2012. Steam looks and functions the exact same way now as it did back then.

Thats factually incorrect.

Since 2012 we got:

-Refund system
-Streaming system
-Steam Controller-
-Customizable controller
-New Chat
-Big Picture Mode
-Steam Trading Cards
-Steam Music
-Steam Workshop
-Publisher/Dev Pages
-18+ Content allowed
-Linux/Proton
-Far more regional prices
-VR Plattform
-VR Hardware
-New Shop design

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's good for everyone when you cant refund broken games or when your ticket supports leaks your info.

Thank god for competition, it's so saddening some people wants to have basic functionnalities in their launcher.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

I don't even think that was Origin's doing. In 2014 Valve got sued in Australia for the lack of a refund policy and then introduced such a policy a year later (before they were finally found guilty in 2016).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
All this effort to pull games of steam are developers desperate for valve to make half life 3. Well not really, but you've got to try to look for positives!

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Since 2012 we got:

-Refund system
-Streaming system
-Steam Controller-
-Customizable controller
-New Chat
-Big Picture Mode
-Steam Trading Cards
-Steam Music
-Steam Workshop
-Publisher/Dev Pages
-18+ Content allowed
-Linux/Proton
-VR Plattform
-VR Hardware
-New Shop design

Yep. How's UPlay's in-home streaming feature coming along? Where's Battle.net's Big Picture Mode? It's a joke. We should be critical of Valve for letting their UI languish while they work on other projects (among other things), but none of these other launchers are improving the PC gaming experience at all.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Origin still runs like complete dumpster. In fact it seems to get worse over time.

Why don't people want "competition" again?

Yeah, this. Origin was at some point working better than Steam, but current version is just shit and sometimes takes tens of seconds to just open game page.
And have made adding shortcut to steam hard, which prevents use of Steam Controller.

Yay for Origin Monopoly.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
You would have a point of Beth launcher weren't presently an undeniably worse launcher than Steam. Even when it isn't broken, the difference in featureset is incomparable. Numerous other publishers have created their own launchers and none of them have yet come up with a single compelling reason that showcases how their launcher actually benefits their game in a way that Steam cannot. Not a single fucking one. The idea that Bethesda launcher will, or even conceivably can come up with that justification is sort of laughable. The idea that you think this is in any way about building a better player experience sort of blows my mind. This is about money. And while I understand the sense behind their business choices, I don't like them, and I don't see any reason I should.

How can Steam be the superior platform for Bethesda games? How can it not? We don't even have to argue about the hypothetical. Bethesda launcher exists. It is an inferior experience. It speaks for itself.

I suppose the reason I care is that I see this situation, the proliferation of launchers, the necessity as someone with broad tastes of suffering every single one of them, as an absolute and inherent negative. Steam has competition. It's had competition for years. For all of that, Steam remains the standout head and shoulders champ. But I can't use Steam for half of the games I want to play, and that number is only going to get worse. So in light of that, in light of you and me being strong armed into every single crummy platform on PC under the undeniable justification of increased profits. And to make matters worse, there's little reason to even be optimistic about where it'll take us. These platforms will drag you to them through exclusivity. They will keep you there through exclusivity. So where's the incentive to improve? If you have to install a different platform for every single publisher's games, featureset becomes pointless to compete on, and player/customer experience becomes a pointless investment.

This sucks. But you seemed optimistic. And I wanted to know why.
I never said the launcher IS I said CAN BE and SHOULD BE, because at the end of the day Bethesda should know what is better for their own games, not Valve.

I currently hate the launcher, it sucks in a lot of things, but it is not like I am screaming for them to put it on Steam or bust. I'd truly rather see them improve on that.

Ignoring some controversy Bethesda as a company has made some great games and has a big enough library that I think this could work if they put in the effort and be really successful.

Right now even if I have a huge library on Steam I am using Discord for chat. I am already using a better app for communication, so Steam is not the superior application for every aspect of PC gaming. It is not even an extra click because these app are set to run when I start my PC. It is just a different button.

I cannot see how Bethesda improving on their own applications is bad for all. The multiple applications excuse/reasoning is not that big of an issue.
Read the whole thing, not just a word and get triggered.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Since 2012 we got:

-Refund system
-Streaming system
-Steam Controller-
-Customizable controller
-New Chat
-Big Picture Mode
-Steam Trading Cards
-Steam Music
-Steam Workshop
-Publisher/Dev Pages
-18+ Content allowed
-Linux/Proton
-VR Plattform
-VR Hardware
-New Shop design

I'd add the changes to the review system have been huge. It is totally awesome to be able to define where review bombing is taking place, jump in to find out why, block that if I want, understand if there are regional issues causing changes to reviews, see how reaction to a game has changed over time. I love it. No platform captures this. A fun example I was discussing just the other day - Stellaris:

UnMyiQh.png

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wouldn't have an issue with this if the Bethesda Launcher was even remotely competent, and, well, didn't leak personal data to anybody with the ability to make a support ticket.

Same with the Epic shit, they bring some cool releases, I have no problem reinstalling their launcher. Gamer's are their fucking loyalty/purity tests are lame as fuck.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steam has operated in the last 6 years without a visual refresh basically because it hasn't HAD to have a visual refresh. It's a very well compartmentalized design. Valve can create new features on a regular basis without upsetting the apple cart.

Around the same time you got your PC, Steam launched Big Picture Mode, the Steam Market and Steam Greenlight,. In 2013, it created a Linux client and brought in the Family Sharing feature. Have you tried Family Sharing? You should. It's a phenomenal feature the value of which cannot be overstated.
in 2014 Steam brought in In home streaming and their discovery queue system. They launched broadcast streaming, steam os, steam boxes, and steam machines in 2015. In 2016 they launched SteamVR and revamped their discovery system. 2017 did away with Greenlight and brought us Steam Direct. We recently had a refresh of the friends system. Valve has also recently developed Proton and released a card game.

Steam continues to innovate, even when you don't notice. Steam has been anything but stagnant.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Steam has been redisignig his own UI this past year, Chat/whishlist already happened, just a few days ago we had screens of the new store/library UI, but of course i dont expect console gamers to know this stuff. So, kindly get the fuck out of pc threads.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If EA or Activision want to put real engineering resources into making a PC gaming portal that can compete with the Playstation/Xbox/Steam feature-set, *that* would be welcome competition. Just making another app with another account, which is only useful for downloading games from one publisher doesn't help and makes PC gaming worse overall.

Maybe a consortium of publishers need to work on this problem collectively, but I don't see them making any moves in this direction.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, RAGE 2 will sell zero copies on PC? Lol.

Because if there's two games you need to sell your launcher, it's a game nobody's really that interested in, and a game the entire world actively loathes.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never said the launcher IS I said CAN BE and SHOULD BE, because at the end of the day Bethesda should know what is better for their own games, not Valve.

I currently hate the launcher, it sucks in a lot of things, but it is not like I am screaming for them to put it on Steam or bust. I'd truly rather see them improve on that.

Ignoring some controversy Bethesda as a company has made some great games and has a big enough library that I think this could work if they put in the effort and be really successful.

Right now even if I have a huge library on Steam I am using Discord for chat. I am already using a better app for communication, so Steam is not the superior application for every aspect of PC gaming. It is not even an extra click because these app are set to run when I start my PC. It is just a different button.

I cannot see how Bethesda improving on their own applications is bad for all. The multiple applications excuse/reasoning is not that big of an issue.

You seem to think Bethesda has its own launcher to somehow benefit its games, whether in performance or functionality (you don't elaborate), as opposed to the reality where its launcher is just a way to avoid giving Steam a 30% (or now even smaller) cut.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's one way to cripple your unexpected sequel that no one was really asking for.

I predict great numbers for Rage 2.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Origin Access and Premier?
uPlay's ability to turn reward points/achievements into 20% discounts on their store?
GOG allowing you to get a DRM copy of a game if you own the game on another platform (Steam)?
Battle.net with built-in party system (before Steam updated friends) and Facebook streaming?

Just because these other launchers don't have 1:1 feature parity with Steam doesn't mean that they don't offer some interesting features or perks. I don't lose a step when I have to use Origin to play Battlefield or Battle.net to play Destiny.
Battle.net still doesn't have international friends list/chat in the client lmao

GOG allowing you to get copies of your Steam games is more of a Steam feature than a GOG one, too.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd rather see them put stuff on steam and improve their launcher, This exclusive shit on each launcher is annoying and stupid.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Competition isn't good if the competition is literally too fucking incompetent of providing software that actually works.
You'd think a fucking developer of all people would understand such a basic concept.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at the amount of people skipping games they would otherwise be interested in just because they aren't releasing on Steam.

What the fuck? That's so odd to me.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

I'm curious mister Dice... Are you able to explain to me how a publisher keeping their games exclusive to their own launcher - that isn't cheaper than Steam, doesn't sell 3rd party games and lacks the majority of Steams features - is good for everyone?

Go ahead, I'm listening.

Oct 27, 2017
PC is an open platform people. Some of us want games on whatever launcher we choose. I don't want to be beholden to one specific launcher (in this case an enormous POS) and be beholden to that launcher's regional pricing, DRM, and cloud save options. It's about choices. Exclusivity removes that choice.

It's not about Steam. It's about removal of choice. It's ignorant at best and disingenuous at worst to just say "oh people just want this on Steam, boo hoo".

Status
Not open for further replies.