• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Another game out of the buy list. I'll vote with my wallet as I've always done since the GFWL debacle

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Count me in with the no steam no buy crowd. I don't think they're going to like the sales numbers on the PC and they only have themselves to blame.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at the amount of people skipping games they would otherwise be interested in just because they aren't releasing on Steam.

What the fuck? That's so odd to me.
I'm skipping this one because there's no refund policy in place, and Bethesda often release games in a shitty state. I won't buy any game from them until I know I can get my money back if it's a trash product.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Very saddened by the No Steam no buy crowd.
Competition is good for everyone. Monopoly is not.

Getting this one on day 1. :)

You can just come out and say you're doing it for the cut. No one is fooled by "competition" when a player can only buy a game from one store.

I'm skipping this one because there's no refund policy in place, and Bethesda often release games in a shitty state. I won't buy any game from them until I know I can get my money back if it's a trash product.

Not just that, but no real review system and no forums for community support. For a company with a notorious reputation like Bethesda that's even worse.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm really surprised at the amount of people skipping games they would otherwise be interested in just because they aren't releasing on Steam.

Have you not seen the absolute shit show that is Fallout 76? Not even talking about the game but periphery things like the launcher deleting files, support tickets doxxing customers, etc. No god damn way do I trust Bethesda in this arena.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If DD was a new thing then i could maybe understand this happening. After the fallout 76 fiasco on the bethesda launcher i cannot believe they are going this route.

A barebones client, with no featueres and only issues. This isnt competition. Not even origin or uplay are competition to steam. Much less a game like rage 2.

I can handle 3 clients with origin uplay and steam but now epic and bethesda. Its so stupid.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017

Or any other storefronts, thats the problem, why is this so hard to understand? I'd probably still buy it if it was coming out on Origin, or fuck it even uPlay, but Bethesda tying it to their shitty launcher they've put zero fucking effort into? Not a chance.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
PC is an open platform people. Some of us want games on whatever launcher we choose. I don't want to be beholden to one specific launcher (in this case an enormous POS) and be beholden to that launcher's regional pricing, DRM, and cloud save options. It's about choices. Exclusivity removes that choice.

It's not about Steam. It's about removal of choice. It's ignorant at best and disingenuous at worst to just say "oh people just want this on Steam, boo hoo".

It's a removal of choice if you can't use features like in-home streaming, controller input mapping, big picture mode, etc with games released via per-publisher portals.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
Buy this game on bethesda launcher and have your credit card details sent to a random person's inbox

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

huh? why not just wait a day to see the review? will it kill you?

i don't understand this sentiment. you won't buy it because it doesn't have refund, and bethesda releases buggy games. why not wait a day for impressions, then buy it if it isn't buggy? seems so odd that you won't buy a game because the platform doesn't have a refund, in fear the game might be buggy, when you can just wait a day to find out whether or not it is - and then you don't have to worry about no-refund.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Well, that's a shame. I guess I'm out, then. I barely have the time to play the games I already have. Don't really need yet another platform.

If they do this to Doom Eternal, and why wouldn't they, it's going to be rough...

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Except it clearly is not "just because they aren't releasing on Steam" at all, and is very blatantly about the alternative now defacto service that is absolutely woeful - objectively.

You would be better off changing this argument to "no 'service that I enjoy using and provides me with great ways to enjoy my time playing' no buy"

Oct 25, 2017
No more free lunches for valve. Most of the major western publishers seem to have left with EA, Activision, Bethesda and Epic.

With that the only major western publisher left still supporting them is Ubisoft, which may also go uplay exclusive in the future.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i don't understand this sentiment. you won't buy it because it doesn't have refund, and bethesda releases buggy games. why not wait a day for impressions, then buy it if it isn't buggy? seems so odd that you won't buy a game because the platform doesn't have a refund, in fear the game might be buggy, when you can just wait a day to find out whether or not it is - and then you don't have to worry about no-refund.

because then we'll miss out on our pre-order bonuses and be a day behind everybody else in multiplayer! /s

The more you realize how many gamers have FOMO, the more you understand their seemingly illogical positions and purchasing habits

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Only thing that can force people to go to Beth launcher is only ES6 at this point. That thing is too hard to resist.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would obviously be better if it was on Steam too, but it's Bethesda's game so it's their prerogative, I guess?

You can't really equate this to Epic moneyhatting a third party game to make it exclusive to their PC store.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
eh, I might buy it used on PS4 sometime down the line

maybe. only if it's really good.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, there are other reasons. For example, someone above mentioned it also doesn't have two-factor authentication, making it decidedly less secure than other launchers, and the interface is poorly designed. I just don't want to bother with a company that doesn't even care enough to do the bare minimum at making a decent storefront.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It would obviously be better if it was on Steam too, but it's Bethesda's game so it's their prerogative, I guess?

You can't really equate this to Epic moneyhatting a third party game to make it exclusive to their PC store.
Most people are annoyed by how shitty Bethesda launcher is. And they have every reason to be after the FO76 fiasco, like no refunds or doxxing through customer support.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

I do not want to put my credit card information on a broken store that just leaked personal info a few days ago. I also don't want to pay over twice as much than I usually do because these half assed tries at a storefront don't have regional pricing.

I own hundreds of PC games. I'm not exactly hurting for more so I'm not gonna jump through hoops and bullshit to access them.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
So I totally get why most people want to stick with Steam currently but why are some of you so adamantly against even the prospect of a Steam competitor? I'm not implying there's one out now that's worth using for most PC games, but is it so improbable to think that a company will eventually rise to the challenge in offering something different and compelling as a substitute? Maybe it won't match Steam in every single feature they offer, which took them years to implement themselves, but may offer better pricing or other incentives when buying games there, for example.

Why are people ignoring all the other competitors that have showed up along the years and pretending this is the first time Steam faces competition?

Besides the dedicated launchers such as Battle.net and Bethesda, you've had GOG, Origin, Uplay, itch.io, Windows Store, Discord, Impulse (dead), GFWL (dead), Direct2Drive (died and was revived) and Desura (dead), not to mention all the online stores such as Humble, Amazon Digital, GMG and Voidu.

The issue is when a competitor appears in the form of a storefront attached to a barebones platform, whose main approach to competition revolves around making titles exclusive to their store. In Epic's case, even going so far as removing games from platforms they were already present (Genesis Alpha One) or were confirmed to release on (Satisfactory, Ashen).

More competition does not equal more choice as some are proclaiming; that's a false equivalence. No one would be complaining if these services had a similar approach to Humble: sell the game but let the developer use any platform they want, whether it's a Steamworks game, an Uplay game, a custom platform or just completely DRM free. I'm certain people would be fine with Ubisoft's approach too: sell the game in all the stores, but run everything through Uplay. Both of these approaches encourage healthy competition and give the customers additional choice.

The reason people are complaining is because choice is being removed, rather than added. They're being forced to use a digital platform to be able to play certain games, with absolutely no benefits to the customer. And if Fallout 76 is any indication, what they'll be getting are considerable drawbacks.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
because then we'll miss out on our pre-order bonuses and be a day behind everybody else in multiplayer! /s

The more you realize how many gamers have FOMO, the more you understand their seemingly illogical positions and purchasing habits

it's seriously stupid. i mean, the game isn't gonna run away. it's single-player, too. you spend your days doing mundane shit, you can't wait a day to play a game just so impressions can come in from those who get paid to give people impressions. apparently it's the platform's fault..i mean when will these consumers learn patience and accountability for their purchases..

if i'm on the fence over a movie, i wait a week and look at other people's impressions. it won't kill me and i won't have to waste my money. god.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Consumers that don't have any form of consideration for value outside of the game they buy are hard to educate on why it matters to support a system like Steam. If Steam is just a launcher like any other to you then you have failed as a customer and deserve to be taken advantage of in the end by the same people you are so thoughtlessly giving your money to, the real sad part is that these people drag other, more considerate people down with them when they are in the majority. Luckily it's not that easy anymore to destroy what we have atm, at least I hope so.

So if you say "No Steam no buy!" don't let nobody tell you any nonsense why that should be a bad thing!

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Very saddened by the No Steam no buy crowd.
Competition is good for everyone. Monopoly is not.

Getting this one on day 1. :)

I'm in no way in the "No Steam, No Buy" crowd, but I would imagine if you suddenly asked console gamers to create and maintain individual accounts on half a dozen different launchers that required your personal and billing information, and that even if they quit out of those launchers, most of them would still maintain some sort of memory/storage footprint on the console for updates, and on top of that having to contend with security concerns between all of those digital platforms on one console, those console gamers wouldn't be super happy about that.

But it's okay to do it to PC gamers, because whatever, we're just lucky we're getting games, right?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never said the launcher IS I said CAN BE and SHOULD BE, because at the end of the day Bethesda should know what is better for their own games, not Valve.

I currently hate the launcher, it sucks in a lot of things, but it is not like I am screaming for them to put it on Steam or bust. I'd truly rather see them improve on that.

Ignoring some controversy Bethesda as a company has made some great games and has a big enough library that I think this could work if they put in the effort and be really successful.

Right now even if I have a huge library on Steam I am using Discord for chat. I am already using a better app for communication, so Steam is not the superior application for every aspect of PC gaming. It is not even an extra click because these app are set to run when I start my PC. It is just a different button.

I cannot see how Bethesda improving on their own applications is bad for all. The multiple applications excuse/reasoning is not that big of an issue.
Simply put, we disagree about Bethesda's motivations and what the outcomes of this will be. Bethesda will make minimal attempts, if any, to compete on service. Compelling reasons why Bethesda games are best served by a Bethesda launcher will fail to materialize. Bethesda is nowhere near feature parity, and I highly doubt they ever will be. Bethesda has no motivation to compete on service when it's not how they intend to acquire your business through their launcher in the first game.

EA made similar claims about being able to better serve their customers through Origin than they could through Steam. A compelling and justifying feature has yet to materialize. EA does not appear to be trying to change this. Origin is far more stagnant a client than Steam. I expect no better of Bethesda.

I admire your positivity, but I the way I see things is this: there is no reason to believe that some day in the future, a publisher will unveil a compelling reason that their game is best served by their platform, in a way that Steam or indeed other platforms never could have matched. There is every reason to be ticked that I have to deal with every single subpar launcher.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Shit like this is why I went back to consoles. At least that way I don't have to maintain multiple accounts and applications just to buy stuff.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no thanks add me to the list.

Bethesda and my payment information what could go wrong lol

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people ignoring all the other competitors that have showed up along the years and pretending this is the first time Steam faces competition?

Besides the dedicated launchers such as Battle.net and Bethesda, you've had GOG, Origin, Uplay, itch.io, Windows Store, Discord, Impulse (dead), GFWL (dead), Direct2Drive (died and was revived) and Desura (dead), not to mention all the online stores such as Humble, Amazon Digital, GMG and Voidu.

The issue is when a competitor appears in the form of a storefront attached to a barebones platform, whose main approach to competition revolves around making titles exclusive to their store. In Epic's case, even going so far as removing games from platforms they were already present (Genesis Alpha One) or were confirmed to release on (Satisfactory, Ashen).

More competition does not equal more choice as some are proclaiming; that's a false equivalence. No one would be complaining if these services had a similar approach to Humble: sell the game but let the developer use any platform they want, whether it's a Steamworks game, an Uplay game, a custom platform or just completely DRM free. I'm certain people would be fine with Ubisoft's approach too: sell the game in all the stores, but run everything through Uplay. Both of these approaches encourage healthy competition and give the customers additional choice.

The reason people are complaining is because choice is being removed, rather than added. They're being forced to use a digital platform to be able to play certain games, with absolutely no benefits to the customer. And if Fallout 76 is any indication, what they'll be getting are considerable drawbacks.

The problem is that Steam has had such a head start that for a competitor to have complete feature parity with them would turn the project into a several years-long boondoggle. Valve also has the enviable position of being able to divert talent away from game development for several years at this point and just put it to work on building more features into the platform.

These competitors are still game publishers first, and are looking to ship a minimum viable product to get the ball rolling and start building a user base and momentum. The only way they can get traction initially is by having exclusives that force people to come to their platform. Origin would've been DOA if they didn't require everybody who wanted Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 to use it. They know they're not direct competition to Steam today, but they hope to get their one day (at least in Epic's case, as they seem the most committed to dethroning Steam).

I don't quite get the resistance. I remember a time where PC games had to be purchased, installed, and patched separately. Steam has coddled a lot of people in the last ten years. PC gaming has always been harder than consoles and always required more effort, investment, and troubleshooting know-how. If people's main priority is having all of their games in one launcher, there's some great consoles for them to try.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The problem is that Steam has had such a head start that for a competitor to have complete feature parity with them would turn the project into a several years-long boondoggle. Valve also has the enviable position of being able to divert talent away from game development for several years at this point and just put it to work on building more features into the platform.

These competitors are still game publishers first, and are looking to ship a minimum viable product to get the ball rolling and start building a user base and momentum. The only way they can get traction initially is by having exclusives that force people to come to their platform. Origin would've been DOA if they didn't require everybody who wanted Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 to use it. They know they're not direct competition to Steam today, but they hope to get their one day (at least in Epic's case, as they seem the most committed to dethroning Steam).

I don't quite get the resistance. I remember a time where PC games had to be purchased, installed, and patched separately. Steam has coddled a lot of people in the last ten years. PC gaming has always been harder than consoles and always required more effort, investment, and troubleshooting know-how. If people's main priority is having all of their games in one launcher, there's some great consoles for them to try.

"PC gamers don't want convenience"

Origin has been a minimum viable product for 7 years, and it's probably the best launcher other than Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.