• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that. Fallout was a big enough franchise that some people were willing to buy it even though it wasn't on Steam. Can't say the same about Rage.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Won't be buying then.

IMO launcher exclusive games are not good for consumers, and do nothing to further competition between platforms. From a usability perspective, I don't like everyone and their mom having their own platform either: if I want quick access to my entire games library, am I supposed to have Steam, Origin, GoG Galaxy, Uplay, Epic's launcher, Bethesda's launcher, Rockstar Social Club, and whoever the hell else decides to start their own's launcher, all running in the background? To hell with that!

Market fragmentation backed by platform holder or moneyhatted exclusives, rather than true competition between stores, offers me nothing but inconvenience.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what you mean about Steam being chosen for the customer base though.

That's the part you really have to understand to realize the difference between Bethesda releasing in Steam and Bethesda releasing on its own launcher. The first choice was necessitated because of cuatomer preference. Customers decided that they prefer Steam and Bethesda had to release its games there because it's what its customers wanted. Now Bethesda is launching its games on its own service because that's what Bethesda wants, not its customers. Is it really that hard to understand this?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I just uninstalled the Bethesda launcher (had it for the free beta for that Quake Online game) due to the snafu on the consumer data leak they had for the nylon bags. In this case it's not even a "stop fragmenting PC games" protest but a "this launcher is probably full of security vulnerabilities" issue. Never using it again.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand Fallout since that transcends even Steam. It is something that even the most hardcore Steam users would download a launcher for.

But Rage fucking 2? You're skipping out on a userbase of over 100 million users that wont even know the game exists, let alone go out of their way to download a shitty barebones launcher with nothing on it.

This is such a bad business decision, especially after Fallout 76 made everyone hate the launcher already.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
I'm really not at all bothered about things being on different stores but in this case are Bethesda insane? They literally just had AALLLLL the problems with FO76 and even the doxxing. Why the hell would you only put this on there?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
User Warned: Platform warring.
What, suddenly PC gamers don't love the open platform philosophy of PC and not being tied to a single walled garden like those pesky consoles?

Steam has been around for well over a decade and had time to work out the issues. New launchers will have issues and won't work flawlessly from the get go.

Last edited:

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility, personal attacks.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine shitposting about people wanting a game on Steam when the client in question has done the following

- deleted people's preloads if they clicked on a button
-their support is so broken they doxxed hundreds of their own users
-no refunds
-doesnt let you delete betas after the beta period ends

I feel like y'all would defend a client that kills your cat and blows up your PC when booting a game just so you can make some anti-Steam shitposts

What, suddenly PC gamers don't love the open platform philosophy of PC and not being tied to a single walled garden like those pesky consoles?
There's no openess on limiting your choices to, well , no choices. Y'all really don't know what open means lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like y'all would defend a client that kills your cat and blows up your PC when booting a game just so you can make some anti-Steam shitposts

I mean you defend a company that capes for bigoted devs and allows the most toxic members of the gaming community to flourish. Sooo... maybe some introspection is needed on your part?

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It didn't happen with Ubisoft. It didn't happen with EA. It's not gonna happen with Bethesda.

They want 100% of the $60. They don't want slightly more money, they want all of it.

Uh? Thats what I said. They want it all, but can or could make 30% more games for the same $60 now that there is no more 30% going to Valve. Not saying that they will.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, but not surprising. This is fine with me as long as the Bethesda launcher irons out the issues it has had. A few more clicks to launch a game isn't that big of a deal to me.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Can we get a mod to moderate this thread? The shitposting is reaching reddit level of stupidity.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Uh? Thats what I said. They want it all, but can or could make 30% more games for the same $60 now that there is no more 30% going to Valve. Not saying that they will.
They could give me a lifetime worth of free games. Doesn't mean that I should ever consider it as something that is within the realms of possibility.

NotoriousPUG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this means Fallout will be going the same route which is sad since I really enjoy the series. Here's to hoping GoTY edition should hit Steam.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man there are a lot of lousy hot takes defending this.

I've hit my limit of launchers, personally, and managing so many accounts is souring me on PC gaming after 2 decades of that generally being my primary platform. GOG is the only non-Steam launcher worth a damn to me. The rest suck. Bethesda's launcher is particularly bad, I ran into the uninstall bug with TESO... Rage 2 being exclusive to this launcher makes it an easy pass. Doom Eternal maybe as well. TES6... ehhhh we will see but I'm inclined to skip that or buy on next gen console. We have to vote with our money or publishers will continue to abuse us.

I will say though, even though this was inevitable as publishers tired of giving Steam its cut, the fact that Valve no longer releases major game exclusives to Steam kind of makes the platform dispensable. It is the best launcher and, with GOG, the best storefront. I wonder if that will be enough moving forward.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's too bad. I was planning to play it through proton. Welp. This is why I have a console.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just to get it out there, it isn't what I'd want but I'm ok with Bethesda only wanting to use their own platform for their games, just like Origin et al. I'm ok with developers selling their games on Epic Game Store. I'm NOT ok with Epic paying for exclusivity.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Bummer i was really looking forward to this game. My experience with the bethesda launcher was so bad i wound up buying quake champions on steam instead of continuing to play it for free. the shit i hear around fallout 76 doesnt sound like its improved any since ive dropped it

i dont even mind using other launchers.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Provocative drive-by post.
poor valve, maybe they'll have to back at making games.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Steam has ten times the features the Blizzard and Epic Games launcher have but they are both still extremely successful and will only get bigger.

Steam itself has been growing like a monster as it has added these community suggested features. Look at how the concurrent userbasr has grown over the last 5 years.

Saying users barely care about these things is patently false. You mentioned bnet but Blizzard have been adding a ton of features over the years. They have the metrics, they do it for good reason.

Your post was dismissive imo.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They could give me a lifetime worth of free games. Doesn't mean that I should ever consider it as something that is within the realms of possibility.

Well. It´s a possibility, no matter how much you and I believe in it.

And I bet that things like the microtransaction problem with EA games on Origin would be even worse if they were only on Steam yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.