• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
header_final_ot_1280p1kjqp.jpg

• Title: Raging Loop | Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P | レイジングループ
  • Genre: Horror, Suspense, Visual Novel X Werewolf/Mafia board game
  • Developer: Kemco, DWANGO Co. Ltd
  • Publisher: PQube, Kemco
  • Platforms: Switch, PS4, Steam
  • Price Physical: $39.99 | 39,99€ | £34.99 (Day One Edition with limited artbook)
  • Price Digital: $29.99 | 29.99€ | £24.99 (10% launch discount)
  • Size: Size: 911MB (Switch) |1.66 GB (PS4) | ?? (Steam)
  • Age Rating: M | PEGI 16 | USK 12 | CERO D
  • Official Website: PQube UK, Kemco JP
  • Scenario: Shūhei Nobuki (aka amphibian)
  • Direction: Shuuhei Nobuki (aka amphibian), Makiko Watanabe
  • Character Design: Kageyoshi (aka. Kagelow)
  • Music: Nonotsu (Studio Carnaval)
  • Localization: Lemnisca
  • Release:
    • October 18 (EU digital & physical)
    • October 22 (NA digital)
    • November 19 (NA physical)
    • December 5 (Steam)

story2skbn.jpg

storyynj4r.jpg

Immerse yourself in a thrilling psychological horror story taking place in the secluded Japanese village of Yasumizu. A heavy mist surrounds the place, preventing everyone from ever leaving. Ancient gods have come back to hunt the villagers down one by one. The feast has begun, can you escape the village alive?

After breaking up with his girlfriend, grad student Haruaki Fusaishi goes on a motorcycle trip to forget her, only to end up stranded in the remote settlement of Yasumizu. The next day, as he is repairing his bike, a mysterious mist drifts in, and all the villagers shelter inside their homes. Confused, Haruaki sees a mysterious figure with the body of a human and the head of a wolf that kills him.

Haruaki finds that instead of dying, however, he has instead looped back in time. After managing to hide from the creature this time, he discovers the village must engage in a ritual known as a "feast." Several of them have been replaced with spirits of ancient "wolves" that will kill one villager each night, and it is up to the villagers to discover who amongst them are the wolves, and execute them. Caught in an all-out war of doubt and trust, can Haruaki survive and discover the mysteries behind the feast and his looping…?
story202jmg.jpg

charactersr2jt6.jpg

characters_final2m1jdo.jpg

gameplayo5j3w.jpg

characters_allqhjrj.jpg

• The Feast
    Once upon a time, the mountain by the village was the home of five beast guardians. During the feast, some of the villagers of Yasimuzu will inherit their power.

• A visual novel with a complex branching story
    Keep track of all your choices thanks to a comprehensible flowchart. Rewind the story and select other actions to see different outcomes and learn about the characters' motivation. A death may be rewarded with a new piece of information, a Key that will give you access to new paths and bring you closer to the identity of the killer.

• An endless spiral of deaths
    Haruaki Fusaishi will find himself stuck in an inextricable loop from which he cannot escape. Conscious of his own fate, he will take advantage of all the knowledge acquired before his tragic deaths.

• An extensive new game plus
    Clear the game to unlock the Revelation Mode and discover the story in a new light. You will see the inner thoughts of the characters and unlock new scenes that will give you more insight about their motivation.

• The Wolves and Guardians
    • The Wolves kill one person every day.
    • The Snake sees if one is a wolf or a human.
    • The Spider protects one person from the Wolf.
    • The two Monkeys know each other's identity.
    • The Crow knows whether a corpse belonged to a Wolf or a Human.
guardianszbkxo.jpg

media8sk19.jpg

faqbqjws.jpg

• Rei-Jin-G-What-Now!?
    Raging Loop has been around for a while in Japan. The game was originally released in 2015 on Android and iOS. It became something of a cult hit and was ported to Vita, Switch and PC in 2017. A PS4 version then followed in 2018. Until the localization was officially announced in 2019, the game was known by its original title "Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P". Despite this inspired choice of title, neither The Patriots nor Tetsuya Nomura were involved in the creation of the game.

• So this originally came out in 2015? Is there already a sequel?
    There was talk for a while about a direct sequel in 2018, but that turned out to be a different VN: Saiaku Naru Saiyaku Ningen ni Sasagu - also written by amphibian. The popularity of the game has led to a seven part series of (currently untranslated) novels based on the story and characters of Raging Loop. Some notable collaborators like fellow VN writer Ryukishi07 have worked on those books. A comic book is also available. And then there's a soundtrack with this rad cover:
    soundtrackc3jm9.jpg

• I like VNs but have never heard of this one. Why should I play Raging Loop instead of something else?
    The combination of a classic horror VN with elements of the board game Werewolf makes Raging Loop a unique experience. The game is already somewhat of a fan favorite in Japan. It appeared in the Top 10 of The Best Adventure/VN Games Of All Time as voted on by Famitsu readers. On that list, it impressively sits right between genre classics like Kamaitachi no Yoru and Ever17:
    Go Nintendo said:
    20. Dream C Club Gogo. (PS3) - 73 pt
    19. Policenauts (PC/3DO/PSX/SS) - 77 pt
    18. Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - Zenpen/Kouhen (FC/GBA) - 83 pt
    17. EVE: Burst Error (SS/PC) - 86 pt
    16. Ghost Trick (NDS/iOS) - 92 pt
    15. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (PC/FC) - 94 pt
    14. Gyakuten Saiban 3 (GBA/NDS) - 104 pt
    13. Snatcher (PC/PC-E/PSX/SS) - 109 pt
    12. YU-NO: Konoyo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo (PC/SS) - 140 pt
    11. Super Danganronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen (PSP/PC) - 181 pt
    10. Chaos Child (Vita/PS4/PS3/XBO/PC) - 176 pt
    09. Ever17 -the out of infinity- (PS2/DC) - 187 pt
    08. NEW Danganronpa V3: Minna no Koroshiai Shingakk (Vita/PS4) - 198 pt
    07. Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P (Vita/PS4/iOS/Android) - 202 pt
    06. Kamaitachi no Yoru (GBA/SFC/PSX/iOS/Android) - 256 pt
    05. Machi (PSP/PSX/SS - 258 pt
    04. Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei (PS4) - 271 pt
    03. Gyakuten Saiban (GBA/NDS) - 108 pt
    02. 428 ~Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de~ (Wii/PS3/PSP/iOS) - 331 pt
    01. Steins;Gate (Vita/PSP/PS3/360/PC/iOS/Android) - 365 pt.

• How long is Raging Loop?
    Longer than the average VN. It takes between 30 and 50 hours to see the end. Afterwards, an inventive New Game Plus mode is unlocked that might give you enough of an incentive to play through the story again.

• Is there already a good guide available?
    There's no English guide available yet and it might take a while before someone makes one since this is a long game that just came out. If you're stuck, you can try this Japanese Guide with the auto-translate feature of your browser. This answer will be updated if an English guide becomes available.

• Is this game super gory or more of a suspense horror novel?
    Raging Loop is tense and scary, but its imagery is not very gory. The game describes what happens in detail though, so your imagination will play a part as well. Rather than explicit depictions, expect images like these:

g31fj8y.jpg
    g1sekn2.jpg
    g4lsjpz.jpg

• So this is a good Kemco game, huh? What's next from them? More VNs?
    Kemco announced three new Visual Novels during TGS 2019: RD, Shuumatsu Senki 0.1, and DMLC_R. RD appears to be the most interesting of the three. It's written by amphibian and the working title "RD" suggests a possible sequel or spiritual successor to Raging Loop.
    Gematsu said:
    RD (title tentative)
    The next romance horror game written by Kemco scenario writer Amphibian. The plot is already complete, so he's tackling everything else from here on. Amphibian is finished with writing his novel, so he finally started working on this. Before departing on this long journey to 202X, we are disclosing the bare minimum information.

* The story is set in a fictitious town on the coast of the Seto Inland Sea.
    * The protagonists are two girls + more.
    * A "mermaid"!?

Full-fledged development on RD has begun!

• Phil?
    Phil Connors!?
    giphyrsk3k.gif

reviewsoljv8.jpg

• GamePitt - 10/10
    Raging Loop isn't just one of my GOTY titles, it's one of my favourite Visual Novels of all time. The brilliant combination of horror, thriller, comedy, excitement and mystery all combines into a perfect package which I never wanted to end. KEMCO has done an outstanding job of turning a party game into a branching Visual Novel experience which fully immerses you within its world of beasts, Gods and fantasy. For the squeamish out there, the game relies heavily on verbally describing the horrific deaths rather than visually showing them, so don't worry about it getting too traumatic! All I can say is, Visual Novel fans need to buy this game – it's bloody brilliant!
  • Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5
    I can't recommend this game enough. It tells a cracking Shinto werewolf story, and the drama of the game's "courtroom" scenes are every bit as compelling as we've seen in the likes of Danganronpa and Lost Dimension. The presentation is a little on the pedestrian side, but don't let that put you off exploring one of the hidden gems of the genre.
  • Wccftech - 8.3/10
    I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of how a social mystery game like Werewolf could be transformed into a visual novel. However, my expectations were met nicely and Raging Loop was one of those visual novels that I simply couldn't put down. From one loop to the next, I was enraptured with the mysteries that slowly unraveled throughout Raging Loop. While more of a guided experience than the likes of Virtue's Last Reward or AI: The Somnium Files, KEMCO has surprised me with a psychological thriller that easily ranks up there among Uchikoshi's best.
  • Noisy Pixel - 8/10
    While this game might seem like an average horror adventure with one true ending and multiple bad endings, the New Game+ is too good to pass up for fans of the genre. It's these new features that the developer has added, which make this lore filled adventure a must-play title.
  • PSX Brasil - 8.5/10
    Raging Loop brings mystery, tradition, horror and intrigue in a single package just in time for Halloween, but that should be remembered long after it.
  • KeenGamer - 8/10
    Despite requiring a short while to get properly invested, Raging Loop has a lot to offer that will keep you attached once it's set its claws in. Bolstered with well-drawn, fleshed out characters and vivid storytelling, this visual novel is a welcome fit for anyone interested in multi-layered psychological stories no matter how well-versed they are with the genre.
  • Gamereactor - 7/10
    Making a visual novel game scary isn't an easy thing to do, but Raging Loop has achieved that with thick atmosphere and excellent sound design. The looping format isn't always executed amazingly well, but you could do much worse than to play Raging Loop this Halloween, as it's a disturbing tale of paranoia, deceit, and mystery, one that has plenty of twists and turns to boot.
  • The Fandom Post - A-
    If you've been searching for a spooky story to keep you cozy in this fall and wintry time, this is the one for you. While it does have a just okay resolution, the rest of the package comes together to have Raging Loop stand among the greats as one of the best visual novels of all-time.
  • Phenixx Gaming - 8.5/10
    I'm not someone who loves playing numerous visual novel-based games.
  • Famitsu - 8 / 8/ 8 /8 (32/40)

letsplaysuvk2e.jpg

sourcesthanks03kau.jpg

dieanotherheartydeathuwk3r.jpg

line_sticker28ljit.jpg

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it's been on PC for 2 years, anyone already played it?

NVM, looks like the english PC translation is in December.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this was coming out in English so soon. I enjoyed my time with the JP version a few years back (I'll have to dig up my thread on it) but I'm surprised it's scoring quite this high. Then again I didn't do much of the NG+ stuff despite how cool it was.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
So after I finish reading AI: The Somnium Files, I should get both this and NG.

I'm going bankrupt this year.
Yup, it's been an amazing month or so for VN fans.

Looks like it's been on PC for 2 years, anyone already played it?

NVM, looks like the english PC translation is in December.
The Japanese version has been out on Steam for a while, the English version comes out this December.

Here's an older Era Thread with import impressions. I played about 8 hours of the import and also think it's very good.

The game is already somewhat of a fan favorite in Japan. It appeared in the Top 10 of The Best Adventure/VN Games Of All Time as voted on by Famitsu readers. On that list, it impressively sits right between genre classics like Kamaitachi no Yoru and Ever17:

20. Dream C Club Gogo. (PS3) - 73 pt
19. Policenauts (PC/3DO/PSX/SS) - 77 pt
18. Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - Zenpen/Kouhen (FC/GBA) - 83 pt
17. EVE: Burst Error (SS/PC) - 86 pt
16. Ghost Trick (NDS/iOS) - 92 pt
15. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (PC/FC) - 94 pt
14. Gyakuten Saiban 3 (GBA/NDS) - 104 pt
13. Snatcher (PC/PC-E/PSX/SS) - 109 pt
12. YU-NO: Konoyo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo (PC/SS) - 140 pt
11. Super Danganronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen (PSP/PC) - 181 pt
10. Chaos Child (Vita/PS4/PS3/XBO/PC) - 176 pt
09. Ever17 -the out of infinity- (PS2/DC) - 187 pt
08. NEW Danganronpa V3: Minna no Koroshiai Shingakk (Vita/PS4) - 198 pt
07. Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P (Vita/PS4/iOS/Android) - 202 pt
06. Kamaitachi no Yoru (GBA/SFC/PSX/iOS/Android) - 256 pt
05. Machi (PSP/PSX/SS - 258 pt
04. Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei (PS4) - 271 pt
03. Gyakuten Saiban (GBA/NDS) - 108 pt
02. 428 ~Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de~ (Wii/PS3/PSP/iOS) - 331 pt
01. Steins;Gate (Vita/PSP/PS3/360/PC/iOS/Android) - 365 pt.

source: Go Nintendo

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing this one for review and honestly, if it serves the comparison, I'm liking it a bit more than NG so far.

If you get the references, this is Higurashi meets Umineko meets a forum mafia game.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The game is already available or will be soon on the different EU eShops and PSN Stores.

The digital version is cheaper (29.99€ | £24.99) and there's an additional launch discount of 10% (so you currently only have to pay 26.99€ | £22.49).

edit: The physical edition is more expensive but it comes with an artbook:

Last edited:

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Oooh, didn't know this was coming out in the west. I saw this a few times when I would check out the JP eshop and thought it looked interesting.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
if it has a nice icon, im there day 1
heard enough good things and i love VNs

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in this game, but I'd like to know how gory it is. I don't really like things that are pure horror, but I love suspense and thrillers.

Like DanganRonpa and AI: The Somnium Files have been totally fine for me in terms of gore, but if it goes beyond that, I might not be into it.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I forgot I'd written that much. I'll probably play the EN version at some point, but I'm in no rush. Super curious to hear more people's impressions though.
Your impressions and the other site you linked to in that thread got me really curious about Raging Loop. I've played a bit of it on Vita and later some more on Switch. I really liked it, but something always came up and I never finished the game. Like you said back then, it's not the easiest read in Japanese and trying to jump back in after a long break hasn't worked so well for me. At this point, I think I'll just triple-dip and start a new game in English. Hope I can still squeeze it in during spooky month.

edit: link to the site mentioned above for anyone curious

Last edited:
OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this game, but I'd like to know how gory it is. I don't really like things that are pure horror, but I love suspense and thrillers.

Like DanganRonpa and AI: The Somnium Files have been totally fine for me in terms of gore, but if it goes beyond that, I might not be into it.
You should be fine if you made it through Ai, the game isn't overly graphic from what I've seen. It relies more on descriptions of what happened instead of showing you extremely gory imagery.

This review goes into more detail and has a comparison with the much more graphic Spirit Hunter NG.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the praise, I guess this is more than "just" a horror VN? By which I mean that it tells an actually interesting story too and isn't solely interested in simply scaring the reader?

I might have to check this out. 30 euros is a tiny bit high, though. How's the length?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly I was so hyped seeing this on the Japanese Eshop like 2 years ago. I gave up hope of an English version and forgot about it. I didn't realise they were localising it until I found out a couple of weeks ago. Gonna have to pick this up.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Huh, is Gamestop the only place getting this physical for the US? Checked Best Buy and Amazon first but it's not there.
Gamestop says 11/19 for the release date too. This is a PQube published game alright..

But Gamestop's better than not getting one at all I guess.

I might have to check this out. 30 euros is a tiny bit high, though. How's the length?
vndb says Long (30 - 50 hours)

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I found AI had more explicit gore than Raging Loop. This one barely shows anything, if you ask me.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gamereactor - 7/10
Making a visual novel game scary isn't an easy thing to do, but Raging Loop has achieved that with thick atmosphere and excellent sound design. The looping format isn't always executed amazingly well, but you could do much worse than to play Raging Loop this Halloween, as it's a disturbing tale of paranoia, deceit, and mystery, one that has plenty of twists and turns to boot.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Game just arrived in the post today. Was only 34.99 here and it comes with an artbook. Need to beat Control or Zanki Zero first before diving in but excited to play it over Halloween.

I also got Root Letter: Last Answer two weeks back (also published by PQube here). My ADV/Visual Novel backlog sure is building!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Its a visual novel terrific year! Afters years of "nothing", there are really a lot now. Thanks for remembering me that this game came out, just bought it and gonna try it later!

Why?
Dunno, after another hour with it, it feels pretty cheap, and kind of like a less interesting Higurashi vibe-wise >.> I'll keep going with it, but yeah, not the greatest first impression.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Wccftech - 8.3/10
I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of how a social mystery game like Werewolf could be transformed into a visual novel. However, my expectations were met nicely and Raging Loop was one of those visual novels that I simply couldn't put down. From one loop to the next, I was enraptured with the mysteries that slowly unraveled throughout Raging Loop. While more of a guided experience than the likes of Virtue's Last Reward or AI: The Somnium Files, KEMCO has surprised me with a psychological thriller that easily ranks up there among Uchikoshi's best.

Dunno, after another hour with it, it feels pretty cheap, and kind of like a less interesting Higurashi vibe-wise >.> I'll keep going with it, but yeah, not the greatest first impression.
The game started out as a smartphone VN on iOS/Android in 2015. This current release is an improved version but presentation has never been the main selling point of Raging Loop. Not gonna lie, the art kept me from playing the game as well for a while and I'm pretty sure I've also called it low-budget Higurashi at one point before playing it.

But stick with it, the art grows on you the more you play and the story starts to pick up maybe two hours into the game. Raging Loop is fascinating in terms of story and narrative structure, especially if you're looking for some fresh ideas in your VN.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Shortly after writing that (Wccftech) review, I saw that Amphibian is working on some other visual novels including one involving a mermaid.

Gotta say I'm excited for whatever other ideas KEMCO and team decide to work with.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I'm excited for whatever other ideas KEMCO and team decide to work with.
Same here! I looked into Kemco / amphibian as well and found out about this 2013 VN called "D.M.L.C -Death Match Love Comedy-".

It's set in the same universe as Raging Loop and looks like an interesting spin on another played-out VN genre: dating.

The game was exclusive to smartphones and WiiU(!), but Kemco announced an updated version called DMLC_R that will be out in early 2020 in Japan.

Here's the man himself announcing the next couple of Kemco VNs during TGS:

source

edit: And yeah, that next big game sounds interesting. The working title "RD" could hint at a Raging Loop sequel.

Last edited:

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested but not into the art. Thanks for making this thread. Made me aware of the game. Will probably pick it up eventually.