• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolfman.JD

Nov 24, 2017
What games nailed rain in Video Games?

Right now the UK heat has me wishing for rain which got me thinking games that did it right.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homefront: The Revolution's raindrop effect nailed the transition from not raining to raining in a way no other game I've played has.
HFTR_Rain_Gif.gif

Nov 17, 2017
animal%20crossing%20rain.png

Animal Crossing always had a nice atmosphere when it rained.

Also props to Breath of the Wild. NPCs reacted to rain and would run for cover when it started, fires would go out, bomb arrows and barrels wouldn't detonate, electricity would create shockwave, walls would become slick, large puddles would form. Rain was a lot more than just an aesthetic.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Breath of the Wild is up there for sure. The way the rain flows down cliffs and actually makes it hard to climb is so detailed.

Red Dead Redemption had amazing rain and so I imagine RDR2 will outdo it. Rain would create puddles.

Those Driveclub images make me feel so cozy! I need to play this.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Rain World. Made by friends of friends and not terribly successful, but oh boy did they NAIL the terror of an impending apocalyptic rainstorm. Please, take a moment out of your day to witness this nightmare:

Understand that this is a game about pushing your limits, venturing farther and farther each day, trying to find the next shelter. There is nothing more terrifying than venturing past the point of no return and having to race against time in order to find the next shelter before the rain consumes you.

This game was an underappreciated masterpiece, imo.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Absolutely beautiful but the fact that you can not change the speed of the variable speed wiper during heavy precipitation is utterly nonsensical and infuriating.

Is there any arcade racer that does let you customize wiper speed? I'm actually curious.

Maybe they want to maintain an equal level of visibility for competitive/online purposes?

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
nothing out there even touches Driveclub when it comes to how incredibly realistic the rain is

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Any car games that do rain transitions? Don't play driving games that much but it feels like weather there is always there from the start of the race. Would be cooler and more impressive if it started during the race.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Wouldn't be a rain thread without....well, Rain.

Also, Driveclub, but that's been pointed out. Driveclub nails it. A lot of the other games in this thread are just good games with otherwise throwaway rain effects.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have missed #DRIVECLUB's gifs.

Crazy how far into the gen we are and those are still the best rain grafix

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead Redemption is still my fav. When it rains, it completely changes the scenery and the mood of the game. And those delicious thunderstorms... also, especially impressive considering its a 7th gen game; puddles logically form as it rains, and they gradually dry up when it stops. The only other game from that gen that does that is GTA 5 and PGR4 I think.

Any car games that do rain transitions? Don't play driving games that much but it feels like weather there is always there from the start of the race. Would be cooler and more impressive if it started during the race.

Forza Horizon 2-3, Project Cars 1-2, Driveclub, and many more.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Graphically I always liked the way Sleeping Dogs looked at night in the rain with the neon lights reflecting in puddles.
In terms of the atmosphere of a wet day nothing comes close to Persona 5

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rain is my favourite atmosphere to be in. Especially in video games.

I can hear all of your gifs.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Is there any arcade racer that does let you customize wiper speed? I'm actually curious.

Maybe they want to maintain an equal level of visibility for competitive/online purposes?

That is a good question. I only played Motorstorm (PR) before this and iirc it neither featured rain nor first person view.

As for maintaining equal levels of visibility, while that would make sense if the perspective was locked. Switching to third person view definitely gives the player an advantage. It is like game's inane wiper mechanic works against itself and prevents people from using cockpit view.

And I have seldom played DC online. For me, it has almost exclusively been about time trials.

Can you change the wiper speed in any racing game? Ever?

I was looking into the giants of racing, GT and Forza and it looks like you are correct. It is a shame that for the games that are so focused on realism and authenticity they overlook this very basic function that sabotages reasons for using cockpit view.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some great picks already, This is my favorite.

Can't wait to another game (in third person) top this.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That is a good question. I only played Motorstorm (PR) before this and iirc it neither featured rain nor first person view.

As for maintaining equal levels of visibility, while that would make sense if the perspective was locked. Switching to third person view definitely gives the player an advantage. It is like game's inane wiper mechanic works against itself and prevents people from using cockpit view.

And I have seldom played DC online. For me, it has almost exclusively been about time trials.

Visibility in third-person is still impaired in Driveclub, but I get what you're saying. It's not equal regardless.
I personally always drive in cockpit mode in DC, it's incredibly immersive and the rain only makes it better.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is more impressive than rain in Drive Club.But others good choices for me is Uncharted 4,The Last of Us,Breath of the Wild,Shadow of the Colossus,Grand Theft Auto V,Metal Gear Solid V.