• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Most toxic team based game I ever played on console. Ranked or casual. But I love the gameplay too much to stop playing.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Most toxic team based game I ever played on console. Ranked or casual. But I love the gameplay too much to stop playing.

Yeah, just have to learn to accept that unfortunately. Whenever the teamkilling starts i just take that opportunity to try out some new guns or bullet penetration accuracy against my teammates too...

Best played with a team of friends of course :D

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Just picked this up and tried some of the Situations.

Really nice presentation and interesting gameplay. I always imagined a "trap house" sort of attack/defense game would be fun, and this is probably the best implementation of it around. (Don't remember there being anything like Siege before current gen.)

The guns feel pretty good (even after playing the MW alpha), and characters feel nice and weighty in the world.
Being able to rappel anywhere and blast down most walls creates a great tension, even against bots.
Also I'm surprised at how good the barricade/breaching mechanics are. The animations are really satisfying. Feels like they'll never get old.

Questions:
- Do you make less noise while walking/crouching? (The footstep sound design is really nice.)
- I got the "Deluxe" edition, which just comes with the year 1 operators. Should I worry about unlocking anyone?
I.e. is it similar to something like For Honor, where each character plays very differently, or more like Warframe where pretty much anything is viable and it's simply a matter of preference/experimentation?
- Any tutorial recommendations or other noob-friendly advice?

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza

yvl3s48w7fk31.gif

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up and tried some of the Situations.

Really nice presentation and interesting gameplay. I always imagined a "trap house" sort of attack/defense game would be fun, and this is probably the best implementation of it around. (Don't remember there being anything like Siege before current gen.)

The guns feel pretty good (even after playing the MW alpha), and characters feel nice and weighty in the world.
Being able to rappel anywhere and blast down most walls creates a great tension, even against bots.
Also I'm surprised at how good the barricade/breaching mechanics are. The animations are really satisfying. Feels like they'll never get old.

Questions:
- Do you make less noise while walking/crouching? (The footstep sound design is really nice.)
- I got the "Deluxe" edition, which just comes with the year 1 operators. Should I worry about unlocking anyone?
I.e. is it similar to something like For Honor, where each character plays very differently, or more like Warframe where pretty much anything is viable and it's simply a matter of preference/experimentation?
- Any tutorial recommendations or other noob-friendly advice?
Yes you make less noise crouching and walking, or even crouch walking, but it's still audible. It sounds basically exactly the same to others as it does to you, the sound design takes getting used to in some edge cases but for the most part it's VERY intuitive.

You'll want to unlock more for sure, starting with Y1 is an ok leg up, but just play and get used to ops and you'll start to get an idea of who you want to unlock.

Each character plays differently in some ways, but obviously they all have guns and the basics of moving and shooting. That said, the gadgets and gun loadouts are important and do lead to playing different characters in different ways, but at the end of the day you can always shoot someone with anyone. As far as VIABILITY, every op is viable, the sole 'wut' character still being Tachanka who has long been a meme. The rest are more or less useful but it's all about situations. Warden is pretty low on the tier list right now, for example, because his gadget can go entire rounds without mattering pretty easily. One of the most important things is speed/armor - characters are either 1 armor 3 speed, 2 and 2, or 3 and 1. Heavy characters are MUCH slower and louder, and fast characters are much faster and quieter. It is almost always better to be a faster character, but that's purely in a vacuum assuming everything else was equal.

Tutorial recommendations: I don't have any specifically, you did the situations, yeah? Newcomer playlist is ok as well, though it also has smurfs which can ruin things. The playlist has only 3 maps which really helps with the learning curve so you can see how the game really plays faster, because map knwoledge is 100% king in Siege, it's the first skill you need to develop and it is also the hardest to achieve. Casual and Ranked have tons of maps and it slows that process down a lot. I know Varsity Gaming had those siege school videos, dunno if they're outdated or not, and really there's just a lot to learn, we're a good resource here for questions if ntohing else.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Ubisoft's own Spies vs. Mercs mode from Splinter Cell is kind of the closest thing to being Siege's direct predecessor. There's also SWAT 4's PVP modes, Call of Duty's Search & Destroy, and ofc Counter Strike. There's nothing quite like Siege though because of the particular restrictions it gives the sides and the destructibility system.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Thank you TheYanger for the prompt and detailed reply!
That's really solid info. I was going to ask if the actual online gameplay was as slow-paced/methodical as the Situations, but it sounds like speed is a much greater factor. As I feared, but I'm willing to at least try and learn the maps and a few specific ops. Got a couple of irl friends who play, so I'll probably roll with them mostly.

Good to know about player noise and character speed/armour. I'll finish up the Situations and then jump into Newcomer. Not looking forward to smurfs and/or TKers, but guess that can't be helped.

Ubisoft's own Spies vs. Mercs mode from Splinter Cell is kind of the closest thing to being Siege's direct predecessor. There's also SWAT 4's PVP modes, Call of Duty's Search & Destroy, and ofc Counter Strike. There's nothing quite like Siege though because of the particular restrictions it gives the sides and the destructibility system.

Ah yeah! Loved SvM back in Chaos Theory. Never tried CoD S&D, but dunno how I could forget SWAT 4 and CS.
Siege definitely feels unique, though. More than scratches that tactical shooter itch.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

I recommend playing with that cast first, it's already a lot and you will see what kind of characters and guns you prefer.

Then you can cherrypick or just buy a season at a time to expand your selection.

Many original characters are still being played a lot and have unique extremely useful skills like Thatcher and Rook for example.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I had a go of this for the first time in a few months (I think the Australian operators was the last patch I played), and PS4 performance finally seems to be fixed for me.
Since I got the game, midway through season 1, I've always had issues with the game freezing after basically every match outside of Terrorist Hunt and Situations, but I played for a few hours last night, and had no issues.

I normally stick with Ash, IQ, Doc, and Kapkan, but I gave a few of the other operators a try; I really like Fuze's AK, like, it's probably the best feeling gun I've found in the game so far. I'm still awful at everything that isn't shooting people, but not having to restart the game every time I finish a match makes learning a lot more appealing.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I recommend playing with that cast first, it's already a lot and you will see what kind of characters and guns you prefer.

Then you can cherrypick or just buy a season at a time to expand your selection.

Many original characters are still being played a lot and have unique extremely useful skills like Thatcher and Rook for example.
Cheers, will do. Sounds like even some of the cheaper/earlier ops are still viable. Gonna unlock a few after finishing up Situations and jump online.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers, will do. Sounds like even some of the cheaper/earlier ops are still viable. Gonna unlock a few after finishing up Situations and jump online.

Oh absolutely. Like Yanger said, only Tachanka is useless :D (and as explanation, he is designed to be immobile, and that's a huge disadvantage in this game)

Every character is different even when some have similar skills to others. Then it's just about your playstyle and, if you play well in a team, what the team needs :)

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the clarification Noisepurge .
Seems like a very demanding, but rewarding game!

Indeed! And like others have posted, nothing quite similar exists so it's worth suffering through the toxic community as well.

As for good teampicks,
For example on defense, if the rest of your team picks fast characters that are intended for roaming the map and being offensive defenders. It's not a bad idea to pick:
Rook to give everyone armor, also has the MP5 with an ACOG that's one of the best guns on defense (simple but contributes already to the whole team)
Castle to block some windows and doors (but learn which doors to block, don't block all!)
Yager, Mute and Bandit to block electronics/grenades/wallbreaches (solid picks to disrupt the enemy team)

Attacking is a little harder as you need to, well, attack, but you generally have better weapons:
Thermite and Thatcher are a great character combo. (Thatcher to disable electronics and traps, Thermite to breach reinforced walls.)
Ash and Fuze are solid offensive ones with explosives (unless playing Hostage, never pick Fuze if the game-mode is Hostage!)
Twitch has a unique offensive drone, use it to destroy defensive gadgets. And has the Famas, even if it's recoil was recently nerfed.

And yeah, Siege School videos on youtube from Varsity Gaming can be useful to learn some tips and tricks, some character related info might be outdated but still the tactics and such are of course valid stuff.

Last edited:

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I had gone away for a few months from this game but recently got back to it. Good to see I've sti got it. I've noticed a lot of people are hesitant on shooting through breachable walls. I've gotten tons of kills just on guessing someone will be there. They totally think I'm hacking too.

I'm sitting on close to 100,000 renown since I've passed on the last 4 operators. Nothing about them is appealing to me.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I had gone away for a few months from this game but recently got back to it. Good to see I've sti got it. I've noticed a lot of people are hesitant on shooting through breachable walls. I've gotten tons of kills just on guessing someone will be there. They totally think I'm hacking too.

I'm sitting on close to 100,000 renown since I've passed on the last 4 operators. Nothing about them is appealing to me.
You don't like Mozzie or Gridlock? They both have fun/good guns and a great and good gadget. This season's operators though, yeesh. Wish I would have saved my renown.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Gridlock and Mozzie are amazing. Outback ended up being a solid map so that is one of the best seasons in recent history.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
R6 was being so shitty on PS4 atm. Something must have been up with the servers because it was being very slow and giving me errors constantly. Also, MM was very messed up. My team were nothing but new players (not even smurfs) against teams of diamonds/plats lol.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
R6 was being so shitty on PS4 atm. Something must have been up with the servers because it was being very slow and giving me errors constantly. Also, MM was very messed up. My team were nothing but new players (not even smurfs) against teams of diamonds/plats lol.

Are you EU or NA? I've been away for a few days so I can't really tell.

Sophie

Oct 28, 2017
Had a pretty insane Ace yesterday, but I got too hyped and proud, so I forgot to hit Shadowplay. :(

Unrelated, if anyone wants to add me:

AphroditeR6 (PC)

Only problem for me is I have very bad internet, and I live in the EU so I have to be the host. Otherwise it won't be playable for me.

Last edited:

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Had a pretty insane Ace yesterday, but I got too hyped and proud, so I forgot to hit Shadowplay. :(

Unrelated, if anyone wants to add me:

AphroditeR6

Only problem for me is I have very bad internet, and I live in the EU so I have to be the host. Otherwise it won't be playable for me.
On PC?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Indeed! And like others have posted, nothing quite similar exists so it's worth suffering through the toxic community as well.

As for good teampicks,
For example on defense, if the rest of your team picks fast characters that are intended for roaming the map and being offensive defenders. It's not a bad idea to pick:
Rook to give everyone armor, also has the MP5 with an ACOG that's one of the best guns on defense (simple but contributes already to the whole team)
Castle to block some windows and doors (but learn which doors to block, don't block all!)
Yager, Mute and Bandit to block electronics/grenades/wallbreaches (solid picks to disrupt the enemy team)

Attacking is a little harder as you need to, well, attack, but you generally have better weapons:
Thermite and Thatcher are a great character combo. (Thatcher to disable electronics and traps, Thermite to breach reinforced walls.)
Ash and Fuze are solid offensive ones with explosives (unless playing Hostage, never pick Fuze if the game-mode is Hostage!)
Twitch has a unique offensive drone, use it to destroy defensive gadgets. And has the Famas, even if it's recoil was recently nerfed.

And yeah, Siege School videos on youtube from Varsity Gaming can be useful to learn some tips and tricks, some character related info might be outdated but still the tactics and such are of course valid stuff.
Thanks for this great advice.
Had my first online session with a couple of friends, and it was a blast.
For now I've bought Rook and Castle on defence, as you can be useful right at the start of the round, then concentrate on improving your general game.
Plus Thermite and Thatcher on offence, to encourage actively using abilities and learning when the team needs what.

In terms of toxicity, we had a couple of TKers... Maybe they didn't like our low rank, or it was something we did. Regardless, they get reported and you move on with your life. Shame that an otherwise great game can be tainted by this behaviour, but nay mind. Gotta stay professional and show the kiddies how it's done.

I'll be working through the Siege School vids in my spare time. Thanks again!

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This coming season is going to be super brutal since there will be no boosting and a shit ton of hackers will be in the mix. This is true for plat on PC anyway.

I'm honestly not excited at all.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry in advance for the 5 minute, unedited gameplay video but I just wanted to share with you guys how hilariously bad I (but really me AND my friends) can be at Siege. The guy talking at the end was just spectating via my Discord stream and decided to recap the events for the rest of the squad at the end, but he lied (at least about me shooting Cav in the back)

This is pretty much the single worst round of Siege I've ever played lol

Edit: Oh and also volume warning, one of the guys we play with has a real bad hot/spiking mic when he gets loud, he's trying to fix it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry in advance for the 5 minute, unedited gameplay video but I just wanted to share with you guys how hilariously bad I (but really me AND my friends) can be at Siege. The guy talking at the end was just spectating via my Discord stream and decided to recap the events for the rest of the squad at the end, but he lied (at least about me shooting Cav in the back)

This is pretty much the single worst round of Siege I've ever played lol

Edit: Oh and also volume warning, one of the guys we play with has a real bad hot/spiking mic when he gets loud, he's trying to fix it.
That's an OOFer.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
A friend sent me this and was posted on the RB6 reddit. Waiting for our resident insider to confirm!

ATK - thermite-like impact grenades. 1 to destroy hard wall, something else needed to destroy soft wall

DEF - nomad-like jager. unlimited uses until destroyed

If this is old news or already been debunked, please forgive me. We definitely need another distance hard breacher.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Can't speak to the validity but I remember hearing stuff about there being a new operator coming to give Jager competition so that DEF op could it.

CC149er

Dec 31, 2018
A friend sent me this and was posted on the RB6 reddit. Waiting for our resident insider to confirm!

ATK - thermite-like impact grenades. 1 to destroy hard wall, something else needed to destroy soft wall

If this is old news or already been debunked, please forgive me. We definitely need another distance hard breacher.
The guy that originally posted that information stated that those were concept ideas he made a day after the post was made and he deleted it after getting exposed. So right now don't believe any information unless it's coming from Kormora on here. All we know for a fact right at this moment is that there will be a operator that will give "Jäger competition."

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
The guy that originally posted that information stated that those were concept ideas he made a day after the post was made and he deleted it after getting exposed. So right now don't believe any information unless it's coming from Kormora on here. All we know for a fact right at this moment is that there will be a operator that will give "Jäger competition."

Ah, thanks. Knew it was too good to be true.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure what a Nomad-like Jager even means, sounds just like regular Jager.
Really wish I could play ranked. It would be a disaster with high latency, and disconnects. :(

They're coming out with unranked mode! It's like, ranked but without the SR. I can already tell I'll love it

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The abandon penalty for ranked needs to be so much more severe. Really sick of having a leaver in the first round and then having to play out a 4v5.

Ubi needs to realize that 30 min ban means nothing when the player might be getting off for the day anyway or they can just go queue casual. It's ridiculous that people can ruin the game for everyone else and waste 30-45 minutes of time for 4 other people and basically have no repercussions.

They should also have the tech to cancel matches by now if there's a leaver. I know people say that can be abused but all they have to do is detect if people are partied up together and if not then cancel the match.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Whats SR?
And how will unranked differ from casual?
SR is your rank.

It has the same ruleset as ranked but none of the stress of actually playing ranked. Good for if you have rank anxiety or if you have bad internet or if you just hate playing ranked for any other reason.

It's only bomb, only a handful of maps, there's a ban phase, shorter but more rounds.