• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The people that I play this game with are constantly complaining about things like when we get a bad map (house, yacht, favela, etc) constantly complaining about certain ops being in eeeevery game we play (personally I want Jackal deleted from the game but shield ops, Lesion and some others are consistently annoying) and how we (a bunch of sub-silver shitters) are always getting matched up with gold players, the occasional plat players and a never ending cavalcade of obvious smurfs that wipe their ass with us. And lastly they complain about the people we get matched on a team with (the times we aren't a full stack) don't care about winning at all. They troll us, team kill us, or just disconnect in the middle of the game.. My friends actually care about winning. And despite ALL this complaining, these people REFUSE to play ranked.

We got a taste of ranked style gameplay last week when there was a challenge to win unranked games and I loved it. I love being able to ban Jackal every game. I love that there's a set rotation of maps and almost none of them are dogshit. I loved that we actually had to pick meaningful operators and use some semblance of strategy to try and win. I loved that we had to use drones. I loved that every single game we were matched with same skill opponents and still won lots of games. Yet for some reason I can't convince any of these guys to play ranked with me. I DON'T GET IT. The solution to all their problems exists and they refuse it.

I dunno if they care about their actual ELO (I personally couldn't give less of a shit what my rating is, I just like the perks of playing ranked) but I doubt that's it because they don't even want to play unranked. They complain about match length (can go up to 9 rounds...) but the rounds are shorter, even if there are potentially more per game. We play for a set amount of time anyways. I've run out of arguments to try and get these guys on board. If we ever queue ranked one of the guys literally just alt-F4's like a child. One of them complains cause he wants to pick his "waifu" characters and doesn't want to worry about team comp. I don't get it. I hate this.

I want to just solo queue, but even tho the pubbers in ranked are more receptive to stuff like voice chatting and tactics, it still can be a volatile situation when we start losing and people start flaming. Not only that but the main reason I love this game so much is cause I can horse around with the lads while we play. I'd rather play casual with them than ranked with strangers.

edit: christ sorry for the blog

That's a bummer. I can bet that their problem is elo/ladder anxiety and the pressure that comes from deranking and wanting to be a certain rank. Unfortunately the only cure to that is to bite the bullet and just play a bunch of ranked until you don't care about that anymore. Personally I think Unranked being added to the game is one of the best things that's ever happened to it, because you can get the advantages of the ranked ruleset without the ELO worry, but you say they also don't want to play that? It might be that these guys just like complaining and having a scapegoat for stuff, and being in control like in ranked (pick/bans, site locations, etc) will just take away excuses.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I've exclusively been a casual player in my time with Siege up til the unranked playlist hit, so I might've caught the bug. It's refreshing that round times are shorter, but also a bit of an adjustment I need to make to my playstyle -- no more time to dillydally. Being Bomb only also helps with learning defense objectives. Although what I think I like most is that it helps alleviate the annoying load times in casual caused by drop in drop out, where someone will drop in a round, another will come in, and it'll take them forever to load in on the new round.

That said

I do dislike the pick/ban aspect for this reason. I feel like Ubi put it in ranked to get stats on which characters the community finds to be a problem only to have like a near 100% ban rate on Jackal, who can be annoying but isn't a big deal, and Clash who barely gets played anyway.

I think his suggestion to have the ban phase happen after first round to get an idea of what the team comps are gonna be and have it refresh when roles swap sounds way better and more fitting to what pick and ban should do. From my scrub perspective though I don't think the way the game plays for the general populace is conducive to a pick and ban system and that it wastes time more than anything.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying even though you voted no the game surrendered? This is a bug?
Yes that's what happened because that's the system. Currently, your team can surrender without being unanimous. I'm not reporting a bug, just saying it was a real kick in the gut to have the team throw up the white flag for me, especially in placements.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I've exclusively been a casual player in my time with Siege up til the unranked playlist hit, so I might've caught the bug. It's refreshing that round times are shorter, but also a bit of an adjustment I need to make to my playstyle -- no more time to dillydally. Being Bomb only also helps with learning defense objectives. Although what I think I like most is that it helps alleviate the annoying load times in casual caused by drop in drop out, where someone will drop in a round, another will come in, and it'll take them forever to load in on the new round.

That said

I do dislike the pick/ban aspect for this reason. I feel like Ubi put it in ranked to get stats on which characters the community finds to be a problem only to have like a near 100% ban rate on Jackal, who can be annoying but isn't a big deal, and Clash who barely gets played anyway.

I think his suggestion to have the ban phase happen after first round to get an idea of what the team comps are gonna be and have it refresh when roles swap sounds way better and more fitting to what pick and ban should do. From my scrub perspective though I don't think the way the game plays for the general populace is conducive to a pick and ban system and that it wastes time more than anything.

I think adjusting to the timer is probably the hardest thing for players and teams moving into Ranked. I see so many just sitting outside playing for peeks until there is 30 seconds left on the clock. Teams that do attack fast are usually the ones that end up winning attack rounds which wins games.

Personally I've started managing my attack time more strictly. Like making sure I'm droned in and into the building by 2:00, that I've gotten to a 'staging area' for the push by 1:00, and then using the last minute to attack or push the obj.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Are there any good Youtubers that gives some tips on how to improve my playstyle? I'm getting the hang of the game, but the peek-shooting stuff and what not gives me a hard time

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good Youtubers that gives some tips on how to improve my playstyle? I'm getting the hang of the game, but the peek-shooting stuff and what not gives me a hard time

VarsityGaming is good because he has a solo queue-only series where he'll talk through what he's doing as he plays, especially with regards to utility ops.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
Where is this canine Operator stuff coming from?
Twitter

fsapmg0q45r31.gif

Last edited:

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting input bugs? I've strafed left twice this morning when I was holding an angle. I also couldn't ADS for some moments the last round on Border. Pretty frustrating.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've found myself getting more aces than the past few years playing.
People who use their ping are the best, I ping every single round even if I'm the last man standing.

I never really played Caveira but now that people finally have other operators to choose from shes available more often. So much fun quickly getting the interrogation and having people salty with "cav main blahs blahs blah"

I've also been trying to be really creative with Fuze.

That reminds me, why the hell do people playing Hibana enter a building with no intention to breach a reinforced wall and end up dying leaving everyone to push through a longer more difficult way.
Same with Fuze, people play fuze and dont ever use it.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
4 years into this game and I'm still inconsistent as fuck lol. There's some rounds that I do very well, some that are just OK, and others where I can't even get a single kill.

Then again, the majority of the teams I face off against in casual are level 300+ platinum/diamond squads...

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I love this game, but I don' t have much time to play anything with depth and stay anything close to competitive, or even keep up with map knowledge ect.

So I want to play this, but it will only ever be with out of date knowledge and pretty shallow knowledge at that. If I just line up solo and try not to be totally stupid can I still have a decent time? I play on PS4 generally.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
I love this game, but I don' t have much time to play anything with depth and stay anything close to competitive, or even keep up with map knowledge ect.

So I want to play this, but it will only ever be with out of date knowledge and pretty shallow knowledge at that. If I just line up solo and try not to be totally stupid can I still have a decent time? I play on PS4 generally.
Play terrorist hunt and you can learn the maps and the objectives very well there.

Oct 27, 2017

If you're bad you'll get the randoms complaining about you or squads voting to kick you out. I'm of the camp that just likes ranked and would say just play that and let it match you with people in your skill range. Then you also don't have to deal with being kicked. But I know some people don't like the seriousness of ranked.

Either way, I love this game and think you can have a lot of fun casually. It's at its best when you dive in though.

CC149er

Dec 31, 2018
I DM'd her and she responded. And I'm not "thirsty" for information regarding Siege, only me and a few others are asking her about information when a lot of people are actually interested so we're doing the community a favor.

She said that Y5 will have a lot of "QoL improvements that the community will love" and that she will have "concrete information" soon for Y4 S4

Her DM:

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I DM'd her and she responded. And I'm not "thirsty" for information regarding Siege, only me and a few others are asking her about information when a lot of people are actually interested so we're doing the community a favor.

She said that Y5 will have a lot of "QoL improvements that the community will love" and that she will have "concrete information" soon for Y4 S4

Her DM:

Oh I guess my post came off a bit agressive lol, my bad

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no patience for newbies on even Casual. If you're the last person standing and don't get into a firefight within 2 seconds, in come the kick votes.