• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I believe ESL considers it an exploit because it's not only an odd, unintended mechanic that requires multiple steps, but because it breaks the game logic. It's not very skill-based or feasible like jump-puzzling (without a deployable shield), which is a mild, unintended mechanic that is allowed in the ESL. It just doesn't make sense that your character can't breach a doorway they physically appear to be perfectly able to but aren't because of the invisible, arbitrary barrier beside the shield. Whereas a character could feasibly skirt on the edge of a building in a jump-puzzle or Bandit could somewhat believably electrify the metal reinforcements in time to destroy breaching charges on the other side of the wall with his titular trick.

The only difference between using Bandit's batteries normally and tricking them is timing. There's a big difference between using a shield as a shield and placing it in a specific way to create a unique, unseen barrier.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make logical sense in the game but makes game sense. Stuff like pixel peeks for example, where the peeker has a ridiculous amount of coverage vs. the attacker. Shield/Castle is the same way. It makes game sense, as your character cannot physical reach the castle barricade to place a breach charge or melee it.

ESL can ban it all they want but it isn't an exploit until Ubisoft patches it. It's such a non-issue and in ranked on consoles, is one of the few things that actually makes Castle worth picking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make logical sense in the game but makes game sense. Stuff like pixel peeks for example, where the peeker has a ridiculous amount of coverage vs. the attacker. Shield/Castle is the same way. It makes game sense, as your character cannot physical reach the castle barricade to place a breach charge or melee it.
What's believable is subjective. Pixel peeks are extraordinary but don't seem utterly outside the bounds of reality to me. It's being shot from an extremely tight angle. Maybe they're highly unlikely and impossible with many calibers in many spots, but they usually make sense in some way, at least. They're also impossible to combat with the nature of the destruction system and they require mentionable skill in many cases. I don't think they should be combatted.

I don't see why a person couldn't reach over the deployable shield roughly below a foot in front of the barricade to place a breaching charge, but they can't. Your character can physically reach that far to do that in other, similar situations, like over a large window seal. And I think the shield glitch might be fixed by increasing the zone a door barricade can be replaced next to a deployable shield.
ESL can ban it all they want but it isn't an exploit until Ubisoft patches it.
Come on, man.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ESL can ban it all they want but it isn't an exploit until Ubisoft patches it. It's such a non-issue and in ranked on consoles, is one of the few things that actually makes Castle worth picking.
This is 100% wrong. By that logic NOTHING IS EVER AN EXPLOIT. Things don't retroactively become exploits after they're fixed, they're exploits from the moment they exist.
The fact that Castle sucks is an entirely different issue, and it doesn't make it 'ok' to exploit things with him.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017

Maybe I shouldn't tell you to feel bad for using it but I am saying you shouldn't be able to do it in the first place
Edit: sorry for dogpilling I'll just leave the last part of my post since the other part was said.

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% wrong. By that logic NOTHING IS EVER AN EXPLOIT. Things don't retroactively become exploits after they're fixed, they're exploits from the moment they exist.
The fact that Castle sucks is an entirely different issue, and it doesn't make it 'ok' to exploit things with him.

I mean... if Ubisoft would give an indication that they're fixing it, you'd have a point. But they haven't. That's what separates it from other "exploits." It's been in the game for so long, it hasn't been fixed. Stuff like Jager glitch? Even before it was fixed, you knew that it would.

That some shitty attacking team doesn't know what a droning phase is doesn't somehow make this an exploit. It's so easy to counteract, that yes, I'm a bit shocked the ESL has banned it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
ESL and Ubisoft do collaborate after all, so I would hope and sort of assume they discuss what is and isn't considered an exploit.
I mean... if Ubisoft would give an indication that they're fixing it, you'd have a point. But they haven't. That's what separates it from other "exploits." It's been in the game for so long, it hasn't been fixed. Stuff like Jager glitch? Even before it was fixed, you knew that it would.
And there are possible reasons besides "they don't think it's an exploit" this could be. First of which could be they simply don't have a favorable solution yet.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
ESL and Ubisoft do collaborate after all, so I would hope and sort of assume they discuss what is and isn't considered an exploit.
And there are possible reasons besides "they don't think it's an exploit" this could be. First of which could be they simply don't have a favorable solution yet.

Alright. Or it's a bug that turned into a feature.

Maybe ESL should revert the rule and not assume that pro teams play at a bronze or copper level. We'll never know I guess, since it doesn't look like Ubisoft is ever going to "fix the exploit."

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Alright. Or it's a bug that turned into a feature.
It also could be something they just don't consider worth the effort fixing, which is perhaps justified only based on the people in this thread who have claimed to have never encountered it after many hours of play. It's an assessment I disagree with in this case, but that's neither here nor there.

Oct 25, 2017
It also could be something they just don't consider worth the effort fixing, which is perhaps justified only based on the people in this thread who have claimed to have never encountered it after many hours of play. It's an assessment I disagree with in this case, but that's neither here nor there.
Or because of how insignificant it is as a hurdle. If you are playing an attacker like Ash, the usage of the castle sheild trick does absolutely nothing to impede your way. The barricade will get destroyed regardless. And Ash is a very common pick.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Or because of how insignificant it is as a hurdle. If you are playing an attacker like Ash, the usage of the castle sheild trick does absolutely nothing to impede your way. The barricade will get destroyed regardless. And Ash is a very common pick.
If it was that insignificant a hurdle I don't think it'd be worth using, discussing, or recommending.

Oct 25, 2017
If it was that insignificant a hurdle I don't think it'd be worth using, discussing, or recommending.

The context of the post is hurdles compared to other stuff, hence the Ash example. Does Ash face a greater hurdle in tackling this compared to just a regular castle barricade? No.

The only things that are effected really are melees and breaching charges.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So I seem to join a casual match with friends with mics and one random. They ask if I have one and I tell them I do but I can't speak English, yet I can follow directions or write it down.

"That doesn't have any fucking sense, dumbass, get the mic and speak English!"

Maybe that report option is meaningless or has little impact, but I still did placed one.

If it bothers you so much, just ignore me? Damn, why people get so worked up in this game.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
9cdt2p46u9a01.jpg

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Im having a problem entering threads from mobile. Anybody else having the same problem?

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Is R6S really that huge in Brazil? I guess it makes sense why the released a Brazil map and hosted one of the events there, but still, I never anticipated it to be so big. Or maybe it's not hat big but they're just highly skilled.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Is R6S really that huge in Brazil? I guess it makes sense why the released a Brazil map and hosted one of the events there, but still, I never anticipated it to be so big. Or maybe it's not hat big but they're just highly skilled.
Many games are huge in South America from what I saw but never hits the spotlight

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I need to stop playing casual.

It's getting to be that time when people start becoming bored and just want to be assholes.

My friends are definitely feeling that as well. It's break time. I've been playing a little CoD just for a different loop. It's very relaxing to use akimbo pistols and just demolish people. We may get overwatch for a team oriented game that's a little more arcadey.

No offense to your avatar but I am also tired of seeing Ela's face hahaha.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Works almost every time.
I927qVM.gif

Lol that happened to me yesterday. I heard a pulse down there and I thought he ran away but he tucked himself in the corner. I couldn't see shit. I was thinking before that this game should add flashlights like Battlefield had. Could be cool even for just aesthetic purposes. That's one area that I wish the game would take more advantage of, light and low-light conditions. They exist but I don't think it really does enough with them.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I think the gif makes it darker than it actually is. Most people don't check at all and just come running down and rappel or jump from the 2nd floor without checking it at all like they did.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if we'll see any quality drop with this new development team being brought on to help with the seasonal content. On the other hand maybe it means the Siege team is moving on to something else (siege 2)?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Rank Teamkillers. They justify it saying: "You're not good" or some bullshit in the same match that they then proceed to lose.

Like are they really that dumb?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone been following the Invitational? While I honestly usually watch Pro League for its educational value rather than my interest in any of the [occasionally oh so questionable] personalities and [gaudy] brands, I'll admit I'm disappointed challenger team Reckless wasn't invited to LAN after defeating pro teams Rogue and Vertical in the qualifiers before losing to eRa. To boot Rogue got invited. Doesn't look like they're getting in through the community vote either.
Personally I find siege to be really boring to watch and the spectator mode stuff just isn't great at showing what's happening. It's always cutting to someone who just got a kill but you don't see it.
Overwatch is much more enjoyable for me to watch. Same with capcom fighting games. I already watch Beaulo and Macie Jay. That's enough siege for me tbh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Personally I find siege to be really boring to watch and the spectator mode stuff just isn't great at showing what's happening. It's always cutting to someone who just got a kill but you don't see it.
Overwatch is much more enjoyable for me to watch. Same with capcom fighting games. I already watch Beaulo and Macie Jay. That's enough siege for me tbh.
I'm not familiar with Beaulo and what I've seen of Macie Jay rubs me the wrong way somehow—maybe unreasonable of me, maybe not. I don't like how the "banter" I've heard in his videos sound so much like how other players I've met act, as if he's too strong an influence on the Siege lexicon. It's beyond dropping the same jokes or memes; it's uncanny. Which makes me truly fear the term "influencer" now that I've really thought about this. I think it's hazardous for too many to learn too much from too few places. Yes, I'm distrustful if not paranoid. Yes, he has a good reputation. This post unsettles me as much as it might unsettle you.

The spectator features could definitely improve, nevertheless I feel that watching PL matches is one best ways to learn how to become a better player. The pro meta can seem a little homogeneous sometimes, but that's why it's interesting when a challenger team like Reckless shows remarkable adaptability. When teams do have strategies they attempt to innovate with—whether they succeed or not—they're often brilliant or show brilliant potential. There are a lot of different brains at work to observe in the PL.

---

I have a more general question for everyone here:

How many mains do you have on each side if you adhere to the principle of having mains? Who are they? In addition, what's your clearance level? It's something I've been thinking about for a while; I'm seriously curious.

Last edited:

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not familiar with Beaulo and what I've seen of Macie Jay rubs me the wrong way somehow—maybe unreasonable of me, maybe not. I don't like how the "banter" I've heard in his videos sound so much like how other players I've met act, as if he's too strong an influence on the Siege lexicon. It's beyond dropping the same jokes or memes; it's uncanny. Which makes me truly fear the term "influencer" now that I've really thought about this. I think it's hazardous for too many to learn too much from too few places. Yes, I'm distrustful if not paranoid. Yes, he has a good reputation. This post unsettles me as much as it might unsettle you.

The spectator features could definitely improve, nevertheless I feel that watching PL matches is one best ways to learn how to become a better player. The pro meta can seem a little homogeneous sometimes, but that's why it's interesting when a challenger team like Reckless shows remarkable adaptability. When teams do have strategies they attempt to innovate with—whether they succeed or not—they're often brilliant or show brilliant potential. There are a lot of different brains at work to observe in the PL.

---

How many mains do you have on each side if you adhere to the principle of having mains? Who are they? In addition, what's your clearance level? It's something I've been thinking about for a while; I'm seriously curious.
You sound like you're high lol. But maybe that's me projecting because I haven't slept for around 24 hours. Macie Jay is honestly the nicest member of the siege community and he's been going through a rough time lately because he's sort if got that "depression" all streamers get where they feel they aren't providing good enough content and they just stop streaming. My heart bleeds for the guy everytime he beats himself up over not getting the perfect play.

I guess I main Twitch, Ash, Buck, (and sometimes:) Sledge, Thatcher and Hibana on attack (if we need a breacher/Thatcher or my other mains are taken).
On defense I play Doc, Bandit, Ela, Doc, Jager (if we need these roles or my other boys are taken)

Oct 26, 2017

Vast majority of my time is on Xbox. Clearance level 240 (958h ranked, 135h casual). Started in Feb 2016 or so. It was right around the Yacht DLC, I think people were waiting for the week to expire on the pass exclusivity but it wasn't a concern of mine as I was just getting started. Played a few games but didn't really stick till a month or two later a little before the Border DLC.

So what could reasonably qualify as my mains:
bq9jowl.png

Jaeger was obviously my main until Ela came out. My group would get mad at me if I played something else. I also play a bit of Lesion these days if Ela is taken, though sometimes I'll just go back to Jaeger. I have a decent number of hours on Rook as well but he's just been a random utility kind of pick throughout my Siege life. If my roaming life is going horribly in a match, or if my main(s) got picked by teammates. Bandit and Frost also get situational play from me. I used to love Frost for basement defense on Hereford but now that we can't have maps that aren't ESL approved it's kind of a moot point.

For the attackers you can see a lot of Ash play at the start... Then I transitioned to playing a lot of Buck. Turns out I wasn't very good at Buck comparatively speaking. I switched to Hibana not long after the Skyscraper DLC. And in more recent times I've been a Jackal main, and playing a lot less (map pool and PUBG being contributing factors). The thing about Jackal is I really didn't start on him in his season. I really started playing him in earnest probably five months after the Coastline DLC. Somewhere in the tail end of Operation Health. I completely missed the era of his gun being super OP. But after a while I just decided that his gadget really helps me play around sloppy teammates who don't clear large chunks of the map. I've become so dependent on his gadget that I haven't been able to successfully play Zofia or Dokkaebi. I just don't feel comfortable moving through the map with the level of droning and callouts we have.

As for attacking operators that fill utility roles, I'd say Glaz. There's a few places I like to run him, especially first attack on Coastline for attacking Penthouse. And who didn't love being Glaz on Plane but hey that's gone too thx Kixstar and friends. I have 23 hours on Blackbeard as well, which kind of puts him in that range but I think that's more of a failed main that I had the sense to ditch far earlier than Buck. Though my Blackbeard numbers are much much better.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that people feel any satisfaction about making other people's lives miserable? Like what the hell is wrong with some people? Last night 2 of my friends and I hopped into ranked for the first time and we get 2 of the absolute most toxic teammates I have ever had the displeasure of playing with. Right at the start one of them says "Btw guys I am throwing this game". We thought nothing of it, maybe the guy just isn't confident. Bomb round starts, he immediately blows open a wall that exposes the room to the outside, giving the attackers fantastic lines of sight on both bombs and all of us. We get destroyed. Next round starts and the other random team kills my friends for "using his camera". 3rd round starts and they blow open a wall to the outside again and when my friends and I start reinforcing it they team kill us. I was fuming. They completely turned us off to the experience and we went back to casual for a few matches before just calling it quits for the night.

I congratulated the enemy team on their win and asked them to report the two morons for toxic behavior and one of them says "What? I told you I was throwing. I'm technically not breaking any rules, I'm just bad at the game".

I hate people.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
They should offer rank down rooms to go nuts and if anything is pulled in a regular game you are banned for a week.

DotA 2 low priority mode was annoying but could work. Could require limited operators to be available and require 2 match wins to get out of it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Interesting! I'm also on Xbox, Pegasus and am CL 187, started during Dust Line, and maintain roughly 6 mains. Three on each side. The four constants are Ash, Montagne, Mute, & Valkyrie, each I've clocked over a hundred hours as. The last two I've rotated in the past from IQ, to Buck, to Frost, to Ela, etc. but recently I think I've finally settled on my true thirds.

The attacker is Dokkaebi. Her loadout isn't the strongest, but as the one typically designated the point man and diffuser carrier I bring smoke grenades to cover myself planting and find the Logic Bomb a useful tool to distract the defenders when doing so. She's the punchier, more lethal alternative to my Monty. Another, less intense reason I play her is that my friends and I like to joke about my adoration of the relatively controversial Watch Dogs series, and my unironic adoption of Aiden Pearce's Iconic Cap on my Ash and on my real person, so of course I have to play the character that actually hacks.

I turned friends onto the game during Skull Rain, and as I had the most experience and map knowledge at the time (which was paltry compared to now), I fell into the role of hatch-getter and roamer. We've all gotten better since then and I've been able to diversify my roles. Still, I play the most among those friends and the roam game often falls to me. So I picked up Ela and found the kind of success you do with Ela and if I like Watch Dogs I think you might expect I like colored hair and her baseball cap too (which I do), but I think she became a bit of a crutch for me. I noticed myself not doing as well with other characters after I'd been on her for a while. Consequently, I'm renouncing her for now even if it puts us at a disadvantage. Somebody else can play her. In her place I've found or rather—rediscovered a penchant for anchoring as Smoke. I fucking love interior decorating with the M590A1. It's liberating to design the bomb site exactly how I'd like. My winrate with Smoke started lower than the others since I only started playing him again short while ago and haven't since I was noobier, but it's already exceeded some of them, namely Buck who I also toyed with for an extended time recently.
You sound like you're high lol. But maybe that's me projecting because I haven't slept for around 24 hours. Macie Jay is honestly the nicest member of the siege community and he's been going through a rough time lately because he's sort if got that "depression" all streamers get where they feel they aren't providing good enough content and they just stop streaming. My heart bleeds for the guy everytime he beats himself up over not getting the perfect play.
I wrote that after midnight on about four hours of [poor] sleep from the previous day, so yeah. I was trying to say that basically I distrust the most popular Siege content creator because I'm an asshole. It's probably unfair of me but also not that crazy I think, considering the times.

Last edited: