• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds hella fun. Give me some more R6 loot, Twitch. Hmm, they're not doing Pick and Ban. I wonder how they choose the maps.

Nov 18, 2017

I'm sensing sarcasm. Are you always this obnoxious to people who make valid criticisms of the game? Why are you continually spamming the thread with reddit links?

Fun fact: One of my reddit accounts got banned by the r6 mods because I told an alt-right racist if they said what they posted in public they'd get their ass beaten. I was banned for "bigotry". The community is toxic from the top down.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to disagree with the positivity on the reddit community and elsewhere regards the Road to Six Invitational Playlist and Challenges.

1. Pick and Ban
Pick and Ban only exists as a contingency because operators are unbalanced or broken.
We shouldn't need to create new meta options by, for instance, banning hard-breachers, shields or roamers. That's not what the game is about.
The Pick and Ban phase causes a minute delay getting into the actual game. I hate it and I don't want it, I want balanced operators and if there are issues, more game mode options, for example, a mode with just the launch operators.

2. Challenges
Games like COD and Fortnite reward players with a steady stream of easy-to-obtain unlocks. Ubi are offering a free loot pack out of a set of 20+ for anyone who completes timed weekend challenges. The first one is to destroy 30x attacker drones as a defender. So you can only grind towards this goal 50% of the time, and you're competing with your fellow defenders for a max of 10 drones per round. The new playlist is structured so you play 3x attack rounds, then 3x defense rounds (or vice versa). I prefer the old alternating structure. But anyways, this means that if you're on Attack you don't get to work towards the challenge for 3x rounds, or 10-15 minutes. In an hour, I played a grand total of 3 defense rounds and snagged 5x drone kills. So, to earn enough for a loot pack I'd need to play for 6 hours. Now I might luck out and start on defense first some matches, but... this is not scratching my brain's reward centre in the same way COD and Fortnite are, it's basically telling me I don't play enough Siege for Ubisoft to consider giving me a pack. It's stingy and manipulative.

3. Loot Packs are back.
Enough with these packs Ubi. Enough.

4. Bugs & Y4
There are some major bugs in the game right now and engagement from the devs about the game's future is at a bare minimum They seem pretty complacent about the direction of content updates and the MTX model.

As someone who played the game since day one, this mode embodies everything I hate about the direction of a game I'm playing less and less, because they're now clearly targetting a different demographic of players. I haven't bought the Y4 pass, and probably just need to accept this game has changed and found a bigger audience, but it's ran out of steam for me.
If this were true you wouldn't have different banning tendencies in different league. NA leagues for instance ban different operators compared to EU leagues at the same level even on the same map. Simply due to different metas. The whole point of Siege is characters are balanced out by making them powerful in a specific areas, attackers always have the better weapons but the defenders have the safety of being able to freely

Why does having loot packs for cosmetic matter to you that it's "Enough !" How the eff do you think they will support the game if it wasn't for cosmetic mtx? This isn't even a constant thing. Last time we had paid only loot packs was almost a year ago ! This mtx model IS good for achieving a balance for the players and the game, if it wasn't good the game would have died instead of actually getting MORE player. The bugs get fixed, again this isn't a new game...if the devs didn't fix shit and didn't listen to the community the game would not be in its 4th year.

With that said there are actual problems with the game, which you didn't mention. One of which is that the game relies on aim skill now far more than strats. If two teams of the same level (but different strengths and weaknesses) compete against each other where one of them is better at aiming and the other one better at strats the one with better aim will almost always win. That proves that in this game aim paramounts tactics today and that's not very good. It should be atleast even but due to the way some things work like crouch and lean spam, mixed with peeking spam it becomes quite ridiculous especially on PC.

Nov 18, 2017
If this were true you wouldn't have different banning tendencies in different league. NA leagues for instance ban different operators compared to EU leagues at the same level even on the same map. Simply due to different metas. The whole point of Siege is characters are balanced out by making them powerful in a specific areas, attackers always have the better weapons but the defenders have the safety of being able to freely

With that said there are actual problems with the game, which you didn't mention. One of which is that the game relies on aim skill now far more than strats. If two teams of the same level (but different strengths and weaknesses) compete against each other where one of them is better at aiming and the other one better at strats the one with better aim will almost always win. That proves that in this game aim paramounts tactics today and that's not very good. It should be atleast even but due to the way some things work like crouch and lean spam, mixed with peeking spam it becomes quite ridiculous especially on PC.

I take on board your comments about mtx, I just think they're being stingy, but I could live with it if there weren't other problems. They're getting money from season passes and paid cosmetics. They don't NEED loot boxes as well. Other games provide content updates without timed blind boxes. It's exploitative, but if you think "the devs need more money" explains it, then that's fine. I think it's gullible, but I'm a cynic.

The rise of aim superiority vs strats is a symptom of the developer ethos I'm complaining about. Pushing everything towards e sports and pro league and balancing everything to perform for those players. When the game launched there was no pro league. The game was like crack because it was COD Search and Destroy but with a sandbox approach to gadgets and destruction. Since Velvet Shell, there hasn't been a truly exciting new gameplay mechanic (Mira) to advance the sandbox element, and that's inevitable. Maverick and Maestro are disruptive in theory, but in reality weren't exciting. This engine and mechanics have been pushed to the limit.

I'm not saying the game is hot trash now or anything. But the accumulation of new additions are detracting from the original experience. Pick and Ban is an inconvenience, for example. Slapping "Just like Pro League!" all over it doesn't make it any more appealing. It'll be interesting to see what they have planned for Y4 to shake the game up outside of Pick and Ban.

Personally, what I really want is a sequel which develops the sandbox destruction, geometric damage, gravity damage, dynamic lighting, water, fire, electricity. Dial back all the operators and start from scratch in a new engine.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should note that half of the international loot pack money is going to the actual players as prize money.

Not unlike every other game with a thriving esports scene.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Little tidbit from a Schreier article earlier today:

...in the past, according to two people familiar with the publisher, Ubisoft has greenlit and then cancelled a Rainbow Six spin-off in which you'd fight zombies and/or aliens. So this won't be the first time the company has used Rainbow Six's game engine for science fiction...

Guess Outbreak as an experiment is thoroughly dead and buried?

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I should note that half of the international loot pack money is going to the actual players as prize money.

Not unlike every other game with a thriving esports scene.
Came to say this. They're doing just like what 343 did with Halo 5. All packs money goes to the big tournament prize pool

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
"30 percent of the net revenue" up to 2mil is going to the prize pool. Not half or all. And they had paid packs for Halloween, not a year ago. Ubi is making so much money from this game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"30 percent of the net revenue" up to 2mil is going to the prize pool. Not half or all. And they had paid packs for Halloween, not a year ago. Ubi is making so much money from this game.
The "Up to 2 mil" Is irrelevant - the amount OVER 2 mil is still going to the pro league, they're just trying to make it so that it's not feast or famine where only one tourney has all this support. Yes, 30% is not 50 or 100%, I know I pulled 50% out of my ass earlier because I couldn't be assed to look it up, my bad, but the point remains.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
The "Up to 2 mil" Is irrelevant - the amount OVER 2 mil is still going to the pro league, they're just trying to make it so that it's not feast or famine where only one tourney has all this support. Yes, 30% is not 50 or 100%, I know I pulled 50% out of my ass earlier because I couldn't be assed to look it up, my bad, but the point remains.
I actually read it as the extra money goes to ANY Ubisoft competitive game, not specifically earmarked for Siege. Not sure what that would be, maybe For Honor is bigger than I think.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
The thing about this cam is it doesn't show you the bottom of the stairs or the plant spot behind the laundry. I mean it could work but you don't have the information to use the C4 or gas canister then from supply. Granted this information is for bomb but still.
Yeah it's useless

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't been one to care much about the packs until recently when I had some disposable income,
How many times have they had exclusive sets of cosmetics like the current set?
Really like the completely new uniforms and headgears that aren't over the top Elite skins.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza

ezgif-1-b0c9add9419b.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/aln9hk/nice_valk_cam_spot_on_chalet_for_defending_garage/

Last edited:

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm going to go hard into this season on PS4. Haven't played the game mainly in a bit. Only a few games here and there.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I got two of my picks on the dot. Dokka and Doc's uniform. I just want Thatcher head and the universal skin.

Fedoteh

Jan 1, 2019
Why is this guy posting all the reddit links? If we wanted to see reddit content I would go there...

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really hate the way they do these cosmetics behind packs that are only available with real money. I get that they want to make money and that it's a business, but I'm not spending $60 per event for some cosmetics. There are several operators that have no skins that I like/want available via renown and it's like a one-two punch to have new skins that I actually like and would love to buy with renown, but locked behind a paywall.

Between that and some other bullshit that I don't like with this game, I'm not spending money on it ever again... unless they actually make some good changes. But when a game is turned into a money-printing machine, that's when I stop.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really hate the way they do these cosmetics behind packs that are only available with real money. I get that they want to make money and that it's a business, but I'm not spending $60 per event for some cosmetics. There are several operators that have no skins that I like/want available via renown and it's like a one-two punch to have new skins that I actually like and would love to buy with renown, but locked behind a paywall.

Between that and some other bullshit that I don't like with this game, I'm not spending money on it ever again... unless they actually make some good changes. But when a game is turned into a money-printing machine, that's when I stop.

Yeah I really hate that they've gone this way. Especially being one of the early defenders of Siege and it's monetization back when it released and there was a bunch of FUD being spread about it.

Now they do these blind box events where people just have to gamble money away to get what they want. It's so frustrating, if they'd just put the stuff up for sale like normal I'd have no issue with it and would buy a few of the new uniforms for sure. But there's no way in hell I'm buying a bunch of loot boxes for the chance at getting them.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda fine with it when they do it once a year for a special event. What I'm not fine with is:
1) It's a blind box, I just wanna spend money on costumes and not gun skins/charms
2) That the costumes that you can buy with ingame money are usually just palette swaps whereas these costumes are actual clothing changes. We need more proper costumes that we can buy for renown.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I am kinda fine with it when they do it once a year for a special event. What I'm not fine with is:
1) It's a blind box, I just wanna spend money on costumes and not gun skins/charms
2) That the costumes that you can buy with ingame money are usually just palette swaps whereas these costumes are actual clothing changes. We need more proper costumes that we can buy for renown.

Yeah, I agree. Some of my favorite ops only have a couple of uniforms/headgear and they're mostly palette swaps that I don't even want. Yet, occasionally, I see skins that I would love to have. I get that some of them are past events and that's fine, but at least have some options for people who haven't played consistently for all three/four years and available for renown. I have 200K renown and there's very little I have to spend it on.