• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It happens all the time in TV series, comics, anime and so on: a likeable character is suddenly and mercilessly killed off, someone's dark past comes back to haunt them, a hero turns into a villain or vice-versa, etc.

But what I want to focus on is the shocking moments with no build-up whatsoever. I'm talking the completely random, out of left field moments that completely take you surprise like a speeding car on the street.

Case in point, 7th Heaven:

https://youtu.be/UOYo-ogfCEw

There's also this moment from ER, which I know many are going to instantly recall with one single word: "Helicopter"

https://youtu.be/vh-kw3DOIgk

There's also a scene from Coach (the TV series) involving a comical wedding accident, but I can't find a clip online. In any case, you get the picture.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And I know that some people are going to mention "that scene" from Madoka Magica.

But technically there was some build-up, it's just that most folks didn't expect that it would go in that direction. But there were hints here and there.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reboot season 3, episode 4, "Game Over"

This show was fairly episodic till around the end of season 2 where it completely changed the status quo by "killing off" the main character.

Come season 3, the plucky kid sidekick suddenly has resposability in protecting his home. And for a couple of episodes you think, hey, maybe this kid can make it.

Then episode 4 comes along, and it appears to be just another episode, with a damn Mortal Kombat parody. Except no, it doesnt end the way you think a kids show will end.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Fritz Lang's The Big Heat:

...where Glenn Ford's wife is killed by a car bomb meant for him:

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The elevator scene in The Departed

While shocking, I wouldn't say it really counts; it's in the middle of a violent confrontation with guns out, it's the equivalent of someone getting shot in the head in a battlefield after thinking all the enemies are gone. It's still wtihin reason.

Examples like the One Tree Hill bit are what I'm talking about. Just completely out of nowhere, both in scene and tone.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Still the greatest plot twist in anime history.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, came for The Departed, but not sure it fits perfectly...

The entire film foreshadows this tragedy, and it is in a moment of tension, not that it made it any less impactful the first time I saw it and it definitely surprised me.

What an ending, regardless.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The suicide in Hanake's Cache. One of the most unexpected and shocking moments I've seen in film/TV.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heh I was talking about this the other day.
220px-AI_Poster.jpg

If you've seen A.I., you know exactly what I'm referring to.

Sudden 2000-year jump into the future.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
While shocking, I wouldn't say it really counts; it's in the middle of a violent confrontation with guns out, it's the equivalent of someone getting shot in the head in a battlefield after thinking all the enemies are gone. It's still wtihin reason.

Examples like the One Tree Hill bit are what I'm talking about. Just completely out of nowhere, both in scene and tone.

Fair enough, and I think Psycho had a lot of buildup for what happened, even though it was still shocking to kill off a main character like that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Psycho was shocking back in the day (and still would be for those not exposed to its references). Sure there was some build up but it was very unexpected.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Movie "Funny Games" (2007) (original too). SPOILER if you read on:

That movies where a family is hold hostage by to psycho guys. Then there is a scene where it seems like victims manage to kill one guy. Well, the main bady doesn't like that but he luckily rested at a bonfire shortly before...
That was like .... truly WTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbrXIgU55A

Last edited:

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yeah, this is legit one of my favorite twists. My eyes literally opened as I got hyped with a what the fuuuuck?! :o

giphy.gif

that had a ton of build up tho, we just couldn't see it until after it happened :'(

giphy.gif
I never read any GOT book and did not know about any spoilers, so the red wedding was a WTF moment i will never forget. Our jaws (me and my wife) were on the floor.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thunderbolts-1-1997.jpg

Marvel spent MONTHS building this team up in articles and interviews as the next big superhero team before their debut. Still the best reveal in comic history.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The end of The Golden Compass/Northern Lights.

The main character's father tortures and murders her best friend by splitting his soul in half in order to open a portal to another world to kill God.

Needless to say, it was cut from the Christmas season movie.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never read any GOT book and did not know about any spoilers, so the red wedding was a WTF moment i will never forget. Our jaws (me and my wife) were on the floor.
Same here.. My sister at the time didn't start it since she was 16 (I made a deal we would start watching on her 17th birthday. I remember like a minute after the episode was over, she opened the door asking some random question and I yelled like a crazy person "GET THE FUCK OUT!!". I told her about it a year later and we laughed at my meltdown. I remember when she watched it she just sat for like 15 minutes XD
He was the villain so it was pretty funny.

I'll admit i watched the first few years of that show, was my now wife's idea, I swear.
I figured lmaooo The other guy's reaction like hinted as such. And don't worry about your wife's idea, I watch rom com tv shows and movies on the regular. Just finished watching Lovesick, in case your wife forces you to watch something else.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles had a moment like this in the run up to the final episode.

Derek Reese, brother to Kyle Reese, is, without any fanfare or buildup, shot in the head and killed during an action scene. It's a very blink and you miss it moment, if I recall correctly. At least until the other characters realize he's dead.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wheel of Time Book 5, The Shadow Rising, Final Chapters.
Lanfear outta fucking nowhere, the damage she did that was the start of the end for Rand's sanity.
There are a couple more too before that, Robert Jordan rarely jumps you, but when he does its with a 4 ton truck in the middle of Route 66.