• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
In Mockingjay,
a key character suddenly enters the scene after not being around for most of the book, only to be instantly killed off for no reason. It's super abrupt, but I think it fell completely flat in terms of storytelling value because it just read like a super cheap shot done purely for shock value.

The book just goes *character enters scene* "oh, it's that person" *STUFF COMES IN OUT OF NOWHERE AND KILLS THE PERSON HORRIBLY FOR NO APPARENT REASON*

Man, fuck that book. It was such fucking garbage.

And I know that some people are going to mention "that scene" from Madoka Magica.

But technically there was some build-up, it's just that most folks didn't expect that it would go in that direction. But there were hints here and there.
I was caught off guard by that moment, but later on someone pointed out all the hints that I missed.

I didn't know how to read Japanese death flags at the time.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Mockingjay,
a key character suddenly enters the scene after not being around for most of the book, only to be instantly killed off for no reason. It's super abrupt, but I think it fell completely flat in terms of storytelling value because it just read like a super cheap shot done purely for shock value.

The book just goes *character enters scene* "oh, it's that person" *STUFF COMES IN OUT OF NOWHERE AND KILLS THE PERSON HORRIBLY FOR NO APPARENT REASON*

I was caught off guard by that moment, but later on someone pointed out all the hints that I missed.

In fairness it wasn't just you. It caught the large majority of Japan by complete surprise, to the point that parents sent angry letters for their traumatized kids.

Again, that was the brilliance of that series: the signs were all there, it was just framed over an intentionally saccharine tone at the beginning.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles had a moment like this in the run up to the final episode.

Derek Reese, brother to Kyle Reese, is, without any fanfare or buildup, shot in the head and killed during an action scene. It's a very blink and you miss it moment, if I recall correctly. At least until the other characters realize he's dead.

"Unexpected" is right, especially considering that ...
... the show been running on a formula. Start episode, lead up to an early action sequence, plot plot plot, ending action sequence, coda. Derek Reese dies in EARLY action sequence. It wasn't like he died, and the other characters cried, and then the episode ended. Major characters aren't supposed to die during a random action sequence in the early half of an episode!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
No "Deep Blue Sea" mention?

And there was also the elevator in LA Law back in the day, which I only know about thanks to Mad Men.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I was to young a the time to know if it was public knowledge she was leaving the series, but:

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I always think of a little part in a barn(?) towards the beginning of Great Expectations where the main character just out of nowhere sees a
body hanging from a beam.
It was my first time reading a Dickens book, but I've realized he does this sort of thing a lot.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Given it's a key premise of the show, if you'd paid attention to the promotional media you'd know it was coming, but viewing the actual programme in isolation, then the event that starts the main narrative in the UK Life On Mars comes out of nowhere.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25jzoq?start=343

Spooks (MI5 in the US) has to be an example; after a while people got used to the stakes involved in the show, but right at the start of proceedings...

a character fully promoted as being a major part of the series is brutally murdered in the second episode.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
In Mockingjay,

Agreed 100% on Mockingjay. I had to re-read that section a few times because it was so poorly done that I couldn't believe it.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
The end of The Golden Compass/Northern Lights.

The main character's father tortures and murders her best friend by splitting his soul in half in order to open a portal to another world to kill God.

Needless to say, it was cut from the Christmas season movie.

What the hell. Didn't know that kind of stuff was going down in those books.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Loki straught up killing him like that kind of was shocking with how light hearted the movie was until then.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The end of The Legend of Korra.
At the end of the last episode Korra suddenly hooks up with the character Asami, and then they both leave for a spirit world vacation. I don't have a problem with it but it just came out of nowhere.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter x Hunter had quite a few of these but I'll high light some of the biggest, spoilers obviously.

Netero's second trump card after Zero Hand failed him in his battle with the Chimera Ant King. Things appeared finally over after one of the most epic fights in all of shonen anime when Netero goes full on demonic and shows the King that he should have never underestimated humanity. The resolution is a deus ex machina that comes out of seemingly nowhere after you think the battle is finally decided and totally makes sense but is not something you were expecting at all. It also proves further cements Netero as the baddest old man in all of anime.

5259090-6454098374-tumbl.gif

Then only a few episodes we have the culmination of a confrontation that we'd been waiting to come to a head for like 40 episodes between Gon and Pitou. We knew it was going to be crazy but I don't think anyone expected we would get something that would rival going Super Saiyan for the first time but feeling absolutely terrible about it. Instead of a hot blooded epic battle, we get a broken kid given into his rage and depression.

afc56390ad58d0d7c00127d98b29babf68cf5ef2_hq.gif

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you'd assume this since it goes pretty against his character in the OT

He was already off being a hermit, we knew that from the TFA.

We also had two prior examples of Jedi hermits that don't get in on the main action.

The only surprise was that he didn't want to train Rey at first. But he did anyway.

TLJ subverted some of my expectations, but I thought Luke *not* being an active combatant was telegraphed.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
He was already off being a hermit, we knew that from the TFA.

We also had two prior examples of Jedi hermits that don't get in on the main action.

The only surprise was that he didn't want to train Rey at first. But he did anyway.

TLJ subverted some of my expectations, but I thought Luke *not* being an active combatant was telegraphed.
Eh, I guess I disagree. TFA made it seem more like Luke was on a quest to find something, not just sitting around waiting for father time to take him out

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Doki Doki Literature Club

I'm probably one of the only people who didn't know about this before playing.

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The death of Tanis Half-Elven in Dragonlance. Completely out of nowhere, stupid and maddening.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hunter x Hunter had quite a few of these but I'll high light some of the biggest, spoilers obviously.

Then only a few episodes we have the culmination of a confrontation that we'd been waiting to come to a head for like 40 episodes between Gon and Pitou. We knew it was going to be crazy but I don't think anyone expected we would get something that would rival going Super Saiyan for the first time but feeling absolutely terrible about it. Instead of a hot blooded epic battle, we get a broken kid given into his rage and depression.

afc56390ad58d0d7c00127d98b29babf68cf5ef2_hq.gif

I totally agree, thats what makes it so great.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I guess I disagree. TFA made it seem more like Luke was on a quest to find something, not just sitting around waiting for father time to take him out

You disagree that the movie matched my expectation wrt Luke's role? Cool.

He was just sitting on a island doing nothing at the end of TFA. That set my expectation. I'm not saying it was the only way to take it, but it's how I took it, especially since it matched Ben and Yoda's arcs.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
At the end of the last episode Korra suddenly hooks up with the character Asami, and then they both leave for a spirit world vacation. I don't have a problem with it but it just came out of nowhere.

I remember occasionally lurking the Korra OT on NeoGAF and people were calling it for months. There were small hints like Korra and Asami writing letters to each other in secret and ignoring the lead boys etc.

Oct 29, 2017
The actor Kenneth Choi had two characters with some hilarious out of nowhere accidents recently.
tries to fly a plane after practicing for an entire season and then crashes and dies virtually off screen

car accident ends with a rebar thru his skull, and he is one of the main characters and first responders, not a "victim of the week"

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Jiro Yamada ( Gai Daigoji) in Nadesico.

Basically the prototype for Kamina's death, but ultimately far crueler (Kamina at least died fighting the enemy in a mech battle instead of casually getting shot by a mutineer). Subverted still by the fact that Nadesico took almost nothing seriously for very long, and while Kamina's death had a huge emotional impact, nobody but Akito gave a damn that Gai had died.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Joss Whedon is pretty well known for the surprise unexpected death. In addition to The Avengers which most of us know, he did it three times on Buffy
with Tara, Joyce (this one in particular was the legendary blindside) and Anya
, and in Dollhouse
with Paul

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The Walking Dead has a lot of sudden character death scenes, but this is the only one that still sticks out in my mind:

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Samurai flamenco is all about this, you don't know where its going next but it will be one hell of a ride.

KMLBV5X.png

Holy crap this.

There's even a point where, after several episodes of unexpected bullshit, there's one more random bullshit moment that has every single main character going "EHHHHHHHH!?" at once.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
There are some good ones but a recent one for me would be: *JoJo part 3 spoilers

When Avdol is killed. You just see him get absorbed then his hands just fall to the ground. I couldn't believe it. I mean, the guy just came back from the dead in a sense and bites it.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
In the Karate Kid, when Ralph Macchio learns that all the work he's been doing for Mr. Miyagi has been training to help him with defense. That blew my mind

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Nah, it was there in the letters they wrote to each other and the way they interacted more and more after Mako managed to ruin his relationships with both of them. They had a full sequence of them reading each others letters and telling each other how much the other means to them and how they missed each other.

It was there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ

Luke Skywalker is also a good one, mainly because everything just before his death seemed to suggest he was fine.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT.. this is real? WOW....... Trying not to laugh my ass off out loud at work. What the FUCK? I can't imagine for long time viewers how they felt.
The character whose heart gets eaten is an asshole who murdered his brother, so when the dog ate his heart i was letting out huge schadenfreude filled belly laughs.

Shabutaro

Oct 27, 2017
In Mockingjay,

Wait, which character in Mockingjay?