• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this a good idea

• Yes

Votes: 62 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2019
I've seen a lot of people just toss their receipt at fast food places, grocery stores etc. Sometimes right into the trash can, and other times even on the ground. Wouldn't it make more sense to opt-in?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes, especially because sometimes they'll ask if you want it AFTER it has already been printed. Happens all the time at 7-11 to me.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
God, yes. There are only two situations where I needed to keep the receipt: filling up the company van and preemptively buying a TPMS whenever my car has a flat.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of places do ask, and give options too (paper, email, no receipt).

Oct 30, 2017
completely agree, especially in japan where for some reason the entire country collectively decided that they should hand you coin change in a little pile on top of the receipt, thus making it a huge pain to actually put it back into your wallet. massive waste of time and paper.

Jan 3, 2018
Definitely for grocery store receipts, which are almost totally useless and I would rather not have to tell the cashier to throw it out. It's the worst when they ask "Receipt with you or in the bag?" Like why are those my only 2 options??

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
You usually don't know you're gonna need it until long after you've had to ask for it so only opting into receipts would cause more problems than it solves. I agree though that it is an annoying concept 99% of the time though, right up until you need it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
They just decided on a law here, that even bakeries and small businesses are required to always handout. If you dont want it, they are responsible to throw it away.

it is horrible for the environment.

digital receipts could be a solution.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts are an important anti-fraud control. That's why lots of places give you a free meal if you don't get a receipt. Otherwise, it's easy for employees to steal.

what I think they should do is have credit cards associated with a proxy email address so every merchant can send you the receipt via email without having to give them the email

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I pay everything contactless or card at worst of it's over the limit. So I'm thinking I should get a receipt emailed to me at an address of my choosing automatically.

These emails should be via a gateway as well so the stores are not getting my email address.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I want all receipts to almost automatically pile into an online database in an itemised fashion so I can see exactly what I've spent every cent on.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I think stores should be obligated to give receipts. I know most people don't actually balance their checkbook these days, but I don't like the idea of basically doing away with that accountability. If you don't have a receipt it would be very hard to check that charges to your accounts match what you think you've spent.

That said, emailed receipts should definitely be the default. I think Best Buy is the only retailer I regularly shop at that offers them.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is standard in a lot of places (asking), but others give you a receipt for an order number.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
In Sweden they always ask, but very often (almost always) they print the receipt before asking.

It is a sort of custom to say "you can throw away the receipt". It's bizarre.

Yes, I think we should handle this in a way that is better for the environment. I wish an e-mailed receipt was an option in more places. But then I guess your e-mail would have to be connected to your credit card or something?

Some places, for example libraries where you have already given a e-mail adress when becoming a member, they have the option of doing it per e-mail.

what I think they should do is have credit cards associated with a proxy email address so every merchant can send you the receipt via email without having to give them the email

Like so!

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This is quickly becoming the norm in the Netherlands, where the cashier has to manually input whether the customer wants a receipt or not. At least in grocery stores and the like. Some other places, for bigger purchases, opt to email rather than provide physical receipts or bills.

It's better, yes.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Italy here: no receipts per se is a non-option:
-it would allow merchants to not print transactions at all which leads to fiscal fraud
-in some instances the police can (although it never happened to me personally) demand for your receipt if you exit a restaurant/pub or a shop where you have purchased from (to combat fiscal fraud).

What I personally would like is shorter receipts (specifically from grocery stores) or to have them in a digital format on a standardized app (as an opt-in as the elderly typically do not have smartphones) or via email.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Well, this has already improved from how it used to be. Every store would hand you a receipt, always. But now, most places ask and you can decline. I don't think receipts should be opt-in, in that you have to ask for one or you don't get it. But, I do think that as we more more in the direction of mobile payments on our phones, that places should just give digital receipts when possible.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
completely agree, especially in japan where for some reason the entire country collectively decided that they should hand you coin change in a little pile on top of the receipt, thus making it a huge pain to actually put it back into your wallet. massive waste of time and paper.

Yeah, I hate that. There I am at the counter, acutely aware that the next person in line is waiting on me to move while I struggle to separate coins from notes, put the coins into my jeans pocket, separate the notes from the receipt, put the former into my wallet and stuff the latter in say, a jacket pocket.

Thank fuck I don't carry cash anymore and don't have to bother with that nonsense.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, this has already improved from how it used to be. Every store would hand you a receipt, always. But now, most places ask and you can decline. I don't think receipts should be opt-in, in that you have to ask for one or you don't get it. But, I do think that as we more more in the direction of mobile payments on our phones, that places should just give digital receipts when possible.
I dont want to give any business my info unless absolutely necessary.