• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59

End of the day, EGS can (not sure about will though) be a good thing, as long as the system improves and gets features that are common place in steam, or even new features that steam does not have.

I'm not against buying from multiple storefronts

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
"Bla bla bla bla bla, i was given money, cheers ! "

In short.

I still don't see how a clearly and deeply inferior store who "steal" games from other "better" stores is better for me as a consumer. Would Epic be somewhat on par with Steam with the functionnalities and the security when they started to buy the exclusivities, i might have agreed. But right now ? That's a definite no.

As of now, it's only positive for the publlishers and, maybe, the developers (and EPIC, obviously). That's cool for them i suppose. But i'm not them.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yall really tripping about EGS, it's not a big deal, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
"Blah blah blah competition is good because competition is good blah blah blah the future has infinite possibilities blah blah blah something about space"

He sounds like those people who hate Valve just because they're a monopoly, without looking at the actual customer impact.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He better hope Epic comes through delivering on what he thinks they can deliver on because this is the biggest example of planting your flag I can think of.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens with EGS and will most likely grab Borderlands 3 on it. But I do think at some point they should stop talking until they've gained a little more momentum to brag about.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he say he didn't really have a dog in the fight or that he had no control over the release? Dude caping real hard for egs now.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell who here actually read the thing or atleast read the quotes in OP, who only read the loaded "tldr", and who didn't read at all.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Randy for being so slimy and the despicable grifter he is.

Randy Pitchford is the Zack Snyder of gaming personalities.

Dude is straight up Hot Topic mall trash.

0ed.jpg

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People thinking I'm Randy Pitchford might be the worst part of my life thus far.

At least i can try and make a Lil B track out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't like EGS but still wouldn't think twice before buying a game I'm really looking forward to if it's EGS exclusive, it still feels so weird to have this kind of defense for it.

I didn't need walls of text to convince me to buy on Origin, Uplay, Steam, Nuuvem, GMG or other key sellers. They just offered me prices and services, and I said "sure, why not". It's so off-putting to have this much rationalization around it.

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that you need a lot more words to convince someone that something that is worse is actually better. Uplay's much better preloading means I'll always prefer to get a Ubisoft game on Uplay if I'm really looking forward to it and want to play it as soon as possible. No need for anyone to tell me just how much better Uplay is for the industry.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Randy really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut online, everything he says just makes me less excited for anything he's working on. Most of his points are marketing without substance so them being labelled "thoughtful" is somewhat funny.

Yall really tripping about EGS, it's not a big deal, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Really? ......Really? We're still doing this however many months later?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Randy gonna Randy, he uses a lot exaggeration but he makes some good underlying points.

EGS is here to stay one way or another.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

For me as much as I like the idea of ACTUAL competition with Steam, and I get "why" they're doing the buyout bullshit, they still have significant gains to make with their loader/storefront/etc before I consider choosing them over Steam as my primary. And I say that as someone using Unreal to make my game lol.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I can see that this thread was made not in a good faith, Randy made some interesting points that people should actually read into.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I can see that this thread was made not in a good faith, Randy made some interesting points that people should actually read into.

The fact you think randy made his twitter storm in good faith and not the OP is crazy.

The OP doesn't like EGS but he isn't hiding that fact unlike randy whom openly lies to your face over and over.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I look forward to the right wing forum posters lecture us all how crony capitalism of Epic buying out exclusivity in backroom deals with Publishers will trickle down to savings for us consumers. Please tell us the virtues of ruthless corporations. We consumers are just too dumb to see it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope EGS or someone make drivers for Windows Steam Controller, or something like the steam controller (right touch pad, gyro, haptics). I thank Valve for making the thing, but it being tied to Steam, and the way random phantom buttons start activating out of nowhere, and other issues with it (causing me to flip through Beta or Not to see if things fix itself) makes me want another company to take a shot at it. Also ditch the overlay configuration if you do. On PC there seem to be a limited amount of overlays that can run at the same time.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I read it.

Randy is completely and totally biased, saying that Epic should be trusted because of "good will over the past 20 years with its engine business" and that the EGS is a "GIFT" is devs and customers.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing of this feels new.
Nothing of this tries to acknowledge that we as customers are put in a position with less choice, and are expected to accept that because of what might become of the situation.
Nothing of this acknowledges how poorly both Epic and publishers/devs have communicated these moves.
Very little of that acknowledges the good things Valve have done with Steam, a platform where Randy's products have sold in millions of copies.
And not much of it explains exactly what it is he feels that Valve needs to improve.

But it is interesting to see and read these explanations, or whatever you're supposed to call them, that only looks to a utopian future, without looking that much at what has been and what is right now.

Oct 26, 2017
And so we're going to swallow the Epic Game Store pill with Borderlands 3. And some of you guys are going to hate it and scream bloody murder and you'll even blame me, personally, for it. And you can bitch and moan and brigade and stalk my shit, but at the end of the day when we look back at this moment we'll realize that this was the moment where the digital stores on PC became unmonopolized. And we're all going to look back and see how change happened and how costs for developers and publishers to be on stores went down and how that value was passed on to the customers.

Not to mention that after that, world hunger was solved, global warming was eradicated and world peace was finally achieved.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I guess this is one way to show how jaded the OP are.

I was paraphrasing Pitchford, I am not "jaded" I just dislike anti-consumer practices and having Pitchford rant about how bad Valve is and claiming that it will be dead and then saying how good EGS is for consumers and how it's a "gift" shows how bias he is.

How am I "jaded" for not shilling for EGS and caring about consumers? We are consumers are we not? Should we not put ourselves first in this situation? After all, without consumers videogames do not exist.

If anything, Pitchford is jaded and is behaving like a child throwing a temper tantrum, one look at his Twitter feed confirms that.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
That's not an explanation. It's a rambling mess of egotistical partisan hackery. There aren't any points worth thinking through, no analysis based on data. Everything he wrote is propagandistic rhetoric to paintbrush a business decision. It's a wholesale fantasy woven from baseless suppositions and assertions.

Epic has spent the last decade building an engine (no pun intended) that allows them to grow and deploy technology at an ever increasing pace. That they have decided to invest SIGNIFICANT amounts of the money they have made from Fortnite into the creation of a store to create a real competitive landscape is, frankly, a GIFT to customers and developers and publishers. ALL OF US WILL BENEFIT from this competition.

This reads like low quality message board drivel, complete WITH CAPITALIZED WORDS.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The fact you think randy made his twitter storm in good faith and not the OP is crazy.

The OP doesn't like EGS but he isn't hiding that fact unlike randy whom openly lies to your face over and over.
I take Randy's words seriously since he has more business experience than people who like to spread lies about how the egs is a spyware and that steam is not a monopoly.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does Randy Pitchford speak? I haven't heard him say anything in years that had a positive reception.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I find the avalanche of factual falsehoods irritating enough. It's his conclusion and the insane leaps of faiths he would require of us, the consumers, that gets me. So in his mind, we're supposed to ditch the perfectly fine and actually healthy store both for the platform and competition in favor of the one that has been dousing gasoline on the entire market and lighting it on fire while calling it competition? The competitor whose entire business model is to be as barebones as possible and sell products it buys out from under the feet of its competition?

I can't find the words. My answer to anything EGS is still "no, please die and never, ever attempt this again on PC".

Oh, and I stand dazzled by 2K's courage in accepting bit bags of cash while still reducing the exclusivity period by half. What brazen risk-takers!

Oct 27, 2017
Randy Pitchford is the Zack Snyder of gaming personalities.
Don't insult Zack Snyder like that.

This is about getting millions dumped in your lap for an exclusive. That's it. It's not even about the cut- its getting a couple million or so before the game is even out.

I'm still waiting for Epic to give me as a consumer any reason why I should use their store other than them locking away exclusives on it.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I dislike EGS and Pitchford, not even trying to deny that, it's nothing personal, I believe Randy is anti-consumer and has a track record of lying to consumers and I believe Tim and EGS are the same.

It's nothing to do with them as individuals, I respect they have to look out for their own businesses but I side with consumers, not greedy people who don't care about consumers.

^This.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017