• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That's what I like about you. It's always comparison with the worst:
"Don't be complaining ! On other system they have an online paywall"
"Be grateful ! On Switch there's not even a party chat !"
"It could be worse ! Think of PS4 where you need to pay to change your username".

I'm not comparing with the worse stuff existing. I'm comparing as a customer as what I'm used to. And a shop is paying exclusives to convince me to use their services instead of those I use already. So yeah, I'll be comparing it to what I'm using in 2019.

You really should stay away from misinformation. I've never made any of those statements, ever. If anything, you've been the one making comparisons of this sort. But I digress.

The point is not to show that the EGS should ape a console experience. The point is that for a storefront launch focused on the essentials, the shopping cart isn't a deal-breaker, and its the right call to focus on stuff like search functionality.

You have a clear timeline for delivery of the shopping cart.
The realist in me expects that a new store will not match Steam for features at launch. What matters is their forward looking plans to close the gap.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
giphy.gif

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The stores that tend to win are the stores that offer the best to their customers.

Except according to Randy, the store that offers this is the one that's going to lose.

Epic's the grand savior that's going to dispel this apparent Steam monopoly by forcefully creating one themselves.

Can't say I'd expect anything less from a developer or publisher getting free money thrown at them. What's he going to say? It sucks? He's going to tell you it's the greatest thing ever, and you'll see in time, because Epic's good for his wallet. None of these people give a damn about the customer.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You really should stay away from misinformation. I've never made any of those statements, ever. If anything, you've been the one making comparisons of this sort. But I digress.

The point is not to show that the EGS should ape a console experience. The point is that for a storefront launch focused on the essentials, the shopping cart isn't a deal-breaker, and its the right call to focus on stuff like search functionality.

The realist in me expects that a new store will not match Steam for features at launch. What matters is their forward looking plans to close the gap.
"It is the right call to focus on stuff like search functionality"

Maybe the issue was launching a shop without search functionality or any customer-focused thing?
Seriously, I did not expect EGS to launch in a similar state than Steam, BUT I FUCKING EXPECTED IT TO BE BETTER THAN ORIGIN AT LAUNCH, you know, the last true competitor to Steam.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Whatever it was, I can't access it. It's been blocked by Google.

For me, its simple; I lived through the shit Era of PC gaming during the 7th gen, when DRM, GFWL and delayed/no release was the order of the day for the PC market. The EGS reminded me of being forced to use GFWL and I'll never forget how THAT ended, badly with many, many broken games.

I have no problem with another storefront and even launcher. I have uplay, origin, GOG galaxy and Steam as launchers installed right now. Its the third party exclusivity and PR trying to convince me its raining while we all know its something else....

Well that makes sense. It's true that we don't know whether Epic will continue their store or not should they fail to penetrate the market

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, a shop without a shopping cart ?
As for the essential, even that wasn't (and still isn't) there.
The realist in you should wake up. We already has this talk: It's not up to me as a customer to say yes to every of their shit. We have standards in 2019, regardless of Steam. Standards that aren't met. And judging by their roadmap, they plan to close the gap with Steam indeed... from 2009.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Ah yes, the old story of the hero business man from the rich family that invest in making the world better, a classic.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn dude all of those "randy pitchfork doesn't need to distance himself from borderlands" takes in the other thread

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
"scummy" "good businessman"
wat
I'm iffy on Randy being a good businessman but it is true that all the best businessmen do scummy things. The fact is that when it comes to capitalism, ruthlessness is the best attribute for money making.

Huh... I was going to link to The Great EGS FAQ for people that wanted information but it's apparently been removed from Google Drive? Anyone know why or have a copy?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I dislike EGS and Pitchford, not even trying to deny that, it's nothing personal, I believe Randy is anti-consumer and has a track record of lying to consumers and I believe Tim and EGS are the same.

It's nothing to do with them as individuals, I respect they have to look out for their own businesses but I side with consumers, not greedy people who don't care about consumers.

^This.
If it wasn't randy then it would be some other dev explaining this, but seeing how people like to take the righteous stand for the consumers while ignoring Valve's own mistakes in their store is laughable. Steam is not perfect and it never was, so having a form of competition to that can only lead to good things in the long term.
The contempt for the egs is mostly about Epic's way of securing exclusives and not having features ready yet, one of those things won't be a problem in the near future(features) since Epic are investing a lot of money in that store. so we are left with exclusives, a practice that is used in all forms of entrainment from music, movies and tv shows, but when a company like Epic does it they are somehow "anti-consumer", that's just how capitalism works for better or worse.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
What will he say in a year from now when the Steam version of BL3 has outsold the Epic Store version?

He'll duck and weave and claim the market has spoken and how all gamers have won.

Randy, the publishers, and Epic have been intellectually dishonest and weaving a bullshit narrative just for money and control so far...

why would they stop then?

I mean if the defenders to this shit and other scummy corporate practices on this forum show, they will come up with another hollow narrative when one fails. And then they will retreat to an old talking point if all else fails.

Edit: And apparently they will present an extreme case of bad business to compare this case to. Cause why not muddy up the argument with unrelated bullshit. "Epic game store is not as bad as that oil spill in the Gulf, was it?! You still use gasoline, right!?"

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I got you don't worry. And we're supposed to think this good businessman knows his shit when he's telling us "it's good for you". Despite his scammer history.

Did you similarly scrutiniz Bill Gates or any of his successors anytime Microsoft had a product to sell? Steve Jobs with any Apple product?

Like, this is literally what being a business person is all about. I don't even like Randy but your hatred of anyone and anything that gets into bed with EGS makes you not only irrational but predictable.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't randy then it would be some other dev explaining this, but seeing how people like to take the righteous stand for the consumers while ignoring Valve's own mistakes in their store is laughable. Steam is not perfect and it never was, so having a form of competition to that can only lead to good things in the long term.
The contempt for the egs is mostly about Epic's way of securing exclusives and not having features ready yet, one of those things won't be a problem in the near future(features) since Epic are investing a lot in that store. so we are left with exclusives, a practice that is used in all forms of entrainment from music, movies and tv shows, but when a company like Epic does it they are somehow "anti-consumer", that's just how capitalism works for better or worse.
Issue is that EGS is not really competing with Steam, the only thing that would make Steam compete with EGS as it is would be to pay more for the games to be exclusive to Steam, as that is the only "new" thing EGS is bringing to the board.

And it is kinda funny you say people are ignoring Valve mistakes when most people here posted about "what can make Steam better" thread not that long ago.

Did you similarly scrutiniz Bill Gates or any of his successors anytime Microsoft had a product to sell? Steve Jobs with any Apple product?

Like, this is literally what being a business person is all about. I don't even like Randy but your hatred of anyone and anything that gets into bed with EGS makes you not only irrational but predictable.
Randy has been an asshole way before the EGS thing. You linking the hate to him to just the EGS thing is kinda blind.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Whatever it was, I can't access it. It's been blocked by Google.

Well that makes sense. It's true that we don't know whether Epic will continue their store or not should they fail to penetrate the market

They'll continue their store for awhile. Hopefully it won't be GFWL and its not a perfect 1:1 as GFWL games still used the launcher no matter what store front you bought it from and EGS games will be available elsewhere, eventually. Mostly.

They've got to compete on more than just "Game Supply"

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I don't mind people getting "into bed with EGS" as you say. I don't hold any grudge with people doing it for legitimate reasons and being upfront about it. As far as I know, neither Bill Gates or Steve Jobs are trying to sell me on something that is worse than products made 10 years ago today.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The contempt for the egs is mostly about Epic's way of securing exclusives and not having features ready yet, one of those things won't be a problem in the near future(features) since Epic are investing a lot of money in that store. so we are left with exclusives, a practice that is used in all forms of entrainment from music, movies and tv shows, but when a company like Epic does it they are somehow "anti-consumer", that's just how capitalism works for better or worse.

So to make things better in the long run people should support and inferior platform in any metrics available, who's only strategy is to reduce customers' options regarding how they buy their games while raising prices?

What do you think the message will send to over company with more money than Epic/Tencent looming over the gaming industry?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

we had a thread weeks ago that was simply just "should randy pitchford distance himself from borderlands 3?"

its not an EGS thing

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Ignoring mod warning, misrepresenting information, and modwhining across multiple posts
lol well then, I can see why no one every pops in and says they like the epic games store for the pc market. you get a warning. thanks mods lol.

also I don't have a history of posting much in these threads, so thanks for lying. I have only posted in these threads a handful of times.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He also invested in that Paladins rip-off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this a serious post?

Never said he didn't make bad decisions, every company makes them. As long as the good decisions outweigh the bad ones and they can keep the company profitable that's what matters.

If I said Tiger Woods was a great golf player would you post 'yeah so great he didn't win _____'?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of the same bullshit that's been previously spurted from elsewhere.

Apparently the issues people are currently having with EGS will eventually cease to be because of reasons.
Cool. Currently these issues do exist, and so I will continue opposing EGS.
It seems unlikely to me that EGS key third party store pricing will ever get in line with that of keys of other platforms. Which is my main issue.

EGS is a worse, more expensive (at least in my region) service that deprives customers of choice by throwing moneybags at game companies.
Epic is using a monopolistic strategy and deprioritizing customers, to the benefit of itself and the aforementioned game companies.

Pitchford is with one of those game companies, and tries to convince us that Epic has the customers' best interests at heart.
When Pitchford describes EGS as being a "GIFT to customers." I think he sounds insane.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind people getting "into bed with EGS" as you say. I don't hold any grudge with people doing it for legitimate reasons and being upfront about it. As far as I know, neither Bill Gates or Steve Jobs are trying to sell me on something that is worse than products made 10 years ago today.

If Steve Jobs were trying to sell you something I'd suggest contacting an exorcist.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
He's right about one thing. The store that will win will the be the one that has the best features for consumers. By his own admission that is not EGS. With that said I feel Randy Pitchford is a blowhard and one of the most hated executives in gaming. I don't want to hear another word from him.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Epic's the grand savior that's going to dispel this apparent Steam monopoly by forcefully creating one themselves.

This is the part that boggles my mind in these arguments. Epic is never going to have the marketshare Steam had a year ago. No one (including Valve) will ever have that again. Steam is not going away, they just are in a defensive position they are not used to.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
We've been mocking Randy every since he stole money from Sega and sold a faulty product that was marketed with fake material.
Meanwhile i still like people who are "in bed" with Epic, like for example Supergiant. Sure i lost some respect for them when they published that article claiming they were going exclusive for our benefit but they needed money and they got it, good for them. Randy is just slime.

Apparently this pdf i made to answer such questions is against googles TOS, HUH?

If you still have it we should put it up on GitHub.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
epic gives devs and publishers a much bigger cut. That leads to more budget for games. I have no loyalty to steam so I'll do what's in the best interest of me. The gaming industry is kind of a shit show in regards to employment and job stability. If this bigger cut helps that? I'm all for it.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
epic gives devs and publishers a much bigger cut. That leads to more budget for games. I have no loyalty to steam so I'll do what's in the best interest of me. The gaming industry is kind of a shit show in regards to employment and job stability. If this bigger cut helps that? I'm all for it.
So trickle down economics in full effect?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry this might seem weird, but what exactly is the issue with the Epic Game Store?

As far as I am concerned it's just another Launcher, so it's not really a problem.
Is it about the lack of features?

Geniuly asking, I don't get the exact problem.

It's a new launcher with barebones functionnalities, subpar account security (i'm not talking about the spyware rumors : Epic accounts seem rather easy to hack), offering the same prices than everywhere (and even higher for a bunch of countries), buying exclusivities left and right ultimately removing choice for the consumer and rendering us unable to find cheaper ways to buy said games.

In short.

Steam might be seen as a monopoly, yes. But you can find your Steam keys from various outlets for much cheaper (wich won't give any money to Steam) while still being able to use all the functionnalities baked in Valve's launcher.

Yet, somehow, forcing players on EGS is supposed to be good for us.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Issue is that EGS is not really competing with Steam, the only thing that would make Steam compete with EGS as it is would be to pay more for the games to be exclusive to Steam, as that is the only "new" thing EGS is bringing to the board.

And it is kinda funny you say people are ignoring Valve mistakes when most people here posted about "what can make Steam better" thread not that long ago.

Randy has been an asshole way before the EGS thing. You linking the hate to him to just the EGS thing is kinda blind.
You don't need to have the exact same supply to compete, if they both offer big games that's enough to consider it a competitor, they are fighting over market share. You know why Valve didn't buy exclusives in the past? because they never had to, steam had free reign aka a monopoly.
So to make things better in the long run people should support and inferior platform in any metrics available, who's only strategy is to reduce customers' options regarding how they buy their games while raising prices?

What do you think the message will send to over company with more money than Epic/Tencent looming over the gaming industry?
You are supporting the game devs not epic, it's a store after all, you buy the game and play it that's the basics of what a store should do, the other things are gravy only to be added on top of your game experience.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
There are fundamental differences between a private business and a publicly traded company. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

That said what he suggest those differences will mean in the long run are either myopic or disingenuous.
I misunderstood that part then. It read like he was going to say one is private and one is public, but I thought he backed away from that at the last moment to say they're both private but different. My bad

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
IF there should be a spokesperson(s) for EGS...it ain't Pitchford. He got too much baggage coming in and people are already turned off from the first millisecond because they don't find him trustworthy on things like this.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loathe Randy as a developer and human being in general. I think he is a slimy lying asshole but also I agree with him here. EGS is good for the PC landscape on the whole. I very much want a future where Steam isnt the only option.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
You don't need to have the exact same supply to compete, if they both offer big games that's enough to consider it a competitor, they are fighting over market share. You know why Valve didn't buy exclusives in the past? because they never had to, steam had free reign aka a monopoly.

You are supporting the game devs not epic, it's a store after all, you buy the game and play it that's the basics of what a store should do, the other things are gravy only to be added on top of your game experience.
You're noone to tell me what standards i have on the store i play videogames, they aren't gravy, they are the bare minimum essentials, like not having to have 7 hacking emails going on on my account or not playing a game with no cloud saves in 2019.
I loathe Randy as a developer and human being in general. I think he is a slimy lying asshole but also I agree with him here. EGS is good for the PC landscape on the whole. I very much want a future where Steam isnt the only option.
Yet you want a future where EGS is the only option.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

I am not against competition, as a matter of fact if I had it my way GOG would be the market leader as they are the most pro-consumer store front on PC and the only one to give true ownership to consumers.

I also never said steam was perfect but they certainly aren't anti-consumer, they give users choice and they have made huge changes over the years that have directly benefited the consumer, they most certainly aren't a monopoly.

Epic on the other hand are doing hardly anything valuable for consumers, they are limiting choice, charging more money and giving less features and trying to select games that fit their store based on what they perceive to be quality (which is subjective) and will only harm the indie space.

What Epic are doing IS anti-consumer and will eventually lead to a monopoly (the very thing people accuse steam of) if they continue with their current stance.

These exclusives are not games they have made themselves, they have actively taken games from other services with monetary force and are limiting the choice of consumers as to where to buy these products, yeah, it's capitalism but just because it's capitalism doesn't mean it has to be anti-consumer.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory commentary and homophobic language
Hardcore gay porn would have trouble outdoing the passion at which Pitchford gobbles the cock of the EGS.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

LOL, if you think that a better cut is going to help the employees than I don't know what to tell you.