• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Recently Gearbox published a new game, Tribes of Midgard. And it seems Randy doesn't understand why reviewers and streamers ask for a code if they can just buy the game.

It's astonishing when we get e-mails from journalists and critics and influencers who spend three paragraphs describing how successful they are in hopes that will convince us to send them a free code. Sure, here's a code, but… bro… Tribes of Midgard is, like, $20.
???

BONUS:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it's adorable that he thinks i can afford to buy every game i write about

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
He want reviewers to pay to do their jobs and streamers to do free marketing?

When there are literally thousands of other games to cover?

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him on this one. It's basically like asking for a free meal just because you're a food critic.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I mean, wouldn't companies like this contact reviewers and hand out codes typically? Not the other way around?

Is this one of those "Hi - I'm a Yelp reviewer. Could I have a free meal in exchange for a review" situations?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He is just the worst.

Still want my E3 with Randy on Borderlands set time back please. I feel like he owes me 20$ for that.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Randy sucks but anyone who has ever made anything is familiar with the phenomenon of people coming out of the woodwork asking for it for free for {insert reason}

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with him on this one. It's basically like asking for a free meal just because you're a food critic.
Film critics do tend to get advanced screenings, because their influence can bring more viewers/customers on-board. At the end of the day as well, there's plenty of games to make content out of, and time is the limiting factor, hence why people are looking for a reason to focus on X thing.

Even if there is a discussion on how the process works (and is constantly changing), Gearbox SPECIFICALLY has a process in place for free keys, they ASKED for applications like that, Randy is going "lmao y'all desperate" but his company is literally participating in the thing he's complaining about.

If anything it seems more like Pitchford trying to gain some credit by disparaging "games jurnalists" and "influencers" despite literally using them as expected. Again, Pitchford needs to spend more time not talking, as he's going to bring his whole company down.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's adorable that he thinks i can afford to buy every game i write about
Even if you could it's like, why the hell would you want to? That point stands even ignoring the fact that it's a JOB with avenues to ensure you can continue work without having to put down your own money so why would you ever not try that?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I…really can't tell

I mean, wouldn't companies like this contact reviewers and hand out codes typically? Not the other way around?

Is this one of those "Hi - I'm a Yelp reviewer. Could I have a free meal in exchange for a review" situations?

How hard is it to read the OP. It even has pictures

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
5ihvts.jpg

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Yes this is how I took it...and if that's the case...I don't totally disagree.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Randy sucks but anyone who has ever made anything is familiar with the phenomenon of people coming out of the woodwork asking for it for free for {insert reason}

Publishers want these reviews, though. Not having enough reviews would be a disaster for any major game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, this is a time I can hate both. Influencers of any size really think they deserve everything because they have a platform. It can be a bit obnoxious.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't want to pay $20 out of my own pocket in my job, I don't see why asking for a code in a professional capacity is in any way peculiar.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I still find the game publisher/'influencer' relationship to be kind of problematic but does he really not realise it is a mutually beneficial agreement to give them free codes? I guess it must also be pretty tiresome to deal with all the begging for codes game devs/pubs must get from anyone with a Twitch channel.

Also, Randy is a bellend.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The developers literally set up a rainmaker for the game, where content creators and journalists can apply to get the game for free for exposure/reviews. Bigger outlets probably were offered, yes, but for smaller groups with some reach, the developers asked people to reach out.

So the developers of the game ASKED FOR PEOPLE TO APPLY FOR FREE CODES, then Randy being peak fucking Randy just comes in and goes WHY ARE PEOPLE ASKING FOR FREE CODES AND LISTING THEIR CREDENTIALS.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wouldn't want to pay $20 out of my own pocket in my job, I don't see why asking for a code in a professional capacity is in any way peculiar.

No one would pay to do their jobs, this is a ridiculous notion.

"Sure we could provide you a pen, but bro it's just $3"

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I do prefer streamers/ influencers buy their own games.

Game reviewers working alone, I see no harm asking for codes, but you shouldn't complain if you don't get it. Getting the games are basically necessary job expense.

Game reviewers working in a company though, the company could foot the bill really.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If 20$ isn't that big of a deal for Randy then i don't understand why he's whining on twitter about it. It's only 20$, that shouldn't be a big deal for a huge successful publisher like his...

The free advertising he gets for these codes should be worth much more than 20$.

Also reviewers/etc. usually don't only play one game per month. That adds up over time.

So at the end of the day Randy wants them to pay 20$ to him so that they can advertise the game for him?

I can totally see him thinking this is how it should work.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
The degree of whiplash I'm getting reading this thread

Like, folks going "But he's right though, people are entitled" when the official Twitter account for the game asking for those very submissions is right in the OP

Y'all are gonna break my neck

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I just love it when Randy or Timmy decide to pop into reality now and again to make a pitch why they're a bigger clown than the other.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I do prefer streamers/ influencers buy their own games.

Which is fine, but it's a little weird when your game's official SoMe account literally says "hey send us an application for free keys!"...

Again, even if there's a point to discuss, Randy is a fucking clown, and continues to be a fucking clown. He gets NO discussion until he realises how much shit comes out of his mouth.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck is wrong with him? why would reviewers pay for the game in order to review and advertise your game you dumbass

edit: lol, and they tweeted ASKING for people to request codes

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The degree of whiplash I'm getting reading this thread

Like, folks going "But he's right though, people are entitled" when the official Twitter account for the game asking for those very submissions is right in the OP

Y'all are gonna break my neck
example 100000 of era posters being way too online and unable to empathize with even the most clear cut situations

would anyone here seriously pay out of pocket to do a job if it wasn't absolutely required? go outside.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Publishers want these reviews, though. Not having enough reviews would be a disaster for any major game.
well, I mean, they don't have to want these reviews. its up to them who they want to dole out free codes to, if anyone. whether or not it is a good business decision is sort of irrelevant

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should honestly, I'm finding reviews more useless by the day as most of them tend to ignore after pre-patch or pre-release issues and don't take many factors into until after the fact or not at all.

its not out of the norm for a game to review well and shit the bed on release day or week or month…

Maybe this would force them to be more critical? But yeah, hand that feeds but they needs us, etc.

So much wrong with the games industry, I find it hard to care about certain subjects when other much more insidious stuff seems to be "less" important until it hits the fan.

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
These influencers and reviewers are basically free marketing for the game.

Giving them a free copy is in YOUR best interest Randy