• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put in some commentary as well, please:

1. Three Houses: best story, best characters, best gameplay systems, best everything. Haven't finished it yet but it's my clear favourite so far.

2. Fire Emblem Echoes: feels old-school in a good way but also has modern conveniences. Nice production values. Few hassles, just good solid meat-and-potatoes strategy.

3. Fire Emblem/The Sacred Stones: my first games in the series, and I got into them because I was a huge Advance Wars fan. Loved the 2D animations, didn't love the stories, unexplained mechanics, annoying AI, or gameplay traps. Stopped playing the games out of frustration until Echoes got me back into the series.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I like Echoes for the characters and story and Awakening for the overall package and DLC. I haven't finished Three Houses but it might take first place because it is another good title with good polish, voice acting, and music.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
1. Awakening

2. Fates

3. Three Houses

4. Blazing Sword

5. Sacred Stones

6. Shadow Dragon

7. Echoes

8. Radiant Dawn

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
1. Three Houses. Brilliant reinvention and great story and characters. Good gameplay but not deep or challenging enough on first playthrough.
2. Awakening. My First FE. Decent story, good characters, decent gameplay.
3. A pile of garbage
4. Fates

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Three Houses

Awakening

Blazing Sword

Fates

Path of Radiance

Radiant Dawn

Sacred Stones

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
1. Three Houses, the only fire emblem game i have played though it has made me interested in trying some of the older titles

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I'll spoil you all: Fire Emblem 7, the Path of Radiance duology, Awakening & Three Houses will be at the top.

The DS remake and the Fates trilogy will be at the bottom

And Sacred Stones & Echoes will sit confused in the middle.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
1. PoR
2. Three Houses
3. RD
4. Echoes
5. Awakening
6. FE7
7. Fates

At the risk of this basically just being a list thread, I liked three houses, but nostalgia just wins out. Three Houses has a *boatload* of issues, though. It's death from 1000 papercuts at times.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow, so many Fire Emblem topics on here nowadays. The Fire Emblem fever is high!

1. Three Houses - best characters, best game systems (love the attack chains), best lore, best music, best writing (so much hidden depth to everything!), one of my favourite SRPGs I've played yet and I've still not even finished it yet with the other two chartacters!
2. New Mystery of Fire Emblem (DS) (fan translation) - incredibly fast paced, so fun to play, once I started I couldn't stop playing this masterpiece in the Fire Emblem series. Some of the most badass villains in the series too. More people need to play this (either via emulation or by hacking your DS/3DS). It's one of IS best games!
2. (joint) Path of Radiance - best main character in the series, fun story, great maps and combat, really deserves a remake.
3. Echoes - best art style (character art specifically), second best story I've seen in the series, second best music, probably the most addictive to play too next to Three Houses, I lost time to this gem. Vastly underrated and unplayed since it released so late into the 3DS lifespan. More FE fans need to play this.
4. Awakening - a nice change up and modernisation for the series, fun maps, fun characters, nice art (though vastly overrated), good pacing, good music.
5. Fates (Conquest) - Only played Conquest but it was a fun game marred by so many problems with its story and characters. Definitely the weakest out of the modern FE range. Still had good maps and had a good time with it.
6. Sacred Stones - Love the 2D animations but man this is a hard game to go back to since the QoL over time. The story is okay.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
1.Three Houses
Brilliant revolution to the franchise

2. Sacred Stones
My first Fire Emblem. I also quite like the characters. Eirika is a little bland though but it's cool

3. Fire Emblem 7
Hector was my favourite character of the entire series until El came along so

4. Awakening
Quite enjoyed it when it came out on the 3DS. Great OST

These are the ones I've beaten. From the ones where I just played a little

5. Binding Blade
Lilina is cool. Liked the characters except Roy. He's just a red Marth

6. Path of Radiance
I really liked this one when I played it as a kid but I don't remember much. My disk broke :(

7. Echoes
Really cool artstyle. I love Celica until I don't

8. Shadow Dragon
This game is ugly and dated

9. Fates
This game's story was so bad I literally couldn't play it. Some characters have cool designs (Azura is a personal favourite) but I can't stand the writing. Really cringy.

I've played exactly 1 level of Genealogy, Thracia, Mystery and New Mystery so won't comment on those

Nov 8, 2017
1. Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Blade
2. Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance
3. Fire Emblem 10: Radiant Dawn
4. Fire Emblem 8: Sacred Stones

FE7 was my first but also my favorite due to Hector and his campaign. PoR anclose second because it's just a great game, exception of the Laguz which were lame imo. I never beat FE10 and ended up selling it and my Wii - as good a game as it was, I didn't think it was worth keeping a system for. FE8 was fun but just didn't have as memorable characters or maps as others I've played.

Just started Awakening and an early on, liking it so far. I'll eventually play Shadown of Valentia and Three Houses.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
1. Awakening
2. FE VII
3. Fates

I've also played/am playing Sacred Stones, Echoes, and Three Houses but haven't finished or gotten close to finishing them so I can't rank them yet.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
1. Echoes. The lack of a weapon triangle kinda shines imo. Arts are fab. Encounters get a little boring when they're stacked with lots of the same enemies, but this one just feels great.

2. Conquest. Have yet to finish it, or even touch Birthright for that matter, but I dug what I played a bunch. Really enjoyed the characters in this one the most out of any FE game I've played

3. Path of Radiance. Writing (or the localization) felt a little, dated maybe? And the game was a bit tougher, but I liked it a lot.

4. Shadow Dragon. Played via emulator so not the best experience, didn't like the visuals all too much either, but I liked the writing!

5. Radiant Dawn. Kinda too difficult? Also the writing felt the worst of any I'd played.

(Plan to play through all of the 3DS games before I snag 3H in September)

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
hard for me to really rank them individually since i've only ever played most of these once and in some cases like a decade+ ago so i'm not even gonna try and instead break them up into three tiers

Path of Radiance/Blazing Sword/Three Houses

wonky feeling pacing and lacking difficulty in three houses aside this is I suppose my "full package" tier where I enjoyed both the gameplay as well as the other aspects

Fates(Conquest)/Sacred Stones

the gameplay in the only fates version I played(Conquest) was good enough that I kind of want to put it in my first tier but everything else was so bad that I can't really fully justify it,Sacred Stones I only played once and a very long time ago so I don't really remember it that well but I remember it just feeling kinda weaker overall

Echoes

I tried to play this twice but the maps and such just felt bad enough that I didn't even finish it both times(although I did get like 80% through it the second time)

really need to get around to playing some of the others that I haven't played some day

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
1) Blazing Sword - It was my first one so I've got a ton of nostalgia for it.
2)Path of Radiance - It's an ugly game but the story was pretty good and the gameplay was great overall.
3) Three houses - I'm halfway through so it could very well get to number 2. The focus on characters works really well and most of the game systems are great. It's a bit too slow though.
4) Awakening - The story is pretty dumb at times but it's an enjoyable time. The fact you can grind destroys the difficulty though.
5) Sacred Stones - Its story and most of its characters are dull and boring. Its difficulty is totally fucked because you can grind. It's kinda like Awakening, except more boring.
6) Fates Birthright - It's such a dumb game. It's still fun and the music is great but it's hard to care about what's happening because it's so dumb.
7) Fire Emblem 6 - It's dull af, I couldn't finish it, it's too boring.
8) Shadow Dragon - It's even duller than FE6, couldn't finish it either
9) Heroes - Its gameplay is pretty neat but eh, it's still a gacha game with a shit story.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
A lot of FE games I've never beaten, but have played a lot of.
1. Three Houses - It's definitely going to stand out for me as a big one, and it seems to be almost infinitely replayable with the amount of customization the teaching system gives you.
2. Awakening - My first FE. Extreme bias.
3. Echoes - Shitty map design does make it not as good as it could be otherwise, but it's an extremely fun FE game otherwise and is godlike from a presentation standpoint.
4. Birthright - First Fates path, I played it before I got burned out on Fates. This is about where the games go from GREAT to just good for me.
5. Sacred Stones - Never really finished it. I got to about chapter 20 before I got a little overwhelmed by how many units I had/got too busy to finish it. Still a fun game though with a great cast of characters.
6. Conquest - Started it immediately after Birthright. Not a huge fan, because I was already burnt out on Fates and a lot of maps seem extremely gimmicky. Still has some amazing map designs, even with a garbage plot.
7. Revelation - Burnt out completely on Fates. Garbage plot, too many units, etc.

If I had to rate all three paths of Fates together though, they'd all be under Sacred Stones easy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
1. Path of Radiance - none of the Western games until Three Houses even held a candle to the universe built in the Tellius games. The political & religious drama is really great & engrossed me when i was playing it as a teen.

2. FE7 - my first FE game. Lovable cast, fantastic animations & soundtrack, tight tactical gameplay.

3. Three Houses - could rise on the list, loving the setting & characters, but difficulty could be a bit higher, even as I'm doing my NG+ on Hard Classic. Fully voice acted is a blessing

4. Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - fantastic character designs & the first game with so much voice acting in the Fire Emblem franchise. Sadly the maps & the writing for Celica ends up turning her into a plot device (imo) bring this one down a bit, but aesthetically this game is so pleasing.

5. Tied - Sacred Stones - Super easy, but introduced branching class paths & class skills that didn't exist FE7. Multiple "routes" were relatively fun. Actual postgame content with the Lagdou Ruins as well.

5. Tied- Radiant Dawn - sadly this is one that I had trouble playing more than once. Still has a lot of the good points in terms of story / setting from PoR, so I will have it tie with Sacred Stones. The game does so much right, but the structure of the 4 parts & jumping around between the different characters felt really jarring & unsatisfying. Feels real bad getting characters to grow & gain XP, only to move to an *entirely* different set of characters in the next part. This game tried to do some interesting things but I think this one got a bit too ambitious.

7. Awakening - this is the first Fire Emblem game I had to put down b/c I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I got to a few maps left in the game & at some point just stopped because I wasn't invested. Eventually I did go ahead & finish it off, but it was more just to complete it than because I cared what happened. The child mechanics gave me option paralysis as I tried to make sure I had reasonably good pairings between my characters. Honestly this game made supports a chore for me. Story isn't particularly good, but the character designs are ok, and the expansion of character skills was good overall, even if I hate the inheritance system & babies.

8. Fates Birthright - the only Fire Emblem game that I've bought but never finished. Characters are whack, all of your "siblings" have ridiculously OP weapons that make the whole game a joke. Doubled down on babies without them being plot relevant, and a story that just doesn't really get interesting by the point I stopped 15-16 chapters in. I was stilling collecting kids and just said "f*ck this, I'm not having fun."

Honorable Mention - Tokyo Mirage Session # FE - I know this is not remotely a traditional Fire Emblem game, but honestly this one would slot in at #5 I think. I've played it thru twice, and as long as you don't mind the "idol studio" setting of the game, the mechanics & gameplay is actually quite fun & I recommend it if you have a Wii U but haven't picked it up.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. Path of Radiance
2. Fire Emblem (GBA)
3. Three Houses
4. Awakening
5. Sacred Stones
6. Radiant Dawn
7. Fates
8. Echoes
Trash: Shadow Dragon

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've dabbled briefly in most, but only finished the first FE GBA. So it's the only one I feel I can make an argument for.

Plan to play through 3H tho...if I break away from FFXIV

Edit: shit I was planning on selling my (unplayed) copy of PoR, but looking at lists in this thread it seems I should play it before even 3H!

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
1. Three Houses: It has taken over my life and I completely love it.

2. Sacred Stones: It was my first Fire Emblem game which I played when I was a kid. I think most of my units died haha. Replayed it a few years later and still liked it.

3. Awakening: Really liked this one, made me remember my childhood love for the series.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Three Houses - Only went through the Crimson Flower route so far, but it's really, really good. Great characterization with a better written story than the others I've played. Also excellent OST and presentation.
  2. Awakening - First Fire Emblem to get me interested in the series. A bit more straightforward/linear but I enjoyed it a lot, and there are aspects of it that I liked a decent bit.
  3. Echoes - I feel like I'm of the dozen people who actually really liked Echoes. Maps were kind of ass at times, but I really enjoyed the story and art quite a bit.
  4. Fates(Birthright) - Birthright was kind of meh all around, not terrible, but mostly just okay with some really weird and cringy aspects even for me where I can usually stomach extreme anime a bit better than most. It doesn't help that the split up nature of the game was relatively annoying and while the story of birthright wasn't bad, the stories, or what I saw and heard of them, for Conquest and Revelations seemed like actual garbage.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1.three houses- story and characters actually extremely good, great progression system
2.conquest- story and characters bad... gameplay and music very good
3.birthright- story and characters are okay. the music is very good, and gameplay is pretty good
4.awakening- everything is okay but the music which is very good
5.revelation- music is still fates music which means its good but everything else kinda sucks

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
880845.gif

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
1. Fire Emblem Echoes - Loved everything about this game. Not just my favorite FE game, but one of my favorite games in general.
2. Fire Emblem The Three Houses - While I haven't finished it yet, I feel this is a safe spot for it. That or #3.
3. Fire Emblem Fates- I know a lot of people hate these games for various reasons, but I enjoyed them.
4. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Have but haven't started yet:

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
1. Three Houses
2. Pile of Garbage
3. Fates

I almost did not give Three Houses a try because of how much I hated Fates, which was my first exposure to FE.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
FE5
FE4
FE9
FE10
FE7
FEA
FE:SoV
FE8
FE6
FE DS
FE DS 2 (the remake of 3)
FE:Fates

Still playing through Three houses and only on chapter 7 so I can't say where it goes in this list for sure. So far I've found it a bit too easy and while it's introduced some cool mechanics (gambits, monsters, a more involved skill system and classes) I find myself missing some classic FE things (the feeling of recruiting people in a battle, having to make more meaningful choices between characters and them being somewhat locked into roles, actual difficulty).

Did not play: 1, 2, 3

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
1. PoR - Probably the best the series has to offer, though Three Houses looks like it'll change this when i pick it up this weekend. Great across the board.
2. Sacred Stones - Probably the most distilled "Fire Emblem" experience available. A bit briefer than other GBA games but good characters and worldbuilding and the monsters gave it some variety.
3. Genealogy of the holy war - Story's great but man, the sheer length of the maps/chapters was hell on my attention span.
4. Blazing Blade - should be higher but the forced 10 chapter tutorial was just obnoxious.
5. Awakening - Writing fell apart in the back and i didn't like the tone, but it wasn't bad overall. Just didn't hold up to the GBA/gamecube heydey.
6. Binding Blade - Would be higher but the map design was eh and they hadn't gotten weird of the weirdly kneecapped characters yet and fucking Roy not promoting until insanely late always irks me.
7. Radiant Dawn - i appreciate what they tried to do here but it was just annoying overall. Constant setting shifts and character availability wildly swinging.

8. Shadow Dragon (DS)
9. New Mystery of the Emblem (DS) - Remakes of what i understand to be rather meh games overall originally, so there's not a ton they could do. But the battle sprites were butt-ugly and the story wasn't anything special. New Mystery introduced the player avatar, which i dislike as a concept, so it gets the lower slot.

10. Fates Conquest - utter garbage. I wish i could get that $40 back.

haven't played echoes or thracia, or 1, 2, or 3. I'll probably get around to the first two sometime.

Last edited:

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
1. Path of Radiance
2. Awakening
3. Fates
4. Blazing Blade (aka FE7)
5. Echoes
6. New Mystery of the Emblem
7. Radiant Dawn
8. Sacred Stones
9. Binding Blade
10. Shadow Dragon

I haven't played Genealogy of the Holy War, other than the first stage, since I'm hoping for a remake, and I've passed up Thracia 776 since I haven't played Genealogy; I have no intention of playing the first three games since I played their remakes. I'm nowhere near finished Three Houses, but it'll likely land somewhere in my top three (not sure where). If I ranked the Fates games individually, Conquest would stay where I have Fates ranked, Birthright would fall under Radiant Dawn, and Revelation would fall under Sacred Stones. Lastly, I put Binding Blade ahead of Shadow Dragon, but the last two are basically tied, and I liked both of those games even though I ranked them last.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ones I have at least finished one playthrough:
1. Genealogy of the Holy War - The huge maps are awesome. Sigurd is pretty much the most wholesome lord and his romance with Deirdre is cute. Villain is dark as fuck, children actually make sense in the game, and it just has a bunch of fun characters like Lewyn, Ayra, Lex, Finn among others, but especially Lewyn the wind god.
2. Path of Radiance - I LIKE IKE. Also great story and just a stellar cast, Nephenee and Titania are goddesses.
3. Radiant Dawn - Almost as good as PoR but Micaiah is a crap lord so it gets points off for this.
4. Three Houses - Pretty good game, has a lot of great ideas in it I hope continue forward, but it has some significant flaws though they don't bring down the game too much.
5. Fire Emblem (blazing blade) - Lyn and Hector are amazing, first FE game I played. Just a wonderful introduction to the series, Eliwood is a bland as hell character though.
6. Shadows of Valentia - I had a lot of fun with this because it's so different from other games in the series. Loved a lot of the cast as well, but it has it's flaws. Great game.
7. Fire Emblem Binding Blade - First of GBA games, I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's only ok. Roy is a crap lord, at least Smash makes him cool.
8. Awakening - Interesting mechanics but overall a pretty bland game. Story is crap, Lucina is completely garbage, Donnel is the only character in this I find awesome. Tharja and Chrom are alright.

Haven't finished Sacred Stones, Thracia or Shadow Dragon.

Never played Mystery of the Emblem, will have to get around to playing Fates Conquest eventually for the gameplay, but fuck does everything else about it just puts me off from it.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
1. Path of Radiance - none of the Western games until Three Houses even held a candle to the universe built in the Tellius games. The political & religious drama is really great & engrossed me when i was playing it as a teen.

2. FE7 - my first FE game. Lovable cast, fantastic animations & soundtrack, tight tactical gameplay.

3. Three Houses - could rise on the list, loving the setting & characters, but difficulty could be a bit higher, even as I'm doing my NG+ on Hard Classic. Fully voice acted is a blessing

4. Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - fantastic character designs & the first game with so much voice acting in the Fire Emblem franchise. Sadly the maps & the writing for Celica ends up turning her into a plot device (imo) bring this one down a bit, but aesthetically this game is so pleasing.

5. Tied - Sacred Stones - Super easy, but introduced branching class paths & class skills that didn't exist FE7. Multiple "routes" were relatively fun. Actual postgame content with the Lagdou Ruins as well.

5. Tied- Radiant Dawn - sadly this is one that I had trouble playing more than once. Still has a lot of the good points in terms of story / setting from PoR, so I will have it tie with Sacred Stones. The game does so much right, but the structure of the 4 parts & jumping around between the different characters felt really jarring & unsatisfying. Feels real bad getting characters to grow & gain XP, only to move to an *entirely* different set of characters in the next part. This game tried to do some interesting things but I think this one got a bit too ambitious.

7. Awakening - this is the first Fire Emblem game I had to put down b/c I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I got to a few maps left in the game & at some point just stopped because I wasn't invested. Eventually I did go ahead & finish it off, but it was more just to complete it than because I cared what happened. The child mechanics gave me option paralysis as I tried to make sure I had reasonably good pairings between my characters. Honestly this game made supports a chore for me. Story isn't particularly good, but the character designs are ok, and the expansion of character skills was good overall, even if I hate the inheritance system & babies.

8. Fates Birthright - the only Fire Emblem game that I've bought but never finished. Characters are whack, all of your "siblings" have ridiculously OP weapons that make the whole game a joke. Doubled down on babies without them being plot relevant, and a story that just doesn't really get interesting by the point I stopped 15-16 chapters in. I was stilling collecting kids and just said "f*ck this, I'm not having fun."

Honorable Mention - Tokyo Mirage Session # FE - I know this is not remotely a traditional Fire Emblem game, but honestly this one would slot in at #5 I think. I've played it thru twice, and as long as you don't mind the "idol studio" setting of the game, the mechanics & gameplay is actually quite fun & I recommend it if you have a Wii U but haven't picked it up.
I can fully get down on most of your opinions (haven't played Path of Radiance though) especially in regards to FE7, Awakening, and Fates. I think both Awakening and Fates (Fates in particular) really soured me on the series. Fates killed any interest I had in the series until Three Houses - which I was not expecting.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I only played and liked Awakening. So is 3H long and good and a must play? I really like SRPGs like Advance Wars.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'll do this in tiers, and within each tier I'll list in release order.

Tier 1:

Genealogy of the Holy War -- fun balance of giant maps with tough secondary objectives; good challenge; great soundtrack; and probably the best story in the series. *I'll hear arguments that affection for the story comes down to a few major events, but the same could be said for TH, and TH's plot is a mess outside those events.

Thracia 776 - most challenging/interesting gameplay in the series; throws out an admirable number of new ideas, even if they don't all work.

Path of Radiance - killer soundtrack and fun, varied maps that mostly avoid the bloat of RD; solid characters and story.

Tier 2:

Blazing Sword - beautifully balanced and addictive as any substance known to man.

Radiant Dawn - some of the fun and the drawbacks of a high-level D&D campaign, with all the OP characters. Too much downtime for allied units.

Tier 3:

Sacred Stones - It's Blazing Sword with map grinding.

Binding Blade - It's Blazing Sword but not as good.

Three Houses - cool concept, great presentation, surprisingly effective writing in places; unfortunate that the monastery activities aren't very interesting, and the varied story/paralogue maps are undone by low difficulty. My thoughts in somewhat expanded form.

Tier 4:

New Mystery of the Emblem - better than Shadow Dragon in pretty much every respect, but I still hate most of the ideas SD introduced in place of what was working in the Tellius games.

Awakening - not for me.

Fates - not for me. And okay, so I always say I don't play FE games for the story or characters, but Fates is embarrassing in ways that are hard to ignore.

Tier 5:

Shadow Dragon - dull, stripped-down gameplay with one big, bad idea; terrible art; nothing story.

Last edited:

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
1. Fates Conquest - An absolute joy to play.
2. Binding Blade - Difficult but fair, memorable map design.
3. Blazing Sword - An all-around solid game, and a great introduction for new players. Hector Hard Mode and the ranking system provides fun challenges for veterans.
4. Genealogy of the Holy War - Doesn't really hold up that well, but I deeply respect what it did for the series.
5. Path of Radiance - No major weaknesses, but a bit too easy even on higher difficulties.
6. Radiant Dawn - Falters in its ambition, but good map design and objectives make it fun.
7. Sacred Stones - Really love the setting and characters. Play it on Hard Ephraim Route without grinding for a decent challenge.
8. Fates Birthright - Refinement of Awakening's mechanics.
9. Awakening - This is still a very good game, but it's just that the games above are overall better.
10. Echoes - A slog. First game on this list that I don't enjoy playing.
11. Fates Revelations - A big mess.
12. Thracia 776 - Interesting maps like Conquest, but it is not fair. Close to beating this game, but it has been thoroughly unsatisfying.

Bought my Switch yesterday, and I'm diving into Three Houses real soon.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
1. FE3: My favorite story and characters in the series, plus it adds in (most of) FE1, so it's the complete package.

2. FE11: Same as the above, but the avatar in 12 tipped the scales.

3. FE1: Like FE3.

4. FE12: I liked it, only ever played with the canon classes, but the support convos were a nice touch.

5. FE4: Enjoyed the vast maps, character-specific skills, and the cast is up there. Also the only game to do kids right to me.

6. FE5: It's difficult the first playthrough blind, but I liked following characters I've met before in the previous title.

*. Not going to really count, but I'd put BS around here. Voiced characters, and more of the characters I loved.

7. FE15: Echoes was a remake done right. Cutscenes looked good, everything was voiced, and added elements not found in the original Gaiden was appreciated. Not a fan of what they changed with Celica, but it is a template for what I'd like them to do to FE1/3 again someday. They played them too safe.

**. Not sure if this'd be counted, but this is where I'd place FE Musou. Story was whatever, but it had a few of my favorite characters from the series, and I sunk so many hours into it. Gameplay itself was perfect.

8. FE2: I do place Gaiden kind of high.The novelty aspect is one thing, but it's a refreshing break from the rest from time to time. Using HP with magic, shooting arrows from afar, etc. Of course, maps are the weak point of the game.

9. FE10: The game does have a special spot for me, and I actually played this story out of order. I played Radiant Dawn before Path of Radiance. Whilst Ike is a fine hero, I do prefer Micaiah as a character. Gameplay-wise, of course the Dawn Brigade is on the weaker side, but that's fine with me.

10. FE7: My first FE on the GBA having skipped 6 through sheer coincidence. Lyn is great, and it's easily one of the better stories for getting newbies into Fire Emblem. I also ended up liking Eliwood quite a bit by the end. Maps were fine, spent a ton of time dueling in arenas, and the music remixed old favorites which was nice.

11. FE13: Originally this was a game that I rather disliked to be honest. After giving it another shot thanks to a recommendation from someone I ended up changing my mind on it. Whilst it's still not my favorite, and I still don't like the avatar, there's enough here to have fun with. I actually do like the marriage system, but I'm just one for playing through the story. Getting galeforce, caring for Donnel, or taking care of the kids are things I ignore with this entry.

12. FE14: Fates is a mixed bag. I like, dislike, and feel neutral with each route respectively. Kids came back for whatever reason which I didn't care for, but could easily be ignored. The avatar in this game is worse than Awakening though. Character interactions are nice (I actually did like the face rubbing feature), but because you can pair with almost anyone, the supports suffered. The jump to S rank convos would just feel awkward in places. Maps can be great though depending on what you're playing.

13. FE9: There's nothing really wrong with the game, in fact I do enjoy it as with the prior titles mentioned, but it was pitched to me as the best in the series. The story is fine, and the gameplay almost way too easy with Ike being able to complete the game himself. It's a solid entry.

14. FE6: This is one of the only 2 FEs that I actually kinda dislike? I don't really care for Roy as a lord, and he feels so much weaker than other lords in the series. Maps weren't especially great either. This really hurts coming straight off of a stellar game like FE5. Lilina helps the game quite a bit.

15. FE8: Maps are more or less fine, but I find the story to be the worst in the series mainly because of the two lords. I do like one element with Cormag, but it's just not personally for me. I can see why people might have a difference of opinion and actually like stuff with Orson for instance however.

***. Heroes: I dropped off hard on it and sometimes just login to get my daily orbs for banner pulls. Not too interested in the game itself anymore.

(Three Houses is a work in progress, but I feel like it'll end up in the upper half of the list when all is said and done)

Never played #FE, so I really do hope it gets a Switch port.

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Ranked by how much I liked them (and if I finished them)
1. FE13
2. FE7
3. FE6
4. FE8
5. FE9
6. FE11
7. FE: Warriors

I honestly got burned out of FE and video games in general around the time 14 came out. I really wanted to finish 5 and 15, as I was pretty lategame. I also bought RD years ago wanting to play that. I really didn't like FE4, and I'm personally not a fan of 14 or 16.

Last edited:

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
1. Binding Blade — Hands down, my favourite maps in the series. I appreciated Roy not being yet another one-man-army Lord so I had to experiment around with maps and units a lot more due to that. While it can lack in characters and story (even though I do like a lot of the units), it's just a very fun game to play above anything else. It's frustrating, but rewarding.

2. Three Houses — Best characters in the series and a good branching story. The maps were a bit too big and overused for my liking and the Monastery runs out of steam, but I was curious to see what happens next and it did a great job keeping you invested in the characters and making you feel a certain weight to your actions.

3. Path of Radiance — This would be higher if the game wasn't so easy. The maps and characters are memorable. Ike makes but also ruins the game. This is why I can't take Roy being considered bad as a flaw, since the game being too easy means that the strategy in the strategy game is not even a central focus. It hurts the maps and even the story too.

4. New Mystery of the Emblem — Again, simply too easy and likely one of the most broken entries in the whole series. But I liked Marth, the characters and the support conversations. Music is also incredible.

5. Fire Emblem — I liked Hector, I think. I don't really remember much about the game other than thinking the difficulty was a step down compared to Binding Blade. I also remember really liking the ending.

6. Shadow Dragon — This was my first Fire Emblem. It's fine. Visuals are something else, though.

7. Awakening — The characters weren't my thing—I really only remember Chrom. The support conversations started to grate on me and the later maps were mostly a chore. I absolutely appreciate the game and what it did for the series, but it was unable to keep me invested and I finished it feeling ambivalent.

8. Sacred Stones — I don't remember anything about this one other than thinking it was just boring. Might have been fatigue after the previous two, but that doesn't explain why I don't remember a single character.

Last edited: