• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to get it out of the way, I don't really want to spend time discussing the thread title or how these games are classified. You all know what I mean. I recently revisited the series and wow, we were lucky between 2001 and 2008. In that time our cup runneth over and "Metroidvania" was almost a yearly release.

Circle of the Moon (A launch title for the GBA!)
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

Obviously Symphony of the Night is the renowned masterpiece. It laid the groundwork and every game since then has been trying to recapture the magic of that game. Funnily enough, I never beat the game until buying it on XBL Arcade despite owning it for PS1. I played all the others before actually making it through the original. Still, it's my #1 because it's just so memorable. I know the castle inside outside and upside down :P

Aria of Sorrow is a close second and the pinnacle of post-Sympony of the Night Castlevania games. The last game in the Metroid-like series to feature Ayami Kojima's brilliant art-work and the complete package. Where Circle of the Moon let down in the graphics and animation department and where Harmony of Dissonance let down in the music and level design department, Aria of Sorrow pulls in all the slack and delivers the best Castlevania experience this side of Symphony of the Night.

Dawn of Sorrow is a not so-distant third. It might be on par or close to Aria of Sorrow if not for the treadful anime style artwork and shoe-horned in touch controls. Despite the character portraits and cutscene/box art it's still a beautiful game and an A- official "Metroidvania" is still better than most other games in my book.

Circle of the Moon doesn't get a lot of hype nowadays and it's hard to see why. It's by far the best launch title the GBA got and the second best OST behind Symphony of the Night. I was utterly blown away by the choir singing the opening track. The game had a degree of infamy for being very hard to see on the original GBA's non-blacklit screen. I mean, who thought red on black was a good idea for the opening text crawl? I somehow managed to play the shit out of this game and have no regrets for all the strain I put on my eyes. It's the weakest in terms of animation but I still think it looks better than Harmony of Dissonance.

I didn't get very far into Portrait of Ruin. I wasn't feeling it. Maybe I'll get back into it one day.

Order of Ecclesia tries something different with the gameplay but it's not something I altogether enjoy. I'm still playing it on and off here and there but I haven't beaten this game either as it seems notably harder than the others. I also don't like the lack of an interconnected giant world to explore but I do admit the hub-world creates possibilities for more variety.

Harmony of Dissonance is the weakest. You went from having the second best OST to having the worst. Seriously, it's very hard to overstate the drastic downgrade in sound quality we got when we went from Circle of the Moon to this game. It's like going from SNES quality to original Game Boy quality. The animations and graphics saw something of an improvement but I prefer the look of Circle of the Moon even if there are much fewer frames of animation. Everything is just too big and blocky in Harmony of Dissonance. I don't remember much about this game which isn't high praise for a Metroidvania. I do like how you can dash both forwards and backwards. This is something I missed a great deal from other games in the series that don't have this feature.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just finished playing through all of them this year, here is my ranking:

#1 Symphony of the Night
#2 Portrait of Ruin
#3 Aria of Sorrow
#4 Harmony of Dissonance
#5 Dawn of Sorrow
#6 Curse of the Moon
#7 Order of Ecclesia

I was surprised by how much I liked Portrait of Ruin, and wondered why I hadn't heard more people talking about it!

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Order of Ecclesia
2. Aria of Sorrow
3. Symphony of the Night
4. Portrait of Ruin
5. Dawn of Sorrow
6. Circle of the Moon
7. Harmony of Dissonance

I also don't like the lack of an interconnected giant world to explore but I do admit the hub-world creates possibilities for more variety.
There is. After all of the hub map areas, there is a massive interconnected castle with tons of areas and bosses. OoE is a masterpiece IMO. Spoiler limitations should be up by now right? It's been 10 years!

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
For me, it's Aria of Sorrow > Order of Ecclesia > Symphony of he Night > Portrait of Ruin > Dawn of Sorrow > Circle of the Moon > Harmony of Dissonance

Aria of Sorrow is the series' peak to me. It contributed a ton to the series, with its take on equipable skills, added a story that was surprisingly decent and actually uses gameplay to help tell its story, and had a great bonus mode. Order of Ecclesia is basically the successor to Aria of Sorrow I wanted. Dawn of Sorrow was kind of phoning it in, and contained a lot of elements I straight up disliked. OoE doesn't always have the best level design or sprite art, but everything else was solid. Symphony of the Night is a classic, but putting them next to some of the later entries, it's not a game I'll pick again up as easily.

I was surprised by how much I liked Portrait of Ruin, and wondered why I hadn't heard more people talking about it!
I really liked Portrait of Ruin, but unfortunately it was a game that was prone to crashing. That kind of hindered my lust for exploration that fuels the genre for me.

Last edited:

soundpross

Oct 27, 2017
Flushing,NY
its been some time since i beat most of them but I really like harmony of dissonance alot cause of the speed run aspect of the game but i'd say symphony and ecclesia are my favorite ones followed by dissonance

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
1. Order of Ecclesia
2. Symphony of the Night
3. Dawn of Sorrow
4. Aria of Sorrow
5. Portrait of Ruin
6. Circle of the Moon
7. Harmony of Dissonance

Would be my personal ranking. I honestly don't understand any list that doesn't have OoE at or near the top - the game is just fab, and I never really get any of the difficulty comments. Like, iunno, it felt about as easy as any other Metroidvania to me?

Also, all of these games are good. Stupid high consistency across all of them, and I can't wait for Igarashi to follow up with Bloodstained.

EDIT: Order of Ecclesia was released 10 years ago. WHERE HAS MY LIFE GONE.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I've only played Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow.

But I'd rank Aria above Symphony. Being a little smaller and tighter gives it more playability for me.

Also:
unknown.png

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in my brain it's all gelled together as SOTN and the rest.

i could really give or take any of the GBA/DS stuff, barring Harmony because that awful audio effect

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
1) Order of Ecclesia
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Dawn of Sorrow
4) Aria of Sorrow
5) Circle of the Moon
6) Portrait of Ruin
7) Harmony of Dissonance

imo.

Right up to 6 they're all great games too. HoD is the only one that even approaches "average".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Order of Ecclesia
Dawn of Sorrow
Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
Harmony of Dissonance

OOE is easily my favourite, the boss fights are crunchy, the glyph system finally perfected and the difficulty just right. I didn't play Symphony until I found it as part of Dracula X on PSP (the pal version is painfully slow otherwise), and to be honest I prefer the DS games. I enjoy all of them though, the fast pace and arcadey combat makes them fun to play.

They remind me a bit (and stick with me here) of playing the Ys games, in that you are constantly moving to your next objective but barely slowing down to fight, it makes for a smooth, engaging journey where it feels like you are moving with purpose. That's one thing I really disliked about Mirror of Fate, as it's flashy radial whip combat looked cool but slowed down battles with even the weakest enemies to a crawl.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came in to say COTM and POR are really underrated. Real gems.
I love aria of sorrow too. Harmony is trash, the artstyle is just offputting.
I quit 1 hour into dawn of sorrow, couldn't be arsed.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Order of Ecclesia
  2. Symphony of the Night
  3. Circle of the Moon
  4. Aria of Sorrow
  5. Dawn of Sorrow
Order of Ecclesia has overtaken Symphony of the Night as my favorite Castlevania. I think both are masterpieces and really close in quality. The rest are good as well but they didn't come close to having the same kinda atmosphere as SotN and OoE have. Those two are on a another level in that regard.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
No list threads: A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. These threads tend not to generate much if any actual discussion or member interaction, and therefore are usually closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.