• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
A new edition of the 'Skywalker Saga' (eurgh) AKA Star Wars is soon to be released so it's that time again to rank the all the films. I'm going to stick to the episodes because I think the side stories are pointless and just exist to keep the brand in peoples minds. Nobody needed to know why Han Solo was called Solo, c'mon guys. But feel free to include them if you want. Anyway..

1. The Empire Strikes Back
The perfect fantasy film. An ideal pairing between a really a good director and Lucas's bizarre but culturally relevant ideas.
2. A New Hope
Simpler than Empire but more important. Highlights how editing can make a fantastic film out of less than ideal parts. Could be argued its overall impact of pop culture is negative but on its own merits it can't be denied how impressive it is.
3. Revenge of the Sith
A prequel, how dare I? Yeah Anakin's turn is fudged but it's hard to deny Ian Mcdiarmid's performance and the two bombastic ending fights that oscillate between complete silliness to genuine operatic brilliance. Could just be the amazing music.
4. Return of the Jedi
Looks really cheap at times, lack the originality of A New Hope or the masterful directing behind Empire. Han Solo is boring in this one. But has the best fight in the series, good ending. Yub Nub.
5. The Last Jedi
So messy it has some of the best stuff in the entire series (Luke) to some of the worst (Finn and cgi horses). A respectable entry that tried to be bold but was handicapped by its position in the new trilogy. Likely to be remembered as the best sequel trilogy film. Feels like Rian Jonhson should have started the trilogy rather than being sandwiched in between two other films.
6. The Phantom Menace
A respectable attempt to apply some real world politics into a children's film. That's not a joke, I respect the attempt to complicate the series through its backstory. A bit pintless overall though and filled with 1940's racism. George's love of old series on full display with that stuff. Podracing is cool and in general has the best ship and creature design of the series.
7. The Force Awakens
It's Jurassic World but for Star Wars. A pale imitation of something great. Reboot that reboots everything to be the same as it was before. Literally has a scene of the original death star being compared to a new one cool one which is even bigerer, which is more insulting to the intelligence that Jar Jar stepping in the stinky poo poo. Well directed and good cast.
8. Attack of the Clones
errr Christopher Lee is in it and plays a count? That's kinda cool. A MASSIVE step down from The Phantom Menace visually which gets unfairly tarred with the same brush. Really bad.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
This is the only correct ranking on the internetâ„¢

2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Last Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
OP: Switch 5th and 6th place and I can agree with your list. The new mainline movies are really awful except the CGI and actors. I enjoyed Rogue One, Solo and the tv show.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Last Jedi
3. Star Wars
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

Oct 27, 2017
  1. A New Hope
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Star Wars Holiday Special
  5. The Phantom Menace & Revenge of the Sith
  6. The Force Awakens & The Last Jedi
  7. Rogue One
  8. Solo
  9. Attack of the Clones

I haven't seen the Ewok movies.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Last Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

Easiest list ever.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Last Jedi

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
5 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 1 > 2

Attack of the Clones was absolutely horrendous all the way until the Jedi ignited their lightsabers in the arena, and even then the Battle of Geonosis has some of the worst special effects you'll ever see. And don't even get me started on the writing. The cringe is real watching it, I can't imagine what it must have been like trying to act it out.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Empire
The Last Jedi
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens

The rest aren't worth the effort... ROTS as the best of them I suppose for the comedy...

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
1) ESB = ANH: The perfect sequel is equal to the purest, most self-contained Star Wars film

2) RotJ = TLJ: Two essential Star Wars films which offer some of the highest highs of the saga...and some lows too

3) RO: An underrated prequel done right which makes Darth Vader and the Death Star terrifying again. Has some surprisingly emotional moments.

4) TFA: A very well made reminder of why we love Star Wars, but it's low on novelty

5) Solo: A very solid but inessential Star Wars entry

6) TPM: The best of the mediocre Lucas prequels on the whole; inconsequential, but has the best production design, dialogue and sense of place

7) RotS: Palpatine's scenes are more compelling than anything in TPM, but on the whole the film unforgivably squanders a home run of a plot.

8) AotC: Rightfully maligned - aggressively digital and one of the hokiest romances in mainstream cinema.

Dec 31, 2017
Ah this thread....

ezgif-1-5b3152b03736.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The rest

DarkSora

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Probably gonna get some hate but I grew up with the prequels and then saw the original trilogy so...

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Empire strikes back
3. A new hope
4. The phantom menace
5. Return of the jedi
6. Attack of the clones
7. The force awakens
8. The last jedi

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
1. The Phantom Menace - i absolutely love this movie. if i have to watch a star wars movie, this is the pick.

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Attack of the Clones

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. Return of the Jedi

6. A New Hope

7. The Force Awakens

8. The Last Jedi - i watched this the other day and it's better than i remember but its very long and pretty boring and poe is an extreme asshole which is tough to get past. holdo has to commit suicide because this dude sucks so much. luke is awesome, rey is awesome. don't care for much else.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
After recent Disney Plus rewatches

Best to Worst

Empire
Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Nov 23, 2017
1. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
3. Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
4. Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
5. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
6. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
7. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
8. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

If IX turns out to be great and doesn't mess with VIII then I can see both movies appearing in the top 4 for me. Rogue One and Solo slot in below Revenge of the Sith and above The Phantom Menace.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
5 > 6 > 4 > 8 = 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 = 1

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
1. The Last Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. A New Hope
5. Rogue One
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Solo
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

You can't be trusted as a human if your bottom three aren't all of the prequels, regardless of the order.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
[Rogue One would go here if included]
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith
[Solo would go here if included]
7. Phantom Menance
8. Attack of the Clones

Attack of the Clones manages to be poor in every possible respect. It's largely forgettable, any parts you do remember are poorly written and directed, the whole plot is a shambles, and, by chasing the latest in whizzy CGI tech, it actually manages to have aged quicker than the prequels.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. The Empire Strikes Back - This is not only my favorite Star Wars movie but just my favorite movie, ever. Love it.
2. The Last Jedi - This film is great and anyone ranking it below any of the prequels just doesn't get what Star Wars is about
3. Star Wars - The original. Amazing
4. The Force Awakens - A little to familiar but I get what they were going for. The different emotional context makes it so the similar beats don't bother me.
5. Return of the Jedi - That third act saves this film for me.
5. Revenge/Phantom - Both about equal in their bad dialogue and me still enjoying them somewhat anyway.
7. Attack of the Clones - Whew boy this is tough re-watch whenever I go through everything again

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Last Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Solo
7. Rogue One
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

2 and 3 may switch depending on how I'm feeling any given day.

Starphanluke

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 15, 2017
1. The Last Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. A New Hope
6. Solo
7. Rogue One
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Empire Strikes Back
Force Awakens
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return Of The Jedi
Revenge Of The Sith
Last Jedi
Solo
Attack Of The Clones
Phantom Menace

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Ban everyone who ranks The Last Jedi under any prequels from posting in Star Wars threads and the world will be a better place.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017

I like the prequels, i like worldbuilding, context, the senate stuff, the whole Anakin-arc, etc. Rogue One would sit comfortably at 2nd or 3rd place when counted amongst the main saga.

I would be interested in hearing a defence for attack of the clones.

Whole Clone Wars-beginning offers immense context for the transfer republic-empire. Makes the transition regarding optics of soldiers and vehicles as well as changing politics and the sith-coup believable. Jango Fett was cool as hell. Loved seeing a more active Jedi order (like in all those Legends stories about the Jedi-Sith wars etc.). When it came out, i was 14. And i really liked the love story aspects, cheesy as they may be. And Anakin was a cool "flawed" character to root for as a teen. Also Yoda light saber battle. It was huge at the time.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Personally for me, ranking only on my personal enjoyment

5 > 4 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 8 > 7

With 4 5 and 6 I'll rewatch them annually, might watch 3 and 1 if I'm in a binge mode, and probably won't ever watch 2 7 or 8 ever again

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Come on, guys. This is a list thread.
Do Not Create: List Threads

A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. For example: Asking members to rank their favorite characters in media. These threads tend not to generate much, if any, actual discussion or member interaction. Voting threads (threads that solicit ballot-style replies) will usually fall under this category as well, unless a lot of effort is put into them. If you wish to create a voting thread, please contact an Administrator to seek approval beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.