• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Ranma 1/2 30th anniversary anime retrospective, all 7 seasons, 3 movies, 11 OVA, and 161 episodes (ongoing).

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Season 4, I feel like I missed and episode and I'm confused and hopefully someone can help. When my HS friend got me into Ranma, one of the VHS tapes I borrowed from him was an episode where Akane gets lost in the mountains and meets an isolated young man who takes care of her. He lives near some kind of special water spring and when Akane cooks with it, it magically makes her food delicious. When Ranma finds her and tries her cooking he goes "This is..! THIS IS...! (then flatly) Wow it's actually tasty. Pretty good, even." The thing is, Season 4 is when Ranma changes VAs to Richard Cox and I KNOW this episode had his original VA in it. This was a good 20 years ago, so sorry for the lack of details. Was this an OVA that isn't on Hulu or something? Or is it a future episode that has the original VA?
It's been a while, so I can't recall the specific episode. But the OVAs were dubbed alongside the early seasons and feature the original cast. The first 2 even feature Brigitta Dau instead of Venus Terzo as female Ranma.

NeonZ

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of one-off jokes in this series that have aged poorly, but this entire episode is a DUMPSTER FIRE. Do not waste your time, skip it, pretend it doesn't exist. The anime mostly does after it's over (as far as I remember, the manga however has Tsubasa as a recurring character and it doesn't get much better)
Actually, Tsubasa soon disappears in the manga, but becomes a recurring character in the anime later. It's just the manga pretty much introduced Tsubasa 2.0 later on, Konatsu, as Ukyo's obvious pairing (like Akari for Ryoga) and that one becomes a recurring character. Konatsu like Akari is pretty much a "perfect" pairing though. Konatsu acts like a perfect Nadeshiko (humble, subservient, but also fierce), and although preferring female clothing wears male clothing too when Ukyo asks for it in order to get girls to come to her restaurant.

OP
OP
KojiKnight

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the manga pretty much introduced Tsubasa 2.0 later on, Konatsu, as Ukyo's obvious pairing (like Akari for Ryoga) and that one becomes a recurring character. K
That's what it was, thank you. It's been over a decade since I read the manga (got it lined up for the 35th anniversary of the manga in 2021).

Grunge_Hamster

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I never understood is why Shampoo is set as the main rival for Ranma's affections.

I mean, he seemed to not care about her that much, except for that OVA/arc in the manga which I always thought didn't fit right...

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I never understood is why Shampoo is set as the main rival for Ranma's affections.

I mean, he seemed to not care about her that much, except for that OVA/arc in the manga which I always thought didn't fit right...
Needed a vehicle as well for Cologne to teach Ranma more techniques while creating conflict/shenanigans.

And also there are a much larger cast of chinese characters in the series than I've seen in any other manga, And alot of the designs (clothes, motifs, themes, settings) have a lot of chinese aesthetics. Pretty sure Rumiko was just a big chinaphile at heart and loved to use Shampoo and her cast.

OP
OP
KojiKnight

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds right for a proto-Kagome.

On the topic of shampoo, I'll quote myself from when she first appeared...

Unpopular opinion time, Shampoo is second worst girl. She's a more competent Kodachi, and she doesn't laugh like a maniac... but otherwise they are the same character. They both use dirty tricks to try and harm the other women in Ranma's life, and they also aren't above using dirty tricks to make him love them and only them. In fact, in some ways Kodachi is the better written one, since at least her single minded obsession seems to have started in a genuine place and not simply a strict adherence to amazon law. Grandma Cologne is a better girl than Shampoo, but we'll be getting to her soon enough.
Shampoo is a lot of peoples favorite because of her design and the fact that she's the second mostly likely female character to be naked/sexualized after female Ranma... At least that's the only reason I can come up with, otherwise she's as I said, just a more plot relevant Kodachi.

Grunge_Hamster

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And also there are a much larger cast of chinese characters in the series than I've seen in any other manga, And alot of the designs (clothes, motifs, themes, settings) have a lot of chinese aesthetics. Pretty sure Rumiko was just a big chinaphile at heart and loved to use Shampoo and her cast.
What I really like are the pun names for the Chinese characters.
About Shampoo, her name is Xian Pu, right? So her first name is Pu?

CapricornAKG

Aug 14, 2019
^^ Yeah!

The second scene is one the best/funniest in the entire anime.

On the subject of Shampoo, I like her because of her design, and how evil she as it always brings laughs for the most part. Though I think she goes too far in how she treats Mousse. I mean give the guy a break. He's shown he'd never take advantage even when he has the chance.

Zerokoolpsx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never really got into Ranma. I remember asking a friend about it and he told me there was a love triangle and their transformation when exposed to water. Not sure if it even holds up today. Might give it a watch, but still on the fence.
I'm guessing its another coming of age story?

If its anything like Inuyasha, then maybe it dragged on too long.

Pata Hikari

Jan 15, 2018

It's entirely the anime writers trying to make Ranma 1/2 into a harem anime.

And the Reversal Jewel arc is pretty much entirely Ranma's ego rather than any affection for Shampoo.
Yup. Not as cold an insecure as Akane, not as insanely jealous as Shampoo.
Except Akane isn't cold and insecure at all and Shampoo isn't jealous?

Grunge_Hamster

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never really got into Ranma. I remember asking a friend about it and he told me there was a love triangle and their transformation when exposed to water. Not sure if it even holds up today. Might give it a watch, but still on the fence.
Please check out OP's recommendation if you can!
Ryoga & Akane: 2-Gether, 4-Ever: This episode is not the best episode in the series by a long shot, but what this episode is, is the encapsulation of every major concept to the series. If you had a friend that's never heard of Ranma, and they wanted to see a single episode to know if this series was for them this is it. (...) Not only does it cover all of the bases, it's a pretty funny episode in general!
It's episode 42. If you do please report back here :D
OP also recommended to follow up with episode 43 if you enjoyed it!

Choppasmith

Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sounds right for a proto-Kagome.

On the topic of shampoo, I'll quote myself from when she first appeared...

Shampoo is a lot of peoples favorite because of her design and the fact that she's the second mostly likely female character to be naked/sexualized after female Ranma... At least that's the only reason I can come up with, otherwise she's as I said, just a more plot relevant Kodachi.
When you posted this the first time, I wanted to fire back, but honestly I couldn't find a good reason to retort with. I just think she's cute *shrug*. Even her deviousness has a certain allure to it.

I'm guessing its another coming of age story?

If its anything like Inuyasha, then maybe it dragged on too long.
I remember being so excited for Inuyasha as a follow-up to Ranma. But then that back and forth that DRAGGED ON got so tiresome. Takahashi wanted to something more action oriented and it just doesn't quite work. There's action in Ranma, but it's MUCH more comical and slapstick.

OP
OP
KojiKnight

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
So watch episode 42 without watching all the prior ones?
All you need to know is Ranma turns into a girl when he gets splashed by cold water, and returns with hot water. Otherwise, you'll pick up the rest as the episode goes. I wouldn't recommend watching it, and then ignoring everything prior, but if you enjoyed that episode, or found it at least interesting, then you can go back and watch everything else.

I say this only because the first few episodes are pretty slow and the main concepts of the show don't really kick in till later.