• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Season 4, I feel like I missed and episode and I'm confused and hopefully someone can help. When my HS friend got me into Ranma, one of the VHS tapes I borrowed from him was an episode where Akane gets lost in the mountains and meets an isolated young man who takes care of her. He lives near some kind of special water spring and when Akane cooks with it, it magically makes her food delicious. When Ranma finds her and tries her cooking he goes "This is..! THIS IS...! (then flatly) Wow it's actually tasty. Pretty good, even." The thing is, Season 4 is when Ranma changes VAs to Richard Cox and I KNOW this episode had his original VA in it. This was a good 20 years ago, so sorry for the lack of details. Was this an OVA that isn't on Hulu or something? Or is it a future episode that has the original VA?
It's been a while, so I can't recall the specific episode. But the OVAs were dubbed alongside the early seasons and feature the original cast. The first 2 even feature Brigitta Dau instead of Venus Terzo as female Ranma.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of one-off jokes in this series that have aged poorly, but this entire episode is a DUMPSTER FIRE. Do not waste your time, skip it, pretend it doesn't exist. The anime mostly does after it's over (as far as I remember, the manga however has Tsubasa as a recurring character and it doesn't get much better)

Actually, Tsubasa soon disappears in the manga, but becomes a recurring character in the anime later. It's just the manga pretty much introduced Tsubasa 2.0 later on, Konatsu, as Ukyo's obvious pairing (like Akari for Ryoga) and that one becomes a recurring character. Konatsu like Akari is pretty much a "perfect" pairing though. Konatsu acts like a perfect Nadeshiko (humble, subservient, but also fierce), and although preferring female clothing wears male clothing too when Ukyo asks for it in order to get girls to come to her restaurant.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the manga pretty much introduced Tsubasa 2.0 later on, Konatsu, as Ukyo's obvious pairing (like Akari for Ryoga) and that one becomes a recurring character. K
That's what it was, thank you. It's been over a decade since I read the manga (got it lined up for the 35th anniversary of the manga in 2021).

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^^ Yeah!
hqdefault.jpg

DmcnZc2.jpg

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I never understood is why Shampoo is set as the main rival for Ranma's affections.

I mean, he seemed to not care about her that much, except for that OVA/arc in the manga which I always thought didn't fit right...

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I never understood is why Shampoo is set as the main rival for Ranma's affections.

I mean, he seemed to not care about her that much, except for that OVA/arc in the manga which I always thought didn't fit right...

Needed a vehicle as well for Cologne to teach Ranma more techniques while creating conflict/shenanigans.

And also there are a much larger cast of chinese characters in the series than I've seen in any other manga, And alot of the designs (clothes, motifs, themes, settings) have a lot of chinese aesthetics. Pretty sure Rumiko was just a big chinaphile at heart and loved to use Shampoo and her cast.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds right for a proto-Kagome.

On the topic of shampoo, I'll quote myself from when she first appeared...

Unpopular opinion time, Shampoo is second worst girl. She's a more competent Kodachi, and she doesn't laugh like a maniac... but otherwise they are the same character. They both use dirty tricks to try and harm the other women in Ranma's life, and they also aren't above using dirty tricks to make him love them and only them. In fact, in some ways Kodachi is the better written one, since at least her single minded obsession seems to have started in a genuine place and not simply a strict adherence to amazon law. Grandma Cologne is a better girl than Shampoo, but we'll be getting to her soon enough.

Shampoo is a lot of peoples favorite because of her design and the fact that she's the second mostly likely female character to be naked/sexualized after female Ranma... At least that's the only reason I can come up with, otherwise she's as I said, just a more plot relevant Kodachi.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And also there are a much larger cast of chinese characters in the series than I've seen in any other manga, And alot of the designs (clothes, motifs, themes, settings) have a lot of chinese aesthetics. Pretty sure Rumiko was just a big chinaphile at heart and loved to use Shampoo and her cast.
What I really like are the pun names for the Chinese characters.
About Shampoo, her name is Xian Pu, right? So her first name is Pu?

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
^^ Yeah!
hqdefault.jpg

DmcnZc2.jpg

The second scene is one the best/funniest in the entire anime.

On the subject of Shampoo, I like her because of her design, and how evil she as it always brings laughs for the most part. Though I think she goes too far in how she treats Mousse. I mean give the guy a break. He's shown he'd never take advantage even when he has the chance.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never really got into Ranma. I remember asking a friend about it and he told me there was a love triangle and their transformation when exposed to water. Not sure if it even holds up today. Might give it a watch, but still on the fence.
I'm guessing its another coming of age story?

If its anything like Inuyasha, then maybe it dragged on too long.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018

It's entirely the anime writers trying to make Ranma 1/2 into a harem anime.

And the Reversal Jewel arc is pretty much entirely Ranma's ego rather than any affection for Shampoo.
Yup. Not as cold an insecure as Akane, not as insanely jealous as Shampoo.
Except Akane isn't cold and insecure at all and Shampoo isn't jealous?

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never really got into Ranma. I remember asking a friend about it and he told me there was a love triangle and their transformation when exposed to water. Not sure if it even holds up today. Might give it a watch, but still on the fence.
Please check out OP's recommendation if you can!
Ryoga & Akane: 2-Gether, 4-Ever: This episode is not the best episode in the series by a long shot, but what this episode is, is the encapsulation of every major concept to the series. If you had a friend that's never heard of Ranma, and they wanted to see a single episode to know if this series was for them this is it. (...) Not only does it cover all of the bases, it's a pretty funny episode in general!

It's episode 42. If you do please report back here :D
OP also recommended to follow up with episode 43 if you enjoyed it!

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sounds right for a proto-Kagome.

On the topic of shampoo, I'll quote myself from when she first appeared...

Shampoo is a lot of peoples favorite because of her design and the fact that she's the second mostly likely female character to be naked/sexualized after female Ranma... At least that's the only reason I can come up with, otherwise she's as I said, just a more plot relevant Kodachi.

When you posted this the first time, I wanted to fire back, but honestly I couldn't find a good reason to retort with. I just think she's cute *shrug*. Even her deviousness has a certain allure to it.

I'm guessing its another coming of age story?

If its anything like Inuyasha, then maybe it dragged on too long.

I remember being so excited for Inuyasha as a follow-up to Ranma. But then that back and forth that DRAGGED ON got so tiresome. Takahashi wanted to something more action oriented and it just doesn't quite work. There's action in Ranma, but it's MUCH more comical and slapstick.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So watch episode 42 without watching all the prior ones?
All you need to know is Ranma turns into a girl when he gets splashed by cold water, and returns with hot water. Otherwise, you'll pick up the rest as the episode goes. I wouldn't recommend watching it, and then ignoring everything prior, but if you enjoyed that episode, or found it at least interesting, then you can go back and watch everything else.

I say this only because the first few episodes are pretty slow and the main concepts of the show don't really kick in till later.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching some episodes...

I really like how cool Ryoga and Ukyo look in their different outfits. They are both quite versatile.

ry6lj07.jpg

0046b05a1cb698eb730788c3e9156ecc.jpg

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 digital version is currently on sale for $5 on iTunes and Amazon. I used my slow shipping digital credits I had stored up and got it for free. It looks really nice in HD!

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading some interviews with Rumiko Takahashi featured in some recent Ranma 1/2 reprints.
Translated here: https://kanabits.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/the-making-of-ranma-interview-archive/
Interesting stuff:

The Making of Ranma, Part 1: Ranma Saotome

— So the basic idea is water turns Ranma into a woman, and hot water turns him back into a man. Where did this come from?

Takahashi: I was looking for a way to make it possible for him to be able to go back and forth between genders. I came up with a number of ideas along the way, but in the end, nothing was very entertaining.

— Was the idea of Ranma's gender-bending there from the beginning?

Takahashi: It was, but I just couldn't figure out how he would do so. But then I had a kind of vision of a bath-house's cloth entrance sign.

— You didn't actually see the sign with your own eyes.

Takahashi: No, I didn't. It just kind of popped into my head.

— And why did you decide to make it a martial arts story?

Takahashi: Gender-bending was the starting point. Then, the idea of water turning Ranma into a woman and hot water turning him back into a man. Next, I had to decide where this gender-bending ability would come from. This led to the idea of a cursed spring, and when I thought where you might find one, I thought of China. And when I thought of China, I thought of martial arts. It all kind of came to gather in that order.

— So the gender-bending was the basis, and the martial arts was added later.

Takahashi: That's right. Once the water and hot water thing was decided, everything else became a lot easier. Also with the idea that if you almost drown yourself in Jusenkyo, you could become just about anything.

— How did you come up with Ranma's character design?

Takahashi: This also got a lot easier after I decided on the gender-bending and Jusenkyo being in China. The traditional Chinese clothes I chose are surprisingly unisex. And China also made me think of ponytails, which again work with both genders.

— Ranma's ponytail is pretty iconic.

Takahashi: Exactly. I knew I wanted him to have one. Or perhaps it was more that I wanted readers to see that ponytail and, whether the ponytail was attached to a boy or a girl, immediately know they were looking at Ranma. Picking China as an influence was a great choice.

Part 2: Ryoga Hibiki
His terrible sense of direction is what made him so strong?!

— Ryoga is self-taught, but he's pretty strong.

Takahashi: In the world of Ranma 1/2, all characters are gifted martial artists.

— He also has a terrible sense of direction.

Takahashi: In the beginning I brainstormed a number of defining characteristics for him—for example, him being awkward around women—but nothing really made for a good character. But one day I was thinking how wonderful people are who, regardless of their mistakes, can keep moving forward in life, and from that, I decided to give him a terrible sense of direction. Along with that, I could do gags with souvenirs of his travels and other stuff and I think it worked out really well. Oh and, going back to what you said about Ryoga being so strong despite being self taught…don't you think he got that way because his experiences getting lost, wandering and camping out in the wilderness are what toughened him up? I mean, he wouldn't be able to find his way home even if he wanted to!

— Speaking of which, Ryoga's home is surprisingly normal.

Takahashi: I dunno, it just felt like that's how it should be.

— And his dog's design is quite something.

Takahashi: Yeah, I love that design.There's no way a dog like that could exist, which is why I thought it was such a perfect choice.

— Did you create Ryoga with the purpose of him being a rival to Ranma?

Takahashi: Well, at the time I thought it would be nice if it worked out that way. I had a number of Kuno-like characters there from the beginning, but Ryoga was the best choice for a rival, as he seemed to me the most likely to be able to remain one until the end. At the very least, I wanted him to be more than just a minor character who made guest appearances here and there.

— Because he's such a good character.

Takahashi: I worked hard to make him so.

— All the good characters end up falling in cursed springs, don't they?

Takahashi: I made sure in the beginning, especially, that the cursed springs would stay a part of the story and continue influencing its direction. The springs are really what Ranma 1/2 is all about.

— Why did you choose to make Ryoga a black pig?

Takahashi: I had already decided on making him a pig. Because when you think of Chinese food, you think of pork. But, no matter what, I wanted the design to be cute, and Meishan pigs (the breed used for China's highest quality pork) are definitely not. So I made him a black pig instead.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think I heard that her original idea was for Ranma to transform after every hit he took but then she realized that could get out of control.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I heard that her original idea was for Ranma transform after every hit he took but then she realized that could get out of control.
I remember reading the same, battle sequences would have been quite the sight to behold :v

Anyway, I've been falling into the Ranma rabbit hole due to YouTube, and this DoCo song with Ranma boy-type instead of girl-type is so funny :v

Also Kodachi singing ED1

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Konatsu like Akari is pretty much a "perfect" pairing though
Reading some manga bits... That seems the case but...
Am I letting my bias act or is Akari really a boring character? She is basically Ryoga's Shampoo without conflict, or really anything going on...
latest

She doesn't play off with Ryoga's traits at all. She basically kills Ryouga's predicament since she's so submissive.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Am I letting my bias act or is Akari really a boring character? She is basically Ryoga's Shampoo without conflict, or really anything going on...
She doesn't play off with Ryoga's traits at all. She basically kills Ryouga's predicament since she's so submissive.

That's why I added the quotation marks. They're characters created to basically eliminate conflict, and it's pretty obvious. It wasn't really done naturally at all and their existence generally doesn't really add much to the series.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
latest

She is so boring. Ukyo x Ryoga is where its at

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
That's why I added the quotation marks. They're characters created to basically eliminate conflict, and it's pretty obvious. It wasn't really done naturally at all and their existence generally doesn't really add much to the series.

Actually, yes they do add to the series. They're both fun characters and definitely add "conflict."

Konatsu in particular is hilarious with her absurd competence mixed with total lack of self esteem and negative knowlege on finances.

They both would have been great if the series had continued longer.

She is so boring. Ukyo x Ryoga is where its at

Except they barely interact and only team up to try and engaged in some scheme to break up Ranma and Akane.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ukyo x Ryoga is where its at
#facts

tumblr_inline_p60a4sDZXk1us4glh_1280.jpg

Ryoga really needed a character to play off his insecurity, someone harder to cut off his helpless romantic (and deceivious) side...

Honestly, Ukyo would have been ideal for that (At least in the anime side) since, being a loner herself, she has shown the desire to have someone who actually learns to love her and all, but isn't afraid to call that person out when necessary.

And she actually doesn't care about the Jusenkyo curse at all!

They can be given growth together, unlike with Akari and Konatsu...

Like, I want to write a whole wall of text about this, a fanfic, dunno >:v

What do you think particularly of Konatsu?

At least from him, I think they added some interesting traits, like being stingy or a bad Okonomiyaki cook and terrible at business practices.
But yeah, totally added too late to close some pending threads, so there is nothing much going on. Maybe originally was Tsubasa intended to be the Mousse for Ukyo? (But the manga author didn't like it at all)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Except they barely interact and only team up to try and engaged in some scheme to break up Ranma and Akane.

Ukyo x Ryouga is a thing with the fandom mostly due to the anime, where they make Ukyo more "normal" rather than another crazy aggressive fiancée and also team them up a couple of extra times in filler, even sometimes unrelated to devious schemes, like in movie 2.

What do you think particularly of Konatsu?

At least from him, I think they added some interesting traits, like being stingy or a bad Okonomiyaki cook and terrible at business practices.
But yeah, totally added too late to close some pending threads, so there is nothing much going on. Maybe originally was Tsubasa intended to be the Mousse for Ukyo? (But the manga author didn't like it at all)

Konatsu works better as an humorous addition than Akari, but still feels like a character only created to close loose ends... although neither Akari nor Konatsu really do that either since at the time of Ranma Rumiko really seemed to think that any serious development would go against the comedic spirit of the series.

I remember reading an interview where she outright stated that (serious development would go against comedy) although talking about a different matter (characters not aging in spite of the seasons changing in real time), but I couldn't find the interview in a quick search.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Ukyo x Ryouga is a thing with the fandom mostly due to the anime, where they make Ukyo more "normal" rather than another crazy aggressive fiancée and also team them up a couple of extra times in filler, even sometimes unrelated to devious schemes, like in movie 2.

Yeah totally. The anime writers didn't know what they were doing.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Konatsu works better as an humorous addition than Akari, but still feels like a character only created to close loose ends... although neither Akari nor Konatsu really do that either since at the time of Ranma Rumiko really seemed to think that any serious development would go against the comedic spirit of the series.

I remember reading an interview where she outright stated that (serious development would go against comedy) although talking about a different matter (characters not aging in spite of the seasons changing in real time), but I couldn't find the interview in a quick search.
Thanks for the response.
I will try to search for it as well, seems an interesting interview.

I think Akari feels from a much "normal" manga, she needed another funny trait... Dunno.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I personally like anime Ukyo more than manga Ukyo as later she just becomes Shampoo 2.0 basically.
Ukyo never "becomes Shampoo 2.0" she was always a crazy obsessive antagonist or did you forget she decided to pretend to be a man for a decade over some girls teasing her when she was 6 to take revenge on something Ranma didn't even do. Only to immediately snap to "Going to marry you" when Ranma called her cute once.

Also she was always the most unstably violent.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Love this series, had most of the volumes when i was a kid.
I remember very well a chapter where Happosai meets his rival and all they disputed on was a technique to make a copy of someone's breasts or something lol

Won't lie though this was probably the first series with a "waifu" effect on me, as i was probably less than 12 and thought every girl was so freaking hot.

Female Ranma was probably my 1st anime crush: hot, redhead, feisty, knew martial arts, and was often naked. Didn't even care if it was a man.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ukyo never "becomes Shampoo 2.0" she was always a crazy obsessive antagonist or did you forget she decided to pretend to be a man for a decade over some girls teasing her when she was 6 to take revenge on something Ranma didn't even do. Only to immediately snap to "Going to marry you" when Ranma called her cute once.

Also she was always the most unstably violent.
Shampoo fits that more. I mean, Ukyo was the only fiance Ranma treated as a friend