• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a handful of random episodes + season 1 of the anime, but I read the entire manga. God I wish modern anime handled anime tropes half as well as this show does, which isn't amazing, but it's perfectly bearable at worst. I appreciate that it left a lot to interpretation rather than spelling everything out for you, ex. Ranma's evolving perception of his curse, Akane's relationship with each of Ranma's fiancees and how it can shift via situational context from casual friendship to complete loathing, etc.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't watched Ranma in forever.

What's the best movie or OVA? No time for any nostalgic rewatch, but a movie is good enough.

The OVAs are episode length, actually, not movie length. They're generally great adaptations of a good selection of later manga chapters (well, they miss any of the serious battle arcs, but outside of that are good choices). Movie 1 is kind of bland, but movie 2 has great animation at least and features the entire main cast.

Last edited:

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
This retrospective has been an excellent read so far! Thanks so much for taking the time to do all of this, it's great seeing a series I loved so much as a kid getting this kind of attention.

I actually cosplayed Ranma earlier this year to celebrate the 30th anniversary; it was a TON of fun and I wanna do it again soon!

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty Womanhood is an amazing episode in Season 3, and then Oh Cursed Tunnel of Lost Love, an OVA, as well as An Akane to Remember.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Long hair Akane was bae.

Shampoo though... Oof. The best.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Ranma 1/2 holds a nostalgic bit in my heart. Recently revisited it and it certainly holds up. Everyone is horrible or stupid and it's hilarious.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the greats.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Also, I don't think any show's ED made you feel as sad it was over as this one.

It radiates melancholy. It's also my benchmark for how I do song subtitles: lyrics to match the JP ones in tone and rhyme.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Dang I just keep regretting cancelling Hulu. Will have to check it out again when I inevitably resubscribe, I loved Ranma 1/2 as a kid. I remember getting into it though "VCDs" which were like just people pirating and selling me shitty quality videos, I bought a bunch as I was getting into Toonami but honestly barely remember anything of any of those shows. My stepdad was like I don't think these are legit and I was just like sure they are!

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
One of the few animes I still remember fondly back when I was on my anime kick. Ryoga Hibiki was (and still is) one of my all-time favourite characters in fiction.

Wanna ask though, with all of Ranma's love interests, was it considered a harem anime back in the day? I couldn't stand watching most shows that had that moniker, but I had no problem going through seasons worth of this one.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I care to revisit the content of the show, but the opening and ending songs are really good.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a couple years back i randomly binged Ranma, but never finished it.

A ton of episodes were on youtube for some reason and I'd watch a couple before bed. I loved what i saw though. I think i stopped around the time male Ranma's voice actor changed in the dub.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite old school mangas/Animes.

Im still waiting for them to make a new version like they did with Jojo and Sailor Moon so they can finally adapt the full manga for once.

It also seems it started airing in Mexico and Latin america on public television so there's tons and tons of new latino fans just discovering Ranma for the first time.

There was also some really great animation for the time.

Also loved the fact there were dedicated VAs for Male and Female Ranma.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
You misspelled Shampoo.

Nope.

A ton of episodes were on youtube for some reason and I'd watch a couple before bed. I loved what i saw though. I think i stopped around the time male Ranma's voice actor changed in the dub.

This was the worst. Sarah Strange was an amazing Male Ranma voice. At least she was able to record her voice for all the OVAs and Movies in addition to the first three seasons.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

It radiates melancholy. It's also my benchmark for how I do song subtitles: lyrics to match the JP ones in tone and rhyme.

This and the second ending theme are seared into my memory. My buddy had the old clamshell Viz VHS tapes for the first series and we must have worn those things out.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Nope.

This was the worst. Sarah Strange was an amazing Male Ranma voice. At least she was able to record her voice for all the OVAs and Movies in addition to the first three seasons.

I think I ended up sticking it out for a season after that, but I really couldn't get used to the change. It doesn't help that by that time the formula was feeling pretty stale to me, but I'd already went ahead and watched the OVAs and movies, not knowing that I still had 47 seasons to go through.

Also, shout out to Venus Terzo, I really liked her as female Ranma.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved Ranma, bought all the tapes up to Season 5 or so (too expensive), bought a DVD made in Spain that I could only watch on a laptop because of region locking.

But I never finished the series or manga, lol

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This series could benefit from a modern day reboot. I rewatched some of it and it just hasn't aged well.

There probably only will be any kind of reboot of Rumiko Takahashi's past works when she retires. She always pushes adaptations of her current series rather than older ones. Ranma does have the issue though that any reboot likely would just adapt the manga closely, but the first two seasons of the anime are already pretty close to the manga with only a few additions (like the first season for example adds some scenes to connect one story to the next one, while they were episodic from the start in the manga).

They'd really need a fairly lengthy series to go past the original anime's stories.

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I think I ended up sticking it out for a season after that, but I really couldn't get used to the change. It doesn't help that by that time the formula was feeling pretty stale to me, but I'd already went ahead and watched the OVAs and movies, not knowing that I still had 47 seasons to go through.

Also, shout out to Venus Terzo, I really liked her as female Ranma.

It's a really fantastic English voice cast, Miriam as Akane, Venus like you mentioned, Kuno, everyone was great, this was perhaps even my favorite Dub ever. It's another Spectacular sub too, especially with Megumi Hayashibara as Female Ranma, but great dubs are few and far between so made the choice easier. (Oh and the VHS for Subtitles were 5 dollars extra for some reason? haha)

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
It's a really fantastic English voice cast, maybe even my favorite Dub ever. It's another Spectacular sub too, especially with Megumi Hayashibara as Female Ranma, but great dubs are few and far between so made the choice easier. (Oh and the VHS for Subtitles were 5 dollars extra for some reason? haha)

Yeah, the whole cast was really great. Shampoo and Ryoga I liked particularly as well. Ian Corlett as Dr Tofu was probably the first time I recognized a voice actor in a different role (Goku in the original Dub).

On the subs costing more - I remember this, and didn't question it back when I was still buying Evangelion on VHS when ADV released them. At the time I thought it sort of made sense but now I'm like... "The version that required a full set of voice new voice actors was LESS expensive than putting text over the bottom of the footage? What?"

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017

That's interesting. As I recall, at the time the script adapter got a fair amount of grief for not providing a fully literal translation of the Japanese lyrics.

On the subs costing more - I remember this, and didn't question it back when I was still buying Evangelion on VHS when ADV released them. At the time I thought it sort of made sense but now I'm like... "The version that required a full set of voice new voice actors was LESS expensive than putting text over the bottom of the footage? What?"
Dub tapes typically outsold sub ones by quite a margin, so there was economies of scale involved. But when it came to Ranma, at least early on, I think the sub tapes had an additional episode as well as liner notes and slightly nicer packaging.

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a lull from season 4 to about the end of season 6 where the show just feels like it's treading water. But the quality shoots back up before the series finishes

I still can't stand any episodes about martial arts tea tho. They all suck.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: the OVAs are better than the actual series, and you don't even really need to watch the series to enjoy Ranma.

That's not even a Hot Take, it's Truth. Even though I love the first 3 seasons, the OVAs were amazing.

Like Water for Ranma, One Crew Over the Kuno's Nest, with the Higher budget, each episode was a delight to watch. I actually had gotten people into Ranma for showing them Cursed Tunnel of Lost Love first. lol

Yeah, the whole cast was really great. Shampoo and Ryoga I liked particularly as well. Ian Corlett as Dr Tofu was probably the first time I recognized a voice actor in a different role (Goku in the original Dub).

Yep! Dr. Tofu was great and I loved Ian James Corlett as Goku, even though Sean Schemel is also amazing. Was great to hear a lot of the Ocean fellows back with this.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was familiar with this as a teen and had seen maybe bits and pieces back then in the 90s but had little recollection of it beyond just that it was a thing. I started doing a watch on Hulu maybe two years ago.. I'm up into the 50s but kind of petered out, but it's still incredibly enjoyable. The characters are all very funny in their own right and every episode is enjoyable. I watched a lot of Inuyasha back in that era as well so I have an appreciation for Takahashi's stories/design.

I think I read that Ranma and Akane maybe never actually get married? Or maybe they come close to doing so in one of the movies? Some day I'll continue to watch more in earnest but I sure wish the will they/won't they didn't last so long!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching Ranma, Chicho Terremoto (dash Kappei) and Sailor Moon on Antena3 before going to school in the 90's. Those were the good times.
RIP Manolita Dominguez :( (singer of the Ranma OP in Spain, and also a lot of other anime OPs here)

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

That was how I binged it too. Like there was at least one or two channels dedicated solely as archives. Shame they (and all the comments) are gone but when Viz started rereleasing the writing was on the wall.

And I'd say male Ranma's VA funnily marks around the point that the show started dipping. Cox's voice already came off as a downgrade compared both to Strange's earlier performance and to his later performance as Inuyasha, but even then the series at that point had lost whatever sense of momentum it had and just chugged along as a pure gag comedy.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ranma was my favorite manga as a kid. I've never managed to watch the anime. They never managed to get to the Herb arc, did they?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, the whole cast was really great.
I prefer subs by a wide margin, but I really like the Ranma dub. The VAs sound natural in their roles, with a western sounding delivery for the character types. It's the sweet spot between early effort-free dubs, or later on when anime started taking off and English VAs started to mimic the delivery of the Japanese VAs.

It wasn't the subbing itself that was expensive, it was the physical production and distribution costs. They sold a whole lot fewer subs than dubs, so they had to markup the price to justify a production run.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ranma was my childhood. I love this anime so much. Fav character is Ryoga
I like the anime more, manga gets too mean spirited IMO

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Love Ranma 1/2. It was my first anime/manga and it still holds a special place in my heart to this day, despite some elements not aging well (looking at you, Happosai). I was always blown away by how the series could get you to become so invested in these largely ridiculous martial arts battles.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the subbing itself that was expensive, it was the physical production and distribution costs. They sold a whole lot fewer subs than dubs, so they had to markup the price to justify a production run.
The original sub VHS tapes had an extra episode compared to the dub, that's where the value was from. I remember heavily pining for those tapes back in the day and I almost bought at few and that was the selling point that nearly pushed me over the edge for the sub. (I think it was 2 episodes versus 3, which was a HUGE value proposition)

I think it's wildly agreed that the point when Sarah stopped doing the dub was when the show went off a cliff. It sure got me to stop watching.
I have watched it all, but yeah original Ranma voice was definitely superior. It was the 'perfect storm' of extended lul, change in VA, and a notable drop in animation quality itself (which I'll get into in more depth when the time comes), etc that a lot of people gave up on. I didn't hate Richard Cox, I just don't think he worked as a mid-series replacement... just way too different of a voice.
That's interesting. As I recall, at the time the script adapter got a fair amount of grief for not providing a fully literal translation of the Japanese lyrics.
Trans-literalists are dumb. Unless you're working on a legal document, it's the absolute worst way to handle a translation that a living, breathing, human is going to take in. I was subbing anime in early 00's and I had quite a few disagreements with our editing team over stuff like that.

I'd argue the best part of the song translations is that you could just sing them along with the music and it'd match up. It means that English speakers could in fact sing along even if they didn't know any Japanese and thus experience the whole package (versus having background music to read random sentences to)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yup. Not as cold an insecure as Akane, not as insanely jealous as Shampoo.
God I wish modern anime handled anime tropes half as well as this show does, which isn't amazing, but it's perfectly bearable at worst. I appreciate that it left a lot to interpretation rather than spelling everything out for you, ex. Ranma's evolving perception of his curse, Akane's relationship with each of Ranma's fiancees and how it can shift via situational context from casual friendship to complete loathing, etc.
Between Ranma 1/2 and Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm convinced women are far better shonen writers than men in this regard. Like night and day.

One of the few animes I still remember fondly back when I was on my anime kick. Ryoga Hibiki was (and still is) one of my all-time favourite characters in fiction.

Wanna ask though, with all of Ranma's love interests, was it considered a harem anime back in the day? I couldn't stand watching most shows that had that moniker, but I had no problem going through seasons worth of this one.
In a period of my life that is embarrassing to look back on, I dressed as Ryoga at the first anime convention I went to. That was in 1997.

Anime c.1989 was developing the traits that would develop into "harem" anime, but in this case the intention was Ranma's scheming dad putting him in a very difficult situation. I'm not really a historian, but from my observation it wasn't until Tenchi Muyo that the harem format really solidified. Oh My Goddess was sorta proto-harem.

Love Ranma 1/2. It was my first anime/manga and it still holds a special place in my heart to this day, despite some elements not aging well (looking at you, Happosai). I was always blown away by how the series could get you to become so invested in these largely ridiculous martial arts battles.
Happosai, like Master Roshi, was an unfortunate product of his time.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yup. Not as cold an insecure as Akane, not as insanely jealous as Shampoo.

Between Ranma 1/2 and Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm convinced women are far better shonen writers than men in this regard. Like night and day.

In a period of my life that is embarrassing to look back on, I dressed as Ryoga at the first anime convention I went to. That was in 1997.

Anime c.1989 was developing the traits that would develop into "harem" anime, but in this case the intention was Ranma's scheming dad putting him in a very difficult situation. I'm not really a historian, but from my observation it wasn't until Tenchi Muyo that the harem format really solidified. Oh My Goddess was sorta proto-harem.

Happosai, like Master Roshi, was an unfortunate product of his time.

Too bad Ukyo becomes just as bad as Shampoo in the manga

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Trans-literalists are dumb. Unless you're working on a legal document, it's the absolute worst way to handle a translation that a living, breathing, human is going to take in. I was subbing anime in early 00's and I had quite a few disagreements with our editing team over stuff like that.

I'd argue the best part of the song translations is that you could just sing them along with the music and it'd match up. It means that English speakers could in fact sing along even if they didn't know any Japanese and thus experience the whole package (versus having background music to read random sentences to)

This. Though nowadays, we're lucky to have song translations, period. Nearly every release nowadays doesn't subtitle songs at all, both in games and anime.

Here's another one I did in the 'Viz' subtitling style:

It's no easy feat to make lyrics that match Japanese syllables, which makes it all the more impressive when a translator puts in the work.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The original sub VHS tapes had an extra episode compared to the dub, that's where the value was from. I remember heavily pining for those tapes back in the day and I almost bought at few and that was the selling point that nearly pushed me over the edge for the sub. (I think it was 2 episodes versus 3, which was a HUGE value proposition)
I remember the sub-dub price difference being across the board, though. Most series in the VHS days would release two episodes at a time in both formats to stay in sync.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Too bad Ukyo becomes just as bad as Shampoo in the manga
I eventually fell out of reading the manga due to Viz's glacial release schedule. :/ When Inu Yasha exploded, and they got the rights to Dragon Ball Z, Ranma 1/2 fell to the back burner.

I would kill for a Jump-like digital service, but with Viz's entire back catalogue.

Oct 25, 2017
Richard Cox takes some getting used to and he himself takes a while to fit in the role but honestly I think he's better in the end. He better conveys the Ranma from the japanese original dub with the attitude and tenor of his Ranma.

I like both of them but i think i prefer Richard more after having seen the whole series