• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So this thread is simple but what are your top five favorite rappers either group or solo. This was the first thread I created one GAF and I love seeing people's opinions and finding new artist so I'm doing the same here :)

1. Kendrick Lamar
Damn... This guy can fucking rap. He is a beast and all 4 of his studio albums have been great to masterpiece, with damn having a lot of bangers. The way he switches his voice and flow so effortlessly is a thing of beauty that I respect. Whether it be funky TPAB or gangster Mad city, he is a beast. In discussion for best rap alive as far as I'm concerned.

2. Kanye west
Dude may be nuts but god damn can he make a beat. He may not have the best lyricism but his flow and the way he creates his beats highly make up for it. Hell he created a whole sub genre of rap with 808's. The only album I don't like is Yeezus but even that album has some good songs. This guy just is consistently great.

3. Run the jeweled
These guys are straight fire. While I feel killer mike is the better rapper, el-p makes the best beats in the game. RTJ 3 really cemented them as greats with the way the whole album played off every songs beats and made it seem continuous. They are the definition of bangers.

4. Danny brown
Now this guy use to be a lot higher but I'm not the biggest fan of his new album, aka I really don't like it. Also Old is amazing but the other side isn't my favorite for the album. But holy shit is XXX not the best rap album ever made. It tells such a good story about what it's like to live in Detroit and I just love it. Plus his methepores are the best. Stank puss smellin like cool ranch Doritos.

5. Migos
Allrifht so last time for my trap artist I had ASAP Ferg but now I have seen the light. I still like him but holy shit the migos are what I love about rap. Now I just found out about them so that is why they are so low but culture is an amazing album. They just have so much bangers and have perfected trap. If Hannah Montana or visage don't make you bang your head well then I'm sorry...

So Era as you can tell I'm into new school, but I want to know who you guys are into. Please don't just list tho tell us why :) thank you

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
1 Eminem
2 Slim Shady
3 Marshall Mathers
4 B Rabbit
5 The white guy from D-12.
As a bonus 6 macklemore, and these guys are the only rappers with anything worthwhile to say.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
1. Nas - My brother is what really made me a fan of him. He was his favorite and became mine.
2. Bahamadia - underrated. She has mad flow and strong wordplay.
3. Andre 3000
4. Cunninlynguists
5. Akua Naru

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not much of an oldhead, so my picks are not going to make people happy, but...

NAV
Playboi Carti
XXXTentacion
Lil Xan
Yung Lean

Kanye
Outkast
DOOM
Pusha T
A Tribe Called Quest
Holy shit can't believe I forgot Tribe.

Last edited:

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to do a Top 5, but my two favorite rappers ever are Lupe Fiasco and Joe Budden.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 ever or currently?

Ever:
1. Eminem
2. Biggie
3. Kendrick Lamar
4. Jay z
5. Lupe Fiasco

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
In no real order...

- Jay-Z
- Outkast
- Biggie
- Kendrick Lamar
- Kanye West

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Lil Xan the GOAT.

But, in all honesty, how have you never heard of Yung Lean? The guy who blew up with Yoshi City and Kyoto? His new single is out now, and its a banger.
All have to check it out. I've been listening to lil pump right now and I've been enjoying him. It takes me a while to find new rapper's tho, hince I just found out about migos :O I will listen to the banger on the way back from picking up Mario in a sec.

tintskuecha

Oct 25, 2017
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

But seriously, I don't have a top 5. The only rappers I really got into are Bone Thugs N Harmony, Do or Die, and Twista. I was super into the Midwest circa 2007

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Now or all-time? I'll just do all-time.

Nas
Jay
Biggie
Pac
Wu-Tang(its cheating but whatever)

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's only really meaningful to do this personally, so this is for me the 5(if I gotta pick 5) hip-hop artists that have spoken most to me.

In no particular order, I guess

Scarface
2pac
Andre 3000
Kendrick Lamar
Killer Mike

That's just on a pure, the shit that's in my soul level. "Skill" would be different but I think that also ultimately becomes arbitrary at some point

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
tenor.gif

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's known that any artist with the tag "Lil" is going to be the GOAT.
Lil Yatchy
Lil Wayne
Lil Pump
Lil Xan
Lil Peep
Lil Yeezy (Okay just making this up but my lord Kanye needs to be mentioned 24/7 in any hip-hop thread)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big rap guy so I haven't dabbled a lot into the scene so my opinion may not be worth much, but to me it seems like Kendrick, Eminem and Danny Brown are a cut above the rest. At least for the kind of rap that I enjoy.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Someone mentioned it on the Discord, but that title made me double take.

I agree that Kendrick and Kanye should be in the top five.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
for real, i never clicked with phife's solo like i wanted to, but he was the heart of the team. RIP, that shit hurt me more than GURU did.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
šŸ˜
This is a lot harder than it seems, so many good artists to choose. I'll just list my most listened:

Rakim
Nas
Wu Tang
Gang Starr
Common

Last edited:

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
When picking Wutang i don't count their solo efforts but what they did as a group
Otherwise it'd be unfair

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a Hip Hop Era.

Is this top 5 NOW? or Top 5 all time?

my personal top 5 all time in NO order

Krs - One
Nas
Andre 3000
Common
Black Thought

My Objective top 5 all time NO order

Nas
Jay Z
Tupac
Biggie
Eminem

Objective top 5 NOW in NO ORDER (not my personal feelings....I'd put people like Royce or something like that instead of drake, etc)

Kendrick
J Cole
Drake
Ye
Chance

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now
1. Kendrick
2. Kanye
3. Vince Staples