• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, there seems to be a fair few younger people in here.

Now this is tough. Top 10 is easy but top 5? Ouch.

In no order:
Nas - such a powerful figure.
KRS1 - a real OG.
Kanye - popularised alternative rap.
Kendrick - keeping hip hop alive today.
Doom - interesting flow and perspectives.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Hollywood Undead because I am more into Rock music and I like the variety of music in them. They just released a new album as well called Five but I would recommend the Album Day of The Dead for a stream.

Kendrick Lamar because modern day rap is quite poor just now I feel. I don't know what it is but Lamar is just very good. I need to give Chance the rapper a... Chance as the more I hear about what he does the more I like him.
Outkast because they have a massive amount of hits, and thanks to Andre 3000 the best pop song of the last few decades thanks to Hey Ya!

Eminem because his bursting on to the scene was fantastic and he is very clever with his lyrics.

Busta Rhymes because West Coast rap as it were was my favourite kind, but when Gimmie Some More came out I had to buy Extinction Level Event. He was damn good.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Dub Pistols (they've had many different rappers over the years)
Blackalicious
Lyrics Born
De La Soul
Public Enemy

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Fksn0.jpg

Really the only rap I listen to occasionally is Eminem.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KRS would be in here but that Bambaataa stuff was fucked up so he's off for now (someone tell him, I'm sure he'll be very upset!).

Rakim is the natural replacement, but then it would seem like I'm trying to impress Numb so I'm going with former Bears QB Jim McMahon:

Pharoahe Monch
Redman
Nas
Sean Price
Jim McMahon

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Aesop Rock
El-P
GZA
Grym Reaper (from Gravediggaz)
Earl Sweatshirt

Not saying they're the best. Just personal favorites, currently. Changes fairly often.

Last edited:

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, my top 5 are... (in no particular order)
  1. The Beach Boys
  2. The Beach Boys
  3. The Beach Boys
  4. The Beach Boys
  5. The Beach Boys
I don't even think another band could release the amount of amazing music the boys did.

Sorry, I don't really like rap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some stuff I've been listening to lately:

Sorry, can't pick a top 5.
  • The Beach Boys
  • Chain of Strength
  • The Beatles
  • Frank Ocean
  • Tyler The Creator
  • Yung Lean
  • Tame Impala
  • The Postal Service
  • Maggie Rogers
  • Kevin Abstract

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
KRS would be in here but that Bambaataa stuff was fucked up so he's off for now (someone tell him, I'm sure he'll be very upset!).

Rakim is the natural replacement, but then it would seem like I'm trying to impress Numb so I'm going with former Bears QB Jim McMahon:

Pharoahe Monch
Redman
Nas
Sean Price
Jim McMahon
full

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Krizz Kaliko
2. Tech N9ne
3. Brother Ali
4. Ra the Rugged Man
5. Eminem

I can already feel my taste in rap annoying some people but it is what it is.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is a tough one...

Top 5 Currently (In no particular order)
Newer, modern artists who are doing great things in the genre. Looked to avoid long-time greats who are still active.

Run The Jewels
Danny Brown
Vince Staples
Chance The Rapper
Young Thug

All-Time Top 5 (In no particular order)

Kanye West

Kanye... Man what can I say about Kanye, guy is one my all time favourite producers and rappers rolled into one. His body of work is immaculate and varied, every Kanye album has so much identity - not many artists can point to this discography and show each album being vastly different to another but still having the same soul. Probably only Radiohead from the top of my head. Also MBDTF is a masterpiece, it's arrogant, it's crass, it's bold, it's a coherent tragedy, the album is faultless (aside from the mastering). I could write essays about Kanye so I'll stop here.

Nas
Nas is who I consider to be the 'GOAT' of 'pure Hip-Hop', someone like Kanye transends the genre to a degree but in terms of ground level unfiltered real rap Nas is the king. Illmatic is the great strict hip-hop album of all time, and he made it as a teenager. His wordplay and flow is unrivalled. He's far more consistent than people give him credit for as well, he has a handful of dud albums but far less than people like Jay do. If he had a better team around him/ear for beats in the mid 2000s his legacy would be far better. Tupac and Biggie aren't on the same level as Nas and he doesn't get the respect he deserves outside of Hip Hop Heads.

CunninLynguists
Probably the most slept on group in music, let alone Hip Hop. What this trio have done underground is unbelievable. Kno is a top 5 producer for me easily - his body of work is incredibly. Natti and Deacon were born to rap, no matter what the beat or the theme they absolutely knock it out the park. And similar to Kanye their work all has its own identity, Oneirology is a study of dreams, Rose Azura Njango is a tale of synthosysesia and a black woman's view of America today, Dirty Acres is a love/hate letter to the south... I could go on. Honestly every self respecting Hip Hop fan needs to get on CunninLynguists and I'd start off by recommending Oneirology, A Piece of Strange and Dirty Acres. Each member of the group also has a great solo career, Kno's Death Is Silent is incredible, Natti's solo was great and Deacon has a couple of good solo albums.

A Tribe Called Quest
Occupying their own space, a movement, within the genre; nobody did it better than Tribe. So much soul, jazz, and chemistry made Tribe what they were. No other group felt so natural, and their comeback album demonstrated that even the years couldn't dull their talents. The group was better than the sum of its parts, Tip and Phife's solo stuff is good don't get me wrong but when together they make incredible music. It breaks my heart a feud between best friends robbed us of years of Tribe music and performances and Phife's untimely death stopped them in their tracks after the reunion. RIP Phife the funky diabetic.

Extra Space, from the top of my head there's a few who are deserving of this position so I'm going to leave it for the time being and come back and edit it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All my picks are taken in their respective prime;

Lupe Fiasco
Kanye West
Saba Pivot
Big Sean
Chance the Rapper/Logic/Childish Gambino

L Corleone

Oct 27, 2017
Big L
Nas
Outkast
2pac
Eminem

Pretty generic looking list, but thats what happens when you limit me to 5 choices

Ronin7th

Oct 28, 2017
EL-P - Cancer 4 cure
Mos Def - The ecstatic
Andre 3000 - anything with him in
Mf Doom - mmm food, operation doomsday, madvillainy
Black Thought - The roots entire back catalogue

Based on albums I always go back to. Skill based would probably be a lot different. And I would probably add Kendrick etc to an expanded list.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Kendrick Lamar - a conceptual mastermind with charisma and a blacktivist mindset and catalogue. the embodiment of 'doing it for the culture.'

André 3000 - a thematic genius with untouchable wordplay. nothing else needs to be said here.

Devin the Dude - the rap game's everyman. extremely relatable, makes you feel like you're listening to your uncle rather than a rapper. his (mostly comedic) subject matter of choice is: weed, beer, being broke, sexing undesirable women.

Freddie Gibbs - I don't believe he's ever dropped a project that wasn't a complete banger through and through. Consistency matters in my opinion and he delivers in spades. A new-school OG.

Ab-Soul - can't really describe it, but he ushered in a new era of rap but in his own lane. listen to Control System for insight on what I mean.

Last edited:

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Real list, not including Sir EU

Best Rappers of All Time (based on spitting and lyrics at their peak, em would be circa MMLP)

Mos
Em
Black Thought
Pac
3 staq

Best "Rap Record Makers" of all time (more based on musicality):

Drake
Ye
BIG
Wayne
Ricky Rozay

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was sad to see how long it took to see for Pac to get mentioned!

I think in general Jay Z is probably going to be looked backed on as the most successful rapper of our time. He is not my favorite, to me he misses about as often as he hits but his lyricism can be crazy with some quadrupole entendre madness.

I really like Kanye for his early beats and all the chances he takes that end up influencing the whole hip hop genre. I've said before before that I think Kanye is a musical genius, the problem is that he knows it.

I have been up on Kendrick since right after Good KiiD. I am a big fan. I think the two biggest Grammy snubs of all time are Kanye's Dark Fantasy and Kendrick's TPaB not winning the Grammy. I love his lyricism. He paints a picture worthy of being in the Louvre with his words. While Damn in my opinion was not as good as TPAB it was still great. I am really interested to see how his portfolio continues to develop.

Next I really love Run the Jewels. Killer Mike and El-P join up to deliver a brute force hip duo. Their songs are reminiscent of high energy rap which is something that is becoming less common. Almost every song in their catalog is worth listening to.

Doh. Running out of time. Definitely check out Dre The Chronic. Snoop Doggystyle. Nas. Em. Pac.

Oct 25, 2017
My personal list in no particular order:

Nas - Possibly my favourite of all time, if for no other reason that I've liked his music since I was like 6 or 7.
Common - Consistently amazes me in different ways.
Wu-Tang - What really needs to be said? A group with some of the most talented lyricists of all time. Like the Hip-Hop equivalent of The Beatles.
Black Star - Couldn't decide between Talib & Mos, so why not both?
Kendrick - Far and away the best artist in the game right now.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Current:

Earl Sweatshirt: His lyricism and word play is what I enjoy the most about his work. Coupled with his delivery and slick style, he's probably my favorite current day rapper.

Song of choice: Hoarse

Danny Brown: I just recently started getting into his music this year, but the quality is undeniable. His shit is hype and hell and I love his clever lyrics and the grime of it.

Song of choice: Pac Blood

Kendrick Lamar: He's just good.

Song of choice: These Walls

Mike Eagle: Dude is just quality personified. Ranges the gamut of emotions, chill, melancholic, humorous. Dude is fantastic.

Song of choice: Deathmate Black and Dark Comedy Late Show

Lifetime (This is more who influenced my taste the most):

Outkast: Da Art of Story Tellin' Part 1
MF DOOM: ?
De La Soul: Let, Let Me In
Pharcyde: 4 Better or 4 Worse
Eminem: Criminal

Don't feel like typing up why, but these guys were on constant rotation while I was growing up, so they are in my mind for life.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
1 - Prodigy of Mobb Deep - R.I.Pee to my favorite MC of all time. One of the most sampled for his vocals, the voice of NY, and the epitome of that crime rap. Which is why it's funny why my favorite line from him is not about shooting people in certain body parts like left clavicles and bloodying people's mouths but this
"The sunsets looks beautiful over the projects
What a shame, its ain't the same where we stand at
If you look close you can see the bricks chipped off
Sometimes niggas miss when they lick off don't get clipped off"

2 - Smif n Wessun - I come from a era where there was talented rap groups, and one of my favorites (outside of Wu and the Mobb) was Smif n Wessun, hip hop mixed with some reggae island slang here is a little back and forth from the Wreckonize Remix
"I shine, you shine, in this day and time
We maintain the same frame of mind
The elevation, spark it up son
Yo, start the circulation
360 degrees in rotation
Stimulation, as a herb as my physical creation
Slipping to a hallucination
Situations got me thinking about my life seriously
Keep it real continuously"

3-Noreaga - One half of Capone n Noreaga, this dude at one time gave me hope that NY hip hop would never die, he fell directly into my wheel house of my favorite type of MC'S, the drug dealer rapper. This dude use to have some ill lyricism, and that's why it makes me sad that he declined lyrically like Prodigy when he went from "I lay, laid back, with cogniac, and I don't even drink like that I sell crack" and "Jose Luis Gocha, Rolling Guns and Tons, General Emanuel, Rock Emeralds" to "stick it in your butt and make you say what what"

4-Cormega- Cor-Mega war forever, Mega Montana, this dude was the first mixtape I ever purchased on Canal Streer back in the day. Again, the drug lord hip hop was my go to jams. He was also my favorite because he use to diss Nas and snuffed out Nature after he took his spot in The Firm, dude has too many jewels to list here.
"My pen is sick like a heroin ad-dict / whenever Mega spots / I exhale preciseness / Drug Dealer Ghetto shit / sweat in my hand plus my fingers numb from measuring grams / gun on my waist in case I see son who wetted my man"

5 - E Money Bags - dude really lived the life he was spitting, he was like made man street legend in the hood. RIP, Had connections with Tupac, Nas, Nore, Mega and Prodigy. In one of his last songs he prophesized his own murder that happened months later.
"Erase the thought of me getting hit why I'm too cautious/ it's a violation to hit the bosses"

Honarble mentions - Wu Tang Clan, Keith Murray, Gangstarr, EPMD, Rakim, Redman, Biggie and Nas

Oct 25, 2017
Active:
Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Young Thug
Future
ScHoolboy Q

All-Time:
Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Andre 3000
Tupac