• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

For those of you not keeping track at home, GeForce Now has had a fairly rocky past few weeks. First with the removal of Activision Blizzard's games, followed by Bethesda also having their games taken down. In both cases, the action was sudden and the explanations were bare. Nvidia has said this was due to a "misunderstanding"

Now Hinterland Studio's Raphael van Lierop has claimed Nvidia put their latest game The Long Dark on the service without permission. Even worse, Lierop said Nvidia offered the developers a free graphics card as an apology....Yikes.

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of users saying "Nvidia did nothing wrong" without addressing why Nvidia removed access to those games.

Last edited:

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
A fucking free graphics card. Are they serious? Whoever is in charge of Now needs to be removed. You don't have multiple developers bail out of no where and comments like this without some serious mismanagement going on.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
This really seems like Nvidia searched for the most foolproof way to piss off devs and sabotage their reputation amongst them in one fell swoop for absolutely no reason.

Like...why? What is the net benefit of all this mess to Nvidia?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone clarify what Geforce NOW is? Is it like an operating system that allows you to play games on the Cloud? In that case, nVIDIA doesn't need to ask for permission (i.e. it's merely infrastructure to play games that a customer had already bought from the developers). If it's something more like OnLive or Gaikai (e.g. cloud subscription service), obviously they need the developer's support (licensing for a subscription as a service product).

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
moving your game from running on a cloud machine so you can get less sales

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Can someone clarify what Geforce NOW is? Is it like an operating system that allows you to play games on the Cloud? In that case, nVIDIA doesn't need to ask for permission (i.e. it's merely infrastructure to play games that a customer had already bought from the developers). If it's something more like OnLive or Gaikai (e.g. cloud subscription service), obviously they need the developer's support (licensing for a subscription as a service product).
It's a cloud PC that you rent from Nvidia. They don't sell games themselves. You just log into your Steam account and play games you already own.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what it is. And sadly, it's pretty dang good but is so mismanaged it's hard to recommend.

I don't think that's what this is. You can play your own Steam games on this right? This isn't a walled garden where Nvidia is selling you games, is it?

This is renting a cloud server to play the games you already own, right?

As such users SHOULD be licensed to play the games they own on a different machine. There's no reason devs have to sign off on this.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmmmmm no. Not a good take.

They never made a deal, they should be pissed.
Is paperspace, a company that offers the exact same thing, get their copies of this game taken down?

This is literally just a virtual machine running a game liscence already bought. This would be like denying access to your games if you wanted to play it a PC Cafe.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
You use servers provided by Nvidia through the cloud to play games you already own

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
They rent virtual machines using streamlined GUI. And for some reason it's completely different thing to play your own virtual copies on Nvidia's leased computer than on your own bare metal HW.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yes it is exactly that. You play your own games. So really why are developers removing their games off of these platforms? It seems seriously a waste of time and a bad gesture at that.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Is paperspace, a company that offers the exact same thing, get their copies of this game taken down?

This is literally just a virtual machine running a game liscence already bought. This would be like denying access to your games if you wanted to play it a PC Cafe.

if it got noticed probably

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You're renting their computers, not the games. Only people with license to a game can play it on GeForce Now.

tombo85

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems crazy that an indie developer would be upset that their game is being sold to a paying customer. This walled garden bs is something that we shouldn't see in 2020. What's next, you can't watch your movies on certain TVs

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the way GeForce Now works, they shouldn't need permission. That said, offering a graphics card as an apology is very dumb, lol.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they need their permission ?
You cant play the game if you dont own it on Steam.

Geforce Now is basically streaming a virtual machine to play games you own. It's streaming a computer you're renting.

That's greedy af.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
This is dumb. They don't need permission. That they are removing games on request is probably covering their ass and not making publishers angry at them. Either way I look at any developer who refuses to allow their game on Geforce Now as either greedy fucks, or fucking idiots.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't agree with the dev here. Preventing users from playing a game they already own sucks. They don't lose any revenue here. Geforce Now simply gives you a PC on the cloud to play the games you already own.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, this is why the streaming future sucks. You can definitely see how some publishers and developpers are greedy and overprotective about stuff you already paid for.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
For what? The game had to be purchased from Steam and Nvidia makes nothing from that sale.

Cutting off potential customers.

How this bites these devs in the a$$

Well they're selling the service based on the ability to play YOUR game.

Let's say YOUR game has another cloud deal coming up, possibly exclusively.
Or let's just say you want to control the way YOUR game is available.
It's not just this indie dev, Activision and Bethesda jumped off too.
Clearly something was not communicated by Nvidia to developers.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience with the GeForce Now beta isn't it just remote access to a powerful computer? Like you literally logged into Steam/B.net in there.

How is NVIDIA handling this where games are being removed?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure why devs are against this. You already payed for the game so why pull games?
Nobody dislikes money or more exposure/sales, but people also don't like to be taken for granted. The least Nvidia could've done, short of making a deal, is to at least ask them before putting up their games for streaming.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, YOUR game your already payed for.
What I do with my library is none of their business.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

As a customer of said game I don't really care. Nvidia is effectively me renting a PC, the dev received the same amount of profit from me as if I had a physical PC.

It's pure greed

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Nobody dislikes money or more exposure/sales, but people also don't like to be taken for granted. The least Nvidia could've done, short of making a deal, is to at least ask them before putting up their games for streaming.
I guess I agree with that but from the way the dev responded I don't think they would have allowed it anyway.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm very afraid of the precedent this sets. I should be able to rent my computer/cloud computation from ANY cloud vendor (Azure, AWS, GCP, NOW) to play a game that I bought with my own money.

If I install a Steam client on this virtual computer, how would the developers know that I'm playing on Geforce NOW vs. my own computer. Even if they could tell, why would it matter?

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
But in a sense your basically just renting a powerful computer to play said games. That's really what NVIDIA is making money off of. It's not a Stadia situation where the games are being individually added to the service from my understanding.

Nov 8, 2017
This is one of those things where ethically it's fine for them to not need specific permissions to rent you a server to play games you own, but legally you probably can block people from doing it.

The future sucks tbh.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, they also sell graphics cards "based on the ability to play YOUR game", yet the idea that a graphics card's manufacturer needs to strike a deal for every game would sound ridiculous. And i don't see much difference, tbh. In both cases Nvidia just a hardware provider.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
But in a sense your basically just renting a powerful computer to play said games. That's really what NVIDIA is making money off of. It's not a Stadia situation where the games are being individually added to the service from my understanding.
I know, but since technically publishers can remove the games from GFNow, NV should've had seen this coming and taken them into consideration. If pubs couldn't remove their games at all no matter what then it would've been a different situation.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

It's literally no different than PC Cafes letting you play games you own on their better computers and charging you for it.

And no, PC Cafes aren't going around to every developer asking for permission to let people play their games there. Because that'd be dumb.