• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 15, 2019
Open Mike Eagle would also crush, dude writes short stories into his songs.

True. I saw him live once but it was the day we found out no charges were going to be brought against those involved in Mike Brown's shooting (or the charges were dropped, whatever it was), and that news broke like 15 minutes before he went on stage, so the mood in the room was palpably melancholy and kinda killed the whole performance. I hope to see him perform again some day.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much anybody out of Hellfyre would top the list.

Action Bronson is a surprise, but maybe he cheats by rapping about everything he eats.

Never heard of Hellfyre, but you have intrigued me. I'll go check them out, they're based in L.A. too.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Highly recommended. Milo and Open Mike Eagle are great. Nocando's output has yet to really break through but he's an incredibly talented rapper. Busdriver is kind of a living legend.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Open Eagle Mike and Busdriver, but some of the others I am not. Having said that, I'm surprised that Paak is on there.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHERE IS THE LEGEND PLAYBOI CARTI.

CARTI BOUT TO WASH ALL THESE FOOLS WITH THE WAVINESS OF HIS MUSIC.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't listened to Jedi Mind Tricks in a while. But when I did, Vinny Paz didn't have much of an vocabulary. Stoupe was the star of that group.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
please do the GOAT carti next

TZpgARv.png

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Cool list.

I greatly enjoy seeing the Clan dominating the top tiers. One of my favorite past times as a teen was printing out and dissecting Wu lyrics. Several Wu albums have yet to leave my regular rotation 20 years later. I'm looking at you, Cuban Linx, Ironman, and Liquid Swords.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"Dropped the goddamn mic 'cause you wasn't really grippin' it"
Yes.
Even though I like the older scribble jams better, his response to Franco's random race lines with "I like chicken my hair's nappy you happy, what's next you gonna wear a white hood and call me blackie?" is one of the best responses in the event's history lol.

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy seeing DMX that low, considering how much more it seems like he says compared to the other artists there (although I do like Wiz too)
It's also nice seeing DOOM near the top

Jan 15, 2019
Even though I like the older scribble jams better, his response to Franco's random race lines with "I like chicken my hair's nappy you happy, what's next you gonna wear a white hood and call me blackie?" is one of the best responses in the event's history lol.
It was incredible. I remember him battling the saurus at some point and calling him old, to which the saurus quickly chimed in with "I'm 25." Immediately following that, Nocando responded, "25? Oh, you're a funny guy/ I'll whip you upside the head, leave you running like eggs on the sunny side" and you could tell that everyone there was super impressed with just how quick Nocan was. I think you'd have to see the video to understand how seamlessly Nocando weaved that line into his previous rhyme scheme.

edit- about two minutes into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MhqkWLDRuY&t=429s

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Yall can help me out on this because I don't listen to new shit on my own. More so I only know about shit from yearly soundtracks from Videogames like Madden and UFC.

But if it hasn't been touched on....back in the 80's 90's..and up to the mid 2000s....and I'm sure even up to this day with a few artist... but what ever lyric you spit, it had to rhyme.... it had to make sense. And from some artist since the mid 2000s it just seemed like they were just throwin words out there.

So I ain't trying to act like no music expert.....so yall can correct me. But is it fair to pile all these rappers together, if some rappers didn't put the same effort as others in making sure their lyrics rhymed and made sense?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I FUHTHA BIH EEE RUNNY ROUNEE-LAPS
YOU TUSHDOW EEN-MY CITY YUH BETTUH-TAHP
THAHBIH RYE-EAR SHE-NUH SHE-GUTA-TAP
I SHEENDAHBIH RYE-DIN ROUN-EE NEW-EE CAT
DAT BISH-WID ME AN NOWSHEE ON-EE PAHK
tenor.gif

I MUHN SHA-SHA ANAM WAY-IN THI-CRAH
I MUHN SHA-SHA YEH ENEMGET
I MUH SHA-SHA WID DAVID BLAINE
I MUH SHA SHA YEH YEH YEH YEH

tenor.gif

TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-LYE
ONE MORE PINT, ONE MORE PINT
TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-LYE
ONE MORE BITE, ONE MORE PIE
TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-ZYE
tenor.gif

Jan 15, 2019
Yall can help me out on this because I don't listen to new shit on my own. More so I only know about shit from yearly soundtracks from Videogames like Madden and UFC.

But if it hasn't been touched on....back in the 80's 90's..and up to the mid 2000s....and I'm sure even up to this day with a few artist... but what ever lyric you spit, it had to rhyme.... it had to make sense. And from some artist since the mid 2000s it just seemed like they were just throwin words out there.

So I ain't trying to act like no music expert.....so yall can correct me. But is it fair to pile all these rappers together, if some rappers didn't put the same effort as others in making sure their rhymed and made sense?

*prepares to get attacked by the kiddies*

Eh, I think it's hard to judge who is and isn't trying their hardest. And aside from that, someone being unconcerned with rhyming perfectly or making sense doesn't have much bearing on how many words they use. If anything, the people focused on using a ton of words are probably more susceptible to not making sense.

Overall, I think the comparison is pretty fair as long as everyone understands that "uses the most words" is not the same as "is the best rapper."

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
I FUHTHA BIH EEE RUNNY ROUNEE-LAPS
YOU TUSHDOW EEN-MY CITY YUH BETTUH-TAHP
THAHBIH RYE-EAR SHE-NUH SHE-GUTA-TAP
I SHEENDAHBIH RYE-DIN ROUN-EE NEW-EE CAT
DAT BISH-WID ME AN NOWSHEE ON-EE PAHK
tenor.gif

I MUHN SHA-SHA ANAM WAY-IN THI-CRAH
I MUHN SHA-SHA YEH ENEMGET
I MUH SHA-SHA WID DAVID BLAINE
I MUH SHA SHA YEH YEH YEH YEH

tenor.gif

TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-LYE
TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-LYE
ONE MORE BITE, ONE MORE PIE
TUMOR LEAN, TOOMUH-ZYE
tenor.gif

Are you ok?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not surprised Doom is that high.

Kind of surprised Vince Staples is that low, but the man only has three (really two and a half) full albums.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Kendrick proving it ain't the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.

Although GZA man, I'd love to just talk to that guy for an hour. Smart as hell.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The list was updated in time to remind you that Aesop has a new album dropping tonight. Stay woke.

ive never heard the bolded before, but it totally made me interested in checking him out.
thank you!

Vaudeville Villain is probably the best time traveling / drug trafficking album imo.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
something never sits right about people ranking rappers by vocabularies.

Get some very "he's so well spoken" vibes

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
E-40 probably got high up tthere from inventing words and slang. Same with the Wu.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Because you never see vocab charts (or at least I don't) about rock/country/folk/indie rock. Like why is it necessary to count these guys?

Rapping is a completely different musical style than those with a much stronger emphasis on wordplay and rhyming and, oftentimes, a faster verbal cadence so this kind of analysis is more interesting in the context of rappers. Everything doesn't have some underlying ulterior motive

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Um, that's among the "99 best selling artists of all time." He's probably only up against like six or seven other rappers in that comparison. Jay-z is #2 on that list but is pretty much directly in the middle of average on this one.
I just think it drags those two down a bit. There really shouldn't be a cap of 35,000 on the vocabulary, that's my biggest gripe here. I'm sure there's some great lyricist such as Kendrick and Lupe that should be up higher on the list but are being shown around the middle because of the limit allowed.

Jan 15, 2019
I just think it drags those two down a bit. There really shouldn't be a cap of 35,000 on the vocabulary, that's my biggest gripe here. I'm sure there's some great lyricist such as Kendrick and Lupe that should be up higher on the list but are being shown around the middle because of the limit allowed.
This seems to make the association that "more unique words used = better lyricist" and I don't think that's the case. "Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone" is an incredible song and I'd be surprised if it uses more than 100 words.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
This seems to make the association that "more unique words used = better lyricist" and I don't think that's the case. "Ain't no Sunshine When She's Gone" is an incredible song and I'd be surprised if it uses more than 100 words.
I agree with everything you said here. Maybe I can rephrase what I mean, sorry I'm tired.

If a list is being made for rappers using unique vocabulary, maybe the list shouldn't limit them to their first 35,000 words? Update the list accordingly is all I would like to see.

Jan 15, 2019
I agree with everything you said here. Maybe I can rephrase what I mean, sorry I'm tired.

If a list is being made for rappers using unique vocabulary, maybe the list shouldn't limit them to their first 35,000 words? Update the list accordingly is all I would like to see.
I wouldn't mind seeing that either. Especially considering that some artists improve over time.