• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
That was their hope yeah, to support it for a decade.

It could become a Rainbow Six Siege though and turn things around when enough new content hits.
I doubt it will ever become as mainstream as Rainbow Six, but it don't have to either. There are online games that survive and grow without such a big playerbase, or that grow slowly but steadily over time. Warframe had less than a million unique users for it's first year, and is still alive and growing 5 years later.

We don't know less than two months since launch what will Sea of Thieves become in the long run. If it will fail/suceed or simply survive will depends on Rare, but one failed patch is hardly going to make much difference.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, if I'm backseat modding then you are as well. And your defense of it is NMS TOO... but yea if you've got nothing to offer other than NMS too please do move on.

Back on topic, the idea that this is something that never happens or is some huge issue or bad sign for the games future is really a reach and never needed its own thread.
You are not the arbiter of what conversations can or cannot become threads.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Thread whining, generalising the ERA community, history of similar behaviour.
You are not the arbiter of what conversations can or cannot become threads.

And you are not the arbiter of what opinions I can and cannot have, and its my opinion this didnt need a thread at all. Tough shit if that offends you.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Rare may have lost too much talent over the years. To take years to push out such a bare bones game and then screw-ups like this. It's disappointing and with it falling down the Xbox most played charts, you hope people come back when they finally manage to add some content.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Wow, I will say, some people truly like to critizice, they live for it. This thread is definitely an example of extremes. Good and bad.

On topic, it is a shame this happened, this game has an amazing foundation, incredible potential, hell, as it is it has given me the most memorable multiplayer experiences of my whole life. But it has issues, like many people the lack of content pulled me away, God of War came out and finals started and my attention is elsewhere. This past week I played a lot because of a friend, and honestly, I remembered what made it special. Unfortunately last night we lost two hauls of treasure, very frustrating, and after venting, we all concluded "at least we had some fun".

Yes, this will affect the perception of the game, yes some people may be inclined to not play after this, yes the game deserves the bad press, no, the game is not doomed, no, the game is not terrible for everyone, no, Rare are not incompetent, no, we don't know how this game will succeed or fail in the coming months. We can speculate, and this is definitely a negative, they can still turn it around. And honestly, everyone should hope for that but that does not mean we cannot provide constructive criticism. I hope they succeed.

There is no other game, currently, to the best of my knowledge that offers the experience this game offers. Even if some people hate it but others love it.

Edit: Correction

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are embarassing. No man's sky got plenty of hate threads back in the day as well for having many of these same issues. This is also a gaming forum where we discuss both good and bad aspects of games. If you hae a problem with mods or rules go to them about it.
Not to mention they are both breaking forum rules. Thread whining and generalizing about a player base.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And you are not the arbiter of what opinions I can and cannot have, and its my opinion this didnt need a thread at all. Tough shit if that offends you.
I'm not saying anything about what opinion you can have. I am saying that you expressing your opinion about issues you think should be rules on this matter, in this thread, is in fact actually breaking forum rules.

Not to mention they are both breaking forum rules. Thread whining and generalizing about a player base.
Exactly.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not saying anything about what opinion you can have. I am saying that you expressing your opinion about issues you think should be rules on this matter, in this thread, is in fact actually breaking forum rules.

Exactly.

Searched the FAQ and the TOS for whining, didnt see it in there. Nor generalizing. And any case, you're still not following your own advice to just report, you're still right now actively playing forum rules police while trying to tell me not to do so... And you still showed up first coming at me with But but but NMS threads... lol I'm done with you have a nice day. /ignore

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, must be a really obscure bug they can't track down. Don't mind though, I'm still mostly waiting for the next big update.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I'm wondering how this delay on their feature-updates will effect the rollout of the The Hungering Deep and the weekly events. There's no way that won't snag people for testing on the one who would have been working on the other.

Its ranking relative to Top-Played games has definitely dropped, but it's still been consistently ahead of other popular games released around the same time including Monster Hunter World (and a few long-time workhorses). Games are instanced, so it's possible you were on a low-population instance, or you may have just not seen other players due to luck-of-the-draw. These figures jump around constantly, but if you look at the Top Paid purchase rankings right now, SoT is head of BF1, Overwatch, and 2/3 versions of Destiny 2, which means new players are also coming in steadily enough.

I don't mean to insult you, but describing one session where you didn't see other ships as reason to conclude "not many" people are playing the game (when we have signals from more reliable indicators) is silly. Remarking that you were shocked to see one other player sounds almost willfully misleading.
Sure, I understand why it's misleading. I'm just relaying my experience the last few play sessions in the game. Granted I don't play every night, but I'm still hopping on a few times a week, and the amount of ships I see in any given session is between 1-4.

I also am not trying to shit on this game. I've been playing since the closed alpha, and I love this game. It is legitimately one of the most unique online games I've ever played. I'm excited for the Hungering Deep to come out so my friends will be motivated to hop back in. While I enjoy solo slooping quite a bit, the game really shines when you're playing with friends.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I appreciate that you clarified you were talking about the Battle Royale mode (even though it hollows out your point), because I honestly thought you were making a joke highlighting how a service game can change. With how frequently the original Fortnite game design/launch is totally forgotten, it's an encouraging point in itself.

To be fair, the base version of Fortnite did have a dedicated, if small following. I do not think "small" for Fortnite is the same as "small" for SoT.