• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare added a long awaited update this week that added the among other things the following features:
  • This seat is taken - two crew type options available to them, Open and Closed Crews.
    • Open Crews: This option works in the same way you're used to. For the Galleon, an open crew will match four players together while also replacing players who leave during a game. For the Sloop, two players will be matched together, with a leaving player being replaced when possible.
    • Closed Crews: This option allows a single player to begin a game on either a Galleon or a Sloop, allowing friends to join in when they're available. You can now play with any configuration of players up to the limit on each ship, which is 4 players on the Galleon and 2 players on the Sloop, as well as preventing non-friends from being able to join you. This option replaces the 3 player Galleon and Solo Sloop options in the Main Menu.
  • Here, take this! - Imagine the scene, skeletons surround your crew, your crew-mate has been bitten by a snake, they have no bananas and there are no resource barrels in sight! Now you can help them cronch their way to full health by handing them a banana! This also works with wooden planks and cannon balls. You helpful pirate you!
  • Who goes there? - When swimming underwater, gamertag and Player Titles are no longer visible. Now you can #BeMoresneakyPirate!
[/QUOTE
This all sounds very good and definitely a step in the right direction, but everything turned out wrong soon after the patch went live.

2 or 3 hours later after the servers went bacn up videos about a very consistent game breaking bug related to resource sharing started to spread. So Rare reacted and made an emergency maintainance break to remove said feature

Around 6 or 7 hours after the original patch went live another issue surfaced, servers started to crash out of nowhere kicking out everyone and making them lose their progress.

Rare took their time but reacted again with yet another emergency maintainance break

That's all three features removed to try and solve these issues. Then when the servers went back up they said everything was back to normal. Now people are starting to report that the server crashes continue to happen even after the roll back, which I can confirm.

It's also worth mentioning that this patch was supposed to come out a week earlier but was supposedly delayed by a bug that affected PC players.

All in all, a complete mess by Rare and a small showing of how bad they've handled this game so far.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is after this update was already delayed by a week too. Private crews should have been there at launch and absolutely blows my mind a team of devs could come up with the solution they had at launch. This game has been such a disappointment, what a waste of potential IMO.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Underwater one is really good update and I can't wait for it to come back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. The updates have been pretty regular so far, but of course when a feature isn't working as intended there needs to be a separate thread for the issue :\
The updates have been pretty regular but also pretty damn barebones, there are some very basic stuff wrong that they've yet to acknowledge let alone try to fix.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd argue it needed a lot more at launch.

That won't stop people from dropping the game

Cool.

Those have nothing to do with issues in this patch. But oh well.

The updates have been pretty regular but also pretty damn barebones, there are some very basic stuff wrong that they've yet to acknowledge let alone try to fix.

Sure. But this is also the first patch out of 7 since launch that introduced such severe issues.

Every game has a bad patch once in a while. Every. Game. To see this and assume it's somehow indicative of a nonexistent larger problem at the studio is borderline idiotic.

Yeah, it sucks. But what can you do? Just sit tight and wait until it's fixed.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
They have a pool of 5000 pioneers they could use to test their patches on a much larger scale than they can internally. They just don't want to.

That's a valid point, but maybe they assumed they had found most of the issues, considering this is the first patch in a while with severe problems?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This. The updates have been pretty regular so far, but of course when a feature isn't working as intended there needs to be a separate thread for the issue :\
We've had threads about their plans for the game and new updates. This is also a completely different issue that is completely newsworthy.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I haven't played in 24hrs, the cross play, scalability and online nature of this game would be a nightmare to get right I imagine

no excuses

great game but

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
The game is unplayable right now, I'm getting kicked out every 10-15 minutes, which is not enough time to do anything at all.

How is that unrelated and how will that not make people drop the game?

I'm willing to bet that the people who haven't dropped the game after the first two weeks aren't gonna drop the game after one bad patch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
User Warned: Lazy dev argument
I was fire and flame, bought everything it had to offer, story books, art book, controller and now I haven't played it in a month.

This company is a mess, why are they still working there? Hundreds of people and all that they can do is develop an empty shell of a game in 4 years, create a hand full of new clothes in 4 weeks and broken features that they have to remove.
What the actual fuck are they doing all day? Specially the design part of that company? I know we had that topic a hundred times before, but like several people with a similar job on ERA already said, shouldn't they create and design stuff nonstop? And if, why aren't we getting at least 10 new cosmetic items in a week? What the heck are they doing all day in their 8 hours of daily work? Also the programmer.

A company where I really have the feeling that they are actually working 8 hours a day is EPIC, cause they deliver every single week with huge patches and cosmetic stuff every few days.

What a hopeless company.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was fire and flame, bought everything it had to offer, story books, art book, controller and now I haven't played it in a month.

This company is a mess, why are they still working there? Hundreds of people and all that they can do is develop an empty shell of a game in 4 years, create a hand full of new clothes in 4 weeks and broken features that they have to remove.
What the actual fuck are they doing all day? Specially the design part of that company? I know we had that topic a hundred times before, but like several people with a similar job on ERA already said, shouldn't they create and design stuff nonstop? And if, why aren't we getting at least 10 new cosmetic items in a week? What the heck are they doing all day in their 8 hours of daily work? Also the programmer.

A company where I really have the feeling that they are actually working 8 hours a day is EPIC, cause they deliver every single week with huge patches and cosmetic stuff every few days.

What a hopeless company.

What's with the arbitrary requirements for updates? Rare has their own internal roadmap, and their own way of handling things. Whether or not you agree is another matter, but they don't have to care about what you want.

And Fortnite is a completely different game, in a completely different genre, than Sea of Thieves. Just because they're both multiplayer games does not mean that they're inherently comparable.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
an online game runs into some issues because of an update. The update is then removed to be worked on while not affecting the players.

Era: What a mess! no wonder people are leaving this game thats already dead!

They have had an update video like every week with updates coming like bi weekly. people need to chill. in 2 weeks time you will have a "medium" sized content drop in The Hungering Deep, a trailer, more updates on the this patch and those that like and enjoy the game will continue to enjoy and those that dont will continue to not enjoy it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet that the people who haven't dropped the game after the first two weeks aren't gonna drop the game after one bad patch.
What a weird bet that'd be.

Whatever you want your weird goalposts to be you can't deny the game population is dropping, and will continue to do so unless they really do something drastic with this upcoming "medium sized" update.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the lack of content they have planned, it sounds as though most of the studio are moving on to a new project. I thought they could learn a thing or two from the Driveclub devs (and even Hello Games) but apparently not.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
why are they still working there? Hundreds of people and all that they can do is develop and empty shell of a game in 4 years, create a hand full of new clothes in 4 weeks and broken features that they have to remove.

I take it you think games are made by downloading images from google and copy pasting them onto an xbox.

Fortnite has been in development since 2010 (the reveal was 2011) I would hope they can do that now. The 2 different companies have very different pasts and very different levels of experience using Unreal Engine 4 and developing for online focused titles. Get a grip and chill. Eat some Chip Ahoy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
an online game runs into some issues because of an update. The update is then removed to be worked on while not affecting the players.

Era: What a mess! no wonder people are leaving this game thats already dead!

They have had an update video like every week with updates coming like bi weekly. people need to chill. in 2 weeks time you will have a "medium" sized content drop in The Hungering Deep, a trailer, more updates on the this patch and those that like and enjoy the game will continue to enjoy and those that dont will continue to not enjoy it.
Era didn't make the thread, I did. And I did because as a player I've experienced this issues

Don't try to generalize and pretend this place is a hivemind.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the lack of content they have planned, it sounds as though most of the studio are moving on to a new project. I thought they could learn a thing or two from the Driveclub devs but apparently not.
They have a road map of content updates every 2 months. 3 seperate teams working back to back. Nobody is "moving on"

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whatever you want your weird goalposts to be you can't deny the game population is dropping, and will continue to do so unless they really do something drastic with this upcoming "medium sized" update.

Fair enough but I still fail to see how playerbase calculations are relevant to the fact they rolled back an update because there was a technical issue - something that happens in just about every game every now and then, and it's the first time it happens for Rare.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This game is such a missed opportunity... It could have been a wonderful experience with more interesting/surprising quests and mysterious locations. I seriously doubt if Sea of Thieves will recover from the huge player drop.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the lack of content they have planned, it sounds as though most of the studio are moving on to a new project. I thought they could learn a thing or two from the Driveclub devs (and even Hello Games) but apparently not.

Judging by, you know, actual facts about how many people are still working on Sea Of Thieves instead of whatever Rare's next project is, I'd say this is completely false.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

...I don't think I set any goalposts. Unless, for some odd reason, saying that people who stuck around this long aren't very likely to leave now is a fucking goalpost. Now that would be strange, wouldn't it?

I would assume setting a required expectation for a future update is more of a goalpost than literally anything I've said. But oh well. You do you, man.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The beauty of this game is that it's a gamepass title. More people will sub to the service or take free trials when other games hit the service such as Forza, Halo, Crackdown 3 or soon SOD2.

Even if people do 'drop the game' it will still have a healthy player base.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
There are bugs, they are being fixed. Unfortunate, but hardly a big deal at this point.

They have a road map of content updates every 2 months. 3 seperate teams working back to back. Nobody is "moving on"

That's bigger content updates, small updates should be introduced regularly through weekly events.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

What a hopeless company.
I bought the signed version of the art book off their official store before launch and it still hasn't arrived. Apparently they're having issues getting all of the art books to sign.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Era didn't make the thread, I did. And I did because as a player I've experienced this issues

Don't try to generalize and pretend this place is a hivemind.
im generalizing this thread not the entire site, chill. (Altho if you actually cant see that Era is a bubble...sheesh)

sorry to the posters you can just ignore.
All in all, a complete mess by Rare

What a hopeless company.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The beauty of this game is that it's a gamepass title. More people will sub to the service or take free trials when other games hit the service such as Forza, Halo, Crackdown 3 or soon SOD2.

Gamepass ain't gonna save this game. Plenty F2P games die every week.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018

This is actually why im excited to see what indies or AA come to gamepass, lets devs do more "out there" things when they know they at the very least will have access to X amount of players.

back on topic: Yarrr this be a mess up lads!

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know if that's the case. SOT engagement numbers dropped significantly when Destiny dlc dropped. It seems like SoT is competing with Destiny, Division and soon to be Anthem for player's looking for that same type of experience.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool.

Those have nothing to do with issues in this patch. But oh well.

I'm sure Sea of Thieves will always have its niche audience, just like No Man's Sky, but any hope for mainstream success is pretty much on the precipice.

It's going to be a matter of too little, too late by the time everything is where it should have been at launch.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't know if that's the case. SOT engagement numbers dropped significantly when Destiny dlc dropped. It seems like SoT is competing with Destiny, Division and soon to be Anthem for player's looking for that same type of experience.

Perhaps. But I'd be interested to see how those figures are effected when SOT has its own updates. I for one am giving the game a rest until the June update that will add another ship and a new area. I do wonder how many people are doing the same.

The game is bare bones at the moment (pardon the pun) but I can see myself putting in more time when the game is more fleshed out.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There are bugs, they are being fixed. Unfortunate, but hardly a big deal at this point.

That's bigger content updates, small updates should be introduced regularly through weekly events.
They are doing that. We have weekly updates. And events starts this month. So saying the teams are "moving on" is yeah...