• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
40ccd5b36915e6b46068e8db15ca274cc7bbc6e4_hq.jpg

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. Why did they go through a middle man instead of just shipping it directly to the buyer?

Oct 25, 2017
Middleman company should be responsible if they signed for it. Sucks if they didn't check everything but that's on them

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Who in their right mind would send over mail something worth $60000? Hell, even something worth $1000?

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bugging out that someone would pay 60k for a card. I get surprised when a card I have is worth 10 bucks. Is this the only one available? I like collecting, but im not so deep into it that I'm familiar with the highest valued cards.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10% of ERA posters would choose "art" over people's lives, I wonder if expensive Pokemon cards are included in that.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If I had it. I would sell it to my local comic shop for a cool $1001 lol
Just to get it off my hands.

Or maybe just return it for the $1000 reward. "A friend" has it.

Shitty situation all around. I'm sure it's gonna be returned tho.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a roundtrip plane ticket around the world costs 1600$ max, thats still a $58,400 profit

plus you get a vacation out of it

This is a terrible idea. You put yourself in danger at the exchange place and if anything happens, like getting mugged, you lose everything. Insurance and sending through a carrier is the safest and and smartest way to do it. If the middle man loses it, they're usual liable for it. also it's worth more than $10k so you would need to clear customs for it.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Why would they do that? They already paid for the money, what are they going to do, steal their own card?
Ebay scammers go hard, especially for pricey items. They could take the card and say they never got it for one. (since there would be no tracking which Ebay/PayPal relies on)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I could say the same thing about jewelry :x Either way, both are rare, and I'd honestly say that card is more rare than a precious gem anyways.
Yeah but Jewelry has a certain social value attached to it. Nobody's gonna care if you paid 60k for a Pokemon card, in fact I think people are going to think you're a rich moron

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I could say the same thing about jewelry :x Either way, both are rare, and I'd honestly say that card is more rare than a precious gem anyways.
no its not

a precious gem was probably dug out of a remote location, filled with hazards, and its a mineral that was produced within the earth over hundreds of years.

this is a printed card with cartoon characters on it

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on what it was shipped in my assumption would be that they lost it in the bulk shipment somewhere. Who knows what happened to it, but I'm picturing it shipped in like a reinforced envelope or something not a package. I guess foul play could be a possibility as well, but a card like that is going to be very apparent if it shows up out in the wild all of a sudden, and I'm not sure there's a huge black market for Pokémon cards but maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Middleman company signed for it, they should be responsible for the value of the item. Doesn't matter what excuse they claim. If their internal processes allowed them to sign for a lot they didn't know the contents of and didn't check, I think legally that still falls on them.

The original owners seem very aware of this with the language being used. Talking about how they already fulfilled their responsibility in this process. But since Aramex is just shrugging and claiming they never got the thing that they signed for, pokemonplace is forced to put in some effort.

Can't really expect USPS to have much commentary on this, either. Item is signed for. Paper trail ends with Aramex.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bro if I sell you something for 60k, I am taking a first class flight and hand delivering that motherfucker. And if I am buying something for that much (shoot me if I ever buy a pokemon card for 60k tho), I am showing up to collect.

Fuck trusting anyone else with it.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bugging out that someone would pay 60k for a card. I get surprised when a card I have is worth 10 bucks. Is this the only one available? I like collecting, but im not so deep into it that I'm familiar with the highest valued cards.

If I understood correctly, that card was the only copy available in the world and it was a tournament prize for the 3rd ranked played in a Pokemon tournament 20 years ago. I can't imagine paying that much money for a card, but I can understand the appeal for rich collectors.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
so basically it went through usps and the workers chucked this box if stuff, it cracked open, card fell out, they just taped the box closed, delivered as is, got a signature. the thing is probably sitting in some transport trailer, garbage bin (picked up and thrown away), or sitting somewhere in a usps facility with the other small stuff that falls out.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
no its not

a precious gem was probably dug out of a remote location, filled with hazards, and its a mineral that was produced within the earth over hundreds of years.

this is a printed card with cartoon characters on it

I mean, there's no shortage of jewelry stores in the world...

For anything that's value you can just say "oh it's just some dumb cartoon" but it's still the more rare item, has collectors, and has a value stamped on it, due to the amount people are willing to pay for it.