• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The buyer definitely has a legal recourse against the middle-man company. Question is: does he want to spend the money and time it'll cost him?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
HAHAHAHA I worked for the company Aramex before, they are for SURE the culprits here. 10000%. USPS never received shit from them. Aramex is a middle man company for packages so cheap that UPS won't accept it. What you get is warehouses filled with so many god damn yellow envelopes that never get shipped out and are just sitting there. Over half the employees I worked with told me they've opened up packages and taken shit before since it's just laying there for months on end.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
...rare...
...eBay...
...shipped using USPS...
...highest that you can insure an item...
...overseas...

Lots of read flags here! Would definitely not trust the USPS to deliver anything with that kind of value. Especially overseas.

I'm sure the conversation happening through eBay is extra spicy.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't FedEx have actually been the better bet for something of such a high insurance total, plus sending internationally?

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust USPS to ship something expensive around the corner, let alone a $60,000 item overseas.

Feb 1, 2018
The option they SHOULD have gone with...

GTA V style. It's how they deliver jewelry, cash, bullion, etc.

Honestly the easiest way is to fly out with the card and deliver it in person. It has a PSA case on it and those are rock solid and can't really be bent so you can keep it in your bag or pocket.

I used to flip pokemon and MTG cards and for big ticket stuff that was usually the case

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this sounds awful.

Shipping and waiting for stuff to be received is the worst. I like the idea of messing around with flipping collectibles as a side hustle, but I always decide against it because the shipping would make me a perpetual nervous wreck.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bugging out that someone would pay 60k for a card. I get surprised when a card I have is worth 10 bucks. Is this the only one available? I like collecting, but im not so deep into it that I'm familiar with the highest valued cards.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think it's just cause it's rare and some person won it in a tournament which makes even less sense as the card itself does nothing, and it's congratulating a winner of a tournament, something the owner now hasn't done. But people spend their money on really dumb shit all the time

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The only way to sell this is by flying to the buyer's location, this is not unusual in the high-end video game and Magic the Gathering collectibles world.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I spent a month trying to get USPS to do something they should have done immediately because that office doesn't answer their phone at all. I had to tell 3 different people to do it before it got done.
Never again,

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Is this the only one available?

I don't know that it's the only one, but as it was only handed out to tournament winners it is an exceptionally rare card. The bulbapedia article on it is pretty dense and doesn't have an easily-skimmable section about how many of each No.3 trainer printing are out there.

a precious gem was probably dug out of a remote location, filled with hazards, and its a mineral that was produced within the earth over hundreds of years.

I mean on the one hand I agree with the implication that people who are doing mining for rare minerals, gems, and the like are severely, hell, literally criminally underpaid, but on the other hand a lot of these gems aren't really all that rare and are only as expensive as they are because of the fact that extraction is being done under the control of only a few companies, basically monopolies/cartels (i.e., deBeers).

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
But so who is losing money in the end? I vaguely suspect that since the items were not received by the buyer, their contract will force them to reimburse. Is this a case of aramex stealing the card and getting away with it because of bad contract between Pokemon place and aramex?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's weird. $60k is obviously fucking insane but I would imagine that the purchaser is rich as hell. So, I guess, do it up.

If I won a million bucks in the lottery this week, I can't lie: I would definitely go buy every special edition DS and 3DS for absolutely no reason.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Dec 12, 2017
Why on Earth would you send something so valuable by mail? There are many many services that offer secure delivery of items like this.

EDIT: Misread, a middle man lost it. I hope they have good insurance.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Middleman company should be responsible if they signed for it. Sucks if they didn't check everything but that's on them

all the more reason to use a specialized courier or UPS/FedEx or DHL. you check the whole thing before you sign for it. but who the hell would be stupid enough
to send something so valuable through USPS with their record of losing shit? I agree that Aramex should have checked the bulk lot thoroughly but USPS is supposed to keep certified/express/registered mail in a separate shipment schedule and not with the daily bulk mail.

How else would you ship it overseas?

DHL, world courier, Axis global. buy a plane ticket.

This is a terrible idea. You put yourself in danger at the exchange place and if anything happens, like getting mugged, you lose everything. Insurance and sending through a carrier is the safest and and smartest way to do it. If the middle man loses it, they're usual liable for it. also it's worth more than $10k so you would need to clear customs for it.

nah, customs isn't going to know or care about a trading card.

How is this the fault of USPS at all??

I'm willing to bet 60K that USPS lost the damn thing before it got to the middle man company.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Some Pokémon fans = will pay $60,000 for a card
Same Pokémon fans = won't buy $60,000 worth of theater tickets to get detective pikachu to $1 billion

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sounds like someone is trying to pull a scam and forgot someone had to sign for it. People pull this on Ebay all the time.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ebay scammers go hard, especially for pricey items. They could take the card and say they never got it for one. (since there would be no tracking which Ebay/PayPal relies on)

Well, I guess they could have gone with the arrangement others have stated then, with the seller handing it directly to the buyer (and making the buyer sign confirming he received it).

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aramex is clearly the responsible party here. They admit to signing for it. That's the point of requiring a signature, and this was registered mail even. They didn't check what they were signing for, but that's on them

Don't know why anyone would expect the USPS or their insurer to pay out. They say nobody is pursuing legal action so they must all be rich af anyway

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But so who is losing money in the end? I vaguely suspect that since the items were not received by the buyer, their contract will force them to reimburse. Is this a case of aramex stealing the card and getting away with it because of bad contract between Pokemon place and aramex?
I can only assume this will go to court and the middle man company has to be found at fault since they signed for packages without confirming the contents of the bulk package. Sure we all sign for things without confirming, but with a tracking number they would have KNOWN it would be delivered that day.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I cannot tell you how many times USPS has a signature on record for shit that was apparently never delivered anywhere. I even had to break out camera footage once to prove that no one attempted delivery all day (yep, sent them fuckers footage from 8AM - 8PM) and they still refused to honor the insurance.

I want to support them, but it's easy to hate them when they miss deliveries and their customer service is literally aggressive.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I could say the same thing about jewelry :x Either way, both are rare, and I'd honestly say that card is more rare than a precious gem anyways.

The Hope Diamond was sent from NYC to the Smithsonian via USPS Registered Mail, and it's worth a few hundred million more than this Pokemon card.

I cannot tell you how many times USPS has a signature on record for shit that was apparently never delivered anywhere. I even had to break out camera footage once to prove that no one attempted delivery all day (yep, sent them fuckers footage from 8AM - 8PM) and they still refused to honor the insurance.

I want to support them, but it's easy to hate them when they miss deliveries and their customer service is literally aggressive.

Registered Mail is tracked every step of the way, secured in a safe, and cannot be delivered without an in-person signature. If your carrier is cutting corners on priority expresses or certified mail, that's one thing, but on a Registered? At best they'll get fired; at worst, the Inspection Service will get involved.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If I was selling a rare item for 60k, I would 100% be hand delivering that bad boy myself.
Shit, I I get nervous posting back games I've rented. My anxiety is on edge until I get the received email.