• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If i sold anything worth $60k on ebay i would personally deliver it to the person. I've worked for both UPS and USPS and i don't trust either with a piece of 20 year old gum let alone a $60,000 piece of merch.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The Hope Diamond was sent from NYC to the Smithsonian via USPS Registered Mail, and it's worth a few hundred million more than this Pokemon card.

That's a bit of a different story than heading to the mall and visiting jewelry store XYZ. Although funny that they used USPS rather than sending it personally... Would've expected it being in one of those suitcases handcuffed to a guy's arm.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only assume this will go to court and the middle man company has to be found at fault since they signed for packages without confirming the contents of the bulk package. Sure we all sign for things without confirming, but with a tracking number they would have KNOWN it would be delivered that day.

article says they aren't suing anybody. It must be nice to shrug off $60k

The card itself is apparently valueless now since it is registered among all the other rich collectors who would be able to buy it

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is blatant victim blaming, but it's complete madness to ship something worth $60,000 with the USPS.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
am i an ass because i cant bring myself to feel bad for someone who has 60k to spend on a pokemon card

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So you just take the word of the middle man company that after signing for the packages it was there?

no, because one of those employees for sure absent-mindedly signed for the bulk lot without carefully checking everything was there. but what I am saying is that I am willing to bet that the pokemon card never even reached the company. right now that card is on the floor of some sorting center or on a truck in the middle of nowhere somewhere.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
It's not uncommon for collectors to meet in person when am exchange of an NES Stadium Events happens - and the gold version is only worth, uh, maybe $25-30k?

For $60k, you better fucking believe I want hand delivery. $50k insurance was probably not cheap, ha.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but if I buy something from you for 60k you better be dropping it off yourself

Oct 25, 2017
For 60k I would fly there and hand deliver it

Well it all really depends on how much the original owner paid to acquire it (and insure, and store) in terms of how much that would eat into their margins. It's not 60k pure profit.

Sure as shit would not mail internationally via USPS, though. So much can go wrong on that carrier handoff. Lotta black boxes where you are just on faith things are going smoothly.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The card itself is apparently valueless now since it is registered among all the other rich collectors who would be able to buy it

It's not worthless per se, only that it's provenance is unclear. If found, nobody credible will touch that card if it's rightful owner can't be determined.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My mind always goes to Prerelease Raichu when I read highly valued Pokémon card. But then I remembered that was "only" like 15k?

The tag line of, "it's a mess for everyone involved" can't be more accurate. Holy cow.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not worthless per se, only that it's provenance is unclear. If found, nobody credible will touch that card if it's rightful owner can't be determined.

right, which makes it effectively worthless (unless found/returned) unless there is a black market for pokemon cards out there. Anyone willing to shell out over $50k for a card will be one of those 'credible' collectors that wouldn't touch this

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
God bless dhl. Ordered a tv off Amazon once that missed it's delivery date by 3 weeks, dhl handling, and when it finally showed up it was 2 guys in a pickup truck.

I don't mean anything negative about this, but are you in the Continental Americas or are you more a Eurasian person?

The reason I ask is because the issues with Amazon and DHL sound familiar. I don't think your a person I met but I have had similar issues with Amazon and DHL and international shipping before.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
From the article it was signed for... by whom? That seems to be pretty well glossed over. At 50k insurance, they surely wouldn't have accepted just a random signature right?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Hope Diamond was sent from NYC to the Smithsonian via USPS Registered Mail, and it's worth a few hundred million more than this Pokemon card.

Registered Mail is tracked every step of the way, secured in a safe, and cannot be delivered without an in-person signature. If your carrier is cutting corners on priority expresses or certified mail, that's one thing, but on a Registered? At best they'll get fired; at worst, the Inspection Service will get involved.

Nope. They just told me my lying eyes and their own safeguards were somehow wrong.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I don't mean anything negative about this, but are you in the Continental Americas or are you more a Eurasian person?

The reason I ask is because the issues with Amazon and DHL sound familiar. I don't think your a person I met but I have had similar issues with Amazon and DHL and international shipping before.

In the states.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Explain this to me please, is this the sixth season of the Wire
Lol what is going on here and how did you find this?
lol there was a dumb Internet rumor a few years ago, especially being spread around through Facebook memes that was like WOW YOUR BLACK DIAMOND DISNEY VHS TAPES ARE WORTH THOUSANDS to the point that Snopes had to do an article about it

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-diamond-collection-disney/

Basically people were just looking at those over-inflated eBay auctions and assuming that was the actual value of the tapes. The "it's being used as a drug front" is my own theory

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch.

If I paid $60k on an item, buying a plane ticket to pick it up in person would be no problem for me.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost feel bad. Then I think about how much money a person willing to spend $60K on a Pokemon card must have.