• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3 and I'm temped to try this but scared I'll mess up my current set up which I'm mostly happy with

If I back up my config and bios files, and try this, and it doesn't work for me, all I'd need to do to revert things back to my current set up is overwrite the files again with my back up on a USB stick, right?

Just get a new card, so you can swap easily. Keep the one you have with the system as you like it and use another one for experiments. You can also have your roms in a USB drive so you don't have to copy them to the card and scrape them again

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Mine is running at 240p using composite. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not very good at photographing a CRT, but I put a few pics below:

IMG-0243.jpg

IMG-0244.jpg

IMG-0248.jpg

I also set up SSH so I can drop files onto the pi from my desktop computer.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-06-at-11-51-36-PM.png

I'm pretty happy with it all around. My CRT has YPbPr connectors, so at some point down the road I would like to work out a way to use that instead of composite. Trouble is, all I can find is RGB scart outputs for the Pi. So, I would have to do scart output, convert to YPbPr, then go to a switch box before finally connecting to the CRT (it would need to share my single component input port with my PS2).

So it might be a while before I tackle that project. Apparently Retrotink used to make a converter that would go from HDMI to component, but do not any longer (they do make the scart to component converter I would need though). I tried looking for a HDMI to component video converter from someone else, but I couldn't find one that is advertised as supporting 240p, let alone one that would hopefully not introduce much latency.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mine is running at 240p using composite. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not very good at photographing a CRT, but I put a few pics below:

IMG-0243.jpg

IMG-0244.jpg

IMG-0248.jpg

I also set up SSH so I can drop files onto the pi from my desktop computer.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-06-at-11-51-36-PM.png

I'm pretty happy with it all around. My CRT has YPbPr connectors, so at some point down the road I would like to work out a way to use that instead of composite. Trouble is, all I can find is RGB scart outputs for the Pi. So, I would have to do scart output, convert to YPbPr, then go to a switch box before finally connecting to the CRT (it would need to share my single component input port with my PS2).

So it might be a while before I tackle that project. Apparently Retrotink used to make a converter that would go from HDMI to component, but do not any longer (they do make the scart to component converter I would need though). I tried looking for a HDMI to component video converter from someone else, but I couldn't find one that is advertised as supporting 240p, let alone one that would hopefully not introduce much latency.

Looks great!

How big is your CRT out of interest?

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Just tried out Redream a bit with Skies of Arcadia. I was pretty impressed with the performance! Of course, this means I'll need to work out a way to run it at 480i while the rest of the cores go to 240p...

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried out Redream a bit with Skies of Arcadia. I was pretty impressed with the performance! Of course, this means I'll need to work out a way to run it at 480i while the rest of the cores go to 240p...
Wow, that's pretty impressive for RPi. I love Skies of Arcadia, please Sega bring it back. As an aside, did you know Dreamcast has Retroachievements now if that's your thing? Though the set for Skies is still being worked on :/

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
13 inches. It's a trinitron-wega kv-13fs100. It's a nice size but sometimes I wish I'd gotten something a little bigger. I do sit pretty close to it, more like a desk monitor than a normal TV.

Nice, I have a 14inch model but really I want a better one

The 14 inch is fine for me though as I made a little retro nook in my office. I have to sit pretty close to the screen as well though

Working my way through Lunar: The Silver Star at present

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
So I'm trying to get my Pi 4 to output 480i through HDMI then into a converter to YPbPr. I use the config file to set what should be the appropraite modes, HDMI group 1 and HDMI mode 6. It goes through the boot looking fine, but as soon as I get to emulation station, the screen is scrambled. I tried the tvservice command, but 480 interlaced doesn't show up as an available mode when check available modes. The best it had was 720x480 interlaced, which fixed the screen but of course it was way to big to see everything. Also it screwed up as soon as I went into a game sub menu. I've tried all the config.txt stuff available on retrorgb to no avail. I'm starting to think this may just not be possible and I have to live with composite. :/

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
So I gave up on using the HDMI to component converter. I got an RGB-Pi and a RGB to Component transcoder from Retrotink. It was pretty easy to setup and I'm kind of blown away how much better it looks. I knew moving up from composite would be a big upgrade, but I'm still impressed. I can't believe people in Europe had this kind of connector while I was slumming with RF and composite.

I also think the RGB-Pi front end OS is a lot of fun. The themes are the right kind of silly, look good on a CRT, and don't impede the readability of your list of games. It's in an alpha state but seems to work pretty well in my tests so far.

I'm actually on a different CRT than when I posted a few months ago. I wanted something bigger, so I found a big Panasonic 32 inch with curved glass and component inputs. Maybe I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know any decent Discord servers that focus on retro gaming and retro AV topics?

Anything that covers Pi/Mister/CRT/emulation in general would probably be of use to me

So I gave up on using the HDMI to component converter. I got an RGB-Pi and a RGB to Component transcoder from Retrotink. It was pretty easy to setup and I'm kind of blown away how much better it looks. I knew moving up from composite would be a big upgrade, but I'm still impressed. I can't believe people in Europe had this kind of connector while I was slumming with RF and composite.

I also think the RGB-Pi front end OS is a lot of fun. The themes are the right kind of silly, look good on a CRT, and don't impede the readability of your list of games. It's in an alpha state but seems to work pretty well in my tests so far.

I'm actually on a different CRT than when I posted a few months ago. I wanted something bigger, so I found a big Panasonic 32 inch with curved glass and component inputs. Maybe I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

You should take some pics. I'm still looking for a better CRT for my Pi, the one I have works, but the remote is bust (connector rust) so I can't get into the TV menu/settings, and I need to move the image to the right as otherwise 4:3 games cut off a few pixels on one side

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone know any decent Discord servers that focus on retro gaming and retro AV topics?

Anything that covers Pi/Mister/CRT/emulation in general would probably be of use to me

You should take some pics. I'm still looking for a better CRT for my Pi, the one I have works, but the remote is bust (connector rust) so I can't get into the TV menu/settings, and I need to move the image to the right as otherwise 4:3 games cut off a few pixels on one side
The RGB boards. You can ask Laevateinn for example

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I had Lakka installed on the SD card but it stopped working and the green indicator light no longer shows up. I retried reflashing the image but still no green light.

Searching tells me the SD card reader is messed up. Apparently USB boot is supported on 3 B+ but all the tutorials say you have to boot from SD first to enable it (?) which is a nonstarter. Is there an easy way to (a) fix the SD card slot or (b) just boot Lakka from USB without a working SD reader?

I tried just flashing the Lakka image to the USB drive but nothing happens on the Pi, it doesn't seem to even be reading it.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Hi folks, I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I had Lakka installed on the SD card but it stopped working and the green indicator light no longer shows up. I retried reflashing the image but still no green light.

Searching tells me the SD card reader is messed up. Apparently USB boot is supported on 3 B+ but all the tutorials say you have to boot from SD first to enable it (?) which is a nonstarter. Is there an easy way to (a) fix the SD card slot or (b) just boot Lakka from USB without a working SD reader?

I tried just flashing the Lakka image to the USB drive but nothing happens on the Pi, it doesn't seem to even be reading it.

You need to activate USB boot, that isn't in the boot sequence from the start, as you've read. (Cuts down on boot times and so on). And yes, setting that but requires an SD card.

Test the SD card on an other device to make sure it's ok. If yes, then the easiest and cheapest way to proceed is to buy a new Pi. The harder way involves contact cleaner on the SD card reader, followed by soldering in a new reader if that fails. (May or may not work depending on what went wrong with your Pi)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've recently received a free retropie 2 from a friend and found a (hefty) 27in Trinitron also for free from a yard sale. I've spent the past week having my head spin reading various other forums about how to get the best image for my situation (s-video). I have a pass-through device for hdmi to s-video but the output on the screen isn't the right aspect ratio (black bars on either side) and the image is decidedly blurry akin to a composite signal.

Help? Is there a simple edit I can do? I've messed with aspect ratios within a game in retroarch, but the clarity just doesn't seem right - so I'm thinking some signal issues are happening? I did pick up a camcorder cable from the thrift store today to try the 3.5mm port just for comparison, but what do I need to configure that?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've recently received a free retropie 2 from a friend and found a (hefty) 27in Trinitron also for free from a yard sale. I've spent the past week having my head spin reading various other forums about how to get the best image for my situation (s-video). I have a pass-through device for hdmi to s-video but the output on the screen isn't the right aspect ratio (black bars on either side) and the image is decidedly blurry akin to a composite signal.

Help? Is there a simple edit I can do? I've messed with aspect ratios within a game in retroarch, but the clarity just doesn't seem right - so I'm thinking some signal issues are happening? I did pick up a camcorder cable from the thrift store today to try the 3.5mm port just for comparison, but what do I need to configure that?

Did you edit the config file for SDTV output?

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I am planning to buy a Raspberry Pi 4, specifically the Personal Computer Kit to have it all.
I mainly plan to use it for N64 emulation, and I guess some arcade.
Is this a good option? I'm concerned that the Pi 4 maybe doesn't have great N64 emulation performance.
Also, right now should I use RetroPie or Lakka?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I am planning to buy a Raspberry Pi 4, specifically the Personal Computer Kit to have it all.
I mainly plan to use it for N64 emulation, and I guess some arcade.
Is this a good option? I'm concerned that the Pi 4 maybe doesn't have great N64 emulation performance.
Also, right now should I use RetroPie or Lakka?
N64 emulation is not great on even the Pi4. Just fyi

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about swapping out my 8GB Pi 4 with a 4GB for my media server and uh...wow, prices have exploded recently.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody able to use a Raspberry Pi 4 on a VGA CRT at 240p 120hz?

I'm going to pick up a CRT monitor, I'm guessing the usual HDMI -> VGA conversion will work for the normal resolution spec like 640x480, wondering what else I have to do to get those delicious scanlines.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody able to use a Raspberry Pi 4 on a VGA CRT at 240p 120hz?

I'm going to pick up a CRT monitor, I'm guessing the usual HDMI -> VGA conversion will work for the normal resolution spec like 640x480, wondering what else I have to do to get those delicious scanlines.
Yes but very differently so I'm unsure if my answer is even relevant lol. I use mine with a Pi2Jamma to connect to my blast city monitor. Everything looks and runs great!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know how to delete files/ROMs from a Pi3 using just the Pi itself?

I've never been able to get the Wi-fi to work on mine which has been fine as you can add files from a USB stick but I'm at a loss on how to delete them in order to free up space

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to delete files/ROMs from a Pi3 using just the Pi itself?

I've never been able to get the Wi-fi to work on mine which has been fine as you can add files from a USB stick but I'm at a loss on how to delete them in order to free up space

You should be able to do that from the command line. Change directories to the pathway your roms are stored and then do an rm on each file you want to remove.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but very differently so I'm unsure if my answer is even relevant lol. I use mine with a Pi2Jamma to connect to my blast city monitor. Everything looks and runs great!

Never heard of a Pi2Jamma - that's super cool. Definitely a fun project to do - when I actually get my hands on a Pi 4 ;_; RIP these prices.

I did end up testing 240p @ 120Hz with Retroarch on my VGA CRT, with an old PC. I wasn't expecting it to work but lo and behold, it did. All natural scanlines too.

A Pi 4 would look lovely on this, I hope there's a frontend that supports 240p well.

PXL-20221102-192259861.jpg

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know if there are any good Raspberry Pi gaming focused Discord groups?

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else pre-ordering the RPI5? Really hopeful for decent PS2/GameCube emulation but not getting my hopes up.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Anyone else pre-ordering the RPI5? Really hopeful for decent PS2/GameCube emulation but not getting my hopes up.

Speaking of emulation, snipped from the Retropie forum:

retropie.org.uk

Raspberry Pi 5 - official announcement

Raspberry Pi5 coming October 2023 : https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/ Specification : Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-...

Of course the dev-team will work (i guess they allready do) on Retropie-Support for the Pi5.
But it will take some time and there will be no "betas", which is a good descision imo.