• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Okay thanks! So how is working on in remotely/headless from my windows box? Maybe doing an initial setup with a monitor and keyboard and then moving off would work.

Won't even need to do that if you don't care about using the GUI. Just configure SSH to be on in the settings file then find it's IP address in your network.

Then it's as simple as ssh [email protected] in a terminal window.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, is there a reliable tutorial on how to make Retropie (or any other kind of distro I don't care) reliably output a 240p signal to a CRT through composite ? I've tried a few things and they all messed up my install / the way games or the distro is displayed. Currently on Raspi 3.
Thanks !

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hi guys, is there a reliable tutorial on how to make Retropie (or any other kind of distro I don't care) reliably output a 240p signal to a CRT through composite ? I've tried a few things and they all messed up my install / the way games or the distro is displayed. Currently on Raspi 3.
Thanks !

Set the screen resolution to an even multiple 240p and then use the composite as the video out? What exactly is happening when you use the composite video out?

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
RGB-Pi has also released its own CRT emulation frontend/OS thingy forked from Emulationstation, which should make hooking up 240p displays a charm.

Nxsy53V.png

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sega_Astro_City.jpg

I have a Sega Astro city that has been gutted. It has a tv in it with a scart input. It's been used for a few years with an original Xbox in it running an emulator. I've been thinking of putting a raspberry pi in it to run emulators. I really know nothing about raspberry pi's, should I go for a 3B+ or a model 4? which I just saw is new, but not sure which is more suitable.

I'll need some way to connect it to the screen and output the right resolution somehow. Does anyone have experience with this, or can recommend something?
http://www.rgb-pi.com/
I see that it doesn't have support for the raspberry pi 4 yet.

And the thing I'm really stuck on is connecting the controllers. I have 2 Sanwa sticks, 2x 6 button layouts and 2 other buttons for start and coin insert. Does anybody have any ideas on how I would connect the controllers and buttons?
Most of the arcade usb encoders work on the pi.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks !
Are you running on Retropie 4.5? If so, composite output is broken in that build.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Feels a bit silly buying anything Pi 3 based at this point. Will look at that when CM4 is out.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Will I be able to have an Ethernet port on a raspberry pi 4 build? I've never built a raspberry pi before Once emulators are at their full potential, I want to build one that does native emulation but also moonlight to replace my steam link hardware, if it runs even better.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Will I be able to have an Ethernet port on a raspberry pi 4 build? I've never built a raspberry pi before Once emulators are at their full potential, I want to build one that does native emulation but also moonlight to replace my steam link hardware, if it runs even better.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

The Pi 4 board has a built-in gigabit Ethernet port (there's even an official steam link port for Pi 3B/B+)

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm not sure what you're asking.

The Pi 4 board has a built-in gigabit Ethernet port (there's even an official steam link port for Pi 3B/B+)
Ahh awesome. I kind of answered my own question a couple minutes after posting. I was being lazy. I am more curious about moonlight because I hear the latency is better than steam link streaming. I believe it uses Nvidia shields technology. I will definitely grab a pi 4 in the near future.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

There's a built in gigabit ethernet port, Bluetooth, and a Wi-fi adapter that supports 5ghz. You'll not be wanting for network options. I use the local network to get all my roms to it after I rip them on a PC as SSH is just a click away.

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got my Pi 4!

Okay, question. It came with the MicroSD card with NOOBS installed on the card. I was reading it is worth installing the base Raspian Buster with Desktop instead. (just overwrite the NOOBS version on the card)

Should I do that?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I just got my Pi 4!

Okay, question. It came with the MicroSD card with NOOBS installed on the card. I was reading it is worth installing the base Raspian Buster with Desktop instead. (just overwrite the NOOBS version on the card)

Should I do that?

Nothing else works so why not? Just flash it with a tool like Rufus and the official buster download it's like 3 clicks.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Oh okay. So first I will need to install the OS stuff.

So before I do that, I put the PI in the black case that came with it, and attached to my power supply there is a small pouch with 3 heat displacers. Do I need/should I attach those?

I got this kit (4GB) from CanaKit.

I assume you mean heatsinks? Yea a heatsink (and preferably a small fan) is a requirement to prevent throttling and get maximum performance. Place them each on the chips their size corresponds with. I would also grab the latest firmware update as it significantly reduces heat output overall.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you mean heatsinks? Yea a heatsink (and preferably a small fan) is a requirement to prevent throttling and get maximum performance. Place them each on the chips their size corresponds with. I would also grab the latest firmware update as it significantly reduces heat output overall.

Yeah, heatsinks. I have 3. The larger will go on the CPU, but I have one medium and one small. The booklet, nor website tell me where those go. Actually the image in the booklet is not the same as my PI.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost interest at this point, but the RetroFlag GPI case was supposed to have a restock middle of July, and now it is nearly the end of the month and they still haven't said anything.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Okay I am back. Got busy last night! Anyways, I put the large one on the CPU, but I also have a medium and small. Does the medium go on the RAM next to the CPU? What about the tiny one? I looked online and can find nothing about where to put them!

I have these heatsinks. https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-heat-sinks.html

If you want to put them on one of the other exposed parts go ahead it won't hurt anything.

Edit: Also just got confirmation Lakka IS an OS setup.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I still don't understand what Lakka is. Should I still wait for RetroPie?

My Flirc case is arriving Monday so ill have all hardware items. Just waiting on software at that point.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I'm having a hard time using Etcher to burn the new Lakka image to my sd card. I've made sure that the sd card is formatted as FAT32, and downloaded the newest nightly build of the Lakka-RPi2.RPi4.arm-2.2-devel-20190727195256-r28318-g1433b76af3.img.gz file, but when I go to burn it, I get an error from Etcher, stating that "the writer process ended unexpectedly". Anyone know how to get past this issue?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm having a hard time using Etcher to burn the new Lakka image to my sd card. I've made sure that the sd card is formatted as FAT32, and downloaded the newest nightly build of the Lakka-RPi2.RPi4.arm-2.2-devel-20190727195256-r28318-g1433b76af3.img.gz file, but when I go to burn it, I get an error from Etcher, stating that "the writer process ended unexpectedly". Anyone know how to get past this issue?
I'm no expert, but if you're on Windows, try Windows Disk Check Utility. The first thing my mind (and likely those of many more experienced hobbyists here) jumps to is that you got a bad card.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I'm no expert, but if you're on Windows, try Windows Disk Check Utility. The first thing my mind (and likely those of many more experienced hobbyists here) jumps to is that you got a bad card.
Yeah, I've run Disk Check and it claims the drive is fine. I saw some others complaining about this, but it was a year ago and they recommending downgrading to a much, MUCH earlier version of Etcher. I would assume whatever the bug is. it would be fixed by now.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Is the Pi4 that different that it's taking retropoe this long to get a build out? I know this shit takes time but it's been a month, I'd figure they would have builds out by now.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Try rufus

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I still don't understand what Lakka is. Should I still wait for RetroPie?

My Flirc case is arriving Monday so ill have all hardware items. Just waiting on software at that point.

Basically retropie without the retropie branding and skin. Also it's more closesly integrated with the backend retroarch as it's made by the same people.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Any good Raspberry Pi 4 cases yet?
Flirc case is really good, but mine hasn't shipped yet. It passively cools and there is no throttling at normal clock speeds. Not sure if it is good enough if you are into overclocking (I think 1.7 ghz overclock from 1.5 ghz needs active cooling), but for RetroPie/emulation overclocking isn't really needed.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Flirc case is really good, but mine hasn't shipped yet. It passively cools and there is no throttling at normal clock speeds. Not sure if it is good enough if you are into overclocking (I think 1.7 ghz overclock from 1.5 ghz needs active cooling), but for RetroPie/emulation overclocking isn't really needed.
Good to know Retro Pie doesn't need OC.

What size of fan will fit this case?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The Flirc case is built around passively cooling with thermal pads and the case is designed like one big heatsink. There isn't a spot for a fan, if you want to use active cooling you'll have to try another case. The official case is 100% useless as it doesn't passively cool or have room for a fan, i.e., just running the Pi 4 in the official case at stock speeds results in throttling....

I'm not sure what the best case option there is with room for a fan, there aren't too many options in the US right now - some UK shops have different cases and ship to the US. When I pre-ordered the Flirc case a few weeks ago there were almost 0 options other than the poorly designed official case.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Good to know Retro Pie doesn't need OC.

What size of fan will fit this case?
Attempting to put a fan in the flirc case is pointless. The case acts as a heatsink so there's no place to actually put a fan, there are not fins to blow the air through, and there's no openings for the air to escape. Source: I received my Pi 4 flirc case Friday

edit: Dreamcast works on the Pi 4!

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ok, after watching a few tutorials it's not clear if i need an os on the pi card before getting Lakka to run.

Can I do the following?

1. Download nightly build of Lakka
2. Use etcher to write image to sd card
3. Plug card into pi 4 and boot?

Am i missing something or is it really that easy?