• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's been a couple of months since the pi4 and we still don't have a official RetroPie build yet, slightly surprising - yes I know you can instal it through raspbian.

im also surprised that Kintaro and Retroflag are not making updates cases yet.

It's all coming along. Albeit slowly

Well I don't know about Kintaro or Retroflag but retropie is.

New lakka update out. You can now install on the p4 with Noobs. It also increases performance and adds the real time translation feature.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I swear everytime I boot up this thing, something break. I have a huge buyer remorse, and I knew this thing would be super complicated but people assured me it's super easy and all to put RetroPie on this.
Today my controller freaked out but only in the emulator, in EmulationStation it worked perfectly, after one hour I found a « solution » and it was to update RetroPie.
So I did that (it took almost 30 mins) and then it started asking for login/password again, took me another 20 mins to find the solution for autologin but then it didn't want to autoboot EmulationStation.
Another lengthy research and found you have to activate autoboot in RetroPie, after I did that it started again asking for password so I couldn't have autologin and autoboot at the same time, I was about to ragequit and give up but after the 5th attempt it finally worked. Thankfully it did fix my controller.
If I knew I would struggle this much for the littliest thing, I wouldn't have listened and skipped this thing.

Sorry for the rant but it ruined my whole afternoon.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I swear everytime I boot up this thing, something break. I have a huge buyer remorse, and I knew this thing would be super complicated but people assured me it's super easy and all to put RetroPie on this.
Today my controller freaked out but only in the emulator, in EmulationStation it worked perfectly, after one hour I found a « solution » and it was to update RetroPie.
So I did that (it took almost 30 mins) and then it started asking for login/password again, took me another 20 mins to find the solution for autologin but then it didn't want to autoboot EmulationStation.
Another lengthy research and found you have to activate autoboot in RetroPie, after I did that it started again asking for password so I couldn't have autologin and autoboot at the same time, I was about to ragequit and give up but after the 5th attempt it finally worked. Thankfully it did fix my controller.
If I knew I would struggle this much for the littliest thing, I wouldn't have listened and skipped this thing.

Sorry for the rant but it ruined my whole afternoon.

Just a pro-tip that might help save some grief. You should consider all Retropie installs temporary and just keep your roms on a flash drive. It's quite frequently simpler to just download the latest version of retropie and flash a new micro SD card in 5 mintues than to troubleshoot every small issue that a configuration change broke.

alejo0121

Oct 27, 2017
Just a pro-tip that might help save some grief. You should consider all Retropie installs temporary and just keep your roms on a flash drive. It's quite frequently simpler to just download the latest version of retropie and flash a new micro SD card in 5 mintues than to troubleshoot every small issue that a configuration change broke.

Can I add a network folder containing the roms (and saves) to retropie? I recently bought a wireless router that can share drives connected to the router via USB as SMB shares and reading your tip gave me this idea

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Can I add a network folder containing the roms (and saves) to retropie? I recently bought a wireless router that can share drives connected to the router via USB as SMB shares and reading your tip gave me this idea

Yes, but I wouldn't reccomend it. Loading times will be atrocious and anything streaming in assetts will tank performance due to the latency.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Someone is making some slight modifications to the GPi case to allow :

- A 3.5¨ screen
- easy to use rechargeable batteries charging through the USB port
- the use of a Pi 3A+ for a much better gaming experience

Details will be released soon enough

In the mean time Akuma mods has a 40$ goi mod kit for batteries that doesn't requiere any modification to the board itself, just the soldering of 1 component and 3-4 solder points.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I tried to update to the new Lakka image but the updates failed. It downloaded but there was an error on the reboot. Is that a common issue? Should I try again, or wipe and restart?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any worthwhile portable raspberry pi devices with sd/microsd slot support? Pref. Size would be about a small classic gameboy with 4 face buttons and one that could run up til sega mega drive games and uses an android interface if possible.

Edit- is retrostone 2 worth it?
Maybe the Retroflag GPI, but I'm not sure how powerful the Pi Zero is as far as emulation.

MekaDragon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys, I've purchased a Raspberry Pi4 (the first Raspberry I have bought), and I don't know if it would be better just to install officially supported Lakka, or the unofficially supported RetroPie, what do you recommend?

Also, how do someone update the firmware of one of these? Firmware means "linux kernel"?

Thank you!

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
How do early 3d arcade games (p.e. Tekken 2, Ridge Racer, Sega Rally Soul Blade) run on a R Pi today?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm kinda thinking about getting this sometime soon, because I badly want to play all the Zelda games I've missed out on. Mostly talking about the handheld ones. I've also never finished ALTTP, crazy, I know, but I got the Switch for that. Do retro games also have options to make the picture a little enhanced, like I believe the Retron can?

kin

Nov 3, 2017
People with a pi4: what are the advantages over the pi3? Is the emulation in general more stable? 2 or 4gb version?

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a 3d printer and would like to build a little arcade. Anyone know of cool plans for something I could print with a 150x150x150 bed?
I'd prefer vertical orientation.

Is there a 3d printing thread on here?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm having an issue with my Pi3 and I'm not sure if it's a Pi issue or a controller issue

I've used my Pi a lot over the last 2 years, but during Phantasy Star IV my controller would randomly disconnect. The controller (8bitdo NES30) light would remain on, but it would no longer work

I don't have a keyboard plugged in as my Pi is under my TV so I don't have any other way to reset the system, and turning the controller off and on doesn't reconnect it

I basically have to yank out the plug, put it back in again, reconnect the controller and reload the ROM to resume playing

I started Einhander tonight and in 30mins of play this happened twice. I'm not sure if I need a new controller or if my Pi is fucking up. I've had it since mid 2017 and have probably put 200-300 hours of use into it. Hopefully it's not on it's last legs

Anyone have any idea what's going on, or suggestions on how this can be checked/tested/resolved?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm having an issue with my Pi3 and I'm not sure if it's a Pi issue or a controller issue

I've used my Pi a lot over the last 2 years, but during Phantasy Star IV my controller would randomly disconnect. The controller (8bitdo NES30) light would remain on, but it would no longer work

I don't have a keyboard plugged in as my Pi is under my TV so I don't have any other way to reset the system, and turning the controller off and on doesn't reconnect it

I basically have to yank out the plug, put it back in again, reconnect the controller and reload the ROM to resume playing

I started Einhander tonight and in 30mins of play this happened twice. I'm not sure if I need a new controller or if my Pi is fucking up. I've had it since mid 2017 and have probably put 200-300 hours of use into it. Hopefully it's not on it's last legs

Anyone have any idea what's going on, or suggestions on how this can be checked/tested/resolved?

2 questions, does the game freeze up as well when this happens? Second could you try a fresh install of (I assume is retropie) your emulation software to make sure it's not a software issue.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
2 questions, does the game freeze up as well when this happens? Second could you try a fresh install of (I assume is retropie) your emulation software to make sure it's not a software issue.

Nah the game carries on, it even seems to lock the controller inputs in place as the game disconnects

In Einhander, it disconnects and seems to freeze the input so my ship kept shooting and moving to the top right until It died

nded

Nov 14, 2017
My GPi Case just came in. This thing is weird because the screen resolution is not at all suitable for Gameboy games. Genesis/Mega drive games look great though.
NV5I5Ga.jpg

sox

Oct 27, 2017
So what extra hardware do I need to setup a Raspberry Pi Zero to use it in a Retroflag GPi?

I already have a bunch of SD cards, a rpi 3 and all the accompanying cables.

Problem I see is the non standard size USB slots on the Zero.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
So what extra hardware do I need to setup a Raspberry Pi Zero to use it in a Retroflag GPi?

I already have a bunch of SD cards, a rpi 3 and all the accompanying cables.

Problem I see is the non standard size USB slots on the Zero.
Nothing. Just a zero and an sdcard

If you want to use rechargeable batteries that will be charged through the power connector then you can get a 40$ kit from akuma mods

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the 8bitdo controller. It seems like it's unable to connect wirelessly now

If I plug it in, it works fine and I don't lose input at all. It will sometimes connect wirelessly when I turn it on now, but it always loses it the soon as I load a ROM

I've played a few hours plugged in now, and it's fine.

Has anyone here had experience of 8bitdo controllers losing the ability to connect wirelessly?

If not, I need to find out what kind of USB wire the controller uses so I can order a longer one because I've had to sit on the carpet to use the short one the controller comes with

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I asked 8bitdo support what kind of cable they use for the controller so I can order one and they're asking for my receipt for when I got the controller back in 2017

It's just a simple question why do I need to give you my receipt?

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I asked 8bitdo support what kind of cable they use for the controller so I can order one and they're asking for my receipt for when I got the controller back in 2017

It's just a simple question why do I need to give you my receipt?
They probably want to check if you inside of warranty or something so they can just send you one. Still the wrong response though, they should just say we might be able to send you one and its a USB C if you don't want a free one.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They probably want to check if you inside of warranty or something so they can just send you one.

Maybe, the cable is fine though, it's just short. It's fine for charging but as the wireless functionally has stopped working I'd need a longer one

I've had the controller over 2 years so I doubt it's in warranty and I doubt they'd send me an entirely new controller (that would be nice though!)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the 8bitdo controller. It seems like it's unable to connect wirelessly now

If I plug it in, it works fine and I don't lose input at all. It will sometimes connect wirelessly when I turn it on now, but it always loses it the soon as I load a ROM

I've played a few hours plugged in now, and it's fine.

Has anyone here had experience of 8bitdo controllers losing the ability to connect wirelessly?

If not, I need to find out what kind of USB wire the controller uses so I can order a longer one because I've had to sit on the carpet to use the short one the controller comes with

I've run into something oddly similar to this, where my 8Bitdo wireless adapter (the grey "brick" one sold to work with the Playstation Classic, w/ fully updated firmware) connects perfectly fine to the main Lakka interface, but disconnects immediately upon loading any games. I've done a fresh SD card installation, and I've updated everything I normally do so I have a "blank" slate, but the issue persists.

I'm using the adapter alongside an XB1 controller.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've run into something oddly similar to this, where my 8Bitdo wireless adapter (the grey "brick" one sold to work with the Playstation Classic, w/ fully updated firmware) connects perfectly fine to the main Lakka interface, but disconnects immediately upon loading any games. I've done a fresh SD card installation, and I've updated everything I normally do so I have a "blank" slate, but the issue persists.

I'm using the adapter alongside an XB1 controller.

That's the same issue I'm having

It worked fine for a year and now it's an issue

I just use mine with a Pi 3

What model do you have? I have a NES30pro

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I have given up trying to setup retroarch on my Pi cause I could never get the metadata online scrubbing to work for some reason... Anyway, I have acquired an Nvidia Shield since so I will probably set it up on there instead which means that I now have a Pi 3b sitting unused on my desk... I need to find a use for it lol

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a GPi on Saturday and spent a little bit of time getting PicoPi running on it having never done any Pi configuration before. Kinda annoying but now I can run my lil 2017 game jam game on this thing so mission accomplished!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I have given up trying to setup retroarch on my Pi cause I could never get the metadata online scrubbing to work for some reason... Anyway, I have acquired an Nvidia Shield since so I will probably set it up on there instead which means that I now have a Pi 3b sitting unused on my desk... I need to find a use for it lol

The metadata database no longer supports the way retropie attempts to scrape it. You'll run into this on anything you install retropie to.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's been a couple of years for me, but iirc I did the scraping on my PC, probably because I was having similar issues as yourself. There are tools for that, and it's much faster too.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to create a new thread, but I'll start here: Can someone recommend a good case for the RPi 4? I want something with REALLY good cooling. I have had throttling issues with my RPi 3 because of overheating, and I don't want that to be an issue with the 4. I don't care if it's a larger case, either. I don't need it to be the size of a deck of cards. My priority is to airflow.

Thanks in advance.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I was going to create a new thread, but I'll start here: Can someone recommend a good case for the RPi 4? I want something with REALLY good cooling. I have had throttling issues with my RPi 3 because of overheating, and I don't want that to be an issue with the 4. I don't care if it's a larger case, either. I don't need it to be the size of a deck of cards. My priority is to airflow.

Thanks in advance.

This seems pretty solid, but my Pi 4 case is the size of a small microwave so I'm not really sure lol

edit: if you don't care about size something custom built may be ideal? perhaps using as big a fan as you could power with the GIOP with an ideal case built around that. Or even a separately powered and operated fan, which I use in my setup (unfortunately). I'm not a veteran of this stuff at all and pretty new, you'd definitely want to get some more, better opinions. I will provide that in my experience the Pi 4 runs pretty hot when not actively cooled.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Hey guys, I'm completely new to the Raspberry Pi but I wanted to get one so I wanted to ask you guys for your thoughts, and help.

I have no interest in building my own but I'd like to know of pre-built Pi's that have the most up to date emulation and games installed. Can you guys please link or DM me if we can't post that here?