• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
The social media team for Raspberry Pi is having a day.

View: https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status/1600761840367448064?t=X9t-5LaqyEYOHNqdEA04UA&s=19

"I used to be a police officer tackling serious organised crime and terror threats across the east of the UK," Toby tells us. "I was a Technical Surveillance Officer for 15 years, so I built stuff to hide video, audio, and other covert gear. You really don't want your sensitive police equipment discovered, so I'd disguise it as something else, like a piece of street furniture or a household item. The variety of tools and equipment I used then really shaped what I do today."

As you might imagine, people were concerned with the notion that a former surveillance officer was now working with Raspberry Pi, considering the release put out didn't specify what exactly this guy was doing for them. Was Raspberry Pi planning on inserting surveillance code into their products and if not, why are they hiring ex-cops? (to make lightsabers, apparently, according to their official mastodon account)

The social media team responded like any modern brand on social media: with attitude, and blocks.

View: https://twitter.com/jakejarvis/status/1600847484905197568?t=FC6kOtUID0FW1e8myZUI4A&s=19

It's been a very good lesson on why you should hire an experienced and diverse management team. Because they're currently tanking their brand reputation among the tech circles who use their products the most.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Toby tells us. "I was a Technical Surveillance Officer for 15 years, so I built stuff to hide video, audio, and other covert gear. You really don't want your sensitive police equipment discovered, so I'd disguise it as something else, like a piece of street furniture or a household item. The variety of tools and equipment I used then really shaped what I do today."

Sounds great, Toby!

Guess I'll never buy one of their products again. At least they were up-front about it, i suppose.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this seems to me like one of those things that could be non-story with a good social media response, but instead they're choosing to ignore and antagonize their fans. Dumb choice. Of course people are a little wary when the new hire is a guy who specializes in hiding surveillance equipment, touting his skill in making sure his surveillance can't be found.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Several people thought this would be a good idea.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What a ... weird thing. "WE HIRED A COP!" ... "okay... why does that matter?" "STOP BULLYING I'M BLOCKING YOU"

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything about this is truly bizarre. Not just the responses, but that they felt the need to announce it like this in the first place. How odd

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a weird non story but their response makes it one. Very weird

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
They made that post just to stir shit up and be antagonistic. "hey tony, can you burn some public good will before you punch out today?"

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
They are clearly not handling it well, but also, just let the ex police be happy with his new job in gaming

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Basically a tiny computer that can fit in your pocket. You can install Linux on it and do a ton of cool things with it. It's a really good educational project for students as well.

The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing, and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It's capable of doing everything you'd expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there any point in speaking about hiring decisions like this unless it's to announce a CEO or addressing a public controversy rather than creating one? feels like it would have been in a trade publication barely anyone would have read back in the day, but now it's a thing that terminally online people can see and be annoyed about

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
need to go back to not having forward facing employees in your company. You know whats great? A brand who just manages their main brand social media accounts and thats it. Not also juggling every single employee, its dumb and hopefully they're learning the lesson that its unneeded.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
They are clearly not handling it well, but also, just let the ex police be happy with his new job in gaming
in this new world of IoT things surreptitiously phoning home and diming you out, people worried about companies suddenly taking a friendly to law and order stance is more than reasonable. And if the company response is to get as defensive as a 12 year old caught in a lie, that's more than noticeable.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Raspberry pi isn't gaming, while a lot of people use it for retro pi it has a ton of other uses, including as a small working computer.

As for why it's bad, this guy working for the police specialized in essentially making spy gear for them, devices smaller, hiding things in other things, etc... so people who use RPi's for privacy or security stuff watching the company hire someone who spied for the police isn't a great look for a lot of their users.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
It's been a very good lesson on why you should hire an experienced and diverse management team. Because they're currently tanking their brand reputation among the tech circles who use their products the most.
IMHO, they've tanked their reputation far more since their products have been impossible to find in stock anywhere for some time. I know that they're not responsible for the world's supply chain woes, but I can get a PS5/Xbox/Steam Deck with relative ease now. It's still impossible to get a PI or Pi Zero at MSRP.

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i dont understand the initial blowback. Is this guy, because he used to be a cop, not allowed to work anywhere else ever again? Thats such a nothing to be mad about, no wonder they started blocking people.

Oct 27, 2017
is there any point in speaking about hiring decisions like this unless it's to announce a CEO or addressing a public controversy rather than creating one? feels like it would have been in a trade publication barely anyone would have read back in the day, but now it's a thing that terminally online people can see and be annoyed about
Quite a lot of companies will 'highlight' regular employees and give some context on their background etc. as a way to promote the company's diverse hiring culture. Sometimes this is in the form of a social media 'takeover', or sometimes through posts like this.

OP
OP
Maolfunction

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
IMHO, they've tanked their reputation far more since their products have been impossible to find in stock anywhere for some time. I know that they're not responsible for the world's supply chain woes, but I can get a PS5/Xbox/Steam Deck with relative ease now. It's still impossible to get a PI or Pi Zero at MSRP.
Yeah, I've been unhappy with them for a while due to how they've abandoned their ideals to pursue big corporate contracts instead. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but they're acting like they're the only fish in the pond able to do whatever they want when there's plenty of alternatives that the people who work in the tech space can use instead.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So i dont understand the initial blowback. Is this guy, because he used to be a cop, not allowed to work anywhere else ever again? Thats such a nothing to be mad about, no wonder they started blocking people.

You really don't understand why people are unhappy that they're gloating about hiring a cop who admits he used their equipment to spy on people for years?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
All they had to do was say, "haha, no, we aren't going to spy on anyone! He's actually doing ______"

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be a bit more okay if he wasn't talking up his history of spying on people. Like....that's not something to brag about.
It sounds like he's talking about how his experience is relevant. He likes building things and tinkering and whatnot. Now he gets to do it in a more productive capacity.

You hear "cop hired for an electronics company" and you think "that doesn't make any sense," but the dude was doing electronics stuff for the cops and it starts to click, yeah?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, don't care. I thought they were supposed to be uniforms one could take off, and not their identity.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It sounds like he's talking about how his experience is relevant. He likes building things and tinkering and whatnot. Now he gets to do it in a more productive capacity.

You hear "cop hired for an electronics company" and you think "that doesn't make any sense," but the dude was doing electronics stuff for the cops and it starts to click, yeah?

Exactly. The internet was a mistake.

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't understand why people are unhappy that they're gloating about hiring a cop who admits he used their equipment to spy on people for years?
He admitted to working on police tech, his job. Yeah, who cares? Does he have misconduct on his record? A racist, maybe? Any of that? We don't know, so its based purely on his old profession and yeah, I dont get it. It screams Extremely Online nonsense fuckery.

imax

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to interrupt your discussion but I think it's worth adding some extra context that it's a guy who specifically worked in counter-terrorism in the UK - a place where policing is very different to the pseudo-military, overfunded US system. The optics are bad from a surface standpoint but he doesn't deserve the abuse in some of the hidden tweets, and I don't think it's unreasonable to block those responsible for that.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

I can see how people would find the surveillance aspect troubling without context.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Hiring the dude to make stuff: fine. It's not like he's currently a cop.

Promoting "we hired a cop whose specialty is spying on people, in order to build mini computers inside your house" and then going nuclear on social media because people express that they don't like cops that specialize in spying on people building mini computers inside their homes: not fine. Could've just kept their mouth shut and just have him do his job.

It actually makes sense that someone with experience making mini tech would be a good hire for a mini tech company. It doesn't make sense to fucking be like "look, we just scored a surveillance expert to help with mini tech in your home! Look look look!!!"

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ask yourself how tech people in general feel about tech companies putting spyware or hidden surveillance shit in their products. Now look at what this guy's area of expertise was and how his hiring is messaged. They should've easily seen this coming. If he were something like an ex-homicide detective or hostage negotiator it probably would be a very different reaction.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
They don't even come with an operating system, how do people think this "hidden code" would work?

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Ask yourself how tech people in general feel about tech companies putting spyware or hidden surveillance shit in their products. Now look at what this guy's area of expertise was and how his hiring is messaged. They should've easily seen this coming. If he were something like an ex-homicide detective or hostage negotiator it probably would be a very different reaction.

tbh he probably utilized raspberry pi to help catch crooks, not coding surveillance into raspberry pi's or anything like that

He's probably as much of a raspberry pi enthusiast as the customers hes now serving

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
"WE HIRED A COP!"

Yeah, that'll really get people on your side...

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
tbh he probably utilized raspberry pi to help catch crooks, not coding surveillance into raspberry pi's or anything like that

He's probably as much of a raspberry pi enthusiast as the customers hes now serving
Probably. I might feel kind of bad for the guy, but the announcement and reaction to the backlash just has me questioning if anyone involved on their end has spent a significant amount of time on the internet lol.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This seems like a weird non story but their response makes it one. Very weird

Agreed. There's nothing newsworthy here besides their response.

Also, to everyone suggesting the public response was justified because people are concerned that raspberry pi are going to start hiding surveillance tech in their products... why the hell would they make this announcement if that was their plan? What kind of maniac starts their secret surveillance plan by announcing they've hired a secret surveillance expert?