• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I'm about to finish Rift Apart, and don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game. But I think it is being kinda short, like the 2016 reboot, so I decided to see if my memory was playing tricks with me and...

oXQDkIg.png
Fft4UuS.png

...and then I started to think that the 80€ price is totally unjustified.

Sure this game is amazing and looks nuts, but the 2016 one also was like this and costed less than half.

What do you think? In my opinion companies should deliver better and longer experiences if they are going to charge more for their products.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: some people are focusing in the length of the game, but the point that I'm trying to make, is that both games provide similar experiences (at their launch times), but one cost significantly more than the other.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game length has absolutely nothing to do with quality or value or worth of said game.

I'd oftentimes much rather buy a 10-15 hour game at full price than an 80-100 hour game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think the 80€ price is justifiable, but the 2016 game is a remake that was made in 10 months. Not comparable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's complicated. I personally don't want to spend $70 on a game I'll finish in a weekend, but I also hesitate to think game pricing should be dependent on game length. How do you price short games? How do you price long games?

It's a slippery slope, and if you introduce variable pricing into the mix you could see every developer flood their game with mandatory filler content in order to justify a higher price point.

Hieronymus Bosch

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2021
People pay $20+ at the movies for a 2 hour experience.

looking at time + price isn't the right way of going about it

Last of Us + Uncharted were only a few hours longer than this game.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I'm about to finish Rift Apart, and don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game. But I think it is being kinda short, like the 2016 reboot, so I decided to see if my memory was playing tricks with me and...

oXQDkIg.png
Fft4UuS.png

Sure this game is amazing and looks nuts, but the 2016 one also was like this and costed less than half.

What do you think? In my opinion companies should deliver better and longer experiences if they are going to charge more for their products.
80 euros is unjustifiable but for god sake, 10-20 hours of duration is perfect in this kind of game, I don't want longer games, I want better games and that does not depend of the duration

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Took me 15 hours to 100% it. I enjoyed 2016 just as much but RA is still a fine Ratchet.

£54.99 and we're somewhat talking

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think we can all agree that Sony is going to reevaluate their pricing structure in the next year or so.

Between the new rise of chatter around game costs, mostly due to the rising pressure from Game Pass, they just don't have much of an excuse.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think we can all agree that Sony is going to reevaluate their pricing structure in the next year or so.

Between the new rise of chatter around game costs, mostly due to the rising pressure from Game Pass, they just don't have much of an excuse.

Yeah, just like Nintendo will start to cut their prices because of GP...

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You guys complain all the time about the lack of next-gen only experiences - yet also complain about the prices needed to make it viable for publishers. Why would they even bother with a next-gen only game if they cant charge more for it while having to spent more on development ?

If consoles and games are too expensive - just wait for pricedrops. Owning these systems and games day 1 is a privilege and not something that every can justify.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's bullshit. But it didn't impact sales, so they will probably continue this.

There will be only very few games that I am willing to spend that kind of money on.

Good thing is, most things go on sale eventually.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

Disagree. I don't want games being made to some sort of arbitrary length. I bought Rift Apart and I'm probably half way through and I'm much content with that than where I'm at with AC: Valhalla, having spent about 4 or 5 times as many hours on that but can't face picking it up anymore, knowing I've still got probably twice as much still to go.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This mentality is why we have games like AC that takes +100 hours to finish filled with shit so boring to go through. $X/hour is the worst metric ever, and people should stop using it as if every game should be +50 hour or $30.

This would make sense if not for the fact every other publisher except EA and Xbox is doing the exact same thing. Yet somehow, Sony apparently is the only one selling games for full price instead of putting them day 1 on a sub.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Not going to happen with how well they're doing.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I agree that €80 is ridiculous. I don't agree that using game length as a measuring stick is correct.

Here's hoping Sony reevaluates their pricing (lol)

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Just go get an Xbox and Game Pass if you're looking for quantity over quality. Rift Apart is an amazing game and a technological marvel and i've enjoyed it way more than the 2016 game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

There's pretty much no reason to think they will, especially as more publishers get on the next gen tax wagon (EA joining Sony, Acti and Take-Two), in another year I wonder how many more will be charging as much, now that they actually have stuff to release and BF, FIFA, NBA and CoD have further kicked that door down.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hate the new price... Hey, at least it's a new game. Nintendo, on the other hand, expects me to pay $60 for ROMs and HD ports, which is much worse IMO.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think there's any denying that Rift Apart looks like it was very expensive to make

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I'm about to finish Rift Apart, and don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game.

Rift Apart is one of the most spectacular games I played and well worth the price of Digital Deluxe I payed for it. If it's not worth it to you based on length, that's fine but it's not some universal truth.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, rift apart is also notably, notably better than 2016, so meh, length isn't the only factor in these things.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer devs don't pad out their games to artificially increase playtime.

Should've done research before you bought the game and waited for it to come down in price.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So you want variable pricing? So what, Valhalla is worth $150 since it's a 100 hour game?

I beat RE8 in 7 hours and never played the extra modes, so clearly $60 is a scam right?

This is a bad way to look at things. Price to length doesn't work since it can be subjective.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017

Nobody can agree to that. The market will control the price, the only way they will change is if they lose money. Not based on some forum whining.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
www.hotukdeals.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) £54.99 delivered Using Code @ Currys PC World - hotukdeals

Ratchet and Clank are back for another adventure, and this time there's rifts you can use to travel from planet to planet. The latest game from Insomniac games,

(still too expensive)
Heh, yeah I paid £52 and still feel that it's expensive as hell.

I think your best bet is to just buy these games 3-4 months after launch, used. You should be able to pay £30-40 (which is still expensive, given the fact that you'd be able to cop these games for £40 day 1 not too long ago)

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019

It doesn't matter how it's perceived, if it sells they'll keep the price.