• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dodger

Banned
May 30, 2020
When I pre-ordered yesterday it said the download was 42 gigs. Hopefully that was a place holder.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Yeah, they had a few PS4 games that were reduced using these techniques I think? It's deffo helping with reducing the PS5 file sizes too. I believe it's using some kind of magic.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was originally concerned about the PS5 SSD size going into the gen, but seeing games using the compression techniques get this small, it's alleviating those concerns.

Now what I really wanna see is if Intergrade managed to shrink its file size.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Jesus. We're still on Year 1 and look how things are evolving already lol.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see, especially with the ssd size of the console not being as large as I would of hoped initially.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Amazing stuff and let's the available space push above their weight compared to PS4. I just hope Sony fixes a few silly storage management and patch decisions. I can't believe patches still need initially more space than the size of the actual patch. But anyways, great to see file sizes being so small. Exceeded my expectations.
Is this just Insomniac being wizards or do you think this is going to be more of a standard practice moving forward?
Standard.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Seriously impressive.

Not to beat a dead horse, but another reason cross gen is annoying

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Go on Playstion OT some reviewer has the games and it seems a 15-20 hours game.

Another funny things when game will push more RT or software RT like Lumen, it means no light maps and game size will decrease too.
is that story alone, does that include rushing through the game? its hard to tell from reviewers sometimes. and harder to navigate the Playstation OT to find what you want sometimes lol

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Most games on PSN in EU/NA regions are the same when released simultaneously. It's kinda strange that the US version is smaller. I buy most of my games on US PSN and 99% of the time, games available in French on EU PSN are likewise on US PSN.

slothrop

ā–² Legend ā–²
Aug 28, 2019
USA
So people's reaction seems to be that this is particularly small -- what were baseline expectations then, and why?

Oct 28, 2017
Most games on PSN in EU/NA regions are the same when released simultaneously. It's kinda strange that the US version is smaller. I buy most of my games on US PSN and 99% of the time, games available in French on EU PSN are likewise on US PSN.

Maybe the european has bigger langueage support / localised voice acting.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maybe there is hope for next gen call of duty
Not holding my breath lol

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
is that story alone, does that include rushing through the game? its hard to tell from reviewers sometimes. and harder to navigate the Playstation OT to find what you want sometimes lol

This is on average just finish the game some rare people rushing the game finish it in 11-12 h. The platinium is easy and only a few more hours but there are tons of other things to complete the game after the plantinium trophy. the completion is probably double than this 24 to 30h. And there are some difficulty level for a second run.

This is a big R&C game.

And like modiz told the game is big and the quality of assets is much higher than R&C Remake 2016.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oodle Kraken and the SSD doing a great job here. Awesome! Time to start my preload if my PS5 didn't start it automatically already.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I remember when small file sizes were considered bad, and people got hyped when a game had a large one because they thought it meant more content.

Funny to see things flip.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
curious what you mean by this. This game's not cross-gen, but other cross-gen games the size on PS5 has been much smaller as well (Control, Subnautica, Crash 4).

oh never mind then šŸ˜‚

I get that compression is one thing, but also...didn't Cerny say that a PS4 game has multiple of the same assets due to the nature of HDD speed.

Can't imagine that they go back to remove duplicaten assets?

But I'm probably wrong lol.

For example: Miles Morales is 50 gb on PS4 and PS5. I get that the PS5 has better assets, but recon the game could have been smaller if they didnt have to duplicate?

Regardless, it's a bit of a non issue a few gbs when games like Call of Duty are close to 200 lol