• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Toy Story was surpassed years and years ago:

Lighting, environments, humans, textures, etc have been better since early PS4 generation. Of course it's way cleaner due to the fact that isn't generated in real time but...you guys remember this movie in a better light than it really is.

It was ground breaking at the time for sure though.
Yea, you're probably right. 😁 I do have nostalgia glasses on but when I say "surpassed" I feel like we surpassed Toy Story graphics at the start of last gen but not in all aspects of graphics. This is the first time I think we've surpassed those old CG in very aspect (from lighting to character models and everything inbetween).

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Is all that activity and density in the environment due to the difference between low powered mobile cpus and Zen2 cpus?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There's so many bits from this trailer I want to GIF. You really have to play this stuff back at half-speed to really take in everything you're seeing.

purple_gun_v2n4jpy.gif

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Toy Story was surpassed years and years ago:

SidPhillips.jpg

Toy-Story-photos-4.jpg

Lighting, environments, humans, textures, etc have been better since early PS4 generation. Of course it's way cleaner due to the fact that isn't generated in real time but...you guys remember this movie in a better light than it really is.

It was ground breaking at the time for sure though.
Yep, the movie was also re-rendered (remastered?😉) so it used to look a bit worse though it was hard to tell on a VHS.
vhs-dvd.png

Lighting is what gives 2000's Pixar that extra kick in their visuals and I believe games are nearly there, it just depends on type of game:
kingdom-hearts-toy-story.jpg

Now 2010s Pixar, yeah they are out of control, maybe we'll catch up in PS6:
19609_5.jpg

Ratchet looks crazy though, especially for everything that its doing on screen.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This looks absolutely bananas on a Vizio P Series Quantum. The color and brightness are insane, even for a YouTube video.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Is all that activity and density in the environment due to the difference between low powered mobile cpus and Zen2 cpus?
More than that, because they only need to load 1 second of gameplay in memory vs 30 seconds which also allows for doing a lot more with a game. At least that's part of it now too plus more powerful GPUs.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Insomniac are basically doing the same again with the PS5, but this time with Miles Morales and Rift Apart. They're an incredibly competent and efficient studio. Hats off to them.

I imagine they have a PSVR2 game cooking as well given all the Oculus games they made before getting bought. Plus they have Spidey 2 going? You have to admire the consistency.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
This damn game is coming out in the first half of 2021 and looks like this. Can't imagine how 2025+ games will look.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I just saw from her social media feed that Jennifer Hale is voicing Rivet. The Queen. I'm even more excited than I was when I posted this morning.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't preorder or buy single player games at full price but I couldn't resist on this one. I still had a Best Buy gift card from Christmas to put to use anyway. Now just have to hold out to June 11th!

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
everything was captured real-time on PS5
I'm not a tech guy but then why do the graphics look noticeably better in the cutscenes? Like the character models and other aspects. If you splice out the cutscene segments in the trailer and show only the pure gameplay it takes away some of the wow factor for the graphics. Is it just because you can do cinematic camera angles in cutscenes or what?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a tech guy but then why do the graphics look noticeably better in the cutscenes? Like the character models and other aspects. If you splice out the cutscene segments in the trailer and show only the pure gameplay it takes away some of the wow factor for the graphics. Is it just because you can do cinematic camera angles in cutscenes or what?

I'm not sure but the in-gameplay graphics look better to me because you see all these shiny effects and set pieces with the rail-grinding and dimension hopping and pew pew pew, BOOM BOOM, sexy rabbit lady cloning.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
cutscenes are designed to look good all the time. Hand placed lighting to make every single shot look the best it can, you're always zoomed in on the models so they're at their highest level of detail, etc. You can't have that level of control in a game with a player controlled camera(you'd literally have random light sources floating around all the time.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018

because with cutscenes you're not spending resources on gameplay stuff like enemy ai or streaming for example, so you can transfer those resources to higher quality character models and better shadow effects. It's pretty standard stuff in all games

Oct 26, 2017
It's daft, but watching that a part of me isn't impressed because my brain is insisting that it's CG.
Incredible work from Insomniac, as always.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
it'll probably be slightly faster even by the time you play it in June. 🔥

I'm just blown away by this. Anyone else going nuts over this statement like I am? Insomniac Games are wizards!

This looks amazing. But in the second gif, does anyone else get slightly off-put by the fact that you see the second dimension before the white flash of light. Not trying to nit-pick but I wish it was not visible before the flash.

Not at all. It makes me even more hyped for this generation to see near instant load times will be possible this gen. 😍

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
honestly, even without James Arnold Taylor being a right wing dickhead, I would be fine with this

Ratchet as a character is so far removed from the original PS2 series that he's kinda lame now with all the retcons and smoothing his rough edges so much that he's a cuddly plush toy now

I mean we don't even know how Rivet will end up as though... maybe we should see how she plays as a character before assuming she's already better than Ratchet.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
There's so many bits from this trailer I want to GIF. You really have to play this stuff back at half-speed to really take in everything you're seeing.

purple_gun_v2n4jpy.gif
The way the explosion lights up the metal arch and platform is just *chef's kiss*. Also, that shockwave ripple looks so good. And Rivet's movement while strafing? I need to stop looking at this

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
this shit looks incredible. between this and Returnal my PS5 is finally going to be getting some attention

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
long uninteresting game development story yada yada yada it won't be as strong in the final game.
Any chance we'll get a look at the performance mode before launch like we did with Miles? Game looks incredible and I want to see how that mode holds up. The team has been really flexing this gen and we're just getting started!

Aug 30, 2020
Like I've enjoyed Ratchet & Clank but I'm not a superfan. But there has been such a dearth of PS5 exclusives that the game is now a must buy for me. This is a very Nintendo-like situation I find myself in.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ok, this is an actual next gen looking game.

Still can't get ahold of a ps5, but hey, I can buy the game and stare at the case.