• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
The game looks impressive but really arent seeing the comments about this being "the best looking game ever."
I can see how artistically it might not be everyone's favorite but getting past that and looking at what's going on and the scale, I don't see any game coming close to this currently. Best looking game on the console? no doubt, while also being Insomniacs best looking game to date.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics look amazing of course. Gameplay has some cool aspects but doesn't do enough to shake the tired feeling I have for these games. Will definitely pick it up down the road.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I want cross gen games to die off. When the power of the PS5 is really leveraged it can do some impressive stuff.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
oh yea, that youtube 4k capture looks far cleaner than it did on stream bit rate, looks so, so beautiful.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Now that i'm watching this 4k video: Holy shit, this has to be the best looking game ever, i'm seriously impressed, and the density of the environments with all those flying ships in the city and all the animals in the forest planet, i can't wait for this game.

Watching in 4K is the only way to really appreciate what is going on here. Nothing else comes even remotely close. And we haven't even seen it running in HDR yet.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Excited and blown away by the visuals. No mention of the 3D audio so it'll be interesting to see if it has the same muffle issue as MM and Astro. My hope is that at least all the 1st party and Sony partnered/funded games going forward will be DeS level at least. I'm fine with turning it off for 3rd party titles and BC games if I must.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
the wall running and dodging, and giving Ratchet some rocket boots to hover with when he doesn't have Clank, all good stuff that makes me excited for some more interesting platforming in this game

Excited and blown away by the visuals. No mention of the 3D audio so it'll be interesting to see if it has the same muffle issue as MM and Astro. My hope is that at least all the 1st party and Sony partnered/funded games going forward will be DeS level at least. I'm fine with turning it off for 3rd party titles and BC games if I must.

3D audio got a brief call-out when he was describing the density of the alien worlds

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, looks okay I guess...

This is the best looking video game ever seen. We're living in the future homies, and Insomniac has taken us there.

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021
I've missed this type of game. I want a fully modern game with the same creativity and fun but modern controls and graphics. We definitely don't get them often enough. Insomniac looks like it's going to deliver exactly that.
The overwhelmingly positive reaction is expected, Insomniac are wizards. Crazy to think they're about to release a cross-gen 40$ game, a remastered version of Spider-Man, and a the first true next gen showcase in like 8 months.

Last edited:

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Great visuals, but after playing Ratchet and Clank 2016 at 60 fps, this looks janky.
Hope they wont have to sacriface to mutch on the 60 fps version, because next gen should leave 30 fps behind.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Looks truly incredible, feels next gen, I know 60fps is better in terms of gameplay but honestly, I am playing that 30fps mode for the visuals just like with Miles.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most beautiful game I've ever seen. Man, seeing what this game looks like made me wish Sony would do more colorful platformers like this. Astro's Playroom got me back into games after I got bored for awhile. I'd kill for a Jak & Daxter reboot by ND, or even a new AAA platformer in general.

Insomniac are just gods. They don't need a huge budget to make magic. Look at how often they release top quality games, it's insane to me. Best acquisition Sony has made in a really long time. Insomniac are setting the bar right now. Their efficiency is unmatched.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
3D audio got a brief call-out when he was describing the density of the alien worlds
Oh that's right, I stand corrected. That gives me some confidence.

How or why some games sound worse with it enabled is still a mystery to the general public. My hope is most launch games didn't sound so great because they didn't have the time/know-how to "optimize" (whatever that means in this context) and it'll only get better with each first party offering.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I think the series can really benefit from two ongoing protagonist paths in the story. It is one of the things I loved about Sonic Adventure 2.
Ratchet's already helmed a lot of games and only two of them really dealt with his character in a substantial way.

Let the new woman character take charge.

Oct 27, 2017
Rivet sounds a lot like Ashley from RE4, i wonder if it's the same voice actor playing her.
Game looks bonkers, but unfortunately r&c games do nothing for me gameplay wise :(

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope there is no auto strafe when you switch to a weapon, I always liked to do that manually or to use the weapons without strafing. It's also a shame the weighty feel/animations of the PS2 seem to be gone :/.

The game looks absolutely phenomal though, even on my phone. A more lively and interactive world is just what the franchise needed, kudos to IG (I also like that helipack animation btw, probably the best one to date).
I'm really Interested to hear more of the OST, here's hoping for less orchestral Hollywood stuff and more tracks resembling the PS2 games.
A shame I won't be able to play this anytime soon though, might have to borrow PS5 haha

Also, goons 4 less 🥰, they better let us go to Snivelak
The more hefty weight to Ratchet has been missing since Tools of Destruction really. After the PS2 games, Ratchet only got more and more nimble and light-footed, which is both good and bad imo. I too sort of miss the "more hefty" feeling of Ratchet from the PS2-era games, but I also like the more expanded moveset the games got going forward too.

Regarding the soundtrack, I don't think you have to worry honestly. Mark Mothersbaugh, one of the founders and main singer of the Post Punk/New Wave band DEVO, is doing the soundtrack. This is honestly one of the most exciting things about the game for me and it came out of nowhere. DEVO is one of my absolute favorite bands, and Mark has done a bunch of different soundtrack work throughout the years, stuff like Pee Wees Playhouse, Rugrats and Wes Anderson's films.

BestGriff

Oct 30, 2017
I'm already nerding out over the soundtrack. The bits and pieces we've heard so far are, imo, so much better than what we've been getting since QFB.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Bananas
EssentialMintyAgama-size_restricted.gif
This is great lol

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how much better looking PS4 games got from launch? Whew, I'm scared to see what's coming from the rest of Sony's 1st parties in the future for PS5.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is ratchet a moneky? what kinda animal is he?

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Returnal is a critical success and the new Ratchet gameplay looks like a Pixar movie on steroids. Good day for Sony! 🤣