• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
While it will never be widely profitable, Sony obviously cares about critical appeal and attraction of specific fans.

They have detailed telemetry of which new PS5 console users played this as their first game. If there is enough of them [lets say 100k+, total random number], they may always view this franchise as very important for attracting family/younger/platformer players.

Plus, Insomniac uses some black magic to create these stunning games with small team and resonable budget. We'll probably get these games for as long Insomniac wants to make them.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Some of you have interesting definitions of "flopped" and "did quite well".
Reminds me of how some people act about Fire Emblem Engage

Everything the devs told us shown that the devs wanted it to sell way more than it did, so while it did not bomb it clearly did not "sell well" especially after the last update we got

As for the new update of R&C it is good that it managed to break but still shame it did not do more

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the new title. Surely it should be the main focus since the old stuff was clearly outdated and from June 2020(!)

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
So it's seems the 2.2m number came from june 2020 power point and was just insomniac projection, that's why it have also unreleased game
Capture_decran_2023-12-19_a_23.03.09.png

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
As for the new update of R&C it is good that it managed to break but still shame it did not do more

It did do more, the last update was when PS5's were very scarce and it was still profitable after less than a year on shelves. Its also going to continue selling over the course of the PS5 gen same way Ratchet remake racked up sales over years on PS4

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It did do more, the last update was when PS5's were very scarce and it was still profitable after less than a year on shelves. Its also going to continue selling over the course of the PS5 gen same way Ratchet remake racked up sales over years on PS4

+ the PC release this year. Sure it wasn't a huge hit, but probably did 100k+ surely?

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, since one of the slides said Rift Apart did 145 million in NET sales, thats pure profit, no?

So it turns out, that game they were projecting to lose money actually made way more than 60 mil? Unless dev costs went higher ofc.

beebop

May 30, 2023
It was early in the gen and PS5 exclusive. That probably accounts for a lot of that.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of how some people act about Fire Emblem Engage

Everything the devs told us shown that the devs wanted it to sell way more than it did, so while it did not bomb it clearly did not "sell well" especially after the last update we got

The numbers are almost two years old at this point.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
+ the PC release this year. Sure it wasn't a huge hit, but probably did 100k+ surely?

Yeah there is that too. I just think we have to wait to see how it did towards later in the gen to see how big of a hit it was. Hell even GT Sport was very successful despite having just alright sales for the first couple of years

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, even Miles was not released when this prediction slide was made.

Miles sold more than this prediction early last year.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Reading the thread title and seeing the replies on page 1 threw me for a loop. So it made a profit then, nice. I'll be picking it up when I get a PS5 since R&C has been one of my all time favorite series. Happy to see it turned a profit and that it can still be around in this day and age. Big relief.

Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
That's the ecosystem Sony created for itself. It's not like these kinds of games can't sell, they just can't sell on a Playstation anymore because that's not the audience Sony spent the last decade cultivating.

There's an alternate timeline where Ratchet and Jak never stopped being on the Playstation Mt. Rushmore.

Did Sony change or did the market change and then Sony adapted? Having kid-friendly mascots like Ratchet, Clash or Jak and Daxter probably made more sense back when Sony's biggest competitor was Nintendo and not Xbox.

Hell, you can probably trace this back to the moment GTA became the most popular franchise on PS instead of Final Fantasy.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018