• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's rate the publishers on how they performed in 2019. Talking about released games, so not announced games. I'm going to start with big ones, but if you feel like there are smaller ones that deserve a high score or low one, feel free to do so. Also, let's not attack our opinions. Thank you.

Sony - 8.5/10
With releases like Death Stranding, Concrete Genie en Days Gone Sony had a good year in my opinion. Not their best ever, but solid all around. They also had a few smaller titles released like Medievil.

Nintendo - 9/10
Nintendo had a great year, highlights being Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Microsoft - 6/10
Most noteable releases were Gears 5, Halo Reach for PC and Age of Empires DE. Microsoft needs to do better on content and they know it.

Electronic Arts - 7/10
Most noteable releases were Apex Legends, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Anthem. You know what, aside from Anthem their year wasn't so bad. Also smaller gimes like Plants vs Zombies and Unraveled 2 were fun.

Activision - 8/10
Most noteable releases were Sekiro, CoD: Modern Warfare and CTR. Not that bad, especially with landing Sekiro.

Bethesda - 5/10
Most noteable releases were Rage 2 and Wolfenstein Youngblood. Fun games, but not good enough.

Square Enix - 7/10
Most noteable releases were Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and many remasters of old games. Overal a decent year, with only Shadowbringers seeming to be world class. KHIII was a major letdown to me.

Oct 24, 2019
Sony - 8.5/10

Microsoft - 5/10

Nintendo - 9/10

EA - 6.5/10

Activision - 7.5/10

Bethesda - 5/10

Capcom- 10/10

Square Enix - 7/10

Devolver Digital - 10/10

BigBen - 6/10

Focus Home Interactive - 10/10

Take-Two Interactive - 6/10

Ubisoft -4/10

Bandai Namco - 6/10

WB - 7/10

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Out of the ones I'm familiar with:

Sony - D+

Days Gone was forgettable, but decent. Death Stranding, on the other hand is the inverse of Fire Emblem: Fates (Conquest in particular) in that it had a good story, but its woefully awful gameplay drags it down completely.

Kudos to Sony for funding and publishing such an ambitious product, but it's difficult to deny that Sony's output this year was probably the weakest since 2014. It's a transition year, so Sony's output isn't too concerning, however.

Nintendo - C+

Nintendo's output was highly polarized this year.

Three Houses is up there with Xenoblade 1, Pokemon Black and White and Path of Radiance as both my GOTY and a top 5 Nintendo RPG. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the Switch's Kid Icarus: Uprising : excellent overall, albeit marred somewhat by control issues.

On the other hand, Mario Maker 2 and Astral Chain were disappointing. And no discussion of Nintendo this year would be complete without mentioning Sword and Shield, which has to be one of the most rushed, cynically designed and soulless products I've ever seen. It's as if Nintendo thought that Pokemon games didn't have to be good in order for them to sell as long as Wooloo looked cute - and they were right. And it honestly baffles me that both Three Houses as well as Sword and Shield had the same publisher.

C+ seems fine for Nintendo. If Three Houses didn't release, Nintendo would get a D at best, and if Pokemon was good, Nintendo would get an A.

Electronic Arts - D+

Anthem was abysmal. Jedi: Fallen Order was decent, but not great. It's a step up from 2017 and 2018, however.

Activision - F

On one hand, I don't like Sekiro, but I can at least respect how well it is designed, and CTR was pretty good.

On the other hand, fuck Activision for kowtowing so brazenly to the CCP. It's one thing to do business with Chinese companies, but it's an entirely different thing to actively try and censor Blitzchung for speaking up against a tyrannical government.

No amount of good games will ever make me forgive them for bending over backwards to Winnie the Pooh. Activision can release a BOTW-tier masterpiece (they never will, however) and I still wouldn't get it nowadays.

Square Enix - C+

Haven't played Shadowbringers, so I can't comment on it. Dragon Quest Builders was a nice little game, but similarly to Nintendo Kingdom Hearts 3 was a tremendous disappointment (albeit not as bad as Pokemon).

Capcom - A

DMC5 was amazing, and it single-handedly made Capcom the best publisher this year. I haven't played RE2, but I have heard really good things about it.

Overall, this was a very weak year, with only a few standout games, and some really underwhelming ones.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Only ranking based off games I've played - or consumed a ton of videos watching.

Sony - 7
Capcom - 9
EA - 5
Activision - 6
Square Enix - 7
505 Games - 8

Falcom and affliated publishers ( NISA, XSEED, etc) - 10

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Sony - 3/10, terrible year
Capcom - 8/10, great games but I wish Iceborne was standalone
EA - 8/10, NFS was fine, Star Wars was fantastic, Apex is incredible