• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
His role in the Street Fighter movie has always been one of those examples of bad movies with good actors in which I wondered what led the actor to participate in the project, and man, what a sad story.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I roomed with his kid the summer after his father died. Never knew how to broach the subject.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was known for a long while, but it's both a sad and heartwarming story at the same time.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've known about this for quite a while, but that last portion got me right in the feels.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's been ages since I saw it. Even as a kid I knew it wasn't good, but heck I still enjoyed the ride. Maybe I'll give it another go soon.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't knew that. That was an amazing decision by Raul Julia.

If it wasn't for him and Van Dame, this would be another Super Mario the Movie.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look it might be old but not everyone knows it, I didn't know this myself. It's okay to revisit topics you know also.

Back on topic, that's really sad. I'm still watching it as I type and I wonder if those kids still love Street Fighter, I bet very time they see M. Bison on the character select screen they feel something.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those performances in which you expect the actor to smile after the curtains fall down and he bows along with the rest of the cast to receive applause and cheering from the audience.

God I love that movie, it's bad but they had fun doing it and it shows!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is similar to Mads Mikkelsen in Death Stranding. His son is a huge fan of Kojima and was super excited when he mentioned he was offered the part, which is partly why he took it.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
And he was such a good actor he could be in that pos of a film and still entertain.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Yeah, been known for a while. I even remember the local press (Puerto Rico) talked about it even back then.

But more people should know it. Many times actors accept roles for multiple reasons. The cast talked about how Juliá was great to work with and even a gentleman, unlike the diva that was VanDamme.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favourite movie performances. Raul is mesmerising, so, so good.

I unashamedly love Street Fighter: The Movie. It's campy, stupid fun and makes no apologies for it.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it always irks me when I see or hear people say it's a shame that was his last big role. Then I tell them the reason behind it and they change their tune.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
For him, it was Tuesday.

I can't believe this amazing line is in this movie of all things, haha. Raul Julia was a treasure.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's been known that he did this movie for his kids. I think most didn't know he was in extreme pain during filming.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember reading a story about how they really wanted Raul Julia, and they met a very gaunt Raul Julia who still wanted to do the movie because of his kid. A great guy.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
He was a great actor. I recommend any ERA younger members to watch Raul Julia's older movies, like Romero, Tequila Sunrise and Kiss of the Spider Woman. Of course he did some comedy too like Addams Family.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Legendary actor with some stunning performances...

p11695_d_v8_aa.jpg

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The movie was absolute trash but Julia's performance alone is enough to make it worthwhile. I don't know how he was able to pull off Bison that well given what he had to work with. He was hammy as fuck but not so much that it was distracting or disrespectful to the source material. Just that perfect amount of cheese.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
They mention this on Retronauts multiple times each year lol whenever Street Fighter or game movies are brought up.

Oct 30, 2017
The movie was absolute trash but Julia's performance alone is enough to make it worthwhile. I don't know how he was able to pull off Bison that well given what he had to work with. He was hammy as fuck but not so much that it was distracting or disrespectful to the source material. Just that perfect amount of cheese.

I'll take it a step further, he balanced the sillyness and passion with such a pitch perfect gravitas that is far more than the actual videogame character source material M. Bison deserved of his talents. He was sick, dying, and in pain, but when the cameras rolled and "action" was yelled he acted like nothing was wrong with him and became in character. The man was a true professional and it really is enduring as it is heartbraking to read.

Oct 28, 2017
This two week old in depth article from The Guardian about the production of the movie is pretty awesome and shouldn't be missed, I think;

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...ter-movie-jean-claude-van-damme-kylie-minogue
Wow, that movie production sounds like an actual clusterfuck.

There's a scene where Ryu was to engage in a deadly sword fight with Vega (played by Jay Tavare), and Mann was supposed to have been well-drilled in fighting techniques – but the lessons kept being put off. "Then one day I was having lunch, and an assistant director came over to me and said: 'Hey, are you ready for your knife fight?' I said: 'What are you talking about? I don't know anything about it.'

I had to chuckle.

Edit: Wow this article is a gold mine.

"I couldn't talk about it at the time, but I can now: Jean-Claude was coked out of his mind," says de Souza. "The studio had hired a wrangler to take care of him, but unfortunately the wrangler himself was a bad influence.

So what is "wrangler" in this context?

Wikipedia said:
Wrangler (profession), a handler of animals, especially horses and cattle, or a professional who searches for and/or handles animals (or other products) for film productions

lmao

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
What blew my mind was that Julia did his own stunts. Sure, van Dam is famous for being a great stunt actor and doing his own Stunts, and it shows, but Julia was not experienced in doing stunts.

And he did those stunts while dying of cancer... What a boss dog.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched both Addams Family movies when they were on Netflix France and my god, I love both. Raul Julia was great as Gomez ! And yeah, he was the best actor in the Street Fighter movie.

I just can't believe how many sexual inuendoes and very bad swears there is in the Street Fighter movie, especially (only ?) from Jean-Claude "I'm... acting ?" Vandamme ?

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Can only echo that he was the best thing about the film. I was very disappointed with Chun Li in this film. If only Rose was around - her flamboyant scarves ensemble would have made for some iconic fight scenes that the film weirdly lacked.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved his performance. He made even the silliest lines that much more dramatic and memorable with it. It's also where I first developed my crush for Kylie Minogue lol.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the MST3K episode "Overdrawn at the memory bank" and actually enjoyed it a bit due to Julia's performance. He had a way of elevating trash.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The making of Street Fighter is arguably one of the greatest stories in modern Hollywood. I wish they'd make a film a la The Disaster Artist about it.

And to continue reiterating the fact, Raul Julia is one of the greatest actors in history who was taken from us before he became too powerful. RIP.