• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did people expect that lighting and shadow and mirror calculation and rendering are for free now?
Or maybe people expected 1080ti performance for less than a 1080ti, with all the technical progress after 2 years. I know I did lol, left disappointed. Did not expect "shadows" tbh.

This is nice for people with the money to blow, otherwise it's pretty meh.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I think I could use 1080p if Nvidia was able to scale it properly. Right now any non-native resolution is a blurry mess while consoles can at least handle 1080p with integer scaling on a 4K TV. It's been a requested feature for a few years now with no interest from Nvidia to actually implement it. I used to have a Dell 30" 2560x1600 display that did a much better job at upscaling than my GPU. I tried display and GPU scaling back and forth and the GPU was much blurrier.

I don't see myself gaming on a RTX and settling for a blurry resolution in exchange for better shadows and reflections. It will be interesting to see how graphics settings deal with raytracing, can we for example use lower quality RT to get better frame rates at the expense of image quality.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying BF5 doesn't hit 60fps at 1080p is flat out wrong. That's a lie or an incorrect understanding of what was being seen. It's much higher.

Also, expect huge gains. This was less than two weeks of work by DICE. They barely had access to these cards prior to this event.
Glad to hear it. As someone eyeing a 2080 or 2070 instead Im worried about the trickle down effect if the 2080 ti can't hold 60 fps.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Man if the non ray-traced benches aren't good AMD might actually have a chance in the GPU wars.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
And to think people in the gamescom thread genuinely believed there would be no performance loss with raytracing on. Lmfao.
This wasn't an unreasonable expectation.

They are saying, Ok if I want bleeding edge visuals I can turn on ray tracing and not gain frames over the previous gpu or I can do without it and gain frames with a visual quality I was already happy with.

This expectation they had isn't hard to grasp.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me what raytracing does? Why should I care about this? I watched the video and didn't see anything too impressive.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
People coming in to these threads with barely any info, half cocked really need to chill out.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I don't think "we'd bet it wasn't hitting 60fps either" warrants a thread title update stating it as fact, regardless if it true or not.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone saying BF5 doesn't hit 60fps at 1080p is flat out wrong. That's a lie or an incorrect understanding of what was being seen. It's much higher.

Also, expect huge gains. This was less than two weeks of work by DICE. They barely had access to these cards prior to this event.

This needs to be put in the thread topic.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Why lol? Maybe people just want the best card out there? It's not like you have to use the Raytrace settings.

But it it will still destroy consoles with the setting off.

I need the " feel like I'm taking crazy pills " gif.
Lmao dude that koolaid

Where does it say anywhere it is the best card out there?

The newest? Sure

The best? LOL
What exactly is ray traced in this? The shadows? The entire scene? I'm just curious... and yes, real-time ray tracing (even if only the shadows) is a huge step forward. Clearly, this is running at a playable frame rate on a $1200 graphics card. I wrote a ray tracer in a Computer Graphics class in College... it took several minutes to spit out a single image of a very simple scene. Seeing ray tracing coming into games at playable frame rates is very exciting stuff!
The shadows, reflection, ambient occlusion

Part of it is baked and pre-calculated and then the rest is real-time, like the material effects roughness and reflections and AO and multiple bounces

Seems like less dependence needed on global illumination when the raytraced part does have multiple bounces, also no need for screen space effects when the raytraced part is doing that job

But this is not ready for proper gaming, not even close, not at the current expectations of resolution and framerate

Hopefully when the next consoles hit this will be ready to ship, which means that it has to be being built into them right now (2 years prior to launch).

So it is a possibility this won't be a huge feature of the next consoles, but will be there to at least help with shading possibly in some respect (maybe not to this degree)

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what raytracing does? Why should I care about this? I watched the video and didn't see anything too impressive.

To add to the other explanation you got, in laymans terms that matter to you as a gamer: way better reflections without artifacting, way better shadows without jaggies, and better ambient occlusion/indirect lighting that is real time and more realistic (if you stand with a white shirt near a brightly lit green wall, it would reflect green light on your shirt).

All of these are doable now with tricks but the accuracy is dependant on how much work you put in your scene to "fudge" it, and if you wanna support expensive features like AO. Unity is forgiving with real time reflection support, high end shadows, and good global illumination, but it takes a lot of work to manually set up a scene ans real time reflections are super expensive.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
We went from hopping these new cards would deliver 4k/60fps with all the bells and whistles, to 1080p/60fps with some fancy shadows/reflections.. and that's with the 1300€ flagship. Yikes. Raytracing is cool on paper, but it's clearly not ready for mainstream adoption.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
30-50fps only? Not optimal but I'll take it
In 1080p though? ARE YOU HAVING A FUCKING LAUGH
Let's not judge so quickly here. BFV is much faster and we know the team had very little access to this hardware. I suspect TR is the same.

Also, TR is perhaps the least impressive playable game of the bunch in terms of how RTX is used. Resident Evil 2 and Metro look dramatically more impressive and ran like butter.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Raytracing hitting 30fps at 1080p on a brand new AAA game sounds incredibly promising to me. No one seriously thought it would emerge at 60fps 4K right? It's fucking raytracing. This tech will mature and it'll be fantastic.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017

How dare you bring some common sense into this topic! Things like drivers improving and optimization are just crazy talk.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
To add to the other explanation you got, in laymans terms that matter to you as a gamer: way better reflections without artifacting, way better shadows without jaggies, and better ambient occlusion/indirect lighting that is real time and more realistic (if you stand with a white shirt near a brightly lit green wall, it would reflect green light on your shirt).

All of these are doable now with tricks but the accuracy is dependant on how much work you put in your scene to "fudge" it, and if you wanna support expensive features like AO. Unity is forgiving with real time reflection support, high end shadows, and good global illumination, but it takes a lot of work to manually set up a scene ans real time reflections are super expensive.
Awesome thank you, that's a great explanation.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
To put in simple terms.

You get Toy Story visuals instead of reboot preseason three.

Videogame companies will be able to drastically reduce the manhours spent on simulating light when they can just generate a light source and tell that source to output x number of rays. This either should lead to faster development and thus more games released per year or an increased focus on other technical factors.

As a user expect a massive loss in performance but eventually way higher visual clarity and fidelity that was never seen before.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao dude that koolaid

Where does it say anywhere it is the best card out there?

The newest? Sure

The best? LOL

It's a card that's better than their previous cards. Why is that so hard to understand? Even if it was the exact same without the raytracing processors.. it still has them so by default it's better.

And I might get one.. later. I have a Vega 64 sitting in my main gaming pc right now so I don't think I quite qualify as been a gpu fanboy.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Raytracing hitting 30fps at 1080p on a brand new AAA game sounds incredibly promising to me. No one seriously thought it would emerge at 60fps 4K right? It's fucking raytracing. This tech will mature and it'll be fantastic.
Sure, it'll grow, but asking to buy in now at that price when the enthusiast market they are selling it to are accustomed to high frame rates or resolution seems a bit silly.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

It accurately lights a scene by bouncing simulated light rays around the area and computing the outcome (hence raytracing) as opposed to the modern "tricks" we use to fake what light would do. What this means is any fully raytraced scene will exhibit accurate lighting (like picking up colors from other sources diffusing through surface etc), accurate shadows that behave as a real shadow would (as opposed to a hard shadow map that doesn't exhibit the properties of a real shadow), as well as accurate real time reflections (as opposed to only affecting whats on the screen space or other inaccurate methods to fake it).

In practice you get a difference like this

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just realized that in 10 years we could have legit, honest to God, ray Trace rendering vr. Holy shit.

Maybe even five years.

Idk that I can t afford it, I will gladly go to a VR arcade (they exist) just to see it.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
It's still a damn good start. I won't get the first gen of RTX cards, but it certainly bodes well for the future.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
It's a card that's better than their previous cards. Why is that so hard to understand? Even if it was the exact same without the raytracing processors.. it still has them so by default it's better.

And I might get one.. later. I have a Vega 64 sitting in my main gaming pc right now so I don't think I quite qualify as been a gpu fanboy.
Nobody called you a fanboy, but that koolaid is strong if this is their "best" card

Where is it "better?" At the raytrace part whatever, but this shit ain't ready for prime time. I get where you are trying to angle this, that "one part" is better, but this is not a performance jump.

This is a technology shift that is sacrificing current rendering performance otherwise. That's a sidestep, not an upgrade.

Yea it's gonna happen at some point, but this isn't super relevant for current games for most people.

But I do honestly hope you enjoy the card, if you can afford it by all means, I would buy one if I cared enough. But for most this is irrelevant right now.

I'd personally just wait a couple of generations or three or four before jumping onto this part of the tech, let it mature a bit.

Also want to see what it does in the consoles.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are disatisfied with the effects or what RTX brings to the table, it's just that to get such performance and at 1080p mind you, you have to fucking shelve about 1300€ (some cards are hitting 1400€ here). It's a month worth of salary for people.
How is that in any way reasonable?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not judge so quickly here. BFV is much faster and we know the team had very little access to this hardware. I suspect TR is the same.

Also, TR is perhaps the least impressive playable game of the bunch in terms of how RTX is used. Resident Evil 2 and Metro look dramatically more impressive and ran like butter.

I'm glad someone who actually saw this stuff and knows what they're talking about is chiming in. Although, considering the general tenor of this thread, it might be like shouting at an F5 tornado.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
What if I don't care about Ray tracing and instead want higher fps? Can a 2070 push bfv to over 100fps at 1440p?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I've already preordered a 2080 but I'm just wondering if they'll have mobile versions too. I want to buy a laptop next week but it'd suck if new mobile GPUs came out in a few weeks /months

Only 2 weeks? That's actually crazy impressive.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason this is getting everyone's (its just a phrase, I know not everyone is pissed) goat is that the ray tracing focus came out of left field. The trend on the high end of pc gaming has been race to see how fast we can get to 4K60FPS and hell even 4k 144hrtz. The dream was a 4k 60fps capable xx80 card at $650, with a stretch goal of an xx70 card that could run 4k at 30fps. (High settings, of course) Nobody was thinking ray tracing. I sure wasn't. Now we've got these ray tracing cards coming but the specs don't lead anyone to believe that things have improved significantly on the 4k front. No one has seen real time ray tracing, so these isn't a built in demand for it, while plenty of "bleed edge" users have 4k displays.

Yeah, I think you have basically described where my head was at with this. I wanted something like:

2080 Ti- 4K100Hz, $750
2080- 4K60, $550
2070- 4K40ish, $450

What we got were crazy high prices and an emphasis on real-time ray tracing. Which is cool, but it does *fuck all* for me right now. And if performance isn't going to be acceptable at 1440p or 4K with ray tracing, I wouldn't even bother.

Again, ray tracing in real-time on consumer 3D hardware is cool. But that's not what we wanted. And those prices, no, I'll stick on my 1080 Ti @ 1440p144 and ride it out until the next consoles come out. Or maybe I'll do a full AMD build and ditch my GSYNC monitor and GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.