• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Judging by the reception here I guess next-gen consoles should focus on running current games at 4k/60fps instead of trying to actually improve graphics tech.

/s

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of some years ago when Batman Arkham was being released and there was something about "fog tech" that only Nvidia cards could run, but the hit on the performance was insane. Tomb Raider had the same problem with a tech that made Lara's hair better.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
With used stuff and older cards, PC gaming is still affordable, right? It's just not "affordable" at the edge of tech, which I guess ruffles a few feathers?

The 970 spoiled us all rotten. The crypto craze is mostly over so the used market is finally returning to reality, so things were looking up. $500 xx70 series card throwing cold water on that optimism.

Memory prices an issue and AMD has made it a one horse race since 2016.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
I want this Lara in the games!

As for the RTX performance, this is what I expected, and it should still look amaaazing with Gsync :)

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the reception here I guess next-gen consoles should focus on running current games at 4k/60fps instead of trying to actually improve graphics tech.

/s

And then people will be shocked when the developers will focus on making the games prettier (since that sells the game better) than on having them running at 60 fps, practically a repeat of the PS4/XB1 launch.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah cause most people wait for new nvidia GPUs for raytracing.

With the graphics leap raytracing provides it should very well be what people wait for new GPU's for. I don't think it's even remotely a stretch to say raytracing is a leap as big as 3-4 GPU generations in terms of what they can do with lighting now.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing is the future. In 10 years.

It probably won't take that long. 5 years to be the standard seems doable.

The ironic thing is if next gen consoles can somehow pull ray tracing off then we'll have to hear constantly about how big of a deal it is. People joke in these threads but it's true, none of this shit ever matters to most people until playstation can do it :\

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Some people did, get over it. Buy whatever Intel or AMD releases if it bothers you so much. The levels of salt in this thread are absurd.
There wouldn't be so much salt if the cards weren't only a minor increase in performance aside from Ray tracing and also super expensive. The 2080 is basically a 1080 Ti 1.5 years later, but more expensive and with Ray tracing. The 2080 Ti has a $500 price increase for maybe 25-30% increased performance aside from the Ray tracing. When the new tech has a huge performance cost and is the main highlight of the cards, things are going to get very salty.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

The ironic thing is if next gen consoles can somehow pull ray tracing off then we'll have to hear constantly about how big of a deal it is. People joke in these threads but it's true, none of this shit ever matters to most people until playstation can do it :\

I doubt we'll see ray tracing on next gen consoles. Not that they couldn't push for it, but they already have their hands full just trying to achieve 60fps at 4k.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

/s
there are many ways to improve games, just look at the tlou2 or rdr2, on current gen. I can't imagine how games will look like on next-gen consoles; what Naughty Dog will bring us (without raytracing).
Imo, if the hybrid solution can't deliver 4K60fps on a 1.300 gpu, then they should've waited for 7nm and for a better price. There's so much wrong about these cards. Most people would've prefered a 20 Tflop 2080Ti for $699, and wait for RT to get better/cheaper in a few years.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
How pipelined is Nvidia's RTX implementation?

Can it be working on rasterizing the next frame while doing the raytracing effects for a previous frame?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Another reason this is getting everyone's (its just a phrase, I know not everyone is pissed) goat is that the ray tracing focus came out of left field. The trend on the high end of pc gaming has been race to see how fast we can get to 4K60FPS and hell even 4k 144hrtz. The dream was a 4k 60fps capable xx80 card at $650, with a stretch goal of an xx70 card that could run 4k at 30fps. (High settings, of course) Nobody was thinking ray tracing. I sure wasn't. Now we've got these ray tracing cards coming but the specs don't lead anyone to believe that things have improved significantly on the 4k front. No one has seen real time ray tracing, so these isn't a built in demand for it, while plenty of "bleed edge" users have 4k displays.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Threads seems like a call for people to bash these new cards and proclaim how trash they are, despite nobody having access to them or benches. I get it, they're priced high. Nevermind a developer at DICE hinting at final game performance with this enabled being pretty solid. AFAIK the RTX features of Shadow of the Tomb Raider won't even be available at launch. That should tell you it's not ready and unoptimized in it's early state. Now, why they choose to still trot it out here like this, I have no idea.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
There wouldn't be so much salt if the cards weren't only a minor increase in performance aside from Ray tracing and also super expensive. The 2080 is basically a 1080 Ti 1.5 years later, but more expensive and with Ray tracing. The 2080 Ti has a $500 price increase for maybe 25-30% increased performance aside from the Ray tracing. When the new tech has a huge performance cost and is the main highlight of the cards, things are going to get very salty.

Then don't buy it, get AMD's next card whatever form it ends up taking. It's completely reasonable you can't afford it but don't say it shouldn't exist.
I doubt we'll see ray tracing on next gen consoles. Not that they couldn't push for it, but they already have their hands full just trying to achieve 60fps at 4k.

Given the work that went into it, the proprietary tech, and the fact the next gen console rumors seem to point to AMD again you're probably right. At the very best we might see a scaled down Turing Architecture chip with limited tensor cores in the Switch 2.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the new Rotterdam map in Battlefield 5, however, was more convincing of how good real-time ray tracing can make a game look. There is a more tangible difference in the fidelity of the gameworld with the RTX reflections that DICE is using in its Nvidia-specific build of the new multiplayer shooter.

And everything has reflections. From the bonnets of cars reflecting the muzzle flash of your rifle, to the puddles on the floor, and the about-to-be-blown-out windows of a Dutch tram reflecting gouts of flame from a red-hot tank. The wooden stock of your gun has low level, ray traced reflections on it, hell, even the watery eyes of your soldier seems to.

Maybe you'll be able to watch that reflected light go out as bayonet them, such is the attention to detail that DICE has thrown at this seeming labour of graphical love.

But of course there is still a hefty performance hit to the game. Again we were capturing the game resolution at 1080p and while we couldn't bring the fps counter up in the show demo version, we'd bet it wasn't hitting 60fps either.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-hands-on

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we have working ray tracing at that resolution at those frame rates is still really remarkable. It will be really interesting to see how developers will be implementing RTX technology into video games and other applications, this is just one example. I'm very interested to see if it's possible for developers to do the ray tracing rendering pass at a lower resolution like 1920x1080 and then upsample the output to something like 3840x2160.

Can't wait to play around with the 2080 Ti i have ordered and maybe look into the DXR rendering API's.

00ich

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

It's common sense. Without support from PS5 and the next Xbox raytracing will be a niche feature, bolted onto engines like PhysX

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we have working ray tracing at that resolution at those frame rates is still really remarkable. It will be really interesting to see how developers will be implementing RTX technology into video games and other applications, this is just one example. I'm very interested to see if it's possible for developers to do the ray tracing rendering pass at a lower resolution like 1920x1080 and then upsample the output to something like 3840x2160.

This, too. I remember not too long ago people speculating that it would be a decade or more before we could do real-time ray tracing in real time.

Still, disappointing for anyone spending $1300 on the first generation hardware that is sacrificing performance for non-ray tracing applications in order to support ray tracing.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We have 0 benchmarks. Everyone needs to chill the hell out.

Again, if being an early adopter for new tech isn't your jam, stick with the 1000 series. Or wait for Intel or AMD and hope they can match performance.

That's how it works on these forums. No one gives a shit about PC being bleeding edge anymore despite it being one of the core benefits of the platform.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
First gen silicon with first gen API and first gen games.

Ray Tracing really is the Holy Grail and it's exciting to see even this performance, but we are still in a rendering world. And Nvidia offered no performance numbers which has me concerned .

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
How was that foolish to think that a large part of the silicon dedicated to ray tracing was supposed to offload that task from the shader cores to run it without performance loss ?
Yeah, that was the whole premise behind the chip design which allocated dedicated hardware to raytracing and AI vs using that space for "vanilla" rendering performance.

If it doesn't do that, the whole premise of the card is way too early. Mind you, a 1080Ti couldn't even come close to these results by clearly if this is the best 2080To could accomplish, it was released too early.

Hopefully between game optimization, driver optimization and perhaps future design fully taking the hardware into account the results will be better.

Also, folks should just stop thinking raytracing for next gen consoles, it's not happening.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Sure BF5 looks impressive, but that is a heavy performance hit. I expected more of a 1300 euro gpu

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
It's a necessary step to an eventual "given" effect that will be around for a long time. I guess it'll depend on the implementations too, i mean, there's not enough data from just that kind of comment to justify or not an entire graphical feature.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The footage doesn't look good enough to warrant that much of a performance hit imho. I still prefer higher framerates.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the performance from a 2080ti then it's safe to say I won't be ray tracing shit with a 2070.

I don't want to go back to 1080p anyways, so I'm interested to see how it does in 4K.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hit to performance on that video is massive. If its indicative of the general performance ray traced games are going to have then this is just another hairworks. I was hype for the TI but now I'm thinking I might just keep my 980 and maybe wait for the 3000 series. The next big graphic benchmark is going to be cyberpunk imo and I doubt that game's coming out in 2019.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So how do we run ONLY reflections/maybe shadows with the raytracting, and leave the rest of the engine the way it was?

I feel like that is a great compromise until the future.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how do we run ONLY reflections/maybe shadows with the raytracting, and leave the rest of the engine the way it was?

I feel like that is a great compromise until the future.
Not possible. Raytracing is a fundamentally different way of rendering a 3D scene from the usual rasterization. You can't really mix and match.

Apr 9, 2018
Completely agree. Not sure what the fuck people were expecting here.

People just want to shit on NVIDIA.

You can't be serious? What were people expecting from a $1250 and $850 graphics card? A damn sight more than that salesman up on the stage showed last night, how about that. Not a shit looking demo of TR with poor performance and 90 minutes of smoke and mirrors.

Can you imagine the shitstorm if AMD tried to do something even remotely similar with the price and hiding of game benchmarks. But because its Nvidia they should get more of a free pass apparently.

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I am crazy or maybe I just haven't seen the best piece of content yet, but while I see how the image quality is better, I don't see how it justifies the higher price and performance hit. I can't wait to see what it looks like in enthusiasts hands. Will FF XV support this?

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Unreleased hardware, unreleased software

Let's act like it's the final product

I'm going from 1089ti to 2080ti. I'm hoping for a 30% increase minus the ray tracing stuff

If it's less then that, then I'll most likely cancel

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The hit to performance on that video is massive. If its indicative of the general performance ray traced games are going to have then this is just another hairworks. I was hype for the TI but now I'm thinking I might just keep my 980 and maybe wait for the 3000 series. The next big graphic benchmark is going to be cyberpunk imo and I doubt that game's coming out in 2019.

It's not the same game, but Rise of the Tomb Raider ran at around 160-170fps on a 1080ti with a top end CPU, at 1080p. So it's possible that activating RTX cuts down the framerates down to a third of max.

Just speculating right now though, as we have nothing outside of this article to base anything on.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Raytracing is the future for realistic lighting and shadows. It's still in its early stages though but you've got to start somewhere.

Will be picking up one for my wife and one for myself down the road. Waiting on reviews to make a decisions first. But the founders edition seems to probably be the best bet with the silent cooling.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So that also shows, i guess, that it will need some fitting art direction to see the benefits of raytracing, cause right now not one people without precise tech knowledge would say "wow the light is next gen in that game"
From my limited knowledge i can see some nice natural soft shadowing with distance but i mean... Light can be faked pretty well right now in games. It's going to be difficult to show something that people find really different.

Apr 9, 2018
Maybe I am crazy or maybe I just haven't seen the best piece of content yet, but while I see how the image quality is better, I don't see how it justifies the higher price and performance hit. I can't wait to see what it looks like in enthusiasts hands. Will FF XV support this?

There really isn't a great deal more to its early implementation than better reflections. Like that is it. Anything more than that would require substantially more of the die space being dedicated to ray tracing than just something bolted onto a Pascal chip and used as an excuse to add $200-300 on top of prices.

OP
OP

Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people will be surprised at how well this will run in their respective final releases. :)
Well....

These guys played BF 5 with raytracing on and they weren't hitting 1080p 60FPS either.

BF5 raytracing performance preview:

Again we were capturing the game resolution at 1080p and while we couldn't bring the fps counter up in the show demo version, we'd bet it wasn't hitting 60fps either. And in a competitive online shooter visual fidelity is arguably far less important than getting a high frame rate. And running at a higher resolution, without the ray traced reflections, would likely be preferable too as you could actually see more detail at range for those precision shots from downtown.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-hands-on

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Not possible. Raytracing is a fundamentally different way of rendering a 3D scene from the usual rasterization. You can't really mix and match.
Whilst you're right, I don't think this is exactly the case. It doesn't seem like BFV is using ray tracing for its shadows or GI solutions, that seems to be a much more conventional rasterised systems. Happy to be proven wrong if there's any proof out there that they're using a fully ray traced renderer, but as it stands I think they're only using it as a reflection solution to replace planar or screen space systems. So what we're looking at is in fact some kind of hybrid.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
That's a bit disapointing. Hopefully the non ray tracing performance is really good, otherwise I might settle for a 1070/1080 if it gets cheap enough or wait until the next batch of gpus.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Is this some sort of behind the scenes fun or she did look at the camera?
Lmao I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

About the topic at hand, I want to take this opportunity to thank in advance all of the early adopters for paving the way for raytracing in the future.

I'm sure as hell not going to contribute if the raytracing tech in the cards aren't ready for prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.